LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
Isocort dosing

Hi...I"m on day #3 of Isocort and am taking 3 with breakfast and 3 with lunch. Seems to really be helping.

I have read that some people chew these and others take them sublingually. I've been swallowing them, so I guess they are being processed through the liver.

I haven't been able to find out any information on how to take these pills and am hoping someone has some insight.

I take NDT compounded with dextrose....dump the contents out of the capsules (toss the capsules) and so the NDT is taken sublingually.

Any ideas on Isocort. And how long do you stay on this? I can see how it can be addictive as it really does give you a sense of well-being. Have no clue how long to stay on it for my adrenals to heal and to "up" my NDT dose?

Any thoughts?! (NDT is 2 grains/day split in 3).

Thanks!

Michele
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 02:26 PM   #2
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Yeah, adrenal glands are addictive too. I just can't give mine up. Sigh.

Um...Isocort is NOT HC. I can't stress this enough. You must have a prescription for HC. Isocort is a 'supplement'. Generally when taking Cortef (the real deal, so to speak) your doctor in doing your adrenal testing would 'know' when you are healed. On the other hand, I know at LEAST 60 patients on HC for the rest of their lives (their adrenals rolled over and won't come back). I know several patients on Isocort who did 4x in one day salivary cortisol results (they went off the Isocort three to five days in advance of the test) to see 'where they were'.

I also know doctors that would LOSE IT knowing you were taking a compound out of the capsule (which is supposed to buffer it) and taking it subling...who knows what works for whom?

I do know several close friends IRL who've taken isocort for about eight years though (in a much smaller dosage than what they were on at first). Others I know who'se doc's won't give any HC are using cortizone cream (OTC..you know..the stuff for 'itching') and have been for over 20 years.

This is probably something you should discuss with doctor (take the Isocort in...with all packaging/directions and tell them how it helped you too, maybe it can help someone else).

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Pam. This is the NP that took 4 weeks to get back to me about whether she would dose HC or if I was to just go "on my own" and order the Isocort. After 3 weeks of waiting, I just ordered it. 4 weeks later and she called and said that she would not do the HC, but that I should start on Isocort. NO dosing instructions at all. She's my "only hope" for Rx for anything...he likes natural, so does my NDT and hormones and is good for those and a great doc for heart issues (which I had with the licorice a few months back). I have to be patient with getting answers as she works 3 days a week and thinks nothing of not responding for weeks. I'm sort of "stuck". I did my own 24 hour cortisol testing to get my results, so guess I can do it again. I guess I should just not worry about it if I am feeling better. I am charting temps to see if I am doing better. Did that with teh licorice...stopped taking the licorice and the temps, pulse, BP all went back down. In 2 days I am already seeing a bit of a rise in the temps (.1 rise). Hey, it's better than nothing! So, you are on Isocort as well. I've read that I should have done 4-3-2-1 dosing, but decided to follow the manufacturer with the 3 with b'fast and 3 with lunch. I don't need more and feel just right on this amount. Don't want to take any after lunch as I am afraid it will affect my sleep which is finally back on track with my PM bi-est/progesterone and NDT.

Sorry I dump the pills. I don't do well with cellulose or capsules at all. I've actually been saving them and have a HUGE zip lock baggie of capsules!!! Pretty funny. I like reminding myself that they "could have been" in my body! Yikes!

I did the cortizone cream (1%) waiting for the Isocort...and I do think that helped! But I"m loving the Isocort! :-) It makes me want to exercise, and I know better. I will wait 2 weeks and then raise my NDT if my temps go up a bit and are stable. I guess time will tell. Thanks for the info! Glad to know others stay on it a while. I was first diagnosed with adrenal fatigue 31 years ago, so it's pretty much part of me (although I have always had low temps and BP which is up...used to be 90/58 or so regularly...now 106/62 so it's improving!)
Old 05-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
IIRC (and I may not be), Isocort is ground up sheep adrenal gland (plus some herbs).

I had a hard time finding a dosing schedule, too, since everyone seems to have a different method. Ultimately, if we're trying to replicate a "natural" circadian rhythm, our cortisol levels will be the highest in the morning, tapering off until bedtime. During rest, however, our cortisol replenishes. So...my dosing is as follows:

8:00 am Thyroid meds (I don't split, nor do I take it subling)
1 hr later, take 3 tabs of Isocort (since I couldn't figure out if the Isocort had any negative impact on the ERFA)
4 hours later, 2 tabs of Isocort
4 hours later, 1 tab of Isocort (thanks for the reminder...taking it now)
at bedtime (to replenish overnight), 1 tab

When I first started the Isocort, I took a tablet at night before bed. I slept SO.FLIPPIN.WELL. it was unbelievable. And I woke up at 6:30 am, bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to take on the day. Today, on the above schedule, it hasn't even been a week since I started and I feel phenomenal. I'm trying to take it easy because I'm trying to HEAL and not wind up relying on the Isocort or winding up on HC. Hard to keep that in mind sometimes when I'm rarin' to go.

FWIW, I'm taking Isocort on my own because I have been trying for weeks to get a hold of my doctor and the only thing she can tell me (err, rather, her staff tells me for her) that she'll talk to me when I come in to see her at my next appointment. Needless to say, I'm looking for a new doc. If you have a doctor you can get in to see or talk to, I'd also suggest passing this by them or at least telling them that you are taking it.

You've cut out coffee and stimulants, right?

ETA: Oh, lookie. You posted while I was writing.
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I took Isocort for three weeks....before finding out that my adrenals were GREAT, and that it was my heightened IgE that was screwing everything up. Go figure (like I can't ever have anything just NORMAL for God's sake! LOL).

Here's the FAQ:
SUPPLEMENTAL FACTS:
Suggested Use: 3 Pellets with breakfast and 3 pellets with lunch. Persons over 150 lbs may wish to increase the dosage by 1 Pellet each time. An alternate method of administration is to take 2 pellets 4 times daily. This may work more effectively for severely fatigued individuals. Do not exceed taking 8 pellets daily.

-

Ingredients AMT %DV
Freeze dried Adrenal Cortex (Soluble Fractionation), Echinacea Exrtact, Prunus spp. and Lomatium Dissectum Root Isolate (Kreb Concentrate-2%) - -

Other Ingredients: -

(-) There is no %DV or the manufactuer has not provided this data.

The 'standard' dosage for a 150lb. person according to the manufacturer is three tabs am and three lunch time.

But splitting it is fine if that's how your body responds IMHO.

My body temp at any time but when I have a raging fever is about 97.1. That's my all time high. !! Woohoo!! The doc gets upset if it's over 98 in the office and I'm usually burning up and have infection.

ETA: I just spoke with my compounding pharm today...couple hours ago and asked him about taking this subling and he told me "You're not gonna get the chance to do that with them in olive oil in veggie caps..." but when I asked about doing that, he said he thought that a good compounder could actually bring it down to powder and 'pack' it into pills if they were 'good at what they do'. Hmmm. Just a thought.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 05-19-2010 at 04:40 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Pam and JazzleBug (cute name!!!). I'll stick with the recommended 3 at b'fast and 3 at lunch for the time being. I'm afraid to take one at night. I don't do any coffee, chocolate (I know...never was into chocolate...my magnesium levels must be really good!) or sodas or white stuff (sugar/flour) as I'm lactose intolerant and have celiac sprue. Interesting that we both have female doctors that obviously realize that we need their help, and yet we both gave up after weeks of trying to get answers from them, and ordered the Isocort on our own! Sad.

So...apparently everyone swallows the Isocort...will just continue doing that.

Pam, my compounded NDT is with dextrose, a very fine powder and it's easy to open the capsules (she doesn't lock them for my convenience) and dump them under my tongue. that's why I opted to not go with the olive oil...didn't want all those veggie caps in my belly. Sorry...I just have such issues with things I consume that this was one more thing I didn't want to swallow if I didn't have to! :-) She is an excellent compounder (works at the local hospital). Love her as a person too!!! I got lucky there! Maybe what you were saying was to crumble the Isocort into powder and then take it sublingually? Hmmm....that's another option I suppose. I think I'll contact Bezwecken if I can and ask them....some things are meant to go through the stomach/liver, and other things don't matter. Who knows?!?! Not me obviously!!
Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: kimberlybimberly
Stats: 184/120/120
Someone mentioned replenishing overnight:

While treating my adrenals, my doctor recommended 1/2 serving of a protein shake mixed with a cup of almond milk and 1-2 oz of turkey before bed.
kimberlybimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimers View Post
Pam and JazzleBug (cute name!!!). I'll stick with the recommended 3 at b'fast and 3 at lunch for the time being. I'm afraid to take one at night. I don't do any coffee, chocolate (I know...never was into chocolate...my magnesium levels must be really good!) or sodas or white stuff (sugar/flour) as I'm lactose intolerant and have celiac sprue. Interesting that we both have female doctors that obviously realize that we need their help, and yet we both gave up after weeks of trying to get answers from them, and ordered the Isocort on our own! Sad.

So...apparently everyone swallows the Isocort...will just continue doing that.

Pam, my compounded NDT is with dextrose, a very fine powder and it's easy to open the capsules (she doesn't lock them for my convenience) and dump them under my tongue. that's why I opted to not go with the olive oil...didn't want all those veggie caps in my belly. Sorry...I just have such issues with things I consume that this was one more thing I didn't want to swallow if I didn't have to! :-) She is an excellent compounder (works at the local hospital). Love her as a person too!!! I got lucky there! Maybe what you were saying was to crumble the Isocort into powder and then take it sublingually? Hmmm....that's another option I suppose. I think I'll contact Bezwecken if I can and ask them....some things are meant to go through the stomach/liver, and other things don't matter. Who knows?!?! Not me obviously!!
Nope, I wasn't saying to crumble the Isocort and take subling, lol. My compounder puts mine in olive oil...and he said I COULD take it if I can lick out the entire capsule (he's so funny!).

Lots put Armour subling...so why not have it already 'crumbled'. Whatever works for you..but I'm wondering if you had a larger DOSAGE if you would 'have to' take it subling if you could get it in 'pill' form.

Pam
Old 05-20-2010, 07:08 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: copar
Mimers and Jazzlebug, glad to hear you are doing well on the Isocort. My doctor just ordered the 24 hour adrenal test again for me. My NDT meds are where they should be but I am just not feeling that great lately. It is good to hear that both of you are feeling a positive difference while taking them. Keep us posted. Teresa
copar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Teresa....looking forward to your cortisol results!!! Mine were all low.

Update....2 full days+ on Isocort. Last night I told my husband I wanted to go for a little walk. A walk we have done 100's of times. Coming back home my legs felt 500# each and I couldn't even hold his hand. He had to take my wrist and keep encouraging me to keep going. I was exhausted...but not winded.

This morning, my temp was 97.1 (usually 98.2 or so) and my pulse was 53 (usually 60-72 or so).

I feel the same. I feel more clear headed and functional...no desire to exercise and sort of afraid to try that again....and I"m COLD!!!! (It's 72 in this room!!!) I"m not usually cold, I usually run a little more "warm".

Have no clue what all of this means, but I"m just "reporting in". I definitely have a sense of "well being" though....and I am liking it!!! ~Michele
Old 05-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Thyroid Patient Advocate

And I had the opposite cortisol on my testing...high, high high high....all very high. And I haven't been succesful yet getting a 'good' 4x salivary...cuz I don't seem to be able to come off the steroids long enough...then the steroids raise my insuling resistance which in turn raises my cortisol reaction...blah de blah blah.

I just know I feel REALLY good (well, for me anyway, lol) lately thyroid, wise...now..if the lungs would just cooperate....the pollen count went down and I thought for a couple days now...how WONDERFUL!!! I can breath in between my nebulizer treatments!! woohoo!!!

Pam
Old 05-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

HI all....Isocort update after a week on Isocort. I continue to feel better. However, the research I have found on the adrenal forum says to take your temps, BP and pulse 3 times a day and post averages to chart. They should go up. Mine are going down in the pulse and temp department, but holding in the BP (which is normally low anyway). I'm hanging in there and now am taking 8 a day instead of 6. I know it's not HC, but my NP will not prescribe it for me. She'll want to give this at least a month.

In order to test to see what is happening, apparently I have to be off ALL supplements that affect cortisol levels for 2 weeks. So, that's not going to happen any time soon. The adrenal people tell me that the Isocort is not going to cut it for me and my low levels, and that I need double the amount of HC than is in the Isocort if I take the max 8 a day. I have received a list of where to get HC without an Rx. Apparently this is done by many??? I"m not so sure that I want to go that route (scary), but it's 5 mg. of HC in one tablet of HC, and 1.5 mg of HC in one Isocort. That means that the Isocort is about 25% as effective as HC. And the price of HC is LESS than Isocort by far!!!! OH my.

Last night I got brave and took 1 Isocort (as recommended) just before falling asleep so that it could help the adrenals heal while sleeping and hopefully help me wake more alert. Well, it worked!!!! I was shocked. It took me a week to get the nerve to do that.

Today I will add the 8th at 3 PM....so I'll be taking 3 with breakfast, 3 with lunch, 1 in the mid-afternoon and 1 at bedtime...total of 8 which is a total of 12 mg. of HC. Less than 1/2 what is "normal" to start out on apparently on HC to help with adrenals. Hmmm.....

Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited by mimers; 05-24-2010 at 09:27 AM..
Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maile
Stats: 170/166.5/140 5'7"
WOE: PPLP and IF
Start Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimers View Post
HI all....Isocort update after a week on Isocort. I continue to feel better. However, the research I have found on the adrenal forum says to take your temps, BP and pulse 3 times a day and post averages to chart. They should go up. Mine are going down in the pulse and temp department, but holding in the BP (which is normally low anyway). I'm hanging in there and now am taking 8 a day instead of 6. I know it's not HC, but my NP will not prescribe it for me. She'll want to give this at least a month.

In order to test to see what is happening, apparently I have to be off ALL supplements that affect cortisol levels for 2 weeks. So, that's not going to happen any time soon. The adrenal people tell me that the Isocort is not going to cut it for me and my low levels, and that I need double the amount of HC than is in the Isocort if I take the max 8 a day. I have received a list of where to get HC without an Rx. Apparently this is done by many??? I"m not so sure that I want to go that route (scary), but it's 5 mg. of HC in one tablet of HC, and 1.5 mg of HC in one Isocort. That means that the Isocort is about 25% as effective as HC. And the price of HC is LESS than Isocort by far!!!! OH my.

Last night I got brave and took 1 Isocort (as recommended) just before falling asleep so that it could help the adrenals heal while sleeping and hopefully help me wake more alert. Well, it worked!!!! I was shocked. It took me a week to get the nerve to do that.

Today I will add the 8th at 3 PM....so I'll be taking 3 with breakfast, 3 with lunch, 1 in the mid-afternoon and 1 at bedtime...total of 8 which is a total of 12 mg. of HC. Less than 1/2 what is "normal" to start out on apparently on HC to help with adrenals. Hmmm.....

Anyone have any thoughts?
Personally, and this is jmho, I think you are doing the right thing given the lack of help from the medical profession in your town. I know we aren't supposed to self medicate and generally I agree with this but you have been diagnosed and know what your problem is...low cortisol. You also know what you need to treat it but just can't get it

have you read the book "safe uses of cortisol"? I've seen this book recommended many places and have been wanting to read it myself.

btw, is there anything that says you can't double dose the Isocort?
maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maile View Post

have you read the book "safe uses of cortisol"? I've seen this book recommended many places and have been wanting to read it myself.

btw, is there anything that says you can't double dose the Isocort?
I have looked online for the book ($100 used) and have requested it at the library...they are still looking for a interlibrary loan copy for me. I need to check the used book places again..it's been a couple weeks. I have read portions on line, and my wonderful doc also said the same thing and quoted Jefferies often (author). I have done HC before and had no negative reaction to it. I'm having mixed reactions to the isocort...possibly because it contains lactose, lactase and a lot of herbs that I normally don't tolerate well. And yes, those are the reasons you are never to take more than 8 in a day (although I'm sure others do). The herbs will make things worse. And I think I"m finding that as I have stomach upset with this...and I am lactose intolerant, and that may be the key to getting the NP to Rx the Cortef/hydrocortisone cream from the compounding pharmacist??? I have no idea what is in hydrocortisone...haven't been able to find "ingredients" other than "hydrocortisone"! ha ha

One thing I noticed today was that "upping" the Isocort has made me have both the "vertigo" feeling and the "low BP dizzy" feeling. One is low thyroid and one is low adrenals. So....I have a ways to go. Obviously going very slowly and not making any rash moves. After that heart situation with the licorice (which worked great for 6 weeks), I'm pretty leery! Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 05-28-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: quirkyrabbit
Stats: 143/129.5/129.5
WOE: hCGi R1P3
Start Date: Jan 1
THE SAFE USES OF CORTISOL

Conscious Healing - Adrenal Fatigue and the Safe Uses of Cortisol

I know it's a year since your message, but I was just reading this thread and just completed reading the above link!!

I get lots of info from Adrenal forum files and links
quirkyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Unfortunately, mimers is no longer posting at this site.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote