The doctor is IN

Gallery: Lucy
Stats: startover 160/154/145 5'9"
WOE: Atkins (original)
Start Date: 2004, restart 5-15-14
Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
you need another dr!
Yes I think when we get all this blood pressure issue resolved or if they don't find the problem then I will get on that ASAP. Isn't that ridiculous????
Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2010, 08:15 AM   #32
The doctor is IN

Okay well went back to Mom's Cardiologist today. They found an enlarged heart and continued high BP despite being on 4 BP meds. Her TSH (the only test they did on her "thyroid" was 4.1 and he said nope that could not be a contributor. She had already seen an Endo who said the same thing and also refused to treat her thyroid issue at all despite extreme lethargy and high BP and other symptoms. What do you think about this Pam? I think her doctors are idiots.

Next, I am going to aggressively search for a doctor for both of us who will do the proper tests and prescribe according to symptoms and also who uses naturthoid. Good plan?

“Faith is the gaze of a soul upon a saving God.” A.W. Tozer
I need a seatbelt for my wagon

Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #33
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
I don't think much of a doctor who only does TSH. That's what I think. And I know for a fact medically that not dealing with autoimmune hypothyroidism leads to cardiac abnormalities as well as high BP.

I think she needs a better doctor. All around better, not just for thyroid. The very first doctor I was sent to with thyroid symptoms was a cardiologist...and he did very expensive testing, as well as a TSH..and said that 'thyroid has nothing to do with it'. Um...alrighty. If she likes the cardio, keep him, but cardio's don't do thyroid well as a rule.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #34
The doctor is IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
I don't think much of a doctor who only does TSH. That's what I think. And I know for a fact medically that not dealing with autoimmune hypothyroidism leads to cardiac abnormalities as well as high BP.

I think she needs a better doctor. All around better, not just for thyroid. The very first doctor I was sent to with thyroid symptoms was a cardiologist...and he did very expensive testing, as well as a TSH..and said that 'thyroid has nothing to do with it'. Um...alrighty. If she likes the cardio, keep him, but cardio's don't do thyroid well as a rule.

Pam
Okay that's what I am thinking. But how can he even be a good cardiologist when he doesn't consider the thyroid could be a contributor????!!! He just gave her more BP medicine. I have printed off some sources including Mayo clinic and Journal of Endo medicine that support my claim. Should I send them to him and the Endo or do you think it would even do any good?

And one more thing, is Naturo-throid still the one that is considered the best currently of the dessicated thyroid meds?

Last edited by Lucy; 04-30-2010 at 10:02 AM..
Old 04-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #35
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I think Naturethroid, Armour (the old one, not the new reformulation) and Westhroid and ERFA are pretty 'comparable'. If you can get a steady source of any of them, that's what matters.

I have five doctors. The ENT 'does thyroid' but not on ME!! LOL We go round and round about it (he only does TSH and only gives Synthroid). The cardiologist we see is glad that we see the thyroid doctor that we do..cuz he knows next to nuttin' about it. Cardiologists and other specialty doctors are overworked to the BONE and have NO time to keep up with current info (I'm SO happy I did NOT pursue becoming a doctor when I was younger...I'd have NO time to advocate or find the info that I do fine).

pam
Old 04-30-2010, 05:05 PM   #36
The doctor is IN

I had a GREAT experience talking to a pharmacist at a pharmacy that does compounding medicine this afternoon! He understood EVERYTHING I was talking about and said there are very few doctors that indeed understand thyroid at ALL and gave me names of about 5 of them that he said DO prescribe dessicated thyroid but couldn't say for sure if they are knowledgeable or just would prescribe it. So, anyway, several are close to my home and others are in Knoxville where I work. I am getting ready to look to see if my insurance has one of them on the list BTW, this pharmacist spent about 20 minutes with me about this.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:15 PM   #37
The doctor is IN

Oh my gosh I can't believe it! He recommended HIGHLY a new doctor who has just moved here from Clearwater Florida (I believe he said) and she is ON MY INSURANCE LIST! She is an M.D. and is about 4 miles from where I work!

*faints* I am calling Monday morning to see if I can get in! Okay I THINK I know what to say, any more hints or say the things I should NEVER leave out?

