Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: statois
Doctors near Denver CO

Good morning, can you please recommend a doctor in the Denver vicinity. I like mine (personality wise), but I think we are not seeing eye to eye. He is hesitant to increase my meds, although I do appreciate him being extra cautious.
Thanks in advance
statois is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Do you want increased because of 'how you feel' or because of labs? Do you have a recent Free T4 and Free T3 testing (with lab ranges please)? And current dose you are on? And what hormone and how long have you been on it? (yeah, I know docs in that area and that's why I'm asking...not trying to be 'nosy').

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Pam, thanks for your responce.
i have begun the treatment in February. started at 1/2 grain and had been increasing every 6-8 weeks.
here are my labs as of 3 weeks ago
TPO – negative
TSH - .63
Ft4 1.9 (0.8 – 2.7)
FT3 311 (210 – 445)
at that time i was on 1 grain of Efra
the doc said it is perfect. sadly, i do not feel perfect (although i do feel a bit better) my hairs is still falling, i have the dull pain/sensation from time to time in the lower neck area, clogged ears.
i begged him to increase my meds. he though that the increase may make me hyper but agreed to 1/4 grain every other day. i did this for a week and then bumped myself up 1/4 every days (last 2 weeks), hence as of 2 weeks ago i am on 1 1/4 grain of Efra. I have also noticed that every time i increase (even by a miniscule dose like 1/4 grain) my hair sheds twice as much. He thinks it is not related to a Thyroid, but i see the obvious co-relation. I like him a lot, but i am not sure if he can lead me to recovery and i would like very much to try to retain at least some of my hair:}
Old 06-09-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I really, honestly don't know of any doctor who would let you move up 1/4 grain every few DAYS (and it appalls me, even, heh heh) and I'd want to see a VERY recent iron and ferritin as well as progesterone. You'd want to stay on that 1.25 grains for about six weeks and re test. I HOPE you took HALF your daily Armour and then tested not less than four and not more than five hours afterward? For those tests?

I seriously have a list of docs..but none that would entertain the idea of raising you THAT fast...KWIM? And then you might end up with NO doc and no way of going back to this doc. Of course, your FT3 is 'not perfect' (for you) and you need a RT3 before running to another doctor. So...in about four weeks, if you stay on that 1 and a quarter grain..take half of it am, test four to five hours, make SURE he writes for an RT3, FT3, FT4, etc. and see if maybe you feel so crap cuz of RT3 and thyroid hormone resistance.

JMHO

Pam
Old 06-09-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
I really, honestly don't know of any doctor who would let you move up 1/4 grain every few DAYS (and it appalls me, even, heh heh) and I'd want to see a VERY recent iron and ferritin as well as progesterone. You'd want to stay on that 1.25 grains for about six weeks and re test. I HOPE you took HALF your daily Armour and then tested not less than four and not more than five hours afterward? For those tests?

I seriously have a list of docs..but none that would entertain the idea of raising you THAT fast...KWIM? And then you might end up with NO doc and no way of going back to this doc. Of course, your FT3 is 'not perfect' (for you) and you need a RT3 before running to another doctor. So...in about four weeks, if you stay on that 1 and a quarter grain..take half of it am, test four to five hours, make SURE he writes for an RT3, FT3, FT4, etc. and see if maybe you feel so crap cuz of RT3 and thyroid hormone resistance.

JMHO

Pam
well, i guess i did not make myself clear.
i am not raising 1/4 every other day, i have raised 1/4 total (2 weeks ago) and planning to stick with it for another 6 weeks (so, i am not raising fast at all, ruther slowly). the doc wanted me to rotate 1/4 every other day (day off, day on), for example - monday 1 1/4, tuesday 1 grain -that makes 1/8 of total raise.
don't have progesteron, but the ferritin is 35 (low), i am taking iron and it is going up slowly.
yes, i did the tests 4 hour after taking the morning dose. No RT3, but my FT3 had improved very much from last test (9 weeks ago), hence i really do not think i am resistant... do you think i may be even with my FT3 improving?
the reason i am asking for recommendations, my doc is very hesitant to raise my dose, since he is thinking that my numbers are perfect. he wanted me to stay on 1 grain and thought my FT3 was just right.
Thanks
Old 06-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
Thyroid Patient Advocate

My doc would have raised your dosage about that 'fast' too. I think your hair fallout is from your very low ferritin (what's your iron with lab range?). it could also be from low progesterone or too high testosterone too. Hard to tell.

