Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DebM
Bad dreams/nightmares

I'm on compounded T4/T3 (only 25mg and 5mg) and also atenolol 25 mg and elavil 25 mg. Also biest in the a.m. and progesterone in the pm. I take 3,000 units of Vit D and flax oil at bedtime.

I've been having nightmares/bad dreams. I'm not even sure if I've gotten to sleep and I'm seeing things and yelling out (my husband is not thrilled). About 5 years ago I was on toprol before the atenolol but was switched because it was causing horrible nightmares. Seeing someone in the room night after night that isn't there is not good!!!

Anyway, I hadn't had a problem with the atenolol and I know it's possible that it could be the cause but wonder if the compounded T4/T3 could be partly responsible. My bloodwork which I posted before is pretty good. Anyone else have this? I really don't want to go off a beta blocker because I had a heart attack in 2001 (due to vioxx) and docs wouldn't let me. Just hate to try another one.....
DebM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Could it possibly be the progesterone? Does it need ramped down a bit? Try using half your regular amount of progesterone cream (and if you are being given oral progesterone, ask for transdermal compounded cream).

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I wondered about the progesterone. It is transdermal and is compounded cream. I'll try cutting it in off and see. It's driving my husband nuts and I almost hate to go to sleep for fear that I'm going to do it. Last night I thought a spider had gotten on me and had webs all over my body and I have a feeling that I was doing alot of moving around and rubbing my arms while sleeping to pull the webs off. Crazy!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
I had to go off the blood pressure med amlodipine because of nightmares. Since going off a couple of months ago have not had any nightmares. Here is something I copied from Yahoo Answers website about atenolol:

"Atenolol (hypertension drug) and vivid dreams/nightmare?"

I started taking atenolol for hypertension a week ago and for the last 4 or 5 nights I have had nightmares but they're extremly vivid, I remember the bright colours and the tiny details. But they are not good dreams because I have dreamt of non-pleasant things like people I know committing suicide. And they seem so real, when I wake up I really think these things have happened.

I looked it up and I have found websites that say atenolol causes nightmares and others that say it doesn't. I just want to know if it does or if it is just me, and if it does will it go away? The dreams are kind of cool because of the vividness and the amazing colours, but disturbing because of the content."
1 year ago
Additional Details
Thank you Jenna. I am going again on Tuesday so I will mention it to her.
1 year ago

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
The above answerer is right, it is not common. I however have met more people who complained of the same thing with propranolol, another Beta blocker. This was due to propranolol being a lipophilic drug and crossing the blood brain barrier in higher quantities. I believe atenolol is hydrophillic so it is reportedly less of a problem. However if a side effect occurs in one drug of a class it would be foolish not to assume it may occur in others so I would certainly go to your doctor and talk to them, you may be able to change to a different beta blocker. While I dont know your individual situation,It may be possible to try another class of drug such as an ACE inhibitor, a calcium channel blocker or a diuretic for the hypertension. I would encourage you not to stop using the drugs until you consult with your doc in person or on the phone. Good luck to you and I hope this helps.
Source(s):
med school
1 year ago
r

Different drugs can cause nightmares in different people. I myself get nightmares when I am taking antibiotics. Because you will probably be on atenolol for a while I would go to your doctor and see if he can prescribe something different, after all there are a lot of drugs out there for hypertension, he might be able to change yours.
Source(s):
Registered Nurse.
Personal Experience.
1 year ago

yes my mom had this problem, dr said your allergic too it, nightmares he changed meds shes fine, cardura works for me
1 year ago
0 Rating: Good Answer 0 Rating: Bad Answer Report Abuse"

I should add I did quite well on the amlodipine (Norvasc) for several weeks before the nightmares started.

Last edited by Redeemed; 03-05-2010 at 08:31 AM..
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I'm surprised that I have been on the Atenolol for about 5 years now and had no problems and nothing was changed as far as dosage or when I take it. I definately had problems from the get-go when I was first on Toprol and that was really bad, like every night a nightmare. I'm going to try lowering the progesterone because it has helped with me sleeping but maybe it is too much. If not I'll be calling the heart doc.

Last edited by DebM; 03-05-2010 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: misspelled
Old 03-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I'd say it almost has to be the atenolol. There's a lot of other beta blockers around.

Pam
Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

blah, I hate to have to try something else. I'm going to try the progesterone first. It's odd that it's just kind of gotten worse and I've been on the prog the least amount of time. I think Pam that you thought maybe the ratio wasn't the best with it and the bioest and you had thought it was high so that's why I'm going that route first.

Frustrating that things seem to be going well and then this crap.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #8
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well, if the drop in progeterone doesn't kick it, then you know what's next. I don't blame you not wanting to switch meds. I feel the same way about a lot of my meds for asthma.

Pam
Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
Another possibility to consider....I was having horrible "oh so real" nightmares that wouldn't go away even when I woke up...and when I would go back to sleep they would continue....almost in a constant "loop"....anyway, I was told it was low thyroid. I "upped" my dose (mine is NDT, not synthetic) and they went away....that was months ago, but I'm guessing the nightmares went away in a matter of days.
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:57 AM   #10
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I have really vivid dreamscapes all the time when I'm on steroids. Some are nightmarish, others just keep me from sleeping well. I remember being on a med called Cardura (BP) and it made me about freak out, from coughing fits all night to nightmares and screaming...whew, was glad to drop that one.

There are several meds and combinations that can cause nightmares, but if you're taking a 'known causer' I'd be changing that up.

Pam
Old 03-06-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
I had those kinds of dreams during the post partum period after my son was born 24 years ago. So, Deb's probably right about the estrogen/progesterone balance. I had less spooky but still bad dreams when my thyroid crashed. I can use my dreams as a barometer as to something not being right. Will get the same spooky dreams when I take soy. Norvasc (BP med) was not worth the restless sleep as far as I was concerned.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Interesting that last night was my night off of progesterone - I take it 6 days a week and one day off....(I know it's not the norm) and no bad dreams at all. I really haven't kept track of when I do and don't have them but that was interesting to me. I'm going to halve the prog tonight and see. It's gotten to the point that I'm ready to sleep in another bed because of my husband being woken up by me. If I do have another one I'm definately calling the heart doc. Worries me that I won't be able to find another Beta blocker that will work with the thyroid med as a "block and replace".

I know when I was on 100 mg of oral prometrium for my hyperplasia I had to be in bed within 1/2 hour of taking it because it made me soooo dizzy I was afraid to go down my steps to go to the bathroom for fear of falling and I think I had some pretty bad dreams then.