Last edited by Lucy; 04-30-2010 at 05:31 PM..
Old 04-30-2010, 05:36 PM   #38
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by landis View Post
Oh my gosh I can't believe it! He recommended HIGHLY a new doctor who has just moved here from Clearwater Florida (I believe he said) and she is ON MY INSURANCE LIST! She is an M.D. and is about 4 miles from where I work!

*faints* I am calling Monday morning to see if I can get in! Okay I THINK I know what to say, any more hints or say the things I should NEVER leave out?
Hey, that's great!! If it works out well....I'll be asking for your recommendation. And I sincerely DO hope it works out well.

Yanno, I was under the care of a 'famous' thyroid and BHRT doc for about 11 years. Then I was pretty well optimized and found my 'right dose for me' and didn't really care to spend two hours driving one way AND a lot of out of pocket expense (not to be ungrateful though) and decided to start educating my PCP.

It was a win-win situation. My PCP writes my Rx....and knows how to 'interpret' my FT's and all that. He even informed me the last time I had an appointment that another patient had high BP with high cholesterol and a few other symptoms and he tested her the way I am tested..sure enough, she had Hashimoto's and is doing well on a compounded porcine thyroid. I'm proud of him!

Pam
Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #39
The doctor is IN

Quote:
Hey, that's great!! If it works out well....I'll be asking for your recommendation. And I sincerely DO hope it works out well.

Yanno, I was under the care of a 'famous' thyroid and BHRT doc for about 11 years. Then I was pretty well optimized and found my 'right dose for me' and didn't really care to spend two hours driving one way AND a lot of out of pocket expense (not to be ungrateful though) and decided to start educating my PCP.

It was a win-win situation. My PCP writes my Rx....and knows how to 'interpret' my FT's and all that. He even informed me the last time I had an appointment that another patient had high BP with high cholesterol and a few other symptoms and he tested her the way I am tested..sure enough, she had Hashimoto's and is doing well on a compounded porcine thyroid. I'm proud of him!

Pam
That is fantastic! Good for you! I thought about trying that with my present Internist because I like him BUT I don't want to take the time since my Mom's condition is crucial that it be treated as soon as possible. As soon as I go and I LIKE her I am getting her there NOW! Oh and I found a N.P he recommended on my insurance list too! I will definitely report back here if I find one of them to be good!

Last edited by Lucy; 04-30-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Old 05-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #40
The doctor is IN

I am SO excited after my visit with the new doctor today!!! I started to post a new thread but decided just to post here. Anyway, she spent at LEAST an hour talking to me. I could tell she knew what she was talking about when she said most doctors don't do complete thyroid labs and that a TSH just didn't tell the whole story. She ordered a Free T3, Free T4, TSH and had me do a saliva test for hormones and adrenals. She said she had worked with another doctor where she came from who was very "into" natural medicine and she had started doing a lot of her own research in the last year. She admitted she is still learning too but it all sounds REALLY promising! I go back in about 3 weeks after they have had time to get all the tests back. She hadn't heard about Naturothroid so she wrote it down and is going to talk to that pharmacist about it (the same one that recommended her to me). I'll report back as soon as I go to my next appointment.

Edited to add:
The only thing that did bother me is that when I suggested that my Mom's hypertension could be caused by hypothyroid she said it would only be if she were HYPERTHYROID. I think she was open to checking into it however. I told her I had read in several places that indeed hypothyroid could be a cause of hypertension. I am going to print out some things and take it with me next time. I don't have high BP but my Mom does.

Last edited by Lucy; 05-07-2010 at 04:55 PM..
Old 05-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #41
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Sounds like the doc is willing to work WITH you as a partner in health care. That's very promising. It's called: Naturethroid (and no one I know right now can get it in my area...well, heck the entire STATE)...but she would have known Armour and possibly Westhroid (these are all the same thing, they are just different name brands...like Colgate or AIM for toothpaste..Naturethroid isn't 'better' just because it has 'nature' in it's name, just in case that impression is being given.

Your Mom will have to really be checked out thoroughly...with heart conditions T3 can aggravate with tachycardia, and in the elderly it's even more of a concern.

Pam
Old 05-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #42
The doctor is IN

Quote:
Sounds like the doc is willing to work WITH you as a partner in health care. That's very promising. It's called: Naturethroid (and no one I know right now can get it in my area...well, heck the entire STATE)...but she would have known Armour and possibly Westhroid (these are all the same thing, they are just different name brands...like Colgate or AIM for toothpaste..Naturethroid isn't 'better' just because it has 'nature' in it's name, just in case that impression is being given.

