Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amihyperthyroid
YES thyroid disease can cause psychiatric problems

I came across this on a medical forum today. It goes into detail about some of the psychological symptoms thyroid disorders can cause! (I didn't write it)

Thyroid conditioned can exasperate existing mental problems or even mimic mental illness.

Thyroid problem, both underactive and overactive, can cause mood swings.(OH Boy! can they!) An overactive thyroid may exhibit marked anxiety and tension, emotional liability, impatience and irritability, distractible overactivity, exaggerated sensitivity to noise, and fluctuating depression with sadness and problems with sleep and the appetite. In extreme cases, they may appear schizophrenic, losing touch with reality and becoming delirious or hallucinating. However the most common effect of an overactive thyroid is anxiety.

An underactive thyroid can lead to progressive loss of interest and initiative, slowing of mental processes, poor memory for recent events, fading of the personality's color and vivacity, general intellectual deterioration, depression with a paranoid flavor, and eventually, if not checked, to dementia and permanent harmful effects on the brain. In instances of each condition, some persons have been wrongly diagnosed, hospitalized for months, and treated unsuccessfully for psychosis.

Among us who have Graves' Disease refer to "Graves' Rage", committed acts that might seem violent or out of character
(OH Boy!). Screaming, throwing dishes, or assaulting someone. "Graves' rage" is describe as inappropriate feelings of anger (OH Yes!), frequently followed by an impulsive destructive response to this anger (Not proud, but, OH Yes!) The medical literature states that patients with Graves' disease are likely to experience emotional problems, including nervousness, irritability, anxiety, depression, and emotional liability, characterized by mood swings. Sudden crying for no apparent reason and overreacting are also common. (Yes! Yes! Yes! to all the above) Many patients report feeling edgy and irritable one minute, and normal the next. The literature also states that before hyperthyroidism was recognized as a disease, many patients with Graves' disease spent their days in asylums.
amihyperthyroid is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

I have definitely experienced some of the above symptoms. And never in my 26 years of life had I experienced ANY of them ever before having my baby. (I experienced them after about a month of SEVERE sleep deprivation. When I say severe, I mean severe.) Looking back, I think it was a thyroid storm. I also experienced the typical hot/cold, physical, etc symptoms of a thyroid disorder after giving birth.

Anyways, reading this gave me hope that I haven't just gone crazy from so long without sleep! Heres to hope....
Old 09-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Thyroid, Depression and Mental Health | Stop The Thyroid Madness
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
Have you made an appointment yet for a visit to a doctor or testing?????
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: theothertwin41
mental problems?

Hi,

I never felt like what the article is saying. but if you ask me some of the things it talks about is for normal people to. i never felt that way at all. any way. i guess that is for some people. good to know about this.
theothertwin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by amihyperthyroid View Post
I came across this on a medical forum today. It goes into detail about some of the psychological symptoms thyroid disorders can cause! (I didn't write it)

Thyroid conditioned can exasperate existing mental problems or even mimic mental illness.

Thyroid problem, both underactive and overactive, can cause mood swings.(OH Boy! can they!) An overactive thyroid may exhibit marked anxiety and tension, emotional liability, impatience and irritability, distractible overactivity, exaggerated sensitivity to noise, and fluctuating depression with sadness and problems with sleep and the appetite. In extreme cases, they may appear schizophrenic, losing touch with reality and becoming delirious or hallucinating. However the most common effect of an overactive thyroid is anxiety.

An underactive thyroid can lead to progressive loss of interest and initiative, slowing of mental processes, poor memory for recent events, fading of the personality's color and vivacity, general intellectual deterioration, depression with a paranoid flavor, and eventually, if not checked, to dementia and permanent harmful effects on the brain. In instances of each condition, some persons have been wrongly diagnosed, hospitalized for months, and treated unsuccessfully for psychosis.

Among us who have Graves' Disease refer to "Graves' Rage", committed acts that might seem violent or out of character
(OH Boy!). Screaming, throwing dishes, or assaulting someone. "Graves' rage" is describe as inappropriate feelings of anger (OH Yes!), frequently followed by an impulsive destructive response to this anger (Not proud, but, OH Yes!) The medical literature states that patients with Graves' disease are likely to experience emotional problems, including nervousness, irritability, anxiety, depression, and emotional liability, characterized by mood swings. Sudden crying for no apparent reason and overreacting are also common. (Yes! Yes! Yes! to all the above) Many patients report feeling edgy and irritable one minute, and normal the next. The literature also states that before hyperthyroidism was recognized as a disease, many patients with Graves' disease spent their days in asylums.
Wow that is scary and sad about those who were physically sick but spent years in mental hospitals.
~PaperMoon~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:47 AM   #7

i felt like i was going to crack up.. i wasnt depressed.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:13 AM   #8
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
I just posted another link.

