Old 08-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
I shouldn't have been on it. I do NOT have Type II diabetes. I was switched to Metformin for a little while (I had high fasting insulin BECAUSE I cannot live unless I'm on steroids...because of autoimmune disease I have) and did fine.

Pam
I'm leaning towards not trying the Victoza and just letting myself soak up the stronger thyroid meds and some good sleep. Maybe that's all I'll need?
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #182
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
Beezer....I do hope that you do NOT try the Victoza. Please read this article from a medical blog I get...here is the website, and then just the small blurb at the bottom of the article.
New diabetes drug might have fatal side effects, but that

"The FDA is fully aware of the potential dangers of Victoza. But instead of waiting for safety studies to be conducted, agency officials are only recommending that Victoza should not be used as a first-line treatment. Which is like saying: If you’ve tried all the other diabetes medications and they haven’t worked, then what the heck? Go ahead and try this potentially dangerous one.
You don’t mind being a drug company guinea pig, do you?"

I know it's hard to not be able to lose weight, but your health and your life is much more important than trying all these various drugs at once...you won't know the interactions, and won't know what is doing or *causing* what. Take one step at a time and go slow! Please be careful.
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimers View Post
Beezer....I do hope that you do NOT try the Victoza. Please read this article from a medical blog I get...here is the website, and then just the small blurb at the bottom of the article.
New diabetes drug might have fatal side effects, but that

"The FDA is fully aware of the potential dangers of Victoza. But instead of waiting for safety studies to be conducted, agency officials are only recommending that Victoza should not be used as a first-line treatment. Which is like saying: If you’ve tried all the other diabetes medications and they haven’t worked, then what the heck? Go ahead and try this potentially dangerous one.
You don’t mind being a drug company guinea pig, do you?"

I know it's hard to not be able to lose weight, but your health and your life is much more important than trying all these various drugs at once...you won't know the interactions, and won't know what is doing or *causing* what. Take one step at a time and go slow! Please be careful.
Thanks! Whew! I talked to my husband already and he nixed the idea right after I said 'injectible.' So . . . it's out. (At least I'm not out any money. They gave me a free sample of the first week's shot.)

I really think having my thyroid meds at the proper dosage will perk me up and help me be able to exercise and lose weight. (Also, the Wellbutrin has an appetite suppressant effect that I'm feeling. I had to make myself eat today and I only got to 1,000 calories. Or maybe I"m just highly suggestible??? )

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."
Old 08-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #184
Major LCF Poster!

I'm glad you have a sane husband and he didn't want you doing the Victoza!!!!

Re: weight loss.....as we have all written many times, until you are optimized, you probably will not lose weight, or even maintain...it's a long battle, but it can be won. It won't happen overnight. Many of us have been working at it for years! And just when you think all is well, the hormones will let you now that they are now going to challenge you! ha ha

Hang in there and just focus on getting your thyroid meds working and getting healthy with your eating. Remember, starving yourself with only 1000 calories will make your body think it's in starvation mode and it will KEEP all those calories for the famine!!! Make sure you eat enough regularly that the body will utilize what you feed it!

Thank you for letting us know you are NOT going to take that "nasty stuff"!!!! Now I'll be able to sleep tonight! :-)
Old 08-27-2010, 04:55 AM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I'm glad you have a sane husband and he didn't want you doing the Victoza!!!!

Re: weight loss.....as we have all written many times, until you are optimized, you probably will not lose weight, or even maintain...it's a long battle, but it can be won. It won't happen overnight. Many of us have been working at it for years! And just when you think all is well, the hormones will let you now that they are now going to challenge you! ha ha

Hang in there and just focus on getting your thyroid meds working and getting healthy with your eating. Remember, starving yourself with only 1000 calories will make your body think it's in starvation mode and it will KEEP all those calories for the famine!!! Make sure you eat enough regularly that the body will utilize what you feed it!

Thank you for letting us know you are NOT going to take that "nasty stuff"!!!! Now I'll be able to sleep tonight! :-)
Awww! You are so sweet to worry! Thanks!

I've decided that I'm definitely NOT going to take the injectible Victoza. They're going to prove its safety through prescribing it to people for 15 years and keeping track of how many get thyroid cancer (which it caused in lab rats) and how many die. Then, at the end of 15 years we'll know! I'm not going to do it.

I took the Klonopin last night and it did knock me out and I didn't hear my husband snoring all night long -- so I can see the dr's point. I'm just uncomfortable because Klonopin can be addictive. If I'm taking it every night, won't I get addicted? Sure I will!

