Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Insomniac
Thyroid symptoms --- excessive sweating, weight gain...

What types of symptoms did you all have before a doctor finally took you seriously? I've been having hot-flash type symptoms for nearly a decade, well before I was fat, thank you (one doc's reason), but lately the sweating has been excessive on my face and on the back of my head. I still get flashes but the dripping sweat on the face/head has gotten worse. This happens winter or summer and I am always hot. Yet, I've only lost 18 pounds since last July. Some of my symptoms sound like hyperthyroidism, some sound like hypothyroidism. I'm only 34. I don't know where to turn or which type of doctor to see. I'm sick of being blown off and told I'm just fat. Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I didn't have any hot flash-type symptoms. I was the opposite, always cold. My other big symptoms were fatigue and weight gain for no apparent reason.

No matter what doctor you see, if he/she doesn't "get" thyroid, the symptoms you give won't matter. They will do a TSH test and tell you are "within range."

It sounds like you might have hormone issues, something I really know nothing about but others here do. They will be of much more help than me I'm sure. My doc specializes in both. Maybe you can find someone similar near you.

There are labs where you can get your own tests run. Helathcheck is one of them.

You can start a new thread titled something like "Need a good doctor near XXXtown."

Good luck. You are probably in for a long haul, but you have come to the right place to get started.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:43 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Gina...and you're right; general tests have been "within range"...grrrr.
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Ilpirata
the "symptoms" my GP took seriously were the blood test results from the blood tests I paid for myself.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #5
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
NORMAL:

Free T4 (normal at HALFWAY of it's range, not below)
Free T3 (normal at 2/3 to 3/4 to all the way to top, not below 2/3 of range)
TSH....it's a pituitary test, not a thyroid test, can change up to three whole POINTS in any given day.

There..now get out those labs and look and if the doc didn't DO Free T's...then that's a normal doc.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Pam; I'll check those out since I still have my recent results.

Kisha, I know what you mean; I may pay for some myself with the cost of co-pays to even get in to see a doctor who is super familiar with thyroid issues.
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #7

The only other symptoms that seem to get a response are massive amounts of hair falling out. (a look up at the crown of my head and a slow sad nod) and for some reason they also seem to respond to "constipation"

So be sure to tell the doc how terribly terribly constipated you are.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpirata View Post
The only other symptoms that seem to get a response are massive amounts of hair falling out. (a look up at the crown of my head and a slow sad nod) and for some reason they also seem to respond to "constipation"

So be sure to tell the doc how terribly terribly constipated you are.
don't forget Fatigue (with the capital F) that one is a trigger for doctors up here
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
I took a handful of hair that had fallen out when I blew dry my hair, put it in a folded sheet of waxed paper and handed it to the doc and asked is she thought this was what happened to her when she dried her hair that morning! That worked for me!! (well, I told her lots more but that was real effective!!) :-)
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:03 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Madger
WOE: vlc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
What types of symptoms did you all have before a doctor finally took you seriously? I've been having hot-flash type symptoms for nearly a decade, well before I was fat, thank you (one doc's reason), but lately the sweating has been excessive on my face and on the back of my head. I still get flashes but the dripping sweat on the face/head has gotten worse. This happens winter or summer and I am always hot. Yet, I've only lost 18 pounds since last July. Some of my symptoms sound like hyperthyroidism, some sound like hypothyroidism. I'm only 34. I don't know where to turn or which type of doctor to see. I'm sick of being blown off and told I'm just fat. Suggestions?
I don't know where in Michigan you are, but I found a dr in Ann Arbor that gets thyroid (Dr.Neuenschwander - Dr. Neu for short, lol) . Just yesterday I seen the NP and was really happy with how thorough and educated she was about thyroid.
Madger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #11
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Oh, thanks so much Madger....I came here after reading your PM to me about your great appointment.

And...um...excessive sweating, weight gain, etc. were MY first symptoms at age 30.

Pam
Old 06-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Just noticed the "hot" sweaty head. I have had that a long time....I normally don't sweat, but my head was always hot and wet...I have come to the conclusion it was a lack of T3 for me. I haven't changed my hormones, but the T3 has drastically changed and the "sweaty hot head" is gone. Thanks for making me realize that one! Of course, we are all different, but I had the same thing. I was not "cold" on NDT...I was COLD without any meds. And now that I'm on T3 only, I don't have the hot head and I'm neither hot nor cold. Something must finally be working! too bad I can't find a doc! ha ha
Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Madger
WOE: vlc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac View Post
Thank you Pam; I'll check those out since I still have my recent results.
Maybe post your recent results here. I have a nonworking thyroid but didn't have typical hypo symptoms, posting my labs here helped give me a sense of direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Oh, thanks so much Madger....I came here after reading your PM to me about your great appointment.
Thanks! I'm sooo happy!

Last edited by Madger; 06-23-2010 at 09:16 AM..
Madger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimers View Post
Just noticed the "hot" sweaty head. I have had that a long time....I normally don't sweat, but my head was always hot and wet...I have come to the conclusion it was a lack of T3 for me. I haven't changed my hormones, but the T3 has drastically changed and the "sweaty hot head" is gone. Thanks for making me realize that one! Of course, we are all different, but I had the same thing. I was not "cold" on NDT...I was COLD without any meds. And now that I'm on T3 only, I don't have the hot head and I'm neither hot nor cold. Something must finally be working! too bad I can't find a doc! ha ha
This is weird. I am not an overly sweaty person either, but all my life my head has sweated in the night. Not too big of a deal, but it makes a huge mess out of my hair. I have ALWAYS had to wash and style in the morning. I noticed that for the past few months my hair looks pretty much the same (after I brush it of course) in the morning as it did the night before. The thyroid affects SO much.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:58 PM   #15
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post
This is weird. I am not an overly sweaty person either, but all my life my head has sweated in the night. Not too big of a deal, but it makes a huge mess out of my hair. I have ALWAYS had to wash and style in the morning. I noticed that for the past few months my hair looks pretty much the same (after I brush it of course) in the morning as it did the night before. The thyroid affects SO much.
YES, you wrote it so eloquently! EXACTLY! I hear this over and over again, and yet most of us never associate it with thyroid...we usually associate that with menopause.

Pam
Old 06-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

I love this forum!!! I have learned so very much!!!! Thanks Pam and everyone. We validate each other beautifully!!! Love it!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Don't forget, along with the Fatigue, Falling asleep in the afternoon!
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:19 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
The excessive sweating was one of the main symptoms that drove me to the doctor to get my thyroid checked - along with the weight gain and a bout of hypertension and other symptoms. It would only take a small amount of physical exertion or heat to cause the sweating, especially facial and head. I had people at work ask me a couple of times: "Are you okay?" It was very embarassing. I had several other symptoms also (weight gain, gravely voice and elevated blood pressure. Along with the proper tests (See the sticky at the top of this forum) and my doc working with me to get effective meds, this sweating problem has gotten much better since last September. In fact, it has been a couple of months since I've noticed anything.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #19

I still sweat like crazy face and head... though I DO think its improving alot.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lethal Lee
Stats: Start:200/Current:165/Goal:120
I couldn't sweat at all for many years. Supposedly that is much worse as you cannot regulate body temp well. Also the skin is one of your main detox organs!!!

Then I started sweating profusely & inappropriately (not related to activity or temp). Turns out that was because of Adrenals. Specifically I was low in Aldosterone (another Adrenal Hormone) as well as Cortisol. As well as Cortisol HRT (Prednisolone +HC) I needed Florinef (helps retain Sodium) to get rid of that symptom.

To test you need to do blood tests of Aldosterone, Renin, Sodium & Potassium at the same time following specific protocol as explained here

Aldo & Renin Test Preparation
realthyroidhelp.com • View topic - Aldosterone and Renin Test Prep.

This provides some more info...

EXPLANATION OF THE RENIN-ANGIOTENSIN-ALDOSTERONE-SYSTEM
realthyroidhelp.com • View topic - Chris' explanation of the renin angiotensin aldo system
Lethal Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #21
Thyroid Patient Advocate

My half sister couldn't sweat. That's adrenal most usually. But sweating profusely with hypothyroid is one of the most common symptoms.

Getting a doc to DO those tests you refer to Lee here in the usa is like pulling teeth. And no matter what they LOOK LIKE, more pulling to be diagnosed and treated. Um, I don't know what it cost YOU to have them, but I know my doc charges upwards of several hundred dollars for the whole panel. Could ya kind of throw out a few names of docs in the OP's state that do that? It would be most helpful.

Pam