LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gwynhyvar
Stats: 243.8/222.4/130
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: Jan 3, 2011
Good thyroid doc in MN?

Who in MN has a good thyroid doctor who Rx.'s both T4 and T3 and does FT4 and FT3 testing?

Thanks!!!
gwynhyvar is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
I've never been to MN (Stepson and family live there). But...the following list of doctors and practitioners have been passed on to me by patients...so they are 'patient recommended' (not: nonsticpam recommended, lol). Let me know if you see any of the following and what your opinion is please...I like to hear from patients to update my lists:

Dr. Kevin Wand, D.O., Holistic Family Medicine -Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Autism, Midwest Wellness Center, 10564 France Ave. S., Bloomington, MN 55431, 952-942-9303.

Mark Rieb MD, NMD, 16372 Kenrick Avenue, Suite 100, Lakeville, MN 55044, 952-892-6700 (phone), 952-892-9475 (fax).

Kara Parker, General practice/internist/primary care, Holistic/complementary/alternative MD, Hennepin Faculty Associates, Alternative Medicine Clinic, 825 South Eighth Street, Suite 1106, Minneapolis, MN 55404, 612.347.6238

Dr. Michael Dola, Family Practice, Dakota Medical Clinic 3408 Dakota Avenue, St. Louis Park, MN 55416, 952-924-1053, Get to the root of the problem - Dakota Medical Clinic, PA - Dr. Michael Dole, MD

Dr. Thomas Sult, M.D., Family Practice, 100 Second Street South, Sartell, MN, 56377, 320-251-2600, Williams IntegraCare Clinic -- Sartell/St Cloud

Dr. Luciano Kolodny, Endocrinology, Health Partners-Season's Parkway, Woodbury, MN 55125, 952-967-7616,

(The list was made up of T3 rx'ing doctors...some use natural dessicated porcine thyroid and some use JUST Cytomel (synthetic T3) and some like a combo of T4 and T3. But all Rx a form of T3).

Best of luck to you!!

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
Pam, I think I've put this out there before, but:

You may remove Wand, Dola and Reib from your list. I have seen Wand and Dola--they won't even consider discussing Thyroid unless you go through a myriad of other possibilities first, they want you to purchase all kinds of their supplements, are cash basis only, and are TSH worshippers. A friend of mine saw Reib and had the same experience with him, plus said he was a total a$$hat to boot.

gwynhyvar, I am having some luck (I say this very cautiously) with MNCOME, Dr. Kim Turinske, in Eagan, who is looking at my FT's and agreed to treat me but only because they were UNDER the range. The minute they got 1 point into normal, she believed I was "healed". She will dose Cytomel and script for Armour Porcine, so that's a huge plus! She is open to working with you.

I know Redeemed has a dr. at Allina in Northfield who is very responsive to her with FT's and Rxing, you may want to PM her.

Good luck, PM me if you want more info!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Thank you so much Lisa for coming in and giving that information!! Great starting place. (Um..I have trouble 'removing both Dola and Reib from list because I know eight patients of Dola all on Armour over 3 grains and he's doing FT's on THEM, and Reib is also treating six patients I know with both T4 and Cytomel (and the Cytomel is 25mcg. split per day!). ??? So..I still do give them..but your input is GREAT!! So, everyone, be forewarned! (I happen to know all the patients I talk of above, were REFERRED by their endo's and came from OTHER states (four from my state and MY thyroid doctor) and were 'continuing' their treatment plans, not originally diagnosed by those two doctors..sometimes THAT does make a difference.

Pam
Old 02-12-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

This one:
Kara Parker, General practice/internist/primary care, Holistic/complementary/alternative MD, Hennepin Faculty Associates, Alternative Medicine Clinic, 825 South Eighth Street, Suite 1106, Minneapolis, MN 55404, 612.347.6238

Is a partner in the same practice of the MD I am currently seeing. I tried to get in to see her initially but she's not accepting new patients.

Thanks for the info. Will have to make some calls!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:44 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
I see Gretchen Ehresman at Allina Clinic in Northfield. She tests Free T3 and Free T4. She also has written me a script for Thyroid so I can get natural dessicated thyroid from Canada. Dr. Ehresman was the first woman doctor in Northfield and is a wonderful doctor. However, as she states, she is just starting to learn about thyroid testing and treatment. She said if I wanted to be treated by her that she would "work with me" in this area.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I see Gretchen Ehresman at Allina Clinic in Northfield. She tests Free T3 and Free T4. She also has written me a script for Thyroid so I can get natural dessicated thyroid from Canada. Dr. Ehresman was the first woman doctor in Northfield and is a wonderful doctor. However, as she states, she is just starting to learn about thyroid testing and treatment. She said if I wanted to be treated by her that she would "work with me" in this area.
I'd want, personally, to see her.

Pam
Old 02-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I wonder if she'd be willing to work with me if my FT4 and FT3 were just barely in range, seeing as how optimal is much higher, and some docs seem happy if you blip into that "normal" range no matter how low you go.

Northfield's a bit of a drive, so I'd have to make work arrangements. That said, she IS covered by my insurance. I think I need a second opinion...

Thanks!!!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

I was just barely beyond of the normal TSH range when I first approached her for treatment, but she started treating me because of that and my symptoms. I had to ask for the Free T3 and Free T4. When my tests came back with midrange T4 and upper 3/4 range T3, and TSH 0.18 (tsh range 0.34 - 2.50 UIU/mL) she said I had a little too much T3, but if I was feeling better, I could stay on current dose.

If you wanted to see her, I would meet with her and tell her exactly what tests you want and give her a list of the symptoms you are experiencing. There is also a pharmacist in Northfield who she uses for compounding hormone treatment if you need. Don't let the clinic talk you into seeing someone else. Lisa46 was sorry she accepted the referral of the clinic to see another doctor there.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Lisa46
Stats: 164/117/128 -- 5'4"
WOE: LC with balance
Start Date: Recommitted 4-18-06
Quote:
Don't let the clinic talk you into seeing someone else. Lisa46 was sorry she accepted the referral of the clinic to see another doctor there.
For real, Redeemed! Your post almost makes me want to go back and see her. And Allina DOES take insurance, I'd go with her, gwynhyvar! You may have a winner there! Can't even remember the doc I saw, Carlson maybe? He wanted me to cut out gluten, wait 6 weeks, then try more stuff and wouldn't even look at thyroid, and I even had labs to prove that I was BELOW normal. WTH?

Pam, that is very interesting that you have good reports on Dola and Reib! I don't remember you ever saying that before about having 8 patients doing well with them, just that they were on a list.

I had a bad experience with Dola--he just wanted to talk about Candida and order very expensive tests which he wanted me to pay up front for and wanted me to buy over $300.00 worth of supplements. And totally disregarded any thyroid testing, especially FT's. In fact, he tried to give me Selenium for it. I was literally shaking when I walked out of that office.

My Reib input was based on 2nd hand info, so it's nice to know that there is hope there.

I may just find my way back to Northfield to see Ehresman.

Redeemed, sounds like you are donig fabulous--so happy for you!
Lisa46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Initially, I tried to get in touch with Mark Reib, in Lakeville, but could not get a hold of him. The clinic said he is no longer there. Lisa hope you're doing fine. I posted on your journal a while back, but I don't think you were posting much there. Hope you are getting meds and testing working for you. As I said before, I'ts one victory to get the proper diagnosis and another victory to get proper treatment. Recently, I tried bioidentical hormonal cream (progesterone and estradiol), and was so exhausted I could barely stand up. It felt like my legs wouldn't hold me. So today I'm in the process of saliva 4 times a day cortisol testing. If my cortisol is low, it will be another area Dr. Ehresman will need to "work with me" on.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Joyful4
Great thyroid doctor

Hi,

I know I'm a little bit late to add to this forum, but there is a terrific chiropractic doctor (Dr. Kyle Warren - Warren Internal Health) off of 494 & France in Bloomington who treats primarily patients with thyroid conditions. He does such a good job of looking at you as an individual person, not just assuming that you're like everyone else and need the exact same thing that all his other patients need. He does a full blood test - looking at both T3 & T4 along with MANY other things that can contribute to thyroid issues. He really tries to get to the root of your problem! He uses natural methods, but he's not against using hormones if necessary. I've had a wonderful experience with him - I feel better than I have in years!! I think his website is Fatigue, Thyroid Disease, Thyroid, Depression | Minneapolis, MN.
Joyful4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: babykitty
Stats: 140/125 5'7 sm boned
WOE: JUDDD/Fast 5 Lower Carb
Start Date: 7/97
But chiropractors can't prescribe hormones can they?
babykitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
nje
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nje
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa46 View Post
For real, Redeemed! Your post almost makes me want to go back and see her. And Allina DOES take insurance, I'd go with her, gwynhyvar! You may have a winner there! Can't even remember the doc I saw, Carlson maybe? He wanted me to cut out gluten, wait 6 weeks, then try more stuff and wouldn't even look at thyroid, and I even had labs to prove that I was BELOW normal. WTH?

Pam, that is very interesting that you have good reports on Dola and Reib! I don't remember you ever saying that before about having 8 patients doing well with them, just that they were on a list.

I had a bad experience with Dola--he just wanted to talk about Candida and order very expensive tests which he wanted me to pay up front for and wanted me to buy over $300.00 worth of supplements. And totally disregarded any thyroid testing, especially FT's. In fact, he tried to give me Selenium for it. I was literally shaking when I walked out of that office.

My Reib input was based on 2nd hand info, so it's nice to know that there is hope there.

I may just find my way back to Northfield to see Ehresman.

Redeemed, sounds like you are donig fabulous--so happy for you!
I am new here, and I know this discussion is rather old, but I am low thyroid and have my granddaughter (she is 17) living with me and I think she is too. However, I’ve looked for a doctor in Minneapolis and cannot find one. My husband is also low thyroid and every time I get him to a dr to check it out they say he is fine. I took him to Dr. Dole (I don’t remember it being Dola) a few years ago and experienced the same thing you all did – he gave him lots of expensive tests including thyroid but wanted to try some other things on him. He has been shivering with cold and low basil temp for years! Is there any more recent info on doctors that know how to test for low thyroid? I would really appreciate it.
nje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Minnnurse
Looking for MN MD

I see this thread started a long time ago. Are these mds still recommended?
I want to get off syntheroid-crap and on natural dessicated. Anyone in the minneapolis are have a good doctor for that? Thank you!
Minnnurse is offline   Reply With Quote