Actually...um..those who already HAVE a mood disorder or bipolar usually go hypothyroid from the medications they are given to stabilize the mood disorder.

One of the reasons that many really GOOD psychiatrists will do FT4, FT3 before treatment is to query whether it IS a mood disorder or perhaps a thyroid disease. Gotta have the tests..doesn't really make sense to 'guess'.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:09 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lemming
I just posted in Pam's link thread...and I just remembered, too, that when I first started looking for a cause for my issues 2 years ago (athletic performance decrease, mood swings, cold intolerance, etc). the sports medicine doc that I was referred to suggested that I was depressed! I said, yeah, I'm depressed cause my speedskating is sucking; not my skating is sucking cause I'm depressed. THis doc just did TSH and total T4, and said my thyroid was fine. My doc did FT3 and FT4 and said it was fine (but levels were borderline). No one looked at the mood issues as a sypmtom of thyroid issues.

Now, I'm properly medicated, but the first symptoms I get (within a couple hours) if something interferes with my T3 dose are mood symptoms...
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #10
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I have a very good friend who is married to a psychiatric RN. She says that she sees about 15% of all who are admitted have TPO's that are high. Hmm. And low progesterone. Hmmm. That's a lot. Hmmm.

Pam
Old 09-18-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Lemming- I know, right? Its very frustrating when someone suggests your depressed and that is causing the problem when you are really happy.

Lemming- your levels were normal- borderline, but you still got meds? Did you just request them or see a dif dr?

I'm thinking there is a very good chance I may have been slightly hypo all my life and didn't know it. Because I always needed like 10 hours sleep or I was sooo tired, my mom would make fun of me because often I have word trouble finding and would say a silly word instead, always had to motivate myself to go to the gym/work out/get the energy up to do it, always put off washing my hair for as long as I could during the day (I loved looking pretty, but was so tired and washing my hair took so long. I wasn't a lazy person, just tired. It was overwhelming I guess you could say! LOL I guess that meant I was exhausted, huh), had to work out for hours every other day to be really in shape!!, lost a ton of weight when I was like thirteen without trying and hair fell out, had VERY frizzy dry hair for years, and the oddest thing- some social anxiety when I became a teenager (which didn't make sense cause I loved people, total people person and was an actor). Also, I know thyroid problems run in families and my sister's dr mentioned her neck when she was younger and suggested iodine. She has always had trouble with being overweight and needs to sleep really late and dosent have a lot of energy.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lemming
ami, sadly, no, I didn't get treated while I was still borderline. After over a year of seeing many docs (and having many thyroid tests, mostly just TSH, though, which was always below 3), I finally kind of gave up. I had found a possible reason that my skating performance had suffered--something called vocal cord dysfunction--and kind of gave up on looking for a cause of the other symptoms--the mood issues, cold intolerance, etc. I'm 46, so I just figured it must come with the territory! Then, this past spring, I started having PVC's (heart palpitations) hundreds of times a day. Now, I've had PVC's (and a couple other arrhythmias) forever, but never this many. So, after this had gone on for 2 months, I contacted my doc to see if he wanted to see me. He did a Holter monitor (24 hour EKG monitor) and also tested thyroid--which, low and behold, was finally below range (FT3)! Hallelujah! I finally got diagnosed and he started me on levothyroxine (T4). I talked him into adding Cytomel when my FT3 had barely increased 2 months later, and that was when I finally started feeing normal again.

Are you medicated now? If not, can you find a doc who is willing to give it a try? I think you're right...there are many people who suffer from thryoid symptoms although not actually out of range--I was one of them, and it sounds like you might be, too. Good luck!!
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jorose
@Ileen, when you say 'crack up' was it anxiety, just feeling nutty, what? Just curious. I've been diagnosed 'panic disorder' for years...uh, no Mr/Mrs Shrink....not ONE of them ever even mentioned getting the thyroid checked, ever.
@Pam...my sister is an intake LCSW in the ER. Since being diagnosed Hashi's and having a much better understanding of how thyroid effects mental health, that's the FIRST thing she recommends to patients, to get their thyroid checked by someone that knows what they're doing.
Jorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:01 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Psych manifestations of Hashi's
http://www.drrichardhall.com/Articles/hashimoto.pdf

Anxiety and endocrine disease
Anxiety and Endocrine Disease
Old 09-19-2010, 04:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorose View Post
@Ileen, when you say 'crack up' was it anxiety, just feeling nutty, what? Just curious. I've been diagnosed 'panic disorder' for years...uh, no Mr/Mrs Shrink....not ONE of them ever even mentioned getting the thyroid checked, ever.
@Pam...my sister is an intake LCSW in the ER. Since being diagnosed Hashi's and having a much better understanding of how thyroid effects mental health, that's the FIRST thing she recommends to patients, to get their thyroid checked by someone that knows what they're doing.
J, no anxiety at all.. just feeling like I was going to lose it and everything around me.. no one understood what i was feeling.. and hubby was ready to end everything.. We survived it and have 32yrs together.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:23 AM   #16
Thyroid Patient Advocate

That first paper on Hashi's is great....read the case studies...and it goes on to explain that it may take years before a patient is on a stable enough dose for mental cognition to improve.

Pam
Old 09-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #17

greattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

explains why maybe , i've not gotten my memory etc back
Old 09-19-2010, 05:30 AM   #18
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Yeah, that one case study is a physician who has Hashi's and they talk about how long it took to get cognition back. They don't do a lot of talking about dosage/natural, etc. though. They also talk about how when the antibodies are at peak, it is 'worse'.

Pam
Old 09-19-2010, 05:32 AM   #19

mine dont flag' hi any more.

'everything' seems like its in place but i cant stand that i lost that and have never really gained it back. I'd LOVE to go back to school but i'd never retain the info.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:35 AM   #20
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Hmm, maybe that's 'estradiol depletion'? That's the other big big cause of cognition problems.

Pam
Old 09-19-2010, 05:38 AM   #21

that is what im wondering at this point..
Old 09-19-2010, 05:42 AM   #22
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I swear...sometimes I was in a FOG...I'd be standin' there actually speaking to someone and just couldn't...grab a word...and couldn't retain, and well..the whole ball of wax. Then I started on estradiol and that helped a bit....I'd imagine if you are taking prog. and test. you'd want to be starting a balance of estradiol also. Certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

I have heard from some women who work out (one is a trainer) and they are telling me that the Vivelle patch stays ON till you take it off, throughout workouts, shower, etc. but that the gel just wouldn't absorb for them (they did NOT want oral). So...after her and two others trying every patch/cream, etc. they proclaimed that the 'best to stick on'. Had to tell ya. LOL (and your insurance will prolly pay for it).

Pam
Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #23

pam, that is exactly how i feel!!

In the middle of a conversation, my brain just goes dead.

me and creams dont work very well lol..

This really needs it own thread lol.. amazing though how POWERFUL homornes or lack of them are, as they affect so many aspects of ones wellness.

I appologize for the hyjack.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 AM   #24
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well, the thing about BHRT...some don't 'get it' (the difference between bio and the rest) and some are 'against it' and some read all the sommers stuff (I don't agree with all of it) and some are just into perimeno and some are actually post meno (but I get letters that start with this ALL the time: "I am 53 and perimeno...." Um, nope, you are almost at the end, has nothing to do with periods, or lack of, or FSH..it has to do with levels, same as thyroid).

I try and stay really...kind of ..bland on it...I don't go in for the fancy..."ooh, aah, this book says this and you can do this...blah blah.." but rather the 'This is what you can do to gain balance and not spend a freakin' fortune. We already KNOW some of it...we all basically agree on using BHRT, and being tested for the levels first, and that salivary testing leaves most of us overreplaced, and that no one gets to be a 'martyr' for bragging they 'suffered through it with just a cold towel, a martini and some Estroven...'...lol).

Pam
Old 09-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
pam, that is exactly how i feel!!

In the middle of a conversation, my brain just goes dead.
adding to the hijack....THIS can be really "fun" when it happens to you while you are presenting a solution to a client. I can cover pretty well but man'o'man it is the devil to get back on track and complete a presentation that I have just finished writing!!!

sorry, reading this thread has brought it to my attention that it has a cause and it's not just me being stupid.

Ileen, is it a regular occurrence? or a random one?
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #26

contined hijack

LOL

Maile, all the time.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I feel bad for eveyone that's gone through the 'mental' aspects of this disease, with a clueless doc, myself included. UGH.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #28
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Please post psych associations with thyroid in the new thread.

But, before I go, amihyper...Graves Rage is also the same 'rage' during menopause and Hashimoto's high TPO count.

Nothing fits everything or everybody.

Pam
Old 05-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: deborah
PLEASE HELP

Quote:
Originally Posted by amihyperthyroid View Post

Hi, all of this which you wrote is definately me. I was just told and had the blood tests that confirm i have an overactive tyroid and I'm on medication now after years of being mis-diagnosed for a mental illness which came from nowhere I need to find a speciallist in this field in the L A area who knows about all of this, Thank you Deborah PLEASE HELP
deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #30

do you have your labs hun? please share them