Your Mom will have to really be checked out thoroughly...with heart conditions T3 can aggravate with tachycardia, and in the elderly it's even more of a concern.

Pam
Thanks for correcting me! I am pretty new at this too, whew LOTS of info! Yes she did know Armour and also said there are several different kinds just hadn't heard of the Naturethroid and I think is going to ask the compounding pharmacist about the availability. She said Pharmacists unfortunately know more about thyroid and bioidentical hormones than most doctors do because they teach you NONE of what you talk about here in medical school. She has acquired her own learning from various other sources and actually just got back from a "thyroid seminar" where a lot of this was discussed about 2 weeks ago!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Excellent news! I know some docs that could use that training. Sounds like conference time to me, lol.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Blondie97OK
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: 2000
Your Thyroid Dr

Landis....I am trying to locate a GOOD thyroid doctor for my Mom. She lives in Crossville, TN. How is your new doctor working out and where is he/she located?

Thanks!
Blondie97OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #45
The doctor is IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie97OK View Post
Landis....I am trying to locate a GOOD thyroid doctor for my Mom. She lives in Crossville, TN. How is your new doctor working out and where is he/she located?

Thanks!
Well I like her for what I needed her for. I feel great again. BUT you may want to send a PM to Nonstickpam on the thyroid part. I don't know that much about it but Pam says she is not very good in that area. Oh she is located on 321 near Blount Memorial Hospital in Maryville.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:34 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LAPS
Hi, would you please give me the name of the doctor who helped with your thyroid? A Knoxville endo has confirmed I have Hashi's including nodules. He will not treat me because TSH is <2, but I do have high antibodies. I feel AWFUL.
Thanks!
LAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #47
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
that endo should have his license and his hormones ripted out

what does your free T3 and free T4 look like (with ranges)
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: donnajo
Can you send me the name of the doctor..I live in knoxville and am struggling to find a good thyroid doctor that will take my BCBS S Group insurance.
donnajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:59 AM   #49

Hey Dj!

there arent great ones in Tenn.. do a search on the thyroid forum and see what comes up.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rach7612
Quote:
Originally Posted by landis View Post
Anyone? I have been having thyroid symptoms over the last few years but it's getting worse and now I am really going to have to find a good doctor. I have been reading here a lot and on other recommended sites but I don't want to waste time and money that I don't have going to doctors who don't know/care anything it. Please help, the fatigue is getting so bad that it is almost debilitating.

I am sorry for this.. I was searching online for a thyroid doctor in Knoxville and found this forum. I joined the website so I could contact you and find out the name of the doctor, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to send a private message! I would really appreciate if you could let me know the doctor you saw as the thyroid treatment by my primary care doctor has left me feeling more confused and worse than I ever have before.
rach7612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #51

Rach you dont have enough posts/time on the forum to pm members yet.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:16 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

well shoot.. that makes sense then!

Still, Landis, if you see this, could you post the doctor's name and I can look her up? it would be very appreciated. I don't know anyone else w/ thyroid disease so it's hard to find a good doctor based on patient referral.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #53

might not lead to anything but try calling compounding pharmacies in the areas/towns/cities you are willing to drive too.

Ask them for a recommendation to drs that script natural thyroid, cytomel and bhrt (not always thyroid savoy though) Sometimes internal med docs and natural docs (watch they dont push supplements)
Old 12-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #54

thank you Santa's elf.

Dr. Janet McNiel, Family Practice, 5917 Rutledge Pike, Knoxville, TN 37924, 865-525-2121
Old 12-15-2011, 07:03 AM   #55
Junior LCF Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #56
The doctor is IN

I am so sorry! I didn't check this thread, had a lot of health problems with my Mom and Dad and they both passed away within about a year of each other.

As for the thyroid, I haven't found any doctors around here still who seem to know anything. If anyone else does please let me know. I called McNiel in Rutledge and had no luck talking without anyone who understood. We have a new compounding pharmacy down the street from where I work. I may ask them for recs.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #57

Dr. Dee is a new recommendation I just got.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #58
The doctor is IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
Dr. Dee is a new recommendation I just got.
In Knoxville? Or Close?