LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #61
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hashi's Musician
WOE: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Mostly Sugar & Yeast Free
Start Date: April 24, 2012
I found out about which labs to get and how to interpret them in a book called:

Stop The Thyroid Madness

They have Facebook forums and a web page also. So, the information is free there, just like here.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Hashi's Musician; 08-01-2012 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: remove link
Hashi's Musician is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #62
Junior LCF Member

I just realized that this thread is a couple of years old. Sorry, brain fog! Would those of you that see Dr. Valenti still recommend him? I live in Eastern Prince William County. I would love to find someone closer, that participates with my insurance and will write scripts so that I can go get my labs through my own insurance.

I am currently unemployed and waiting for COBRA to come through, retroactive to the 1st of July. I cannot afford out of network doctors, especially one that insists on in house labs and wants to "hold me hostage" to lab numbers.

I have read that Natural Dessicated Thyroid (NDT) can be used to support the adrenals if you split the doses during the day. It varies for everybody. I am taking Ashwaganda and DGL (the latter being for my stomach, but I have read that it supports the adrenals, as well.) I hope to find a doctor that will be "on board" with me increasing my NDT dose (every 2 weeks or less) and take labs to see how it is doing. If I want T3, I would hope the doctor would agree to prescribe that through a compounding pharmacy that would separate it out from the NDT. I have read things that concern me about synthetic T3. With my Hashimoto's, my immune system is compromised enough already.

Last edited by Hashi's Musician; 08-01-2012 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: spelling, clarity
Old 08-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Dr. Terlinsky was far too expensive for me. At least $1,900 for the first visit (they told me insurance would not pay for the "functional" portion of the visit)! That does not include whatever insurance charges for a physical. Then $300 per hour for "functional" consultations at follow up visits. At least they would send the labs to insurance (through LabCorp).

That would be a last resort for me and, again, being unemployed, I cannot afford that.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #64
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Matrigna
Stats: 210/145/110
WOE: Primal-ish (WLS 11/29/13)
I see Dr Firoozeh Shahidi in Falls Church, VA. I found her on thyroid-info best endocrinologists by state list after I had to stop seeing Dr. Kate Lemmerman (I stopped seeing Dr. Lemmerman because she did not accept insurance and it was costing me thousands of dollars per MONTH... it was crazy and then, one week, they suddenly dropped me because I had a $300 balance on my account past due by 5 days). I've been Dr Shahidi's patient for over one year now. She is the one who actually found and diagnosed my thyroid cancer on my very first visit. I have hashimoto's (which actually was in the toxicosis stage.... also discovered on my first visit with Shahidi), am hypothyroid, and I take Armour, prescribed by her. I've changed insurance a couple of times but, so far, she's accepted each one. I really like her as a doctor. I have been through a lot of endocrinologists! Hope that helps! =)

"Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal."
Matrigna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Thank you, Matrigna. I will look into that doctor, as well. Would she be OK with someone raising their doses to optimize their thyroid medication? Does she run the tests that you want run? How much time does she spend with you per visit? A half hour to an hour?

Is she OK with NP Thyroid by Acella? Extra T3 if necessary? Using mail order compounding pharmacies?

I am still hoping to find someone in Eastern Prince William County.

I tend to avoid Endocrinologists, as I have not found an open minded one yet. Dr. Terlinsky may be the exception, but he is, again, too expensive for me at the moment.

Does she run these tests?
Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, TPO, TgAB (and perhaps even TSI)
Adrenal Saliva Cortisol tests (4 to 6 throughout a day)
Ferritin, Serum Iron, TIBC, % Saturation
Vitamin B12 and Folate
Vitamin D3
Sex Hormone lab(s)

Last edited by Hashi's Musician; 08-01-2012 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Clarification and to expand
Old 08-02-2012, 04:45 AM   #66
Major LCF Poster!

She *should* be. Every time I have gone to her with concerns about my meds, she's been willing to tweak and do what I want, or give advice on my options.

She is always agreeable with me about trying new things in my treatment, and she seems very proactive with tests. For example, I asked her about my leptin, and she immediately ordered labs and spent a lot of time talking to me about it and discussing options, before and after the labs.

I'm not sure aout Acella, extra T3, or compounding.

She has given me all of the tests you list, in the past.... I think... I'm not sure about the TIBC?
Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #67
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: carolinagirl1316
Suggestions for Arlington Doctors

I know this is an old thread, but I am looking for some feedback. I have already had one bad experience with a supposed thyroid doctor in Arlington, VA and would like to not waste my time and money. I have Coventry insurance which is not accepted by Valenti, Hurlock, Hart, or Lemmerman. One of my co-workers suggested Suzanne Rogacz, but I am interested in seeing someone who is willing to look at alternatives and not just Synthroid.

Has anyone seen Denise Armellini, Michael Redding, or Albert Coo -- and if so, would you recommend??

I would appreciate any, and all assistance.
carolinagirl1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:56 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl1316 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I am looking for some feedback. I have already had one bad experience with a supposed thyroid doctor in Arlington, VA and would like to not waste my time and money. I have Coventry insurance which is not accepted by Valenti, Hurlock, Hart, or Lemmerman. One of my co-workers suggested Suzanne Rogacz, but I am interested in seeing someone who is willing to look at alternatives and not just Synthroid.

Has anyone seen Denise Armellini, Michael Redding, or Albert Coo -- and if so, would you recommend??

I would appreciate any, and all assistance.
I know it's not Arlington, but I still see Dr. Shahidi in Falls Church. I'm not sure if she accepts your insurance but I have switched mine a lot and, so far, she has accepted each one. She fits what you're looking for, as far as willing to listen, take time to answer, and discuss/prescribe alternatives. Her staff is frustrating but she's great.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #69
RSB
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RSB
got hashimoto as the result of mold

I have been from doc to doc these last two years and I am becoming very desperate. Something is wrong with my brain now, I feel like needles in my head. Any recomendations for a doctor who really knows thyroid as well as detox and other auto-immune diseases caused by mold? Please help someone! doctors haven't
RSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #70
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Perhaps you need to find a nuerologist for the brain issues.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote