Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #121
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
She might not know yet -- but the new dr. had me sign a form so they could request my medical records. That was last Thursday, so it's possible that the medical records request has already arrived.
She has no reason to know what you saw the new doc for and anyways you don't like the new doc so I say proceed with your old doc just to get her to at least fill your scrip as she has been while you wait for an in and next doc.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2010, 12:27 PM   #122
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
She has no reason to know what you saw the new doc for and anyways you don't like the new doc so I say proceed with your old doc just to get her to at least fill your scrip as she has been while you wait for an in and next doc.
I'm worried about insurance -- I can only have one Primary Care Physician at a time.

I'm going to call the new dr. tomorrow and BEG to be increased a little to try to get to 1.
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Augirl
Good luck with this! I learned that if I had to "beg" I was in the wrong place...I know you probably know that, and I know you probably just want to get some meds to make you feel well. Hopefully, you will find a doctor that will be able to help you.

I never "wait" for results anymore from doctors. I am able to pick up a copy of my labs myself from the lab, and I almost always do that. When I leave, I ask when they will be ready, and I am able to stop in and get a copy. Sometimes I just like to look at the labs and correlate them to how I feel (I keep a log and write down how I feel every day). I have found some patterns this way. Maybe you can you get your labs this way too?

I was a strict carb loving vegetarian for 25 years, so I can appreciate how making the transition to LC can be kinda weird. Welcome to the LC Club!

Hang in there!

Lisa
Augirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:05 AM   #124

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
wow what lab do you use lisa?

good luck donna
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:26 AM   #125
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augirl View Post
Good luck with this! I learned that if I had to "beg" I was in the wrong place...I know you probably know that, and I know you probably just want to get some meds to make you feel well. Hopefully, you will find a doctor that will be able to help you.

I never "wait" for results anymore from doctors. I am able to pick up a copy of my labs myself from the lab, and I almost always do that. When I leave, I ask when they will be ready, and I am able to stop in and get a copy. Sometimes I just like to look at the labs and correlate them to how I feel (I keep a log and write down how I feel every day). I have found some patterns this way. Maybe you can you get your labs this way too?

I was a strict carb loving vegetarian for 25 years, so I can appreciate how making the transition to LC can be kinda weird. Welcome to the LC Club!

Hang in there!

Lisa
So your doctor sends you to an outside lab?

My old dr. drew the blood themselves at the office and sent it out to Quest Diagnostics. My new dr. is in a huge facility where they have everything and they have their own lab. (Thought they did tell me that the Free T3 test had to be 'sent out' and they were waiting on it.)

I'm going to call today and make my pitch. I'll let you know what she says.

I'm really just trying to hang on until the end of Sept. when I see this new endo. that I think is going to be great. I just don't want to feel this way until then.

BTW -- did I mention that all weightloss has stopped? I initially lost 10 lbs., then gained 4 lbs. and now I am just stuck.

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."
Old 07-29-2010, 05:27 AM   #126
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I went over to RealThyroidHelp.com and was reading. I'm going to try taking iodine supplements. I also want to get some selenium.

Maybe this will help me while I wait for my endo. appt. at the end of Sept.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:06 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josuanna
Stats: 180/150/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2006
Just another thought

Hi, I read this thread through and had another idea: Have your Vitamin D levels been checked? I had fatigue, and have been taking 20 000 I.E. Vitamin D per day for a week, and it gets better by the hour.

Vitamin D deficiency is quite common, and Vitamin D is cheap and there are no side effects. Maybe it's worth a try, with all your blood work coming out not very decisive

Cholesterol: Your HDL/LDL ratio is good, and if there are no other risk factors, I wouldn't bother about those numbers.

Regards

Josu (pharmacist and physician)
('scuse my English)

And I loved this line:

If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks just like a nail.

Last edited by Josuanna; 07-29-2010 at 06:10 AM..
Josuanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #128
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josuanna View Post
Hi, I read this thread through and had another idea: Have your Vitamin D levels been checked? I had fatigue, and have been taking 20 000 I.E. Vitamin D per day for a week, and it gets better by the hour.

Vitamin D deficiency is quite common, and Vitamin D is cheap and there are no side effects. Maybe it's worth a try, with all your blood work coming out not very decisive

Cholesterol: Your HDL/LDL ratio is good, and if there are no other risk factors, I wouldn't bother about those numbers.

Regards

('scuse my English)
You can have Vitamin D overdose. (I did...hypothyroid, adequately replaced with porcine thyroid for ten years, 'assorted' autoimmune disease).

Symptoms of Vitamin D overdose - WrongDiagnosis.com

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #129
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josuanna View Post

Regards

('scuse my English)
I was deficient in Vitamin D (In 2008 I started out with Vit D: 16, then after a year of supplements it was Vit.D: 33, still not at the 80 my dr. was aiming for.) I just had my D checked, they didn't tell me the value but said it was 'fine.' I'll ask today.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:28 AM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What if my compounding pharmacy isn't uniformly making my pills? Each month I notice that I need three days to adjust to the 'new pills' -- this is each month. I asked them to makes me two months' worth this last time.

Maybe it's inconsistent dosage?

I'm going to ask my dr. to just switch me back to Armour (and then deal with the 'new formulation' issues that Armour is having.)

IDK, maybe right now I just need to ask for a combination of Synthroid and Cytomel?????
Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM   #131

some folk are doing ok on old amour if they split it, crumble it and take it subling. it's an option if you go that route.
The synthetic is an option as well.. though for me, cytomel is very expensive.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
some folk are doing ok on old amour if they split it, crumble it and take it subling. it's an option if you go that route.
The synthetic is an option as well.. though for me, cytomel is very expensive.
Oh, I didn't know cytomel was expensive.

My son's Synthroid was expensive so I asked for generic and now it's $7. I was hoping they had generic Cytomel.

UPDATE:

Dr's office is calling in my SAME Rx, but as Armour instead of compounded. My compounded Rx was the equivalent of Armour, but they told me it was time release -- that they made it up to be time release. But I think all that means is that they were using cellulose to fill up the empty space in the pill.

So maybe I'll do better on the regular Armour -- crushed and subling. until end of Sept?

I took some iodine supplement last night and this morning -- I'm hoping it helps too.

I'm sure the dr's office has now labeled me as the 'crazy, demanding thyroid patient'.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 07-29-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Old 07-29-2010, 01:17 PM   #133

Quote:

My son's Synthroid was expensive so I asked for generic and now it's $7. I was hoping they had generic Cytomel.

UPDATE:

Dr's office is calling in my SAME Rx, but as Armour instead of compounded. My compounded Rx was the equivalent of Armour, but they told me it was time release -- that they made it up to be time release. But I think all that means is that they were using cellulose to fill up the empty space in the pill.

So maybe I'll do better on the regular Armour -- crushed and subling. until end of Sept?

I took some iodine supplement last night and this morning -- I'm hoping it helps too.

I'm sure the dr's office has now labeled me as the 'crazy, demanding thyroid patient'.

I actually got some information on this at my dr. visit on monday. Dr. Holtorf (the thyroid expert and founder of Holtorf Medical Clinic where I see my Doctor Chris Camalleri) has come up with a new formulation for his compounded T3. He has worked with a pharmacist to develop it. It has NO FILLERS AT ALL (I just switched to it yesterday) and is supposed to have better absorption because of that. I asked my doc how they make it time release and aparently they DO MIX with a "time release matrix" which makes it SR. Apparently the "time release matrix" is NOT considered a filler (like cellulose etc.)
Old 07-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #134

hope the new compound works.

do you have hashi's becareful with iodine.. most people are not iodine deficient.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #135

Quote:

do you have hashi's becareful with iodine.. most people are not iodine deficient.

I do not have Hashi's and I am tested severe iodine defficient...

o wait, this wasn't for me LOL

YES I want to agree with Ileen do not take iodine if you have not had your iodine level tested (my doc tested with urine test right in his office)
Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Quote:
I do not have Hashi's and I am tested severe iodine defficient...

o wait, this wasn't for me LOL

YES I want to agree with Ileen do not take iodine if you have not had your iodine level tested (my doc tested with urine test right in his office)
I don't know if I am Hashi's and I don't know what my idoine level is.

All I know is the hypo part.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:46 PM   #137

i suggest you dont make any changes that you cant not track.. just stick with your thyroid.. perhaps get the dr to test those levels and see if you need it.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #138

I concur.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:04 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Augirl
I go to Quest Diagnostics. My current doctor writes the script, and I can go to any of the numerous Quest labs in town. I found a great one in Summerlin hospital, and we are all on a first name basis now! LOL! But, even when I was getting all these thyroid labs done by my Ob/Gyn in her office, I got copies of the labs. I asked the gal drawing the blood where it was all going, and she told me to Quest. In fact, she was actually a Quest employee that worked in the OB/Gyn's office. That got me thinking, and so I asked her how I could obtain my own records.

I simply go to any Quest lab, show them proper ID, fill out a short form releasing them from liability, and they print all the labs for me via the data base on the computer. They are very happy to do it. Now that I get my labs drawn outside of the doctor's office, I just go back and get the copies a week later. I don't like to wait for my appointment, and I like to get the numbers out here for all of you to see!!!

BTW, my vitamin D3 was in the toilet, but even with getting that up, I still felt like crap with the thyroid stuff. I think it is always worth supplementing per confirmed labs (low D3 is linked to certain cancers), but it is not going make the thyroid stuff go away! Pam is right, you can get too much of it too!

Lisa
Augirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #140
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I was reading my Mary Shomon book on Thyroid last night. I was looking up iodine because I took some Wed. night, Thurs. morning, Thurs. night, and now I feel better. (I was desperate to feel better.) I got to the part about goitrogenic foods and it struck a chord. I've been eating cooked cabbage every day, twice a day, with my fried eggs. It can block the iodine and make you more hypo.

So -- plan: don't eat cabbage anymore.

My dr. called in a Rx for Armour to CVS Pharmacy. It's the same strength as my compounded Rx, but at least I'll know it's consistent. I'm picking it up today.

I just need to hang on until the end of Sept. because it doesn't look like I'll be getting any other help from a dr. until then.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 07-30-2010 at 08:50 AM..
Old 07-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #141

If you want to take the iodine you need to get your level checked first.

It is my understanding that the goitrogenic effect of cabbage is negated once it is cooked.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #142
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
If you want to take the iodine you need to get your level checked first.

It is my understanding that the goitrogenic effect of cabbage is negated once it is cooked.
That's what I thought too -- but I'm going to avoid it for now, just to be safe. At least until I can get in to see this endo. at the end of Sept. I think once I get established with him it will be easier (quicker) to get in to see him when I have a problem.

I will try to not take the iodine and see how I feel. I'm not going back to Dr. Gruner until I have to. (I'm sure she thinks I'm crazy.) I'll ask the endo. to check my iodine.

This morning it's like I'm "AWAKE" -- finally, after weeks and weeks of feeling like I was on Valium. I hope it lasts.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 07-30-2010 at 09:43 AM..
Old 08-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Josuanna
Stats: 180/150/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 2006
Vitamin D - how much is too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augirl View Post
I go to Quest Diagnostics. My current doctor writes the script, and I can go to any of the numerous Quest labs in town. I found a great one in Summerlin hospital, and we are all on a first name basis now! LOL! But, even when I was getting all these thyroid labs done by my Ob/Gyn in her office, I got copies of the labs. I asked the gal drawing the blood where it was all going, and she told me to Quest. In fact, she was actually a Quest employee that worked in the OB/Gyn's office. That got me thinking, and so I asked her how I could obtain my own records.

I simply go to any Quest lab, show them proper ID, fill out a short form releasing them from liability, and they print all the labs for me via the data base on the computer. They are very happy to do it. Now that I get my labs drawn outside of the doctor's office, I just go back and get the copies a week later. I don't like to wait for my appointment, and I like to get the numbers out here for all of you to see!!!

BTW, my vitamin D3 was in the toilet, but even with getting that up, I still felt like crap with the thyroid stuff. I think it is always worth supplementing per confirmed labs (low D3 is linked to certain cancers), but it is not going make the thyroid stuff go away! Pam is right, you can get too much of it too!

Lisa
Negative effects of Vitamin D are to be expected when you take at least 40 000 IU für at least six months..
Josuanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 AM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Update:

I'm still feeling awake! But the scale isn't moving.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #145

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
Quote:

UPDATE:

Just a note on Synthroid-it is better to stay with the name brand. Both my endo and PCP concur on this-pharmacies constantly switch generics looking for the cheapest price obviously. But the problem with taking generic Synthroid is one brand can be different from another in the dosage by up to 40% so you may not be getting a steady or consistent level of T4 in your system. Cytomel generic is usually ok.

As for weight loss it can take up to 6 months or longer to get meds optimized so some of us can't lose until that happens.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
Just a note on Synthroid-it is better to stay with the name brand. Both my endo and PCP concur on this-pharmacies constantly switch generics looking for the cheapest price obviously. But the problem with taking generic Synthroid is one brand can be different from another in the dosage by up to 40% so you may not be getting a steady or consistent level of T4 in your system. Cytomel generic is usually ok.

As for weight loss it can take up to 6 months or longer to get meds optimized so some of us can't lose until that happens.
Ugh!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #147

Quote:
Ugh!
Yeah I know it sucks.
I was diagnosed October of 2008 weighing about 213
By Summer of 2009 I was down to 188.
Then I started gaining. By April of 2010 I was up to 218.
I'm now in at 208 as of July 27, 2010.

Yeah, its a crappy long process.
I've esentailly lost no weight in the last two years.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Yeah I know it sucks.
I was diagnosed October of 2008 weighing about 213
By Summer of 2009 I was down to 188.
Then I started gaining. By April of 2010 I was up to 218.
I'm now in at 208 as of July 27, 2010.

Yeah, its a crappy long process.
I've esentailly lost no weight in the last two years.
That's depressing. It really is.

It's just not 'fair'! I look at skinny people and really, they aren't working so hard as we are -- not the ones I know who are 'naturally skinny.'

I am going to remain hopeful about this new endo at the end of Sept. If he doesn't help me I might as well buy and MuMu or a tent and start wearing that and hide under a rock.

My poor husband! He never complains about my weight, but I turn MYSELF off!!!!

I am still hopeful that we will find a way for our bodies to work optimally and to be lean and healthy.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:15 PM   #149

you have to change that mind set!
Changes to our health, like most other things starts within.

You have to love yourself no matter what condition your are in.

If this dr doesnt work, you are just going to keep trying. Some people like Pam, have had to go to 5 or more drs. We cant help that the medical comunity doesnt understand thyroid disease but we owe it to ourselves to be proactive and keep tryin'
Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #150
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks, Ileen.

I just don't feel like myself right now. I look in the mirror and see an old, fat lady.

I'm glad that I've got my thought processes back since the iodine supplement, but in the mirror there's still that fat old lady looking at me. That isn't ME!

I am desperate. I'm sure I am not the only one to have felt this way before.

I'm sure I'll keep trying if Dr. Bhushan isn't 'the one' . . . but right now I'm really praying that he IS.