Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #61
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Brainfog is rampant with low progesterone, low estradiol, low thyroid. Gotta do all the tests to see if it's 'one or more'.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Brainfog is rampant with low progesterone, low estradiol, low thyroid. Gotta do all the tests to see if it's 'one or more'.

Pam
I am going to hit her with all of it today and hope she does the tests.

Alternately, I'm going to ask her if she could call Dr. Bhushan's office and get me seen earlier than the end of Sept.

I think my chest pain (which I'm still having) and elevated resting heart rate are going to get her attention -- hopefully she'll just run the dang tests!

I'll let you know how it went when I get back this evening.

Thanks for all your help!
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #63
Thyroid Patient Advocate

See, that's what scares me. A doctor giving a patient T3 yet doesn't test for it, and T3 can be known to cause heart involvement (cuz pulse goes up, etc. you get 'energy'). I've not seen too many docs who will hand out T3 without testing it.

If I were YOU, I'd have already had my FT4, FT3 done at a lab..giving a patient T3 without testing to see if it's already high/low...um....not a good thing IMHO.

Pam
Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
See, that's what scares me. A doctor giving a patient T3 yet doesn't test for it, and T3 can be known to cause heart involvement (cuz pulse goes up, etc. you get 'energy'). I've not seen too many docs who will hand out T3 without testing it.

If I were YOU, I'd have already had my FT4, FT3 done at a lab..giving a patient T3 without testing to see if it's already high/low...um....not a good thing IMHO.

Pam
Ah . . . I see your point. At first she had me on Armour. Then when the Armour wasn't available switched me to compounded. But she's always just run the TSH, nothing else.

I'm headed out the door right now to see Dr. Gruner. I hope she doesn't think I'm crazy.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 PM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

UPDATE:

I'm just back from the new dr., Dr. Bruner, and I liked her!

She's running the Free T3 and Free T4 test for me!!!

She also brought up some other possibilites that could cause my sypmtoms that I hadn't even thought of:

Sleep Apnea (Me? Snore? She said to ask my husband. I always thought he was joking when he said I snored . . . I just asked him and he said it's not a regular occurance. So that's out.)

Early Onset Arthritis - I have a family history of really bad rhematoid arthritis. My dad gets IV treatments every three months that cost $5,000 and my grandma was bedridden with it. They took out all her finger joints. (Eww!)

Low B12 -- I thought of that. I'm not low on B12 but she can test for it all she wants.

Depression can cause all of my symptoms.

I guess she's also going to check a whole lotta' other things too, female hormones and stuff.

She said she's fine writing me a compounded Rx for Cytomel -- she brought up the Cytomel and said she's written for it with T3 before.

She said my TSH looked 'great' but that since I'm having all these syptoms she's doing the 'more detailed' Thyroid test for T3 and T4.

Hopefully I can get some answers. I just want to be 'fixed'!!!

ETA:
She told me to give up coffee!!!! Say it isn't SOoooooooooOOOOooooooo! Nooooooo! I'm willing to drop from 3 cups a day down to 1 cup. That's a big change! Well . . . . it IS!

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 07-22-2010 at 02:04 PM..
Old 07-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Someone in the know did tell me something about Dr. Bhushan . . .

This person said he's 'far left' and prescribes 'questionable' things that most endos wouldn't.

She mentioned some drug for diabetes (it started with a "P" or an "R" and it sounded like 'yettie' at the end?) and that it isn't even for thyroid patients but he gives it because it stimulates the pancreas and supresses appetite and his patients lose weight.

She said a lot of people love him but he's 'controversial.'

What do you think?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #67
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
i like controversial.

and i do not like hearing depression being suggested.

its the old "you're lazy/crazy/eatless/exercisemore"

throwup.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
i like controversial.

and i do not like hearing depression being suggested.

its the old "you're lazy/crazy/eatless/exercisemore"

throwup.
Yeah. I agree.

It's an easy answer.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #69

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
IMHO "depression" is a symptom of a disease not a cause of ill health in many. Not saying there aren't folks out there who have real depression just sick of the docs using that as a generic diagnosis for all that ails us.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
IMHO "depression" is a symptom of a disease not a cause of ill health in many. Not saying there aren't folks out there who have real depression just sick of the docs using that as a generic diagnosis for all that ails us.
I guess I better hope that some of my labs come back irregular, or else I'm depressed by default?????
Old 07-23-2010, 12:45 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Wondering if that P or R could be Byetta, normally for diabetes?
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 05:22 AM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Wondering if that P or R could be Byetta, normally for diabetes?
Right! That's IT!

Thanks! (See -- my memory is bad!)
Old 07-23-2010, 05:23 AM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pam,

I'm going for my bloodwork -- it has to be fasting. (because it's cholesterol too)

I took my thryoid med. at 6 a.m.

Is it okay to get the blood drawn at 8 a.m.?

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 07-23-2010 at 05:24 AM..
Old 07-23-2010, 08:20 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm back from getting my bloodwork done. I took my med. at 6 a.m. and they drew my blood somewhere around 8:30 a.m. Is that okay? (My thyroid med. is time-release.)

They took 5 vials of blood. There were a bunch of different stickers but I couldn't tell what all of the tests were for except one said "TSH." Hmpf! I hope they're running the Free T3/T4!! (They probably are, all of the other stickers just had codes on them, so I'm hoping it was one of those.)
Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #75
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
UPDATE:

I'm just back from the new dr., Dr. Bruner, and I liked her!

She's running the Free T3 and Free T4 test for me!!!

She also brought up some other possibilites that could cause my sypmtoms that I hadn't even thought of:

Sleep Apnea (Me? Snore? She said to ask my husband. I always thought he was joking when he said I snored . . . I just asked him and he said it's not a regular occurance. So that's out.)

Early Onset Arthritis - I have a family history of really bad rhematoid arthritis. My dad gets IV treatments every three months that cost $5,000 and my grandma was bedridden with it. They took out all her finger joints. (Eww!)

Low B12 -- I thought of that. I'm not low on B12 but she can test for it all she wants.

Depression can cause all of my symptoms.

I guess she's also going to check a whole lotta' other things too, female hormones and stuff.

She said she's fine writing me a compounded Rx for Cytomel -- she brought up the Cytomel and said she's written for it with T3 before.

She said my TSH looked 'great' but that since I'm having all these syptoms she's doing the 'more detailed' Thyroid test for T3 and T4.

Hopefully I can get some answers. I just want to be 'fixed'!!!

ETA:
She told me to give up coffee!!!! Say it isn't SOoooooooooOOOOooooooo! Nooooooo! I'm willing to drop from 3 cups a day down to 1 cup. That's a big change! Well . . . . it IS!

Well, you're brave. Cuz any doctor that tells me "your TSH looks great but I'll run the tests you ask for" causes me to walk out the door. Also, the comment on depression causing your symptoms. I'd run out on that one. But, just how I am.

Pam
Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #76
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Pam,

I'm going for my bloodwork -- it has to be fasting. (because it's cholesterol too)

I took my thryoid med. at 6 a.m.

Is it okay to get the blood drawn at 8 a.m.?
Not if you take T3. If you take T3, you take your 'split' and then you get blood five hours later.

If you only take T4, it doesn't matter when you take the blood.

Pam
Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Not if you take T3. If you take T3, you take your 'split' and then you get blood five hours later.

If you only take T4, it doesn't matter when you take the blood.

Pam
Oh, well. It was drawn about 2 1/2 hours after I took my T3/T4. (But it's time release, I get it all day long.)
Old 07-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #78
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well, that's better than. The time release part. I think my doctor was always ''talked about' as being 'out there' when he first decided that both men AND women needed testosterone. Oh, he was supposed to be really 'weird/madscientist'. I would RUN to Dr. Buhshan...seriously. What's he gonna do...hogtie ya and give ya something you don't want? (Think about it, everytime someone says a doctor is unconventional it's things that you know YOU wouldn't do in the first place "No thanks Doc, I'm here for your wonderful thyroid knowledge and T4 and T3".

Pam
Old 07-23-2010, 12:51 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well, you're brave. Cuz any doctor that tells me "your TSH looks great but I'll run the tests you ask for" causes me to walk out the door. Also, the comment on depression causing your symptoms. I'd run out on that one. But, just how I am.

Pam
She was just throwing all kinds of things out there.

But I know that I don't have sleep apnea -- my husband confirmed that I'm not a big snorer. I know that my B12 isn't low, it never is. They've checked that a bunch of times already.

So, what's left? Rhematoid Arthritis and Depression.

Okay, I am depressed a little. But which came first? The thyroid or the depression?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well, that's better than. The time release part. I think my doctor was always ''talked about' as being 'out there' when he first decided that both men AND women needed testosterone. Oh, he was supposed to be really 'weird/madscientist'. I would RUN to Dr. Buhshan...seriously. What's he gonna do...hogtie ya and give ya something you don't want? (Think about it, everytime someone says a doctor is unconventional it's things that you know YOU wouldn't do in the first place "No thanks Doc, I'm here for your wonderful thyroid knowledge and T4 and T3".

Pam

Oh, I'm keeping my appt.!

He sounds most likely to be a 'tweaker' of T3/T4, more so than a 'conventional' endo. He's the one for me!!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #81
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Depression is number two on the thyroid symptoms list though. And a couple of blood tests that SHE could run will show RA..it's a very serious autoimmune disease. Now, most of the population has OA.

Pam
Old 07-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #82
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Oh, I'm keeping my appt.!

He sounds most likely to be a 'tweaker' of T3/T4, more so than a 'conventional' endo. He's the one for me!!!!
There ya go. If he starts pushing supplements or whatnot, just tell him straight up...ya just want the thyroid treatment for now and you'll be back when ya need the BHRT I've done this. I did this to the doc who helped me the most. He understood (he's foreign too).

Pam
Old 07-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Depression is number two on the thyroid symptoms list though. And a couple of blood tests that SHE could run will show RA..it's a very serious autoimmune disease. Now, most of the population has OA.

Pam
My dad and my grandmother both have RA. If I've got it, I'd want to know early. My dad get's IV treatments that last all day, every three months.

It's possible that I have TWO things or more going on, and Dr. Gruner did point that out also.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
There ya go. If he starts pushing supplements or whatnot, just tell him straight up...ya just want the thyroid treatment for now and you'll be back when ya need the BHRT I've done this. I did this to the doc who helped me the most. He understood (he's foreign too).

Pam
I'll pretty much try anything he's willing to give me, but the Byetta stuff sounds scary. Some people have died from kidney failure. (I'm sure they already had some kind of kidney problem, but still. . .)
Old 07-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #85
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Or four things even, I agree you need to be tested for RA...family history and all..I'm just saying...it just sounds like the same 'schtick from a different doctor'.

Yep, I feel the same about the Byetta. My MIL was on it a long time, and she's now a dialysis patient. I hear ya there. Just educate yourself like you have been doing, and you should be good to go.

Pam
Old 07-23-2010, 01:40 PM   #86

Quote:
She was just throwing all kinds of things out there.

But I know that I don't have sleep apnea -- my husband confirmed that I'm not a big snorer. I know that my B12 isn't low, it never is. They've checked that a bunch of times already.

So, what's left? Rhematoid Arthritis and Depression.

Okay, I am depressed a little. But which came first? The thyroid or the depression?
My now well and truly fired endo (GOOD RIDDANCE) once offered me a stimulant, a fat blocker, and an anti-depressant all in one visit. I was like "oh, so when I poop my pants real fast I won't be upset about it?"

Its SITUATIONAL DEPRESSION. I mean yes depression is a symptom of HypO... but gaining weight for no reason is FRIKKING DEPRESSING TOO!
Old 07-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
My now well and truly fired endo (GOOD RIDDANCE) once offered me a stimulant, a fat blocker, and an anti-depressant all in one visit. I was like "oh, so when I poop my pants real fast I won't be upset about it?"

Its SITUATIONAL DEPRESSION. I mean yes depression is a symptom of HypO... but gaining weight for no reason is FRIKKING DEPRESSING TOO!
Did he want you to eat Olestra potato chips too? (Warning on back of bag: May cause oily anal leakage.)

So . . . which pill did you pick?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Or four things even, I agree you need to be tested for RA...family history and all..I'm just saying...it just sounds like the same 'schtick from a different doctor'.

Yep, I feel the same about the Byetta. My MIL was on it a long time, and she's now a dialysis patient. I hear ya there. Just educate yourself like you have been doing, and you should be good to go.

Pam
Yikes! Please tell me the Byetta didn't cause it -- that she already had bad kidneys.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #89

Quote:
Did he want you to eat Olestra potato chips too? (Warning on back of bag: May cause oily anal leakage.)

So . . . which pill did you pick?
I picked the "I am only depressed because I cannot stop gaining weight because you are cutting my meds and calling me "hyper" when I'm not. I'm finding a doctor who knows what they're doing" Pill.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #90
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I picked the "I am only depressed because I cannot stop gaining weight because you are cutting my meds and calling me "hyper" when I'm not. I'm finding a doctor who knows what they're doing" Pill.