Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lkelley36
JUDD Diet

I have seen a few post refering to the JUDD diet. I looked it up and it sounds interesting. I have been doing Stillmans/Atkins (Low Carb/Low Fat) for about 3months and have lost some weight. Have gone off of it about 3 or 4 times for Mexican food...(my favorite)

I have Hashi/Hypo and am kind of scared of the whole eating on the up day thing. I like Stillmans/Atkins because it is so restricting that you can't really mess it up...although I am not losing like I did at first...if I am at all. Would someone maybe post what they eat on this diet?

Thanks
lkelley36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
im not familar with that plan but a few on the thyroid bb are...

My coach sort of does the same thing with cycling cals/carbs ..prior i used tom venutos BFFM plan with a similar idea with good success.

on my training days i eat xx amt of cals and carbs,
non training days , less cals/carbs
and
then, since im very lean, i have a refeed.
. or prior a free meal or two a week.

the thing is, the body is very smart as trying to regulate its self.. have you tried going to maintenance and reset for two weeks and then dig in again.

make sure you arent eating too low carb/low cal..

Last edited by inatic; 06-22-2010 at 03:32 PM..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Ummm, what is maintenance and reset? You mean just going off for a couple of weeks?
Stillman's is like almost no carb/low fat (and you aren't suppose to cook with any kind of fat..), although Atkins is up to 20 carbs/high fat. I have been doing almost no carb/ low fat, but I use olive oil or butter to cook with. (Since I found out how bad margarine is.)But, when I get to the point that I feel I really needs some carbs or fat, I eat something.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #4

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
maintenance is your approximate body wt x 15cals..

it helps reset your hormones..when you up your cals with all macros..

very low cal/carbs hinders t4-t3 conversion with very low cals.

Last edited by inatic; 06-22-2010 at 04:07 PM..
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
lkelly-

I do JUDDD, and you can check out our thread on "Other Plans." The first post for the month outlines the plan, and we also have a 'recipe' thread there with things people make for their "Down Days."

However, the reason you're struggling is that you can't combine plans as you seem to be trying to do with Stillman/Atkins--it's one or the other. You're not eating low fat (according to Stillman) if you use butter and olive oil. Stillman doesn't allow either one.

I'd suggest you stick to a plan as written before doing something as radical as JUDDD. Most of us came to this because it is the only way we can lose, but I don't think you've given yourself a fair chance to see how you can lose on a low carb plan, since you're not really doing either one "according to the book."
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #6
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I also have a thyroid problem and do JUDDD. In my opinion, Stillmans seems more restrictive from what I have heard about it. JUDDD is kind of like Stillman's every other day.

The only restriction in the JUDDD plan as written is the down day calorie limit. In the book, he pretty much says "eat what you want," but no one that I know can really do that. Most folks limit fat to almost nothing on the DDs (to keep calories down) and eat lean protein and veggies. On the up day you can eat more. Some folks (like Leo) still count calories, some (like me) try to eat heathfully. All of us who have had success have found we can not treat the up day as a free-for-all. I try to treat it as a day to eat more carbs for my hypothyroidism and higher calorie things like coconut oil that are good for me, but keep me from losing at this stage in my game.

In the book, Dr. Johnson (the J in JUDDD) tells how the diet came about as intemittant fasting to control inflammatory disease like asthma and arthritis. He found that eating up to 500 calories offeres the same beneft as 0. Weight loss was a by-product. He goes into detail about how the body "resets" itself every 72(?) hours, so you don't fast (or eat low cal) long enough to slow your metabolism.

If you are thinking about it, you might want to read the book. You can do the plan with the info on the JUDDD thread or the JUDDD website, but reading his research helps to understand the "whys" of it all.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won! 11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K- I won!
12/7/14- Jinglebell Rock 5K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:16 AM   #7
Senior LCF member

Hey Gina-

I, too, try to 'eat healthfully' even though I count calories
Old 06-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the comments. Most people from what I have seen on Stillman's don't totally do it by the book, mainly because he has some things in the diet that back in those days made sense, but with all the new research, some of it seems off...lol..like eating ketchup (sugar) and cottage cheese (carbs and sugar). Course on Atkins you just count carbs up to 20 and eat all the fat you want...which I can't eat all that fat and lose weight, that is why I mainly have been doing stillman's with a little fat cause I think you need the good fat, for me in small amounts. Sounds like I need to get the book and find that thread. Inatic, I have thought about that, just to get a break and see if that would restart my body...
Thanks again for all the info!!
Old 06-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Well, I 'tried' JUDDD. But, obviously it must be for people who don't pass out on the 500 calorie days. (What a shock, in the mall, yep...right to the floor my second down day). Not a good thing for ME....(but I was just trying to load on the up days and do more of a lifting workout....).

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Oh wow Pam! That sounds awful!! I don't have a problem with low calories after I get used to it. I was anorexic for several years when I was younger..(probably why I have the problems I have now with my thyroid...) I am more scared of the up days and what to eat and not to eat...lol...

I will never forget when I worked in a hotel as a bartender. I used to go back to the kitchen and eat the lettuce (pretty much all I would eat back then). The lady that worked there told me, "You're going to get fat one day just eating all that lettuce!" Wow!!..lol..think I should have listened to her!!!...lol
Old 06-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #11

Gallery: Ilpirata
JUDD is not for anyone with any eating disorder tendencies it will really exaccerbate them.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/204.6/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Hey Gina-

I, too, try to 'eat healthfully' even though I count calories
True, true. You are one of the most "healthfully" eaters I know. Primal eating sounds really solid to me, but I just don't have the gumption yet.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
I've never really had an 'eating disorder'. No binging, no bulimea (although I never want to eat much when I'm doing chemo). I've ALWAYS been like this...if I eat less than 900 cals in any given day...I'm hitting the dang floor, lol.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #14

Gallery: Ilpirata
no no not you pam! silly. That was something for lkelley to be careful of... even if those tendencies are in the past I have personally noticed that JUDD can exaccerbate them greatly. GREATLY. People with binge eating histories have also not done well with JUDD at all.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

That is interesting...I just figured the down days would be pretty easy...but not sure about the up days...scared I would just start gaining weight again. It has always been sooo hard. That's why I ended up anorexic in the first place. I think I have had this thyroid problem for a long time, and no one ever tested me for it. Thinking back at my low iron, shaking leg stuff, corporal tunnel, even my birth!!..all the cobalt treatments and blood transfusions for my hemangioma that I had on my back...ect...I wish doctors just routinely did thyroid test. Seems with all the people with problems these days, they would. Thanks again!!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
Senior LCF member

Those DDs would provide fodder for your anorexia to return. From what I've read and heard, anorexics spend a lot of energy controlling their food intake and planning how to eat less. Those of us who do JUDDD also get obsessed with figuring out how to eat less on DDs. That's why the ED tendencies will return for anyone who has them.

Your comment about the DDs being easy but worried about the UDs is classic anorexia thinking. Once I was reading on another board, and someone who was claiming to do JUDDD was posting about 7 consecutive DDs at <300 cal. I knew this was someone with an ED history for whom it had returned via JUDDD.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
MLE
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MLE
Stats: 175/140/130 5'5"
WOE: Atkins/Crackin'
Start Date: June 2010/New start in 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
JUDD is not for anyone with any eating disorder tendencies it will really exaccerbate them.
I can totally attest to the flip side of this. I have been trying to loose the last ten pounds on Atkins for about two months and read about cal/carb cycling tricking the metabolism and increasing weight loss. Having a history of BED/bulemia, this quickly turned into a battle for me on controlling what and how much I allowed myself to eat on an up day. I was only into the second week of experimentation when I started losing control. I have just started Atkins induction again to rid myself of the sugar cravings and get back into ketosis. I should've known ...
Fortunately, I've recognized the behavior and quickly put a stop to it before it got too out of hand.
Lost 30lbs. in 6 months with Atkins
Learned the value of carbs with CTFLC
Trying JUDDD on for size
Minigoal - 135lbs.
GOAL - 125lbs.
MLE is offline   Reply With Quote