I saw great improvement over a period of about eight MONTHS depending on dosage/FT's, etc. RT3 is the test that SHOWS resistance, not your FT3. FT3 can be nice and high yet if RT3 is also high, that shows resitance.

I'd wait till the next six weeks go be and see how the testing comes out. (I, personally, think it would be 'goofy' to do 1/4 grain every other day too..I'm with ya on that!).

I gotta say that you'll probably end up around 2 grains DEPENDING on your next tests. And that's kind of the 'breaking point' for many of us. That's the dosage where we feel 'ok' but sometimes if we add a little more...then we go hyPER...and trust me, you do NOT 'know' when you are hyper..it's really subtle...I've sworn a few times I could NOT be 'hyper'...but I was...tests don't lie and by the time the tests arrived, I KNEW I had gone hyPER (but that's after I argued with the doc, heh heh). (And...I think you have room for FT3 to go up, personally...it's not 'just right' yet, I agree with ya there).

Pam
Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: denverjenny
Hello Pam, would you mind forwarding me the denver area docs you know of that are good? I had posted a long while back about getting nowhere with my doc's PA (that's all I am allowed to see, been going to this office since 2003)...and since Armour changed I feel even worse. They keep me with a free T4 BELOW the range and a Free T3 at the bottom of the range but since my TSH is now .4 (their range is .45-4.5) they think I should LOWER my dose even though I feel worse than ever. Cannot take this anymore, neither can my husband, since my worst symptom is irritability...lol.

Thanks for any help!!!
denverjenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverjenny View Post
Hello Pam, would you mind forwarding me the denver area docs you know of that are good? I had posted a long while back about getting nowhere with my doc's PA (that's all I am allowed to see, been going to this office since 2003)...and since Armour changed I feel even worse. They keep me with a free T4 BELOW the range and a Free T3 at the bottom of the range but since my TSH is now .4 (their range is .45-4.5) they think I should LOWER my dose even though I feel worse than ever. Cannot take this anymore, neither can my husband, since my worst symptom is irritability...lol.

Thanks for any help!!!
How long ago did you post? (you've only posted four times..I'll look). I just looked for your previous posts. So, how MUCH are you on now? (I see one of your posts says you WERE on 90mg. (1.5 grains). You'll have to forgive me if I don't get right back to ya..I'm trying to start up a baking biz on my own (EGADS....been working since 2am and just got home a little while ago).

Howard Kerstein Endocrinology 3865 Cherry Creek N Dr, Ste 322 Denver, CO 80209 / 3865 Cherry Creek N. Dr, #322, Denver, CO 80209, 303-394-2888. (patient rec. says he does give T3...but not 'how much'...and either Cytomel or natural).

Well, that's all. I have seven others who 'might' give you a grain of thyroid (if your lucky???). Denver is really rough. Sorry...how far can you travel...and to where? Most of us are travelling up to two hours ONE WAY for a good thyroid doc. Let me know some names of cities around you....as everyone knows, I flunked geometry (lol) and don't know 'where' in CO you are. is Boulder near? Is Centennial, Colarado Springs near??? You'll have to put some names of cities down for me and then I'll try and find.

Now, you might want to re post here...with a new post with 'Who knows of a thyroid doc who does FT's, and gives T3 in/near/around Denver, CO?" and see what comes up. I know I had a heck of a time with one patient here on boards about two years ago, and she ended up travelling over three and a half hours to a naturopathic physician who 'understood' where FT's should be. She's still seeing this doc too (and he's NOT taking ANY new patients, sorry).

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 06-09-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Old 06-09-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Free T4 was .4 (range .7-2.7) and Free T3 was 318 (range 220-450)
I am 36, on birth control pills because I get lots of symptoms of low estrogen throughout my cycle without them...
Old 06-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well, you see, birth control pills (and I'm not saying to not take those, lol) bind a huge percentage of the incoming thyroid hormone...so you're not really 'getting' what's incoming...that's why your Free's are so low, but most GOOD thyroid docs would give you more thyroid to compensate.

Pam
Old 06-09-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thanks Pam! LOL I am no good with areas either...I am right smack dab in between Boulder and Colorado Springs...I think I actually called Dr Kerstein's office about a year ago and right away his receptionist told me they wouldn't give me Armour so I never made an appointment. I am currently sill on 90 mgs of Armour...I started the birth control pills at around the same time Armour reformulated...go figure...lol...hard to figure out what make me tired. I tried telling my doc's PA that I might need more Armour since I started taking the birth control pills and she poo-pooed it away saying it didn't matter and doesn't affect thyroid. Sigh.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well, we know the 'reformulated Armour' isn't 'working well'. Many are switching out to T4 and Cytomel (and Dr. K does give Cytomel). You really might want to consider either switching out to synthetic combo OR getting ERFA Canada (didn't you post that's what you were going to take at one time?).

Pam
Old 06-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well, gee, here's one of the MOST FAMOUS doctors in the WORLD for thyroid:

John C. Lowe, MA, D.C., Center for Metabolic Health, 1800 30th St., Suite 217A, Boulder, CO 80301, Phone (303) 413-9100 Fax (303) 413-9101

Here's another famous doc (trained with Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum and worked with John Lowe)

John O'Hearne, MD, Internal Medicine, Integrative/Holistic Medicine, 1823 Folsom, Suite 200, Boulder, CO 80302, 720-406-7581, http://www.jsohearnemd.com

Here's an Armour doc, well versed in thyroid treatment:

Dr. Juetersonke, Thyroid, 3525 American Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80917, 719-597-6075, Bioidentical hormones, Colorado Springs, Colorado Springs.

Another Armour doc (but don't know how 'much')

Laurie Grant, PA-C, MBS, Holistic and Natural Medicine, 2207 W Colorado Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80904, 719-531-5768.

And last, but certainly not least, a holistic doc who really works WITH the patient in thyroid care and treatment:

Dr. Joel Klein, 620 South Cascade, Ste C, Colorado Springs, CO, 80903 (719) 457-0330

I wouldn't doubt it would take a LONG time to get an appointment (if at all) with the first two (but I'd wait it out, that's for sure!), the rest, I'm not quite so sure. Have NO idea if some or all will take insurance or are cash only (as are most the best thyroid docs). Hope this helps.

Pam
Old 06-09-2010, 01:57 PM   #14
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverjenny View Post
Thanks Pam! LOL I am no good with areas either...I am right smack dab in between Boulder and Colorado Springs...I think I actually called Dr Kerstein's office about a year ago and right away his receptionist told me they wouldn't give me Armour so I never made an appointment. I am currently sill on 90 mgs of Armour...I started the birth control pills at around the same time Armour reformulated...go figure...lol...hard to figure out what make me tired. I tried telling my doc's PA that I might need more Armour since I started taking the birth control pills and she poo-pooed it away saying it didn't matter and doesn't affect thyroid. Sigh.
Well, it's a good thing I don't live there. I'd have NOT paid the bill and told her: "It doesn't matter if I pay the bill..you don't know what you're talking about, and now we're even". But, I'm like that.

Pam
Old 06-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Yep, I tried the Erfa and had such high hopes, but within a few days I got a weird pimply rash all over my neck and had terrible insomnia and anxiety so I couldn't fathom trying to stick it out on that...
I am willing to try the synthetics....an old family dr I used to have once told me that once a person is on Armour, they know the "good life" and they'll never feel as good on anything synthetic. That can't possibly be true, can it? I'm just tired of feeling like crap, but obviously not getting any better staying on Armour since it's changed. Oh sigh. LOL. Thanks for your help Pam! You are indeed the thyroid guru....

And LOL on your last post...I just saw that!!! HAHA!!!

I *HAVE* heard of Dr. Lowe!!!!! I'm gonna do a little research and see if I can get into see him!

Last edited by denverjenny; 06-09-2010 at 02:01 PM..
Old 06-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:

Dr. Juetersonke, Thyroid, 3525 American Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80917, 719-597-6075, Bioidentical hormones, Colorado Springs, Colorado Springs.

Pam
I sent my sister to see this one. She is quite happy with him. He does RX Armour and seems to know what he's doing
RavenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Oh, RavenG..thank you so much for your input!

Pam
Old 06-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RavenG
Stats: 305/184.6/160 or 28/10/8 - Whichever Comes First!
WOE: Atkins/Primal/Paleo
Start Date: June 2006
Quote:
Oh, RavenG..thank you so much for your input!

Pam
No problem I may be going to him myself when DH and I move back to Colorado Springs once he retires from the Army. I switched over to ERFA about 6 weeks ago. I can't believe how bad I was feeling on the new Armour....and that it was so subtle for so long that I didn't realize what was going on! I just had my new bloodwork done yesterday so we'll see how I'm doing.
RavenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:14 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Yes thank you!!!!! I really appreciate it!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:30 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: comtngirl
Pam,
How do you know these doctors in Colorado? and why do the best thryoid doctors only take cash?

Have you ever heard of Jonathan Singer, D.O. in Denver, CO?
comtngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenG View Post
No problem I may be going to him myself when DH and I move back to Colorado Springs once he retires from the Army. I switched over to ERFA about 6 weeks ago. I can't believe how bad I was feeling on the new Armour....and that it was so subtle for so long that I didn't realize what was going on! I just had my new bloodwork done yesterday so we'll see how I'm doing.
My doctor doesn't like the new Armour so that's why he prescribes USP Thyroid.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:42 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Well, it's a good thing I don't live there. I'd have NOT paid the bill and told her: "It doesn't matter if I pay the bill..you don't know what you're talking about, and now we're even". But, I'm like that.

Pam
Pam, you know a lot about thyroid and I need some help. Here's my story...I went to this DO in Colorado to lose weight. He recommended I go on the Atkin's diet. After taking many blood and urine tests, he told me I needed to be on thyroid meds and bio hormones. He showed me the tests. This is what my thyroid tests were:
TSH 1.480 0.450-4.500
T4 7.7 4.5-12.0
T3 28 24-39
Free Thyroxine Index 2.2 1.2-4.9
Triiodothyronine, Free Serum 2.1 2.0-4.4

He started me on 2 gr USP Thryoid and moved me up to 3 gr. I do feel a lot better but he has not tested me again - its been 3 months. Also, he has prescribed bioidentical hormone pills and it appears from what I read on this site, that's not good esp estrogen pills.
So my question to you, from seeing my results do I really need thryoid meds (or is he prescribing to help me lose weight?) Our health plan is switching over to Kaiser and I'm afraid the new doc won't prescribe thyroid usp anymore if my tsh levels are normal and I'm not sure he can even prescribe usp. Some helpful advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:45 AM   #23
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtngirl View Post
Pam,
How do you know these doctors in Colorado? and why do the best thryoid doctors only take cash?

Have you ever heard of Jonathan Singer, D.O. in Denver, CO?
I know about these doctors because I'm a thyroid patient advocate. (I cannot, however, tell you a doctor to go to in Hong Kong...having trouble with that city...so,,,if YOU know of one, please speak up).

Pam
Old 10-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #24
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Pam, you know a lot about thyroid and I need some help. Here's my story...I went to this DO in Colorado to lose weight. He recommended I go on the Atkin's diet. After taking many blood and urine tests, he told me I needed to be on thyroid meds and bio hormones. He showed me the tests. This is what my thyroid tests were:
TSH 1.480 0.450-4.500
T4 7.7 4.5-12.0
T3 28 24-39
Free Thyroxine Index 2.2 1.2-4.9
Triiodothyronine, Free Serum 2.1 2.0-4.4

He started me on 2 gr USP Thryoid and moved me up to 3 gr. I do feel a lot better but he has not tested me again - its been 3 months. Also, he has prescribed bioidentical hormone pills and it appears from what I read on this site, that's not good esp estrogen pills.
So my question to you, from seeing my results do I really need thryoid meds (or is he prescribing to help me lose weight?) Our health plan is switching over to Kaiser and I'm afraid the new doc won't prescribe thyroid usp anymore if my tsh levels are normal and I'm not sure he can even prescribe usp. Some helpful advice would be appreciated.
You need to take your 'split' (half your daily 3 grains) then test for Free T4 and Free T3 almost EXACTLY five hours later.

Kaiser likes to only go by TSH....ICK!!!!!! TSH is a pituitary test, not the levels of thyroid hormone....so many are running from docs who only do TSH. and I don't blame them.

Yes, you needed to be put on some T4 and T3 (and that's good it's Armour) but I don't know if you need a whopping 3 grains unless you test as above).

Pam
Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
You need to take your 'split' (half your daily 3 grains) then test for Free T4 and Free T3 almost EXACTLY five hours later.

Kaiser likes to only go by TSH....ICK!!!!!! TSH is a pituitary test, not the levels of thyroid hormone....so many are running from docs who only do TSH. and I don't blame them.

