Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mom.of.6
is Effexor safe with Hypo?

Hi everyone,
I will provide an update on myself soon, but this is a post to ask for my mother.

My mom is hypo and has really fallen off her rocker in the last year. Several very severe physiological stuff...anyways - it's a long, long story.

Cut to the chase, I'm going to a doc apt with her on Friday and I had heard that the Effexor - extended release tabs (150mg/day) is not good when you're hypo. This issue has been raised to the doc in the last two appointments, but the doc ignored my sister's inquiry.

So...I'm going, but would like to have some 'real' info in had so the doc can't skip the issue.

Her TSH from Dec was 10+, but she wasn't taking her Levothyroxine 150mg at that time.

She is also taking:
Hydrochlorothiazide 50mg-Water pill for water retention (but doc said it was for blood pressure???

Levothyroxine 150mcg-Thyroid

Venlafaxine 150mg-Effexor for Depression as well as hot flashes

Klor-Con 10 meq Twice a day-Low potassium I think because of the water pill.

My sister came to stay with my mom and help take care of her until we can figure things out. Her meds are now being administered, but we honestly don't know what she's taking and what she's hiding.

Sorry this post is so long, thank you in advance for your help.

--oh she also began pulling out her hair, strand by strand (trichotillomania) last fall and is partial bald now, and is also suffering some pretty intense paranoia (she thinks someone is going to shoot her in the back while she's in her own home)
mom.of.6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2010, 03:00 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
do you happen to have some labs for momma? maybe (and cant tell with no labs) she 's losing her mind because she needs some T3? Many including myself felt totally mental without it.

And yes, Effexor is contraindicated when on thyroid meds.

Health and Safety Information on Taking EFFEXOR XR®
Quote:
Report All Medical Problems and All Medicines You Are Taking more info

Effexor XR can make some conditions worse. Tell your health care professional about all of your medical problems. Be sure to tell your health care professional if you have or had:

* Suicidal thoughts
* High blood pressure (Effexor XR can increase your blood pressure)
* Heart disease (Effexor XR can increase your heart rate, or pulse)
* Liver or kidney problems (your dose of Effexor XR may need to be adjusted)
* Symptoms of mania or hypomania, such as persistently elevated or irritable mood, a decreased need for sleep, racing thoughts, hyperactivity, and rapid, excessive speech
* Glaucoma (Effexor XR may increase your eye pressure)
* Seizures
* Thyroid problems
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Yes, FT4 and FT3 labs would be great, and um..I'm no diagnosing, but if you know my 'story'..I'm a thyroid patient advocate because my Mom died from Hashimoto's Encephalopathy. It was misdiagnosed as paranoid scizophrenia. If I 'knew you in real life' I'd be calling you on the phone right now..seriously. My Mother, also, had trich. She also would just 'jibber jabber' while doing that. And pace. Etc.

I would suggest you talk to your Mother about going IN a facility to be tested/etc. I would suggest you google Hashimoto's Encephalopathy (and don't believe it's that 'rare', it DOES happen).

Hashimoto's is the the autoimmune variety of hypothyroidism and the leading cause of hypothyroidism in women. She needs to be assessed, and she needs the following:

Free T4,
Free T3
TSH
TPO AB

and I don't know about the testing for enceph but has to do with neuropsychiatry.

Please start researching, she's not being treated 'well' for the thyroid at all. TSH is not what you go by to medicate. T4 only (what she is on) doesn't make up for not converting that T4 to T3. And she needs to be seen if you think she has the 'symptoms' of Hashi's Encephalopathy after researching that.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mom.of.6
Thanks for that info. I will do what I can this week about researching that Hashi's Encephalopathy.

I've been told that my hypo is Hashi's too, so I'm sure my mom is too. I'll get my hands on her labs.

Sorry to ask what has probably been answered in another post - but how do you get more T3 if you're only taking T4?

Thanks again!!!
mom.of.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #5

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom.of.6 View Post
Thanks for that info. I will do what I can this week about researching that Hashi's Encephalopathy.

I've been told that my hypo is Hashi's too, so I'm sure my mom is too. I'll get my hands on her labs.

Sorry to ask what has probably been answered in another post - but how do you get more T3 if you're only taking T4?

Thanks again!!!

It is given either as a separate synthetic drug (cytomel)

Or as part of Natural Dessicated Thyroid (Naturthroid, Armour, ERFA, etc.)
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #6

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
you also might want to read this:

Thyroid, Depression and Mental Health | Stop The Thyroid Madness?

you get a script for medication that is called cytomel OR you switch your T4 only medication to natural thyroid and get both meds in one pill.

T4-Only Meds Do Not Work | Stop The Thyroid Madness?

Natural Thyroid 101 | Stop The Thyroid Madness?
Armour vs. Other Brands | Stop The Thyroid Madness?
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote