Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Star73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arkansas (Hypothyroidism, Gluten-free)
Posts: 6,703
Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Natural mood elevators

I was wondering if any of you on thyroid medicine take a natural mood elevator and which one? I'm not depressed but I do deal with PMS or PMDD. In the past I was on Lexapro and it worked great , but I really don't want to take a prescription antidepressant again.

There are a couple of herbal mood elevators I'm looking at and researching...but was just curious as to what other people take. I'm not looking for medical advice. I know you guys aren't doctors I just want to know what works for you.

I have found that walking more is helping....but I just get irritable at TOM... After TOM I'm great! Oh the joys of being female
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 470
Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
B complex is what I take, I started with B-100 but now only have to take B-50

My GP suggested this to me just after my mother passed away and it really works. around PMS time if I notice negative thoughts I take an extra one right away and within 30 minutes things are on an even keel.
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
StyngerIsAScorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Still down the rabbit hole....
Posts: 3,650
Stats: Me/LessOfMe/JustRight
WOE: LC/Under 20/40
Start Date: March 2013
I bought some St. John's Wort but never took it after doing some reading on it. I find that LC really does boost my mood and my energy.
And ditto to the Vitamin B!
StyngerIsAScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:32 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Star73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arkansas (Hypothyroidism, Gluten-free)
Posts: 6,703
Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
ohhh I need to get some B vitamins.... should I get the sublingual B-complex or just B?
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 470
Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
ohhh I need to get some B vitamins.... should I get the sublingual B-complex or just B?
I take a B complex and B12 (i'm deficient in B12 as are many people), the B12 is sub-lingual the B complex is a capsule.
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!
 
NutinHonie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 7,807
Gallery: NutinHonie
Stats: 209/173/145
Start Date: 10/1/08
The Mood Cure by Julia Ross is an excellent book.
NutinHonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
.
 
ravenrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: California
Posts: 9,653
Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I took St. John's Wort for awhile, and my husband much longer. I don't really think it did anything for either of us.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:54 AM   #8
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
St. John's Wort had me in hospital for three days/nights. Guess what? Not everyone can take these 'natural' mood elevatorrs if they are also hypothyroid. Especially Hashimoto's with high antibodies. Be careful.

Oh, the St. Johns Wort worked well for hubby but it also really bound up his incoming Armour (his FT's were in bottom of range if he took St. Johns within six hours of his hormone).

It's all individual. After all, in a five year study years ago, we saw several with Hashi's react quite badly to L Carnitine and also to Melatonin (another one that brings on the antibody attacks sometimes in some people).

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:38 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 106
Gallery: dollface#10
I take SAM-e with good results.
dollface#10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #10
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
There's another one I can't take, lol, SAM e. Hives, etc. More antibody reaction from my Sjogrens from that one. I'm tellin' ya....I have to stick with just a few things to avoid reactions.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member
 
Jorose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 869
Gallery: Jorose
Holy moly Pam, you are a walking medical miracle! And very much appreciated
One sup that the doc has me on is something called "Mood Food" by Xymogen. It's a pharmaceutical grade sup. but you can get it on the net.
It's got Gaba, 5HTP, B6 and a couple of other things in it. She put me on it from day one because my anxiety and depression were out of control. If I miss it, I do indeed notice it. (Please don't tell me there's something in there I shouldn't be taking, Pam, it helps my crazy brain, lol!)
Jorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!
 
inatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Alpharetta,Ga.
Posts: 17,854
Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
l carnitine binds my thyroid hormones and i feel tired.. endo prescribed that as a trial.. mostly he says it doesnt work..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Star73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arkansas (Hypothyroidism, Gluten-free)
Posts: 6,703
Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorose View Post
Holy moly Pam, you are a walking medical miracle! And very much appreciated
One sup that the doc has me on is something called "Mood Food" by Xymogen. It's a pharmaceutical grade sup. but you can get it on the net.
It's got Gaba, 5HTP, B6 and a couple of other things in it. She put me on it from day one because my anxiety and depression were out of control. If I miss it, I do indeed notice it. (Please don't tell me there's something in there I shouldn't be taking, Pam, it helps my crazy brain, lol!)
I have a friend on 5HTP...that is one of the ones I was researching. Do you buy directly from the company?
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:36 AM   #14
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
I can't do the Gaba either...I have autoimmune disease. (PAN)

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:16 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
magnamater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,096
Gallery: magnamater
I use 5htp, which I buy here at netrition. Have used successfully for 8 years. Under instructions from doctor which is my primary thyroid doctor. And I do have Hashi's.
magnamater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!
 
DivineHealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 1,922
Gallery: DivineHealth
Stats: On my way to where I was - only better!
WOE: Atkins 72
So many of you can really *feel* the difference almost immediately when you take things... I don't ever get that.:blush:

I take compounded B12 & B-complex injections once a week... don't feel any difference.

I have tried SAM-e, 5HTP, St John's Wort... nada, nothing, zippo.

I've tried many homeopathic remedies (Ignatia, Sepia, Aurum) and there is no change - good or bad.

I take CALM every night, supposedly to help sleep, and feel nothing different.

Even my bioidentical hormones (progesterone, testosterone and estrogen)... I can't tell any difference taking them or not - at least in the short run.
__________________
Divine Health aka Tina

You're not alone. No matter what the devil may tell you, you are not alone. God intends to see you set free - spirit, soul and body. So, wipe your tears, pull your shoulders back, hold your head up and let's get on the road! Jerry Savelle
DivineHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 1,100
Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
Tina...I was like that for a while around menopause. Nothing helped, nothing worked, didn't feel a thing on anything I tried. I have no idea why that happened, but fortunately, for me, it has changed now and I can easily fine tune things and feel the difference right away.

I don't remember your age, but wonder if it has anything to do with being on the "brink" of menopause??? But I think you are in your early 40's so many this is totally off!?!?

I took B injections (B6, B12, folic acid) weekly (did them myself) for over a year and never felt a thing (other than the needle in my derrierre!) and the doc said that was not typical and that I should just stop.

I hope that you will have a breakgthrough one of these days!!! Just wanted to give you some "hope" that it can happen.....
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!
 
DivineHealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 1,922
Gallery: DivineHealth
Stats: On my way to where I was - only better!
WOE: Atkins 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimers View Post
Tina...I was like that for a while around menopause. Nothing helped, nothing worked, didn't feel a thing on anything I tried. I have no idea why that happened, but fortunately, for me, it has changed now and I can easily fine tune things and feel the difference right away.

I don't remember your age, but wonder if it has anything to do with being on the "brink" of menopause??? But I think you are in your early 40's so many this is totally off!?!?

I took B injections (B6, B12, folic acid) weekly (did them myself) for over a year and never felt a thing (other than the needle in my derrierre!) and the doc said that was not typical and that I should just stop.

I hope that you will have a breakgthrough one of these days!!! Just wanted to give you some "hope" that it can happen.....

Thanks, Mimers I keep hearing about this hope, but haven't experienced manifestation of it yet.

I wish I was early 40s - I really liked that woman! I am 52. I was diagnosed to be in "peri" back in 2005 and started on bio-identical hormones then, and have been on them since. The dosages are mainly based on regular lab results. I still have monthly periods, though they are starting to "act up" a bit these past few months. Don't have a lot of the moods symptoms the OP Star73 is speaking of... mine seem to be mostly adrenal and Hashi's related. And the continual trudging through it all, doing all the *right* things with no relief, certainly isn't "mood elevating"
DivineHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:17 PM   #19
Major LCF Poster!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 1,100
Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
Oh Tina....sounds like you are definitely going through "the change"......and I am so hopeful that once you are "out the other side", you will have so many things resolve! I felt the same way at age 50 when I was where you are......please keep hope alive!!! :-)
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #20
DJ
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 31,407
Gallery: DJ
Stats: just depressing.
Start Date: August 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NutinHonie View Post
The Mood Cure by Julia Ross is an excellent book.
This.

L-tryptophan
5-HTP
St. John's Wort
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:47 PM   #21
DJ
Way too much time on my hands!
 
DJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 31,407
Gallery: DJ
Stats: just depressing.
Start Date: August 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
St. John's Wort had me in hospital for three days/nights. Guess what? Not everyone can take these 'natural' mood elevatorrs if they are also hypothyroid. Especially Hashimoto's with high antibodies. Be careful.

Oh, the St. Johns Wort worked well for hubby but it also really bound up his incoming Armour (his FT's were in bottom of range if he took St. Johns within six hours of his hormone).

It's all individual. After all, in a five year study years ago, we saw several with Hashi's react quite badly to L Carnitine and also to Melatonin (another one that brings on the antibody attacks sometimes in some people).

Pam
I've found Melatonin and Valarian Root to be horrible on my moods (as a person with bipolar disorder that leans more depressive), how interesting.

Either one is a guaranteed spin into horrendous depression for me.
DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!
 
DivineHealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 1,922
Gallery: DivineHealth
Stats: On my way to where I was - only better!
WOE: Atkins 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ View Post
I've found Melatonin and Valarian Root to be horrible on my moods


Melatonin makes me feel like my limbs don't belong to my body... it is almost like a restless leg syndrome... so hard to describe.

So many herald it as a wonderful cure for sleep trouble - and it works marvelously for my hubby - but it drives me bonkers.
DivineHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!
 
Star73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Arkansas (Hypothyroidism, Gluten-free)
Posts: 6,703
Gallery: Star73
Stats: 238/220/140
WOE: LC
Start Date: 10/01/2012
ugh Melatonin put me in a mental fog...even through the next day. I can't take that stuff!
Star73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #24
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineHealth View Post
Melatonin makes me feel like my limbs don't belong to my body... it is almost like a restless leg syndrome... so hard to describe.

So many herald it as a wonderful cure for sleep trouble - and it works marvelously for my hubby - but it drives me bonkers.
YES THIS!! Even my lips and fingertips go numb and I'm antsy and 'itchy' all night. My doc says it's a thing about antibodies and melatonin...melatonin actually 'excites' the TPO antibodies.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:49 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!
 
DivineHealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 1,922
Gallery: DivineHealth
Stats: On my way to where I was - only better!
WOE: Atkins 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
YES THIS!! Even my lips and fingertips go numb and I'm antsy and 'itchy' all night. My doc says it's a thing about antibodies and melatonin...melatonin actually 'excites' the TPO antibodies.

Pam
That makes so much sense about the melatonin with the Hashi's....

I get that real antsy stuff, too.
I also get it with any type of benadryl-type meds (sudafed, OTC sleep aids, any of the PM's, cold remedies, etc)...anything with diphendyramine.
DivineHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #26
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
I was taking a supplement to bring my cortisol levels down and another doc gave me Allegra one time. BIG MISTAKE!!!! Then I found out that no one with hypothyroidism should take Allegra (the plumonologist had several case studies for me to read).

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:25 PM   #27
Major LCF Poster!
 
DivineHealth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sunny Southern California
Posts: 1,922
Gallery: DivineHealth
Stats: On my way to where I was - only better!
WOE: Atkins 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
I was taking a supplement to bring my cortisol levels down and another doc gave me Allegra one time. BIG MISTAKE!!!! Then I found out that no one with hypothyroidism should take Allegra (the plumonologist had several case studies for me to read).

Pam

I've been taking one Allegra (generic) every day for over three years to help with sinus congestion. Not one doc has every said a thing about it being trouble for hypothyroid...... even my new practically a miracle worker doc.

Where can I find out about this interaction???

P.S. They gave me Allegra BECAUSE I couldn't take the benadryl types.
DivineHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #28
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
They gave me Zyrtec cuz I can't tolerate the binding effect (and side effects..like I'm hyper) of the Allegra.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #29
BPM
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 509
Gallery: BPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star73 View Post
ugh Melatonin put me in a mental fog...even through the next day. I can't take that stuff!
The two times I tried melatonin it did not help me sleep at all and gave me horrible nightmares (I never have nightmares).
BPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:27 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!
 
susique333's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 55 years old, I live in Omaha, Nebraska
Posts: 1,519
Gallery: susique333
Stats: started at 230+ Type2 Diabetes Insulin
WOE: LOW CARB, higher fat
Start Date: summer 2007 RESTART May 2012
I use 5-htp for carbohydrate cravings. I also use .5 of a 1 mg tablet of melatonin if I cant get to sleep which works terrific. My son who is on Concerta was told by his Dr he could go up to 3mg if he cant sleep and he tolerates that high a dose. I found the smallest amount that is effective works the best when it comes to melatonin. I too have vivid (no nightmares) dreams when I take it.
susique333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.