Yes, you needed to be put on some T4 and T3 (and that's good it's Armour) but I don't know if you need a whopping 3 grains unless you test as above).

Pam
Thanks Pam... I guess I can check with my new doc at Kaiser and go to someone else if he says no. I just want to be sure that what you saw in my lab results, that I do really need it and it worth my money. I can really tell I do feel better - I didn't know I felt so bad until I got on it - just attributed it to older age.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #26
Thyroid Patient Advocate

'Normal' in FT4 is around halfway of range. "Normal" in FT3 is over half range. Now look at your results. See?

Now, don't 'discount' a doc who will do synthetic T4 and Cytomel (synthetic T3) either...cuz some of those docs have a lot of experience using the 'combo' and are very good at it. Keep an open mind. Best of luck.

To help you with any 'conversion' from natural thyroid to synthetics...Armour 60mg. (one GRAIN) contains about 37mcg. of T4 and about 9mcg. of T3.

Pam
Old 10-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Thanks you are a wealth of knowledge. I want to try the HCG Diet but I'm hoping I will still lose since I won't give up my thyroid meds. I already put a post up in that section but do you have any idea how bio-identical hormones will do with this diet?
Old 11-23-2010, 04:37 AM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
'Normal' in FT4 is around halfway of range. "Normal" in FT3 is over half range. Now look at your results. See?

Now, don't 'discount' a doc who will do synthetic T4 and Cytomel (synthetic T3) either...cuz some of those docs have a lot of experience using the 'combo' and are very good at it. Keep an open mind. Best of luck.

To help you with any 'conversion' from natural thyroid to synthetics...Armour 60mg. (one GRAIN) contains about 37mcg. of T4 and about 9mcg. of T3.

Pam
I'm not on Armour I'm on USP Thyroid. My doc doesn't like ARmour - too many binders now. He told me he thinks it sucks! ha! I'm going to stay with him for this and hormones and go to Kaiser when I'm sick! He can't prescribe USP in Colorado but he has an office in Wyoming and I get my prescription from there - do you know why he can't prescribe it in Colorado?
Old 01-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm not on Armour I'm on USP Thyroid. My doc doesn't like ARmour - too many binders now. He told me he thinks it sucks! ha! I'm going to stay with him for this and hormones and go to Kaiser when I'm sick! He can't prescribe USP in Colorado but he has an office in Wyoming and I get my prescription from there - do you know why he can't prescribe it in Colorado?
Pam,

I have a thread going that says my tests are out of line. Could you read it, and give me your honest opinion on what to do? I consider you the expert on this and really need your help. Thanks!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #30
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Queenofallthings
Quote:
Well, gee, here's one of the MOST FAMOUS doctors in the WORLD for thyroid:

John C. Lowe, MA, D.C., Center for Metabolic Health, 1800 30th St., Suite 217A, Boulder, CO 80301, Phone (303) 413-9100 Fax (303) 413-9101

Here's another famous doc (trained with Dr. Jacob Teitlebaum and worked with John Lowe)

John O'Hearne, MD, Internal Medicine, Integrative/Holistic Medicine, 1823 Folsom, Suite 200, Boulder, CO 80302, 720-406-7581, jsohearnemd.com

Another Armour doc (but don't know how 'much')

Laurie Grant, PA-C, MBS, Holistic and Natural Medicine, 2207 W Colorado Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80904, 719-531-5768.

And last, but certainly not least, a holistic doc who really works WITH the patient in thyroid care and treatment:

Dr. Joel Klein, 620 South Cascade, Ste C, Colorado Springs, CO, 80903 (719) 457-0330

I wouldn't doubt it would take a LONG time to get an appointment (if at all) with the first two (but I'd wait it out, that's for sure!), the rest, I'm not quite so sure. Have NO idea if some or all will take insurance or are cash only (as are most the best thyroid docs). Hope this helps.

Pam
Hi
I am new to this forum, new to Hypothyroidism, and new to Colorado. (Originally from NY) Just a sad note to pass on to all. Dr. John Lowe passed away in January of this year. What a loss to the Millions of Thyroid/Fibromyalgia patients who have not been diagnosed correctly or are being given wrong meds. I just hope there will be someone to carry on his research and genius.

Could you please give me a list of Colorado doctors / and or Holistic who treat with Armour? I live in Centennial, Colorado
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote