Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lkelley36
High Blood Calcium level - Help!

I got my blood test back from the doctor, My calcium was 10.6 being .3 out of range. I have been reading for two days about this and trying to find info on this site. I have found that I probably have parathyroid disease. From what I have read there is like only 1 percent chance that it is cancer related. I am also hashi/hypo, I take Armour Thyroid (60), I do take Diazide for my blood pressure, and also have been supplementing with vit. D3. My vit. d level was 106 on 2000 iu a day and I was told to go down to1000 iu.

Can the vit D level have anything with my calcium level coming back high. I have read on the internet both ways. Some say yes, but it would have to be severe, some say no, it doesn't have anything to do with it.

I haven't gone back to the doctor. I guess I am going to have to go back to the endo.

Some advice please!!! I am so scared!!!
lkelley36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Oh....and I forgot. I have also been on Stillman/Atkins diet. I know some say low carb isn't good for the thyroid...but that is the only way I have been able to lose weight. I have been going off of it from time to time to resynch my body....anyway, I saw somewhere that eating only meat could cause high blood calcium....it that true?

Thanks again...

ls
Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jorose
Pam can give you much more info on this as she has/had it herself.
Here is a thread about it, some good info. I think Pam is on vacation, hopefully you'll hear something from her soon...try not to be too scared, I know, easier said than done...
Parathyroidism
Jorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #4

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I had high blood calcium for a year and a half before they diagnosed the problem. It was awful! Are you finding your mouth is really dry at night and you have to get up and go to the bathroom about every hour? I did and that sleep disturbance was about the worst part.

Mine ended up being a reaction to the insulin I was taking, Lantus. A very unusual thing. It had to do with my pituitary and the IGF 1 (Insulin-like growth factor 1.)

From what I see, there are a lot of possibilities of what could be causing this. Don't assume it's parathyroid. I highly recommend not stressing out and going back to the endocrinologist at your soonest opportunity. This is one of those areas that's really just too complex to figure out from reading the internet, in my opinion.

Having such high blood calcium for so long caused me to have kidney damage. If I had realized how fast that was happening, I would have put more pressure on the doctors to figure it out sooner!

Best of luck. *hugging you tight*
Old 09-24-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
can you post your labs with lab ranges? Any/all labs?
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:37 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Well, from everything I have read, it is pretty certain of parathyroid. That sight is a good one Jorose....thanks... Since everything else seems to look good, I guess it would be great to think that it is parathyroid other than anything else.... The parathyroid sight says it is about 99%, but I am going to make an appt.

I don't figure my regular docs really know much about this. They have been treating my thyroid, but admittedly don't go by much more than TSH. The labs I got were just the CMP. Liver and Kidneys were fine, all the rest were normal. Haven't had any other test in a while. Just the calcium, which like I said was 10.6, don't remember the low range but the high is 10.3.They did a blood count because I went in sick. Everything was OK there, white count fine, chest fine, just conjested and coughing with nasal drainage.

I think this has only been recently. I knew I hadn't felt right for the last couple of months, and normal not sleeping has been worse. I have been feeling just kind of weak and my anxiety has been worse at times. I drink water all the time anyway, because of my diet. Just finally got to feeling better from my thyroid and now this!! Gee Weez!! Thanks, and let me know if anyone knows anymore on all this. Hopefully I can get in to the Endo....I stopped going to her because it was hard to get in and had to wait for sooo long...I work and can't stay in the doc office forever...

Thanks,

ls (Sorry so long...)
Old 09-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Have an appt on Oct. 4. What should I ask for? Just the PTH test?...

ls
Old 09-25-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

ravenrose,

What kind of test did they do to find out why your calcium was high? I am really lost on this.

Thanks,

ls
Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkelley36 View Post
ravenrose,

What kind of test did they do to find out why your calcium was high? I am really lost on this.

Thanks,

ls
oh, they thought it was possibly multiple myeloma, so I had a bone marrow thing done... there were a lot of things and thankfully my memory isn't so clear on them. it was a bad period.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:56 AM   #10
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
I had hyperparathyroidism. They removed the tumors. I'm fine. BUT..my blood calcium (not just a blood TEST, it's a different test) was 20 THOUSAND times the normal...higher than.

It's kind of a moot point NOW isn't it? With the fact that there's a new test for hyperparathyroidism and all??? When I had it (20 yrs. or so ago) there wasn't. They find the tumor by ultrasound...what's your ultrasound look like?

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Wow!! I just found out and am freaking out. I go to the doc on Oct. 4. I didn't go back to my regular docs office. Figured they were going to send me to an endo anyway.

ls
Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #12
Thyroid Patient Advocate

It was a very easy operation, they made me stay though, cuz the parathyroids control your calcium. Since I don't have any now...I take huge dosage of calcitrol, but otherwise, the pain in my hips, and bones (it was AWFUL...could barely walk..mine got that out of control!) went away in a month after surgery, OH, and I went back to work 10 hours on my feet five DAYS after the surgery. It's not all that bad. Sometimes they have to wait till the little tumor grows before they can take it through surgery.

Pam
Old 09-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

I have read that vit D levels in excess and also meat only diets can raise your blood calcium Also I take Diazide for blood pressure (which is also on the list of high blood calcium). I have stopped the vit. D and gone off my stillman's/atkins diet (that in itself scares me, I don't know how to eat any other way and not gain weight). Wonder if any any and/or all of the above could have done it? But then on the parathyroid site, it says that if you have a high blood calcium, then it is 99% change that it is the parathyroid. All the other blood levels were fine, so that is good. Just worried, and don't know what they are going to do when I get there. Not to mention everything I read starts talking about cancer!! Glad the surgery was easy though. Can't believe those little things can do so much harm!!

Thanks,

ls
Old 09-27-2010, 01:35 PM   #14
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Um, I don't know what YOU are reading, but less than 1% of all parathyroid tumors are cancerous.

Pam
Old 09-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I was talking about the high blood calcium itself. Glad to know that if it is caused by parathyroid tumors, it is rare for cancer. Seems like soooo many things can cause the high blood calcium though. I am just a nervous wreck...... Maybe it will go down without taking all the vit. D and not being on a protein diet.

ls
Old 09-27-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Did you stop taking the Vit D without a reading of your level? I ask because I've been supplementing D for about 2 years, and my level is still lower than optimum, although my blood calcium is in the high 9s. I would not take--or stop taking--a supplement unless I knew why.

Although from what I've read about high blood calcium, parathyroid is the most common problem when only the calcium level is too high, all the conditions I've read about seem to be easily fixed. It doesn't seem to be something to get hysterical about but to simply wait and see what happens when you see the doctor. Most likely this will involve more testing, so it's unlikely that you'll get an instant diagnosis.

I know it's easy for me to say relax because this isn't my problem, but I've been in your situation with other conditions, and I've learned that worrying doesn't help anything. Seeing the doctor and getting the process of diagnosis/treatment started is all you can do.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:13 PM   #17

atkins is not a high meat diet.. its supposed to be high fat(replacing carbs). keep your protein at about 1g/lbm or so and you should be fine...

you dont have to abandon your diet.

you just need to breathe and fret ONLY when you actually have something to fret over...
Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Leo,

My vit. D level was 106 when I was taking 2000 iu a day. The endo told me to go down to 1000 iu. Haven't had it taken again, but I figure it hasn't had time to get low. I know I shouldn't be as upset, I keep reading the parathyroid website to keep me from being way upset. When I go out and look at other stuff, they start talking about all kinds of cancers. I am going to the doctor Oct. 4. The practice I am going to does have two parathyroid doctors. Course I couldn't get into my normal endo or any doctor soon, it was a very long wait time. Didn't think it would be good to hold off. I am seeing a endo nurse practicioner first at the same practic, which is fine with me. At least she will be familiar with the parathyroid.

