LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Nap every day.

Is needing a 45 minute nap every day at 4 p.m. a 'thyroid' thing or is it normal?

I get a slump around 3:30 - 4:00 and feel a STRONG need to lie down and take a nap. After the nap I'm fine. Is this normal?
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Oh my, I've been there!! Last year, Until I got T3 added to my Levothroid. What a difference it made too. Like night and day. I haven't gone back to any of your other messages so I don't know what you're taking if anything.

No, it's not normal.

Last edited by watcher513; 07-19-2010 at 02:40 PM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
no I don't think most people need to nap unless they've missed alot of sleep the night before. If you're getting 8+ hours sleep per night then heck yeah the nap is a thyroid thing! I used to have to sleep on my lunch break every day from 12-1pm

I'd just lay down on the floor of my office and sleep. um yeah, not normal.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

My doctor only runs labs for 'TSH, 3rd Generation w/reflex to FT4.'

I'm on a compounded porcine med. (I switched to it when Armour became unavailable last year.)

I wonder if I could find a lab locally that would run a full TSH lab? (My doctor said she 'doesn't do that.')

ETA: I get 7 hours of sleep each night, sometimes 8.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 07-19-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Old 07-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #5

healthcheckusa.com

Thyroid Panel II

discount code 12345 at checkout.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found a lab that will do this test for $41. "This comprehensive evaluation of your thyroid hormone levels includes: T-3 Uptake, T4, T7, and TSH "

Is that the test I need? Or is it one of these:

"REVERSE T3" is $79

"FREE T3: is $60
Old 07-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #7

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
You need free T3 and free T4. The panel Kisha mentioned covers what you need.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:51 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
healthcheckusa.com

Thyroid Panel II

discount code 12345 at checkout.
How does that work to buy it online? Where would I get my blood drawn?
Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
How does that work to buy it online? Where would I get my blood drawn?

You order the test online and pick a lab near you to get the blood drawn. So far I haven't read any posts with complaints about them.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
You order the test online and pick a lab near you to get the blood drawn. So far I haven't read any posts with complaints about them.
Oh! I'd never heard of that!

I am going to call my doctor and ask again for a 'Free T3 and Free T4' test.

My dr. just tested me, using THEIR test, because I asked them to check me again because of the naps. TSH was 1.38 but apparently that doesn't mean anything. Right? They said I was fine and my meds don't need adjusting.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #11

Yes T4 is converted by our bodies into the active form of the hormone T3-which affects energy levels etc. Many of us have conversion problems and need extra T3.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Yes T4 is converted by our bodies into the active form of the hormone T3-which affects energy levels etc. Many of us have conversion problems and need extra T3.
I'm thinking I need some T3 added to my compounded Rx. It would be an easy fix, if I could get my dr. to do the Free T3 and T4 test.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #13

Quote:
I'm thinking I need some T3 added to my compounded Rx. It would be an easy fix, if I could get my dr. to do the Free T3 and T4 test.
yes, theoretically its an easy fix! and I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that your test results will come in low on the FREET3. Get the test.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
Another thing is to ask teh compounder who does your thyroid meds what they use as a filler. Many of us cannot use anything with cellulose/Avicel/microcrystalline cellulose in it. When I first got mine compounded I started getting more hypo and tired...and found out she did mine with Avicel...then I requested dextrose. There are lots of options for fillers other than the cellulose. Call the compounder and see what they use just for jollies.

And yes...get the tests for Free T4 and FREE T3. Another online place is canaryclub.org. The labs for most of the other sites are nowhere near my house (need to drive 8 hours to get to the nearest one). So, if there is no lab near you, check out canary club as they will send you a kit and it's easy with a fancy little gadget they give you to prick your finger to get the blood. I'm a wimp, but have done it easily every time I've done it.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimers View Post
Another thing is to ask teh compounder who does your thyroid meds what they use as a filler. Many of us cannot use anything with cellulose/Avicel/microcrystalline cellulose in it. When I first got mine compounded I started getting more hypo and tired...and found out she did mine with Avicel...then I requested dextrose. There are lots of options for fillers other than the cellulose. Call the compounder and see what they use just for jollies.

And yes...get the tests for Free T4 and FREE T3. Another online place is canaryclub.org. The labs for most of the other sites are nowhere near my house (need to drive 8 hours to get to the nearest one). So, if there is no lab near you, check out canary club as they will send you a kit and it's easy with a fancy little gadget they give you to prick your finger to get the blood. I'm a wimp, but have done it easily every time I've done it.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
I'm betting they are using cellulose. So dextrose is a better choice?

They make them time release, so I don't know what that entails.

I'll ask them.

I will look at canary club -- I think I could do the finger prick after giving myself at-home allergy shots for a year (which was hilarious at first! I would sit there for 5 minutes with the needle in my hand, counting 1-2-3 and then freezing, unable to stick it in my leg. It took me forever!!!! I was not that good at it, but I finally grew accustom to it.)

THANKS!

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."
Old 07-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

If it's slow release, it is made with cellulose/Avicel. that's how it goes into your system slowly.

I laughed over you giving yourself injections and just holding the needle. I did the same thing but for hours!!! I had to give myself B12, B6, folate injections in my hip! I was terrified. I did get used to it as well and then just laugh at myself for being such a wimp!
Old 07-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimers View Post
If it's slow release, it is made with cellulose/Avicel. that's how it goes into your system slowly.

I laughed over you giving yourself injections and just holding the needle. I did the same thing but for hours!!! I had to give myself B12, B6, folate injections in my hip! I was terrified. I did get used to it as well and then just laugh at myself for being such a wimp!
Oh, no! Will I have to give up time release? What do you think?

LOL! My son actually started timing me and he made a cute little chart which showed that as time went on I could poke myself quicker than the first time which took 5 minutes 36 seconds! LOL! It was so cute! He was sitting there watching me sitting there with the needle poised two inches from my thigh, unable to go any further, and he said, "This is taking a lot longer than I thought." in a very dry, deadpan voice.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:15 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
Beezer, that was ME last year! I was so sleepy around 2:00 and would grab a nap any way possible! I kept thinking it was because I drank too much coffee in the morning.

Nope, it was because I was not medicating my thyroid. Once I started on Armour, the need for nap time totally disappeared. So happy about that.
Lisa46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:35 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa46 View Post
Beezer, that was ME last year! I was so sleepy around 2:00 and would grab a nap any way possible! I kept thinking it was because I drank too much coffee in the morning.

Nope, it was because I was not medicating my thyroid. Once I started on Armour, the need for nap time totally disappeared. So happy about that.
I'm going to call my dr. today. Hopefully, she'll agree to do the Free T3 and T4 test. ray:
Old 07-20-2010, 04:48 AM   #20
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
You need an adjustment. I'd adjust doctors.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post

Pam
Love it!! I was thinking the same thing when she said her dos only runs the TSH test! Arrgghh.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Pam
LOL!!!

I'm calling them right now. I'll let you know what they say. (Well, when I say call them right now it means I have to leave a voice message and the nurse will call me back later today, probably.)

Okay -- just left a voicemail message with my request. I'll let you know what they say. If she refuses to do it, I guess I'll be looking for a new dr.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 07-20-2010 at 08:57 AM..
Old 07-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The dr.'s office just called and said they have the bloodwork orders waiting for me!!!!! They said the latest I can show up for bloodwork is 3:30 p.m.

I have some paralegal work to do before I can leave the house. It's about a 30 min. drive and it will be tight, but I will try to make it by there today before my haircut at 2:30 p.m.

If I miss today I'll just have to go tomorrow. YAY!!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 09:55 AM   #24
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Go and look at my new post about needing 'help'. My compound has NO T3 in it at all.

And giving a hormone for thyroid with T3 IN IT but not testing it would be like giving you insulin without check your blood sugar wouldn't it?

Hey, make sure the doc did right for FREE T3, NOT 'T3 Uptake'...T3 Uptake is unnecesary to have now with the advent of Free T3. Now, in order to test the T3..you'll need to take your med not less than four hours before testing and not more than five. If you test six hours after it you'll not be testing your T3 at ALL..it only has a half life of four hours.

Oh, paralegal...cool...DS is an attorney (labor law).

Pam
Old 07-20-2010, 11:14 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Go and look at my new post about needing 'help'. My compound has NO T3 in it at all.

And giving a hormone for thyroid with T3 IN IT but not testing it would be like giving you insulin without check your blood sugar wouldn't it?

Hey, make sure the doc did right for FREE T3, NOT 'T3 Uptake'...T3 Uptake is unnecesary to have now with the advent of Free T3. Now, in order to test the T3..you'll need to take your med not less than four hours before testing and not more than five. If you test six hours after it you'll not be testing your T3 at ALL..it only has a half life of four hours.

Oh, paralegal...cool...DS is an attorney (labor law).

Pam
I took my Rx this morning so it'll be over 5 hours but mine is compounded as time release. I wonder if that makes it okay? I want to go get the test at 3:00 because that's closest to when I get extremely tired every day. Does that make sense?

I'm a personal injury paralegal. They call me Erin Brockovich (because I've worked on three different huge class actions.) LOL! Right now I'm just working on single plaintiff cases, requesting and summarizing medical records and running spreadsheets for medical expenses. I'm able to do it from home and also homeschool my two boys. Life is interesting these days!!!! I'm blessed with work and being able to stay home with my boys! (Ages 14 and 10.)
Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #26
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
I took my Rx this morning so it'll be over 5 hours but mine is compounded as time release. I wonder if that makes it okay? I want to go get the test at 3:00 because that's closest to when I get extremely tired every day. Does that make sense?

I'm a personal injury paralegal. They call me Erin Brockovich (because I've worked on three different huge class actions.) LOL! Right now I'm just working on single plaintiff cases, requesting and summarizing medical records and running spreadsheets for medical expenses. I'm able to do it from home and also homeschool my two boys. Life is interesting these days!!!! I'm blessed with work and being able to stay home with my boys! (Ages 14 and 10.)
That's wonderful you get to do that at home! I WAS doing my work at home (pastry chef) but we sold the house and moved to apartment, so now I do it at a restaurant.

Yep, go do it at 3pm. It's SR, and if you come up with UNDER 3/4 of the range in FREE T3...you know it's not working. (yanno, you CAN get it from Canada, their 'Thyroid' is the same as the original Armour here before they reformulated it).

Pam
Old 07-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Update of sorts:

I drove 40 minutes out to my doctor's office to find that they were CLOSED at 2:15 p.m. in the afternoon!!! The front door was open but the office/checkin lights were off. I could hear the staff in a room way down the hall. Sounded like they were having lunch (I could hear the microwave beeping) and talking to each other. I saw a lady mopping the floors, she wouldn't look up when I called to her three times.

This is BEYOND frustrating because I called to check their hours this morning and the message said: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., closed from 12-1:30 p.m. for lunch. It was 2:15 p.m.!!!!!! I called their number again to see what the recording would say and it said they were currently closed, if you had an emergency go to the ER. WHAT?!? I sat in the dark waiting room for a few minutes and then left, all grumped up.

My doctor is a 'one lady show' in a little hole in the wall building waaaaaaay out of town. I started going to her because she does holistic things, she's got an acupuncturist on staff and she sells herbs and stuff. I thought she was cool. But over the years it's been inconvenient that they do NOT have a lab on-site and all bloodwork has to be sent out and takes forever to get results back, then they'll only mail you a card that says "Results Normal" or "Results Abnormal, make and appointment to discuss your results. It is our policy to not discuss lab results over the phone.' She had no after-hours backup physician. If you get a bladder infection or a stomach virus over the weekend you've got to go to the walk-in clinic to get a Rx. It's just too much of a pain to deal with them anymore -- so I'm chaning doctors!!!!!

I called on the way home to tell them this and THEY ANSWERED. I said I was just there and it was all dark. She said, "Oh, we were having a staff meeting." I told her it was frustrating because I had driven 40 minutes to get there and they were closed and nobody mentioned anything about being closed when they told me to come do my lab work. She says, "Oh, you need lab work? She's gone home." ARGH!!!!!!!!

I am SO done with that doctor's office!!!

Anybody know a good GP that does good thyroid work in Baton Rouge???

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 07-21-2010 at 01:56 PM..
Old 07-21-2010, 02:07 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Beezer, I'm so sorry.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #29

yucky beezer sorry about that! For sure post a new thread saying looking for good doc that tests FreeT3 in Baton Rouge area
Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #30
Thyroid Patient Advocate

There is one (quite expensive but worth it) doctor in Boca Raton. ONE. Dr. Ken Wolinar. (tell him skip the supplements and vitamins, you're there for the thyroid, lol). This doc is great though.

Pam