LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IzzyTheTerrible
Stats: 290/269/150
WOE: Listening to my body
Start Date: Every day is a new day. :)
Where to start?

I've been trying to sort through all these posts, but there are so many.

My doc said my (standard) thyroid tests were all normal (I don't have them available right now, will be seeing him in a few weeks), and even if I got more testing through him, I don't think he'd be able to help... he's already told me he doesn't no where else to go from here other than to try Metformin (which I'm on now - 2 weeks), and that the endocrinologists in the area are all terrible... I love my doc, in general. He listens and is willing to try anything to help me, but he's at a loss.

So what now? How do I possibly find a doctor that can help me? I'm starting to feel like I'm a hypochondriac.

I don't know if I'm hypo, what I DO know is that I have ALMOST EVERY SINGLE symptom, and they keep getting worse (example, constipation has gone from twice a week BM to more than a week in between, losing more hair, fatigue is getting extreme).

And to make matters worse, suddenly I'm getting infections left and right! I normally don't even GET sick, but in the past 4 months, I've gotten REALLY ILL 6 times (pneumonia, bronchitis, sinusitis, etc.)... and I hadn't gotten sick since I quit smoking 2 years ago.

Hubby - 267/244/???
IzzyTheTerrible is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
So sorry that you are going through all of this....we've all been there so totally understand and feel for you.

Please post the results that you have when you get home and get them. There is no way to "help" without the lab results.

You said you love your doc and he listens and is willing to help. Some of us have "given up" on finding the perfect doc, and have been lucky to have doctors that will listen, help because we do the research to bring to them...like what blood tests are the right ones and where the ranges should be. You mentioned the "standard" tests were "normal", but if he's not proficient at thyroid, adrenals, ferritin, Vitamin D levels, etc. (i.e., the endocrine system), then "normal" to him is anything in the range...and that's not going to help as many of the "routine" tests are not the correct ones, and the ranges are flawed.

I know there is a lot of info on these forums, but you really do need to be your own best patient advocate...nobody else is going to do it for you, so you must read, learn, and read more and more. A great book for basics is Kathyrn Simpson's
The Women's Guide to Thyroid Health. I got it at my local (very small) library in a town of 4,000 or so. It's the easiest of all the books I've been through which is why I recommend it.

You don't mention your age or stage in life (young/peri-menopausal/menopausal, etc.) as they all play a role too.

Send us your test results and we'll all try to help. But we can't "diagnose" without getting more info. I know a couple people are on Metformin, so maybe they can tell you their experience on it. I"m "guessing" the standard tests you had run were TSH and maybe Total or Uptake T3/T4. What you need are FREE T4, FREE T3, and the thyroid antibody test (I can never remember the initials...TPO, APO???) for starters.

Fatigue can be from poor adrenal function or thyroid, and so a 24 hour cortisol test is also a good idea...as well as Vit. D and ferritin which could also be a cause. All these tests will tell you where you stand.....and hormones? Depends on your age, etc.

Keep reading and learning.

Good luck!

~~Michele
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the information, Michelle. I don't have the test results at home, I'll have to get them from my doctors office in a couple weeks when I go. Meanwhile I'll try to learn more and gather as much information as I can, and ask that he do the FREE T4/T3 and antibody test.

You're right, it took a great many years to find a doctor that would even listen and not dismiss me as just 'another overeater,' so I will stick with him for now and take him what I learn.

By the way I'm 27, non ovulating. Nobody can figure that out. (by nobody, I mean 3 gyno's, mutliple hormone tests (including the ones you have to take at specific days of your cycle) and pelvic ultrasounds)

Last edited by IzzyTheTerrible; 03-29-2010 at 11:04 AM..
Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
Hi Izzy (I won't call you terrible!!!)

Just another little note.....call the doctors office and request that they MAIL YOU your lab tests...ALL of them, no matter what they are....even hormones, etc. It is all part of the endocrine system and part of the puzzle of your health.

Interesting about you not ovulating...and strange that nobody can figure that one out! I know it's common for "too thin" people to have that issues, but didn't know it worked in other people as well. Were all your levels in the proper ranges for your age???

Please don't wait 2 weeks....get your results ASAP. I always find out when they come to the doctor and go pick them up "that day"! Sometimes I see them before my doc does!!! Example...my bloodwork came in Thursday night via fax...doc is off on Fri, but the receptionist is there. I picked up my bloodwork results Friday morning and the doc is only seeing them today for the first time!!! tee hee hee

Stay on top of things and start files for your health...keep a copy of every single test you have done in that file!!! I started this when I was 30...I'm now 61 and when I move the new docs are ever so grateful and impressed. I have a complete "story" of when things went out of whack. It's my birthday present to myself every year.

Call the doc...don't wait!!! :-)

~~Michele

Last edited by mimers; 03-29-2010 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: typos!
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

1.89 is the only number I have to report. Doc only did THS.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Let us know when you get the full results with the ranges.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:59 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by IzzyTheTerrible View Post
1.89 is the only number I have to report. Doc only did THS.
one does not test or treat a thyroid by tsh.

As michele has already indicated, you need to have at least those basic tests.

I had a friend your age, who didnt get her cycle for YRS, finally get it back when she go on Amour..after YRS of drs telling her she's normal (when she felt like death!)

always, always get copies or your labs when you leave the office.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote