Old 07-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
yucky beezer sorry about that! For sure post a new thread saying looking for good doc that tests FreeT3 in Baton Rouge area
I called the Baton Rouge Clinic (a HUGE doctor's complex right down the road) and they had an Internal Medicine doctor who was accepting patients -- a female, and that's what I want. It just so happened that they had a cancellation for tomorrow and could see me then!!! So, I'll go see her tomorrow and get set up with her as my primary care physician. If she doesn't want to do my thyroid stuff I'll have to get an endocrinologist.

My son sees an endocrinologist there, but I definitely get the feeling this guy wouldn't be writing me a compounded natural porcine Rx. I asked him about Armour for my son when we first started going to him and he bad mouthed it and promptly wrote my son an Rx for Synthroid. So . . . I don't know if I should go to him. (My son does fine on Synthroid.) However, he always calls me back, personally, and discusses my son's lab results with me on the same day they were drawn. That's nice.

I'll post a new thread asking for endo's in Baton Rouge. THANKS!

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
oh Beezer look upthread (last page) Pam posts a good doctor and her recommendations are always spot on. I wish I hadn't wasted nine months with a supposedly great (according to Top Docs Site) endo she tried to steer me away from.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
oh Beezer look upthread (last page) Pam posts a good doctor and her recommendations are always spot on. I wish I hadn't wasted nine months with a supposedly great (according to Top Docs Site) endo she tried to steer me away from.
Oh! THANKS!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
You might want to call her office and ask how she tests. Does she do TSH, FT4, FT3, TPO Antibodies?
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 PM   #35
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
I called the Baton Rouge Clinic (a HUGE doctor's complex right down the road) and they had an Internal Medicine doctor who was accepting patients -- a female, and that's what I want. It just so happened that they had a cancellation for tomorrow and could see me then!!! So, I'll go see her tomorrow and get set up with her as my primary care physician. If she doesn't want to do my thyroid stuff I'll have to get an endocrinologist.

My son sees an endocrinologist there, but I definitely get the feeling this guy wouldn't be writing me a compounded natural porcine Rx. I asked him about Armour for my son when we first started going to him and he bad mouthed it and promptly wrote my son an Rx for Synthroid. So . . . I don't know if I should go to him. (My son does fine on Synthroid.) However, he always calls me back, personally, and discusses my son's lab results with me on the same day they were drawn. That's nice.

I'll post a new thread asking for endo's in Baton Rouge. THANKS!
There is not an endo in your town that does thyroid well. I know that for a fact. They'll look at your TSH and chuck ya some synthetic T4. I know that area VERY WELL (one of my internists just moved down there so he could have 'normal people who only want 50mcg. of Synthroid').

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #36
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Never mind, I thought you were in Boca Raton, Fla. Sorry...Louisiana is a very hard state to get help in, but let me look!! (and while you are here, post a NEW thread with "Who has a doc who does either T4 AND Cytomel OR natural thyroid in _________ Lousiana?"

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 07-21-2010 at 02:27 PM..
Old 07-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
You might want to call her office and ask how she tests. Does she do TSH, FT4, FT3, TPO Antibodies?
Since I'm going to see her tomorrow I'm just going to write all this down and ask her in person.

Hopefully she'll work with me! ray:
Old 07-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #38
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Dr. James Hill 820 Jordan Street Shreveport, Louisiana Family Practice, Natural Medicine and Acupuncture.

Deborah Adcock, M.D., MBA, Hormones and Thyroid Issues, 2533 Bert Kouns Industrial Loop, Sterling Center, Shreveport, LA 71118, 318-688-8801.

Steve Kuplesky, Holistic Medicine, 314 Christine Lane, Simmesport, La 71369, 318-941-2057

David Remedious, General practice/internist/primary care, surgeon, Jackson St., Alexandria, LA 71301, 318-442-6989. (Armour doc).

Now, that is the whole list of Armour/T3 docs in your state. Sorry to say.

Baton Rouge was full of patient recommendations such as:

"OOH, aah, the doctor LISTENED to me" (did he give you hormone? "no, but he listened" Blah)
and the ever popular:

"the doctor took my thyroid out and then told me I'm 'special' and will never need hormone cuz the scar looks great!" (seriously, for real~)

and:

"The doctor took an HOUR with me"!! (did he give you meds?) "No, just did a TSH and told me to come back if I gain a hundred pounds". WHAT????

Anyway, it's a rough place, and you may have to travel some, but most of us are travelling over two hours one way driving to our GREAT thyroid docs. Keep in mind: Endo's do great diabetes. Not Thyroid, very few do thyroid.

Pam
Old 07-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Dr. James Hill 820 Jordan Street Shreveport, Louisiana Family Practice, Natural Medicine and Acupuncture.

Deborah Adcock, M.D., MBA, Hormones and Thyroid Issues, 2533 Bert Kouns Industrial Loop, Sterling Center, Shreveport, LA 71118, 318-688-8801.

Steve Kuplesky, Holistic Medicine, 314 Christine Lane, Simmesport, La 71369, 318-941-2057

David Remedious, General practice/internist/primary care, surgeon, Jackson St., Alexandria, LA 71301, 318-442-6989. (Armour doc).

Now, that is the whole list of Armour/T3 docs in your state. Sorry to say.

Baton Rouge was full of patient recommendations such as:

"OOH, aah, the doctor LISTENED to me" (did he give you hormone? "no, but he listened" Blah)
and the ever popular:

"the doctor took my thyroid out and then told me I'm 'special' and will never need hormone cuz the scar looks great!" (seriously, for real~)

and:

"The doctor took an HOUR with me"!! (did he give you meds?) "No, just did a TSH and told me to come back if I gain a hundred pounds". WHAT????

Anyway, it's a rough place, and you may have to travel some, but most of us are travelling over two hours one way driving to our GREAT thyroid docs. Keep in mind: Endo's do great diabetes. Not Thyroid, very few do thyroid.

Pam
Eeeek!

I wonder if I called my compounding pharmacy and asked them what other doctors are they getting compounded thyroid med Rx's from?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #40
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Her name isn't Gruner, is it? Dr. Hilton is there too (Um..I'm NOT enthusiastic). You want to ask what doctors are having ARMOUR or Porcine Thyroid (pig thyroid) compounded, or who is having Cytomel compounded then.

How far away are the docs on the list I just gave?

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 07-21-2010 at 02:39 PM..
Old 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, you can get the labs done through healthcheckusa.com, Thyroid Panel II (TSH, FT4, FT3) for around $85 - discount code at check-out, 12345. I just checked the web site and there's 3 LabCorps in Baton Rouge.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #42
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Thank you Terry!

Pam
Old 07-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Man, the healthcheckusa web site changed a lot! Articles, recipes (w/an ingredient missing, lol), etc. Like a monthly newsletter which I've never seen before - must have just missed it before. I guess I never went to that part of it.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Her name isn't Gruner, is it? Dr. Hilton is there too (Um..I'm NOT enthusiastic). You want to ask what doctors are having ARMOUR or Porcine Thyroid (pig thyroid) compounded, or who is having Cytomel compounded then.

How far away are the docs on the list I just gave?

Pam
Yes, it IS Dr. Gruner. What's the bad news? What do you know about her? I can still cancel today.

The compounding pharmacy said Dr. Rhjat Bhushan prescribed compounded T3/T4. I'm going to call his office to see what's up with him.

Shreveport is 6 hours away.

The other locations are no picnic either. Should I just stick with my aggravating hole-in-the-wall doctor? (Dr. Karen Dantin.)
Old 07-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

6 hours from Baton Rouge.

1 1/2 hours (according to Google Maps, from Baton Rouge)

2 1/2 hours from Baton Rouge
My hole-in-the-wall dr. is looking better. What to do?

I have Free T3/T4 labwork orders sitting at her office. The lab lady will be in tomorrow. . . What to do?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #46
Thyroid Patient Advocate

You need to call Gruner and tell her that if she doesn't test FT3, FT4 and if she doesn't write RX. for either Cytomel or Armour, that you don't want the appointment (or call and ask if she does the above...go from there). Yeah, immediately three people responded to my query from there, helped me make the list and told me Gruner (is new?) and just did their TSH's and that one of them had a TSH of over 3 (EEK) and she told them to 'come back next year and we'll check that again'. ??? So, I don't know....you haev to ask.

MOST of us are travelling quite a ways (especially where you are)...the three people who responded (now there is ten more, lol) all say they didn't have much luck as for getting T3 in an amount 'usable' (and there's the other end of the spectrum...some docs WILL give you T3...but just enough to shut your own thyroid down and make you want some more KWIM?).

I'd want to see Bhushan....it's rare that docs in your area even write Rx. for compounded T4/T3...but that's just my personal opinion.

Just saw your post...I'd go for Bhushan first and keep Kuplesky in case it doesn't work out.

Pam
Old 07-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
You need to call Gruner and tell her that if she doesn't test FT3, FT4 and if she doesn't write RX. for either Cytomel or Armour, that you don't want the appointment (or call and ask if she does the above...go from there). Yeah, immediately three people responded to my query from there, helped me make the list and told me Gruner (is new?) and just did their TSH's and that one of them had a TSH of over 3 (EEK) and she told them to 'come back next year and we'll check that again'. ??? So, I don't know....you haev to ask.

MOST of us are travelling quite a ways (especially where you are)...the three people who responded (now there is ten more, lol) all say they didn't have much luck as for getting T3 in an amount 'usable' (and there's the other end of the spectrum...some docs WILL give you T3...but just enough to shut your own thyroid down and make you want some more KWIM?).

I'd want to see Bhushan....it's rare that docs in your area even write Rx. for compounded T4/T3...but that's just my personal opinion.

Just saw your post...I'd go for Bhushan first and keep Kuplesky in case it doesn't work out.

Pam
It's Dr. Gruner I've got an appt. with tomorrow. I just called and since it's 1 minute past 5 p.m. I couldn't get through.

Dr. Bhushan's office closed at 4:30 but he sounds like an endo. The recording said, "welcome to the metabolic center.'

Maybe I could use Gruner for my PCP and Bhushan for my endo? (Bhushan is also just down the street.)

Maybe that's what I should do. Use both. It would solve my problem of not having a PCP after-hours for emergencies and it would be about 8 minutes from my house. They BOTH would be about 8 minutes from my house.

I'll keep the appt. with Gruner and try to make one with Bhushan. (I hope he's accepting patients!)

How's that?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #48
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Huh uh! "metabolic centers' are usually anti aging docs. They can be really great at thyroid!!

Pam
Old 07-21-2010, 03:08 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Also, should I tell these new doctors that I'm doing LC? Are they going to give me flack about it? (Should I post a new thread for this?)

I don't want them to freak out when my bloodwork comes back and says I'm in ketosis.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #50
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I just looked him up...he IS an endo, but specializes in adrenals (yay) and looks more 'anti aging'...my endo (yep, he's an endo) also spec. in that and metabolics and was great with me. They usually want you to have Armour thyroid or have a combo T4/T3 and do the right tests.

It doesn't matter if you are in ketosis. They aren't testing you for ketones I'd tell Dr. B I was LC'ing (cuz he's also an internist...and he's prolly be 'cool' about it.

Pam
Old 07-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #51

I've never had a doc respond to me being in ketosis on my bloodwork.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #52
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well, I have...but they were doing a fasting BG and put on the paper I was 'diabetic' instead of just testing.

Pam
Old 07-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I just looked him up...he IS an endo, but specializes in adrenals (yay) and looks more 'anti aging'...my endo (yep, he's an endo) also spec. in that and metabolics and was great with me. They usually want you to have Armour thyroid or have a combo T4/T3 and do the right tests.

It doesn't matter if you are in ketosis. They aren't testing you for ketones I'd tell Dr. B I was LC'ing (cuz he's also an internist...and he's prolly be 'cool' about it.

Pam
Yay! I think this is a good plan!

THANKS!
Old 07-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:

Pam
I just looked at Dr. Bhushan's website and now that I'm seeing his website I recognize him as the dr. my employer was urging me to go to when I was first diagnosed with hypothyroid in 2008. His wife goes to Dr. Bhushan and he was raving about him. At the time I didn't know much about thyroid problems and didn't think it was any big deal and since my dr. wrote me an Rx for Armour, I thought I had a good thing just using her and didn't go see him. (I know, DUH!!!! )

I'm excited now because I KNOW that this is the dr. to go to!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #55

wow I'm excited for you too! Please keep us posted on the appointement (crossing my fingers for an awesome doc for you)
Old 07-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
wow I'm excited for you too! Please keep us posted on the appointement (crossing my fingers for an awesome doc for you)
Will do!

THANKS!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got an appt. with Dr. Bhushan but it's not until Sept. 23!!!!!

That's depressing.

I asked to be put on the cancellation waiting list. I will be praying for an earlier appt.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:19 AM   #58
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Actually, that's good news. We've seen people get an appointment (right away) and then end up with the same ol' TSH and out the door. MY doctor has a waiting list of almost nine MONTHS, others have waiting lists for a year, and still others are not taking any new patients.

Pam
Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Actually, that's good news. We've seen people get an appointment (right away) and then end up with the same ol' TSH and out the door. MY doctor has a waiting list of almost nine MONTHS, others have waiting lists for a year, and still others are not taking any new patients.

Pam
You are right. My son's endocrinologist has a 6 month new patient wait.

What can I do in the interim? Take iodine supplements?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I guess I'll be begging Dr. Gruner (at my new patient appt. today) to run a free T3/T4 test on me. I can bring her the TSH test, show her that I'm taking a compounted T3/T3 Rx and tell her of my delima. Maybe she'll help me?

I need to prepare for my appt. with her today. I'm going to write down all of my symptoms. Maybe that will convince her to run the test?

SYMPTOMS: (I'm going to print these out.)

10 lb. weight gain in 1 mo. without change in diet accompanied by extreme fatigue.

Temp. intolerance has switched from being cold all the time to being HOT, HOT, HOT! (Could this be estrogen related? I'm 41. Or is it just that I live in the South where it's in the 90's all Summer.)

Muscle aches, chest pain, bursitis in the hip just from walking around. I feel old and 'creaky' and I'm just 41. I feel 80.

Fatigue and daytime napping.

Excessive sleeping -- 8 hours plus a nap.

Depression/dark thoughts increase.

Anxiety spells.

Horrible memory problems (could also be estrogen?) where I don't remember past events that I SHOULD remember, even when prompted by someone else -- don't remember. I also don't know people that I have known, worked with, gone out to dinner with . . . don't know em' at all. Don't recognise them.

Can't concentrate on my work -- I can't get my work done like I used to. I am not performing my work the same. I forget everything, forget what I've done. I have to write everything down now.

I suddenly am making many typing errors. I type 90 wpm (I need to re-test myself, see if that's fallen . . . Nope, still fast.) but now I'm always spelling stuff weird and wrong. I sometimes spell stuff like a child was sounding it out and got it wrong. (When typing that fast you don't really think about spelling. I've always done well, but now . . . it's a weird development.)

Dry skin.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 07-22-2010 at 06:44 AM..