Inatic,

I was mainly doing Stillman's, which is low fat and only protein. I was going off of it every once in a while, just cause I don't think you should stay on it that long. That is why I said Atkins/Stillman's...But you are correct, guess I could stay on a more Atkins based diet, just without all the fat. I have to have SOME fat I have found out....but Atkins let's you have way to much...lol...

Thanks yall for your comments. I will try to stop worrying so much!

ls
Old 09-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #19

atkins works with the high fat because you are replacing those calories from carbs with fat. Fat loss for most is cals in/cals out, except when you through in metobolic issues, which sometimes are unknown.

I tend to eat higher carb/ lower fat, that works for me but we are all different. Maybe bring the fat in and add fruit and veggies.. find the right ratio of fat/carbs and protein in your alotted calories if you want to veer away from Atkins.. Maintenance works for many who arent really that carb intolerant.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #20
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Wow, that Vit D level was high. That's actually good news; it could be that just your D and the high protein diet caused the high blood calcium, and there's nothing wrong with your parathyroids.

I'm nervous about the nurse practitioner only because my experience with them has not been very positive, and you have a complex situation.

I wish you the best!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
I just have to jump in and say that some of the NP's I've gone to over the years are better than many doctors!!!! I have only had one "bad" experience with a NP, most of them have been exceptional!!!! I hope you got a good one!!!! I'm guessing in that type of practice that she/he will be wonderful!!!!
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM   #22

i've always had the best care from the NP's i've seen. I'd rather see them than my dr! lol.. though my drs are good too.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:52 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Well, that is what I am hoping for!!...I did read on one site that vit. D levels over 70 can increase your blood calcium. There is sooo much conflicting information out there.

Thanks for all the good wishes!!...My regular doctor is a NP and I love her to death!! But, she admittedly doesn't know a lot about thyroid problems, but she has been treating me cause it is impossible to see my endo. Guess I need this visit anyway, get all that checked again, hopefully with the correct test. I have felt so much better on my Armour, except my hair is still falling out and can't seem to lose any more weight.

That is what kills me about all this....finally start feeling decent, been able to walk at the park and all (couldn't hardly walk to the car before...lol), but now all this.

Thanks again, I will let you know what I find out. Monday is a long ways off....

ls
Old 09-28-2010, 06:37 AM   #24
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Actually, people with a prominent tumor on the parathyroid (hyperparathyroidism) usually have blood calcium of anywhere from 100 to 2000 times the normal range. Mine was caught because I had had a little fender bender accident and the lab checked my calcium. And found it. Otherwise, I would have waited a while longer for it to be found.

Pam
Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Didn't you feel awful with that high of calcium? I am actually feeling better over the last few days, but there for a couple of weeks, I was weak and my legs were feeling like noodles if used to much. Just wasn't quite right. Thought my thyroid meds weren't working correctly.

ls
Old 10-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Well, went to the new NP. She wasn't real concerned about my high calcium. I told her a out my vit. D, so since I was still taking vit. D up til two weeks ago, she said it can take a couple of months to get out of your system. She offered to do a D and Calcium test, but, I told her just to wait if she didn't think it would change much. She also said it wasn't high enough for them to even do surgery. (I guess she was talking parathyroid.) Guess they have to grow some. Saw where Pam said that in a thread the other day. I do have to go back and get my thyroid ultrasound because I never got the biopsy before, but she thinks the nodules have gone down. They also took my blood for thyroid test. Not sure which ones they do, don't think they do the T3 and RT3. Why would they do the T4 but not the T3?

ls
Old 10-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #27
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Because they don't 'get it' with thyroid. Like a whole lot of medical practitioners. It's why it takes years out of our lives to finally get a little bit of T3 and feel human again.

(Sorry, I have no other good explanation).

Pam
Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Figures ....I will see what the test results come back with and ask when I go back in 2 months. I am not doing badly on the Armour that I have, would just like to know the numbers.

Thanks,

ls
Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buttonboutique
Vit k2 will help move some of that calcium out of the blood and into the bones. Might want to read up on Menaquione7, a form of K that helps with that.
buttonboutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! I will look that up!!