Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Thyroid (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/)
-   -   Things that inhibit T4 to T3 conversion + some useful thyroid tips (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/657835-things-inhibit-t4-t3-conversion-some-useful-thyroid-tips.html)

GeneaX1 01-22-2010 03:26 PM

Things that inhibit T4 to T3 conversion + some useful thyroid tips

I had an appointment this morning with my NP, and she gave me some SUPER handouts on thyroid disease and what inhibits the T4 to T3 conversion, so I thought I'd share.

Factors That Cause an Inability to Convert T4 to T3

> Nutrient Deficiencies
- Chromium
- Copper
- Iodine
- Iron
- Selenium
- Zinc
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin B12

> Medications
- Beta Blockers
- Birth Control Pills
- Estrogen
- Iodinated Contrast Agents
- Lithium
- Phenytoin
- Steroids
- Theophylline

>Diet
- Cruciferous Vegetables
- Soy

> Other
- Aging
- Alcohol
- Lipoic Acid
- Diabetes
- Fluoride
- Lead
- Mercury
- Obesity
- Pesticides
- Radiation
- Stress
- Surgery

Here is a link for a list of cruciferous veggies. I realized I eat something from this list almost every day, and often more than 1 thing. Sadly, some of these are favorites of mine...

Cruciferous vegetables - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also extremely useful info she gave me:

How To Check The Basal Body Temp (Low temp indicates hypothyroid)
> Menstruating women should take their temperature on days 2-4 of their cycle
> Shake thermometer down at night
> In A.M., take axillary temp before arising for 10 minutes
> Normal axillary temp is 97.8 - 98.2

Suggested Approaches for Autoimmune Thyroid Conditions
> Use enough thyroid hormones to keep TSH between 0 and 1.
> Selenium 200-800 mcg daily
> Gluten-free diet for at least 60 days
> Rectify any iodine deficiency
> Remove aspartame, trans fats, and processed whole foods from diet
> Magnesium
> Treat any underlying infections
> Correct any hormone imbalances, especially DHEA insufficiency and adrenal dysfunction
> Restore proper gut function
> Avoid thyroid glandulars

GME 01-22-2010 07:45 PM

I have read that the veggies are only bad raw. They are some of my faves too.

mimers 01-22-2010 08:10 PM

My nutritionist said the same thing about most of the veggies that are on the list (spinach, broccoli, etc.) that I was eating...she said that as long as they are cooked/steamed, they are fine in "moderation". But to not have them raw.

watcher513 01-22-2010 08:53 PM

Unfortunately I love broccoli salad. I just don't have it very often.

nonstickpam107 01-23-2010 08:20 AM

I eat most the things (veggies, not soy) raw, and use daily steroids, have lots of stress (ha ha, don't we all) and my doc just ups my Armour thyroid to compensate and keep my T3 levels where they should be.

The only thing I don't do is take my calcium RIGHT after my Armour split dosages (I have to take a lot, I have no working parathyroids). Otherwise, I eat all kinds of cruciferous veggies and depend on the doc to titrate my dosage of NDT after seeing my FT4, FT3.

Pam

lisabinil 01-23-2010 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 (Post 13036651)
I eat most the things (veggies, not soy) raw, and use daily steroids, have lots of stress (ha ha, don't we all) and my doc just ups my Armour thyroid to compensate and keep my T3 levels where they should be.

The only thing I don't do is take my calcium RIGHT after my Armour split dosages (I have to take a lot, I have no working parathyroids). Otherwise, I eat all kinds of cruciferous veggies and depend on the doc to titrate my dosage of NDT after seeing my FT4, FT3.

Pam

Same here. :)

nonstickpam107 01-23-2010 08:29 AM

Lisa, I say we 'clone' our doctors and set them up in practices near all our LCF's. LOL

Pam

lisabinil 01-23-2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 (Post 13036690)
Lisa, I say we 'clone' our doctors and set them up in practices near all our LCF's. LOL

Pam

I agree. As far as eating is concerned he says use your common sense and elimate the overprocessed "white" from your diet. The only supp he recommended for me was ashwaganda as I was so fatigued and miserable from the combo of hypo/Vit D deficiency and then he advised to just try it for awhile and see how it worked for me. He took the time to look over my vits/supps I take and agreed that they looked fine for me. He firmly reiterates that thyroid disorders while they have commom symptoms in most people are hard to treat because we are all metabolically different and docs don't have or take the time to study a patients case. He said there is really a lack of endos and his schedule is totally crazy and demanding and he really appreciated I took the time to be proactive in my health care and had my medical records transferred to his office and the paperwork where I tracked my illnesses, eating, weight loss/gains & vit/supps over time. I really feel for the peeps here who post about crappy advise and treatment from their docs and hope they find help. :)

Leo41 01-23-2010 10:41 AM

lisabinil-

I totally agree! Perhaps because it took me about 5 years to get a diagnosis (listening to my primary when I should have been doing my own research), I've always been pro-active about my care.

I have confidence in my endo, but he's sometimes missed something on my blood work that I point out because, as you mention, even the good doctors are pressured by time (the insurance companies make sure that if they want to make a living, they have to spend about 3 min. per patient!).

The reason that I like my guy is that he's open to my suggestions and appreciates the fact that I am pro-active. He answers questions, etc.

Given the poor quality of thyroid care in general, every patient needs to be pro-active about his/her medical care.

lisabinil 01-23-2010 10:54 AM

I agree and hope my endo doesn't get sick or have a heart attack from overwork! He was complaining he hasn't been eating as well as he should because of his crazy schedule and has to change some things. :laugh:

mimers 01-23-2010 12:46 PM

Very interesting about the eating of the veggies on that "naughty list" for hypos and having your dose upped accordingly. This is the 2nd time I have heard that and I think I may give it a try. I too love raw broccoli salad (used to have it all the time) and also spinach salad. i've missed them and plan to start having them again since I"m titrating my dose "upwards" and miss that good eating of raw veggies! Thanks for "validation" that we can eat healthy and still be healthy by watching how it affects us and alter our dosage as needed.

nonstickpam107 01-23-2010 09:59 PM

I had a very good thyroid doctor (who happens to be an endocrinologist, but not like any I'd seen before him, lol). And now I've run into a 'family doctor' who works WITH me...and listens to me, and even tells me I've 'taught' him so very much! He now does FT's on his patients, and looks for high cholesterol, and high BP to be part of the 'symptoms' of thyroid disease. He's really getting 'savvy' on the disease...and does the necessary tests, and KNOWS how to interpret them now. I've mentioned him to lots of women and they are very satisfied with his care (not to mention he doesn't cost as much as an endo). That's not to say that he won't refer a patient with 'complications' ...but he's certainlly taken on many as patients who WERE on low dose T4 only, and either added Cytomel if needed, or switched them to NDT.

Pam

organic_donna 01-24-2010 06:17 AM

I have a friend on Armour. She was feeling awful until she went on a Gluten free diet and now all her symptoms are gone.

EcoSavvyMama 05-08-2013 11:52 AM

Thank you for posting this list;)

krempy 05-10-2013 09:20 AM

great reminder!
also under nutrient deficiency I think that progesterone should considered...low progesterone often mimics low thyroid/hypothyroidism. I didn't know that until my doc started testing my hormone levels and now I take Progest-E for 2 weeks before my period...I think it's helping :)

EcoSavvyMama 05-13-2013 02:00 PM

What is Progest E?

low progesterone often mimics low thyroid/hypothyroidism. I didn't know that until my doc started testing my hormone levels and now I take Progest-E for 2 weeks before my period

What is progest-E and is it OTC because my ND says my progesterone is low but waiting on further testing?

tcayuela 05-28-2013 12:01 PM

Selenium & Iodine??

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently working on clearing my reveres T3 which I had a ratio of 8.4. I was also put on iodine and 400mgs of selenium.

I've read and heard differing opinions on this. I've heard that selenium helps/prevents T4 from converting to T3...which is it? Also, is selenium going to negatively affect my clearing of Reverse T3? I've heard it should help.

I'm not Hashis so I don't see how taking iodine would cause problems. Most of what I've read says it prevents many cancers, etc. and is great for you. I take a small dose daily.

Any thoughts or opinions??

Thanks,
Tammy

tcayuela 05-28-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcayuela (Post 16443852)
Hi Everyone,

I'm currently working on clearing my reveres T3 which I had a ratio of 8.4. I was also put on iodine and 400mgs of selenium.

I've read and heard differing opinions on this. I've heard that selenium helps/prevents T4 from converting to T3...which is it? Also, is selenium going to negatively affect my clearing of Reverse T3? I've heard it should help.

I'm not Hashis so I don't see how taking iodine would cause problems. Most of what I've read says it prevents many cancers, etc. and is great for you. I take a small dose daily.

Any thoughts or opinions??

Thanks,
Tammy

Sorry everyone...I meant to start a new thread. :(