So I want to research something like Lunesta or some kind of sleep aid that won't be addictive but will help me sleep deep so I don't hear the deep, rattling snores coming from 6" away from me. (No -- dh won't do anything about his snoring.) Maybe there's nothing wrong with how I sleep, but whom I'm sleeping next to???? He needs a sleep study and a C-PAP! But that will never happen, believe me.

Oh, about the 1,000 calories yesterday. That happened because I went to my 9:20 a.m. dr's appt. fasting, thinking they'd draw blood. When I left the dr's office it was almost 11:00 and I had to go by the grocery store to buy some chicken. I also stopped by the pharmacy, so I didn't get home until after 12:00 p.m. Then I had to cook for half an hour, so I just ran out of time for the day. I ate my normal amount of food from 1 p.m. to bedtime, I was just missing breakfast and I didn't feel hungry so I didn't stuff more food to meet my caloric requirements for the day. I'll do better today -- promise!!!

Plan:

Take increased thyroid dose -- that should help greatly.
Hopefully I'll start feeling better and be able to exercise more. (I went walking two days in a row and now I've got a horrible hip bursitis flare-up. Geesh! So I guess I'll try floor exercises instead.)
Find the right sleep aid for me.

I'm going to do some research today to find a non-addictive sleep aid that will help me sleep through the very loud snores happening next to me. Then maybe I can call Dr. B and ask if he'll write me an Rx. (Since he seems to write so many!)

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 08-27-2010 at 05:04 AM..
Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #186
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Just start taking it less as soon as you sleep well 'on your own'. It's an 'aid' to sleeping right now, if you don't have to raise the dose, you'll be fine. (Hey, same with so many using Xanax...if they don't raise the dose and just keep it around to use in case of emergency anxiety, they rarely get addicted...I love that you ran to the computer to find out what it was/did...good for you...YOU won't get addicted).

pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #187
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Just start taking it less as soon as you sleep well 'on your own'. It's an 'aid' to sleeping right now, if you don't have to raise the dose, you'll be fine. (Hey, same with so many using Xanax...if they don't raise the dose and just keep it around to use in case of emergency anxiety, they rarely get addicted...I love that you ran to the computer to find out what it was/did...good for you...YOU won't get addicted).

pam
Thanks Pam!
Old 08-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #188
Major LCF Poster!

Donna...have you tried taking magnesium before you go to bed.....it is a relaxant that helps you to sleep or fall asleep I think. Another thing that worked for me when I was having insomnia was taking a benadryl!!! Not every night, but just for a few. It knocked me out (but I have a friend who is energized by it!) Who knows.

Do you have an extra bedroom where you can go to avoid the snoring for a bit?! I'm so sorry....we went through that for a while...hubby gained 20# and it affected his breathing. He lost the 20# (but had to sleep in the guest room until he did!!!!) and now all is well again.

Good luck. Glad you're being smart and researching all these meds!!!!
Old 08-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #189
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Both of those things knock me out! And the benadryl...oh yeah.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #190
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Donna...have you tried taking magnesium before you go to bed.....it is a relaxant that helps you to sleep or fall asleep I think. Another thing that worked for me when I was having insomnia was taking a benadryl!!! Not every night, but just for a few. It knocked me out (but I have a friend who is energized by it!) Who knows.

Do you have an extra bedroom where you can go to avoid the snoring for a bit?! I'm so sorry....we went through that for a while...hubby gained 20# and it affected his breathing. He lost the 20# (but had to sleep in the guest room until he did!!!!) and now all is well again.

Good ideas!

I'm taking calcium and magnesium before bed. When I take any extra magnesium I get the runs. (Sorry, TMI! :blush: )

I think my husband would be hurt if I slept elsewhere or suggested he sleep elsewhere. I can fall asleep fine, it's just that any little noise during the night brings me back awake. (I run the ceiling fan and a small little fan on the floor -- not pointing at anything, just to make white noise. The past couple of nights I've added a larger box fan. It sounds like an airplane is going to take off in our bedroom!! LOL! But I need the white noise.)

Dh has lost a little weight (he's not overweight, really, he's thin) but he still snores like my grandpa used to snore. It's always present, but sometimes it's really, really bad. No, he won't go for a sleep study.

I used ear plugs before. I can try digging those out (but they also block out my white noise and all I hear is my breathing inside my head, so I'll have to accustom myself to hearing that and not the white noise! LOL!)
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #191
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LABS -- just for kicks.

Let's compare my lab results from last month when Dr. G refused to up my Armour to the labs she ran on Monday (her office just called and gave them to me -- more on this later.)

July:
TSH 2.65 (0.45 - 5.50)
Free T3 268 (230 - 420)
Free T4 1.15 (0.80 - 1.80)

This week:
TSH 3.39 (0.45 - 5.50)
Free T3 259 (230 - 420)
Free T4 1.01 (0.80 - 1.80)

So . . . Dr. G''s nurse called this morning to tell me the lab results and said that Dr. G said that while my TSH looked 'fine' my Free T3 was 'a little low' so she was raising my Armour dosage by 1/2 grain. I had to tell the nurse that I saw an endocrinologist just yesterday and he changed me to Levothroxine 88 mcg. So, thanks but the endo. would be handling the thyroid stuff from now on.

QUESTION:
WIth a Free T3 that low, do you think straight T4 is going to help me? I'm hoping that maybe my T3 was so low because I just wasn't getting enough meds at all. Do you think I'm going to crash on T4?

Part of me is thinking I'd be better off if I'd stayed with Dr. G so I could get an increase and stay on Armour. The other part of me thinks I'd always have trouble with her, since we aren't on the same page as to where my numbers should be and that how I feel matters too.

So did I do the right thing by sticking with the new endo and synthetic T4? I asked for a copy of the labs to be mailed to me. I can send a copy to the endo. next week if I start feeling bad, I guess. Otherwise I'm stuck on straight T4 for the next six weeks. (He did say that if my Free T3 was low in 6 weeks, he'd add Cytomel.)

What do you think? Of course, I could just be fretting over nothing and maybe the T4 at a higher dose will do the trick.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 08-27-2010 at 12:50 PM..
Old 08-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slmunoz
WOE: LC
My husband is a snorer extraordinaire. He never thought anything of it until I started sleeping on the couch when it kept me awake. He finally offered to use an oral device we found that has been amazing in keep the snoring down. He still breathes heavy, and does this weird moaning thing from time to time. And has nights when he moves around a lot. On his restless nights I still just go on the couch. I love him and all, but I need my sleep! Besides if I just lay there trying to sleep, I just end up getting mad... and that doesn't help me sleep at all!

He got over it, and it's not every night.
slmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #193
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmunoz View Post
My husband is a snorer extraordinaire. He never thought anything of it until I started sleeping on the couch when it kept me awake. He finally offered to use an oral device we found that has been amazing in keep the snoring down. He still breathes heavy, and does this weird moaning thing from time to time. And has nights when he moves around a lot. On his restless nights I still just go on the couch. I love him and all, but I need my sleep! Besides if I just lay there trying to sleep, I just end up getting mad... and that doesn't help me sleep at all!

He got over it, and it's not every night.
I'd love to get my hubby that oral appliance! But I think it requires going into a dentist's office -- which he won't do either.

We have a futon sofa I could sleep on in the guest room, or I could always sleep upstairs with the kids. But I really do think it would start a fight or hurt his feelings.

Earplugs -- that's my next course of action!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #194
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
well at least G's office recognized you were on too low a dose..

tough call.....

You could call the endo and tell him your concerns of not having any T3/give him the results you just got from G's office.

maybe that will change his mind?

Ultimately you are going to have to chose who you are going to have faith in.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #195
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
well at least G's office recognized you were on too low a dose..

tough call.....

You could call the endo and tell him your concerns of not having any T3/give him the results you just got from G's office.

maybe that will change his mind?

Ultimately you are going to have to chose who you are going to have faith in.
I know, I'm a little torn. On the one hand I've got someone who will prescribe Armour, on the other I've got someone who will optimize my thyroid numbers but only prescribe synthetic (but WILL prescribe synthetic T3 when labs show the need.)

I do think that the new endo will be more likely (okay, a LOT more likely) to keep my TSH at 1 or less and my T3 higher. I'm afraid that Dr. G would freak if my TSH went to 0.7 and would immediately lower my meds. So, I'll have to place my bets with the endo.

But I have to admit -- I'm afraid he's going to be mad at me for not taking the Victoza. (I know, I know, I need to be more assertive. I'm the patient/client. )

If I feel bad over the weekend I'll call the endo on Monday. They are only in the office on half days on Fridays and maybe the T4 will turn out to work.

But right now . . . I need a nap.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 08-27-2010 at 01:38 PM..
Old 08-27-2010, 01:39 PM   #196
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Benadryl does knock me out but it also give me a hangover until noon the next day. After three nights on it, I get much less sensitive to it and then I have a rebound night when I stop taking it -- trouble falling asleep.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #197
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amihyperthyroid
How do you email a member?? I NEED To talk to nonstickpam!

I read nonstickpam's post about thyroids and her mom having all these physciatric diseases perhaps because of her thyroid. How can I get in touch with you? Thank you SO much!
amihyperthyroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amihyperthyroid View Post
I read nonstickpam's post about thyroids and her mom having all these physciatric diseases perhaps because of her thyroid. How can I get in touch with you? Thank you SO much!
You can start a thread in the Thyroid forum or you can pm her by clicking on her name and selecting from the dropdown menu.

If it's something you feel comfortable about posting -- start a thread. It may help others with the same problem.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #199
Major LCF Poster!

It's my understanding that you can PM a member only when you yourself have posted at least 25 times and have been on the forum for a month. Since you are new, and this is your first post, I would recommend you begin a new thread with your questions.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #200
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

QUESTION:

I woke up this morning and felt perfectly fine. I was up for about three hours (feeling fine) before I had breakfast (2 scrambled eggs in pat of butter, 1 piece of canadian bacon.) Immediately after eating I started to feel extremely weak, sleepy, heavy, fatigued.

I had to go to bed and sleep for an hour. I still don't feel so hot. I feel hungover.

Is this because I'm no longer getting the T3 or is it something else???

Feeling like cr@p right now.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 08-28-2010 at 10:16 AM..
Old 08-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #201
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
QUESTION:

I woke up this morning and felt perfectly fine. I was up for about three hours (feeling fine) before I had breakfast (2 scrambled eggs in pat of butter, 1 piece of canadian bacon.) Immediately after eating I started to feel extremely weak, sleepy, heavy, fatigued.

I had to go to bed and sleep for an hour. I still don't feel so hot. I feel hungover.

Is this because I'm no longer getting the T3 or is it something else???
Feeling like cr@p right now.

My guess is the no T3 thing.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #202
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
My guess is the no T3 thing.
I happened again after I ate lunch, sautéed chicken and andouille sausage (NO sugar in the sausage.) This is so weird.

I don't have time to take TWO naps per day.

If I'm this way tomorrow I'll have to call the endo on Monday.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #203

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:
I happened again after I ate lunch, sautéed chicken and andouille sausage (NO sugar in the sausage.) This is so weird.

I don't have time to take TWO naps per day.

If I'm this way tomorrow I'll have to call the endo on Monday.

Are you just eating meat & eggs? Maybe you are throwing yourself into deep ketosis if you are-I don't feel well or function well on low carbs and calories.

Last edited by lisabinil; 08-28-2010 at 05:28 PM..
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #204
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Are you just eating meat & eggs? Maybe you are throwing yourself into deep ketosis if you are.
I did have four frozen strawberries with HWC and I was planning on having broccoli with dinner.

Not enough carbs? I have trouble getting them in there.

You think it's that? Since I started taking the Wellbutrin I don't really have an appetite.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #205

That what it sounds like to me. You are getting tired and not feeling well eating this way it seems. Add some veggies in to get carbs up, nuts or nut butters, yogurt or cottage cheese, more fruit etc and see if this makes you feel better.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #206
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
That what it sounds like to me. You are getting tired and not feeling well eating this way it seems. Add some veggies in to get carbs up, nuts or nut butters, yogurt or cottage cheese, more fruit etc and see if this makes you feel better.
Will do!

Thanks!

(What would I do without you gals helping me?!)
Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #207

Quote:
Will do!

Thanks!

(What would I do without you gals helping me?!)
Think of food as the ancient Chinese docs did as medicine-what you eat will determine how you feel and your health. And it seems no matter what meds you are on you feel poorly on very low carbs and lowered calories. Hope you find the level that works better for you so you are not feeling so bad.
Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #208
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Think of food as the ancient Chinese docs did as medicine-what you eat will determine how you feel and your health. And it seems no matter what meds you are on you feel poorly on very low carbs and lowered calories. Hope you find the level that works better for you so you are not feeling so bad.
Thanks, you are right!

I need to stay at 30 carbs or above and around 1,500 calories. (Yesterday was 15 carbs and 1,300 calories. Not good.)

I'll do better tomorrow! (Or tonight! I haven't had dinner yet . . .)
Old 08-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #209

Quote:
Thanks, you are right!

I need to stay at 30 carbs or above and around 1,500 calories. (Yesterday was 15 carbs and 1,300 calories. Not good.)

I'll do better tomorrow! (Or tonight! I haven't had dinner yet . . .)
You can test things out and journal how you feel after you eat them-try a half an apple with some nut butter and note how you feel afterward-energized, full, hungry, tired etc.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #210
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
You can test things out and journal how you feel after you eat them-try a half an apple with some nut butter and note how you feel afterward-energized, full, hungry, tired etc.
Good idea!

Thanks!