Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jameyrenee
Lab results...Not sure why I feel hypo

Hello all! I've been a lurker for awhile and love coming to this site for info. I received my lab results today and I'm a little confused by them because I feel very hypo. (extremely exhausted, very cold- my body temp has been 95-96, foggy headed, depressed etc.) I crashed about 2-3 weeks ago and I feel awful. I have an appointment with a new endocrinologist in a month and I'm going to see about trying NDT. Please look at the labs and tell me what you guys think?

TSH .41 0.34-4.82 ml

Free T4 1.25 0.6-1.6ng/dl

Free T3 3.50 2.3-4.2pg/ml

I had my prescription changed 6 weeks ago from 112mg Synthroid to 125mcg L-Thyroxine. I also started the atkins diet around the same time. I felt great the first month but I stopped the diet as soon as I started to crash for fear that it was affecting my thyroid. Should I switch back to Synthroid? Thank you for any input! Jamie
jameyrenee is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
It could just be what everyone talks about, the induction flu. Your T's aren't that far off of where people feel pretty good. FT4 is a little over 1/2 way, could be a touch lower. FT3 is a little under but looks to be within the 2/3 to 3/4 of the range. OR it could be something else completely. Other hormones, adrenals. The gurus will chime in.

You're only on T4 meds so who knows. Might be interesting to compare the labs previous to this when the med change was made.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:45 AM   #3
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Very low carbs will affect thyroid (not in a good way). Labs look pretty good too. Yep, could be induction flu. Many of us get a drop in potassium and magnesium with Atkins/low carb....go back to lowcarbing, keep the carbs at around 30net, use some Lite salt (or No salt...you know, the salt they sell for people who can't use salt...that'll raise potassium with no harm...supplements can be too much) and make sure you are taking a magnesium supplement too.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jameyrenee
*Update*

I had my prescription changed from generic to synthroid the day after I posted here and wow do I feel so much better! My house is clean again, depression gone and my energy levels are returning. I'm starting Atkins again but this time I will try and keep my carbs at 30-50 net like nonstickpam suggested. It's a little frustrating because I was doing so good before the med change. About two weeks after the change my weightloss completely halted and even started to gain a few pounds back. I also contacted a local compounding pharmarcy and asked for some names of local Dr's who prescribed natural thyroid. I'm excited to see how I feel on NDT! Thanks for reading. Jamie
jameyrenee is offline   Reply With Quote