LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
Odessa, Texas Doc Review

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to or should post her name publicly, so I won't, but if anyone wants this doctor's name, PM me and I'll get it to you. Further, I have some pretty bad foggy brain right now and my memory is shot, so this is the best I can remember. If I remember anything else, I'll add it.

Finally, after what...3 weeks? I had my doctors appointment. Dr. took one look at my TSH, FT3, FT4, and antibodies, turned to me and told me (compassionately and without ego) exactly how I felt and was spot on. Seriously, I hadn't even opened my mouth yet except to greet her! She proceeded to explain the antibodies and how she simply will not have a TSH of over 1 (lower's better and she wasn't happy at all that mine's 3.81), and also how ultimately, it's my choice how I proceed - either stay off treatment and let my thyroid die a slow and painful death or treat it and get rid of those symptoms. She pushed to treat my symptoms - said there's no reason for me to live like this. She explained about Hashimoto (the person) and drew me a couple of diagrams of the thyroid, and a diagram illustrating why giving me just T4 ("like many doctors") wouldn't work - to my relief as there were two Synthroid "Thyroid Symptoms" diagrams in the room and I didn't want to have to fight that battle. I asked about natural thyroid treatment and her response was, "of course" and her body language indicated that anything otherwise wasn't even an option. She gave me a prescription for immediate fill (compounded Armour, as she knows about the lack of availability and lower quality/strength of the new Armour) as well as a separate one for Erfa. She was totally happy to oblige with the Erfa and said that she just wants to see me feeling better. She also talked me up a little not only to myself, but to my husband who was in the room with me - I think she likes to help us women feel better about ourselves - she certainly didn't dismiss or diminish any of my feelings or what she perceived my feelings to be (I didn't speak much, but she was right on 110% and as soon as I had a question in my head, she seemed to intuitively know to answer it without my asking - weird). Anyway, the last part wasn't necessary, but it did show that she was truly compassionate (not patronizing at all) and after this rollercoaster of emotions, it brought some unexpected misty-ness to my eyes. My two six year olds were in the room, as well (it was a 3 hour drive each way and didn't have anyone to leave the kids with), and she simply ate.them.up. Was happy to have the whole family there in that tiny room and was happy to thoroughly explain things to the boys and my husband, as well. Major points in my book. It was a surprisingly fast visit, but surprising to me only because she condensed SO much info into such a small timeframe. As short as the appointment was (don't recall the actual time, sorry), we all left feeling confident. My husband and I are happy because she seems to like to keep up with the latest in thyroid care (she said something to indicate this, though I cannot recall exactly what it was) and explicitly asked me to learn as much as I can about this so I can get the best treatment possible.

She didn't do any additional labs today, as mine were fairly recent, but I do have a slip to take to the lab in 6-8 weeks, as well as a thyroid ultrasound ASAP. She also had her nurse give me an EKG (not sure why or what the results were yet).

Oh, and when I mentioned that I was able to lose 20 pounds before getting "stuck," but that I'd been stuck for quite a while, she said, "Oh, hon, you could breath and gain weight with hypothyroidism." She said that she'd prescribe me something to help the next time she sees me if I haven't been successful after starting on the hormones. I'm hoping that it won't come to that, though. Apparently, she and her husband also specialize in diabetes and metabolism issues. I can't say what kind of diabetes treatment is available in their clinic, though, as I do not know.

For the military out there - this doctor IS in the Tricare system.

I swear to God, this doctor crawled into my brain, felt my fears and anticipation and made a point to calm them all. What a relief.

FWIW, she started me on 1 grain, once a day. I have read of many doctors starting at 1/2 grain, but she indicated that she felt it was important to start immediately at 1 grain and work up as necessary. I'm open to feedback on this if anyone has any. I'm also interested to see what further communication with her is going to be like. I'll update as I find out.
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Stephanie! I am so thrilled for you to have a doc that gets it. I hope you get to feeling better real soon!
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Please email me with doc's name and whereabouts (although I'm sure I'll 'know it' when I see it, lol). I'm so glad you had such success!! And I'd be proud to make sure I have that doc's name on my lists.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Could we please clone her? Seriously! So very happy for you.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote