Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 05:30 AM   #31
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Way too agressive with the dosage. i wouldn't want to be you in a couple of weeks.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pittardm
Thanks for input

But where can I find a doctor who deals with RT3? Or adrenals? I picked Dr. Hurlock, because she seemed to be highly recommended and experienced with thyroid. And she herself is hypo.

She has me monitoring my pulse, and if hyper symptoms arise, I am supposed to call her. I go back to see her in November.

I am still feeling very tired. Blood pressure is on the low-ish side of normal, and pulse is in the 80s. Temp is still about 97.5 degrees all day (not basal).

I'm totally open to seeing another doctor if one is recommended.

Thanks,
Melissa
pittardm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:34 PM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sc3231
Hi all,

I'm new to the group...wanted to follow up on the question of whether anyone has discussed adrenal fatigue with Dr. Valenti. I just made an appointment with him, but can't get in to see him until the end of the month.

thanks!
Sam
sc3231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:50 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
Melissa....read as much as you can about adrenals (James Wilson's book "Adrenal Fatigue" is only $14.95 I think) and the RT3 sticky at the top or the yahoo.rt3 forum (like this one for thyroid) is a good way to learn as well.

I had to print off articles and take them to my nurse practitioner.....and then when the RT3 situation came up, she backed off and I had to find someone open minded to help me. Those docs are usually alternative healing, longevity types, or naturopaths, DO's. Mosts "doctors/endos" don't think that RT3 exists. Let me tell you (and others will agree) that it does.

Google Dr.'s Holtorf and Lowe....they are big on T3 supplementation for RT3 and for energy/good health.

Do you reasearch, print things off, and go back to the doc armed with info!!! She will probably have big eyes and wonder if it will help her too!!! (Or find someone else like I did). Just for info...my NP that "fired me" for the RT3 thing is now VERY interested and is treating a NEW patient based on the research I gave her!!!! I should charge her!!! :-)
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: pittardm
RT3 docs

I've read a ton. I've paid thousands at this point. No, Dr. Hurlock has been doing this too long to learn anything. She was given all of my labs. I asked about RT3, and she just doesn't believe in treating it. And, sure, I could have paid her $600 and walked away. But, given her experience, how rotten I feel, and how much money I don't have at this point, I thought I'd give her approach a try. Dr. Donna Hurlock, Gynecologist, NAMS Certified Menopause Practitioner - Home page

Thank you for names. Will look them up.

M :-)
pittardm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimers
Stats: 160/139/130
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: October 2010
This is a direct "cut and paste" from Dr. Hurlock's website:

A Note from Dr. Hurlock
(As posted in the “Top Docs” section of Thyroid Disease Information - Hypothyroidism - Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Cancer - Autoimmune Disease - Hashimoto's - Graves' - Goiter - Nodules)

I’ve been treating hypothyroidism clinically for about 12 years and during that time have treated thousands of patients, many of whom have been suffering for years and even decades. My general approach is to treat the patient until they are well. Seems simple, but the standard approach only treats until the lab test is “well”. I use clinical signs and symptoms to guide therapy. I’ve found that the lab tests really don’t measure function of thyroid, so clinical factors are much more important. As for what products I use, I use them all, and if one does not work, I’ll use something else. My biggest thrill is when the patient comes in on the perfect dose, all her symptoms are resolved and she’s healthier than she has been for years! Many of my patients are able to get off lots of other meds because they no longer need them, and most of those who need to lose weight, begin to do so once the best dose is found.>>

Doesn't sound like she is practicing what she "preaches" then! She doesn't believe in treating part of thyroid issues? Time for a new doc. Believe me, many of us have spent $thousands and have had to walk away. This is nothing new for most of us.

Glad you'll read more from the Holtorf and Lowe websites. A wealth of information and answers.
mimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:26 PM   #37
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Geegee123
Need your help, please

Saw this post and was so excited to be a step closer to finding the answer to my issue. Where do you go to obtain the bio-identical porcine thyroid? How is this different from Armour? Thanks very much for any insight you can provide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfuser View Post
I live in NOVA and have seen almost every endo in the area. I would not go back to any of them. Dr. Kate Lemmerman is supposed to be the top thyroid doc in the area, but takes no insurance. I saw her for two years and loved her until she moved to a practice too far for me to get to easily. Right now I see Dr. John P. Valenti, an Internist with an interest in Thyroid. He has been super. He is the first doc I have been to who listens, runs all the tests I ask him to, and was willing to allow me to optimize my thyroid meds. He is located in Reston,VA. Dr. Valenti takes insurance. He also helped me to find the right thyroid replacement hormone for me. We tried Armour, worked well until reformulation problems, Nature-thyroid, Cytomel, Synthroid, and finally bio-identical porcine thyroid, the winner!
Geegee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jorose
Anymore feedback on Dr. Valenti? Wondering if he addresses adrenals/reproductive hormones, does BHRT etc.
Jorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:35 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorose View Post
Anymore feedback on Dr. Valenti? Wondering if he addresses adrenals/reproductive hormones, does BHRT etc.
Will be going to see him in June, hoping to be impressed. Looking to start taking Nature- throid for now as synthroid/liothyronine mix is not doing the trick for me. Still feeling fuzzy, brain foggy. Any advice?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Advice
Make sure he tests all of these:
FT3
FT4
TSH
RT3
B12
VitD
Iron
Ferritin
and I HOPE he tests adrenals (not just the AM cortisol test) and reproductive hormones!
Please post after your appointment to let us know how it went!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:03 AM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geegee123 View Post
Will be going to see him in June, hoping to be impressed. Looking to start taking Nature- throid for now as synthroid/liothyronine mix is not doing the trick for me. Still feeling fuzzy, brain foggy. Any advice?

Wondering what your thyroid lab results look like (with ranges).
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 03:24 AM   #42
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Wondering what your thyroid lab results look like (with ranges).
Just did some labs (my "old" dr believes in testing TSH and FREE T4 only) so here they are: TSH=0.82 mlU/ml and FT4=1.01 ng/dl and everything "looks good" according to him, which I guess is true - it "looks" good, but how it "feels", well that's another story. That's all I have for now - hopefully when I see Dr. V I will have a lot more.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:27 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Just did some labs (my "old" dr believes in testing TSH and FREE T4 only) so here they are: TSH=0.82 mlU/ml and FT4=1.01 ng/dl and everything "looks good" according to him, which I guess is true - it "looks" good, but how it "feels", well that's another story. That's all I have for now - hopefully when I see Dr. V I will have a lot more.
oh, and ranges he uses are:
TSH 0.50-6.0 and FT4 0.75-1.54
Old 05-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

You need to have that FT3 tested, along with all the others above. Hopefully Dr. Valenti will do all of them. If he does, and will rx more than 2 grains of NT if needed, he's a keeper!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:42 AM   #45
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
there was NO free t3 so , not, that doesnt 'look' good. It looks INCOMPLETE and would tell us naught.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:35 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
there was NO free t3 so , not, that doesnt 'look' good. It looks INCOMPLETE and would tell us naught.
Thanks jorose and inatic for your advice - I will ask for all the tests and report back when I know more. Cheers!
Old 05-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gym_mom
There is another doc in NOVA - Dr. Dave Stewart. He doesn't take ins for visit check-up but your labs will be covered by Ins and you just have to shell out co-pay

LHHP Services

He does comprehensive test. All mentioned here plus vitamin-minral (thr SpectraCell I think). He is the one who had listen to me being tired all the time etc. and diagnosed with Hypo/Hashi BUT I moved from there so don't have more feedback on him for longer treatments. He does listen to patients though.
gym_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Reporting back - Dr. V

Quote:
Thanks jorose and inatic for your advice - I will ask for all the tests and report back when I know more. Cheers!
Dr V is super! Listened, did all the tests. Here's is the scoop:

T4 (0.7; 0.8-1.8) and TSH (4.63; 0.40-4.50) are out of range, so I am hypo;
Vit D is low;
Cholesterol is a bit out of range (never had this problem before, I watch what I eat and am amping up my activity level although being a mom to a tiny tot I feel like I am running around all the time )

I am thinking once I take care of hypo and Vit D, this will get better too.

All other tests were fine.

Hope this helps, have a healthy and happy day!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #49

What is the treatment? Meds?

The cholesterol should come down when optimized.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
What is the treatment? Meds?

The cholesterol should come down when optimized.
Raised by 1/4 grain of Nature- throid, now up to 1.5 grains. Vit D prescribed at 50,000 units once a week ( ergocalciferol 1.25 mg) for a month. Also ok'd to take evening primrose ( helps with hair loss and it looks like it really does!).
Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #51

WHere's the FREE T3 test???

Be mindful that evening primrose oil can bind thyroid hormones.

I'd have raised the thyroid meds higher......but maybe he's waiting to see if the Vit D has some effect? 1/4 grain likely wont have much effect.....

retesting when?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

I'd have raised the thyroid meds higher......but maybe he's waiting to see if the Vit D has some effect? 1/4 grain likely wont have much effect.....

retesting when?
FT3 is 2.3 pg/mL (2.3-4.2)
RT3 is 20 ng/dL 11-32

Re-testing in about 6 weeks.

I take the evening primrose oil at night, 10-12 hrs after the thyroid med thinking that by then the body should fully absorb the hormones - do you think that it still may be a binding issue?

I take my daily vitamins at night for the same reason.

By the way, I read in Mary Shomon's book that one should not take the thyroid hormone on the day of blood tests until AFTER the testing is complete - apparently then it truly shows if you have enough thyroid hormones in your body. Do you do the same?

Also, do you know if hypothyroidism can cause light chest tightness/pressure? I started feeling it shortly after I started on Nature-throid. It's bearable, but since I feel it often I was just wondering if it's the medicine or the fact I don't have enough of it yet.

Thanks very much for your replies!
Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Quote:

retesting when?
And one more question - what and how much do you take? Thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #54

Quote:
FT3 is 2.3 pg/mL (2.3-4.2)
RT3 is 20 ng/dL 11-32

Re-testing in about 6 weeks.

I take the evening primrose oil at night, 10-12 hrs after the thyroid med thinking that by then the body should fully absorb the hormones - do you think that it still may be a binding issue?

I take my daily vitamins at night for the same reason.

By the way, I read in Mary Shomon's book that one should not take the thyroid hormone on the day of blood tests until AFTER the testing is complete - apparently then it truly shows if you have enough thyroid hormones in your body. Do you do the same?

Also, do you know if hypothyroidism can cause light chest tightness/pressure? I started feeling it shortly after I started on Nature-throid. It's bearable, but since I feel it often I was just wondering if it's the medicine or the fact I don't have enough of it yet.

Thanks very much for your replies!
you need to discuss the chest discomfort with your dr.. it could be under medication but im not qualified to make ANY judgements.

There are mixed thoughts on testing with med or without. It might help to see where your body is at with meds (5-6hrs from last dose) even if you have to do health check on your own.. the results go to you.

Quote:
And one more question - what and how much do you take? Thanks!
how much i take is irrelevant as ea dose is personalized to ea individual. I use NP Thyroid by Acella currently.

Last edited by inatic; 06-19-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

YAY!! So glad to hear Dr. Valenti did the right testing, that's half the battle so good deal! Same thing as Ileen said, I'd call him about the chest discomfort, could totally be from being under medicated (your FT3 is awful and that TSH should be 1 or below) but you want to make sure. Heart palps are common during dose increases, they tend to wear off after a few days...call him though about the chest discomfort. Re-testing in 6 weeks is correct. Keep us posted, if this guy is really that good, he's going to get some calls from folks in DC/MD/VA! Btw, in the old days high cholesterol was one of the ways docs diagnosed hypo.

Last edited by Jorose; 06-19-2011 at 05:03 PM..
Old 07-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Bumping this for Maryland Doc - Valenti seems to be a good choice in Reston Va. Good location for Md/DC/Va. patients.

From Bfuser prior in the thread here:
As a thyroid patient advocate, I feel I need to reiterate that I have personally been to or know of from other thyroid patients here in NOVA every endo in the area. I would once again highly recommend Dr. John P. Vallenti, Reston Internal Medical Assoc, and Dr. Kate Lemmerman in Alexandria. Dr. Hart in Ashburn is excellent as well. Those are the top three thyroid docs in this area, and the ones that there is a local consensus about being the best. The one area and its thyroid docs I know well is Northern Virginia. I am a life long resident and thyroid patient here for the past 30 years.

Last edited by Jorose; 07-27-2011 at 10:35 PM..
Old 09-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: limeade
Dear Pittardm,

I just happened to come across your post of, yes, a year ago and felt compelled to reply. The issues that you have are almost a carbon copy of mine. I was on a quest to discover what the cause was to create such havoc in my body, and after four years of searching, I discovered that I had Chronic Lyme Disease, which I probably acquired as a young child but was never diagnosed. I strongly advise you to have this checked out by a LLMD (Lyme Literate Medical Doctor). Mainstream physicians might not be savvy enough to detect it with conventional methods. Unfortunately, many LLMDs do not take insurance, but it's your health, your life, and you're worth the investment. I suggest Dr. Samuel M. Shor in Reston, VA. He gave me back my life. He's been written up as one of the Washingtonian's Best Doctors for several years, and is currently on the Governor's Lyme Disease Task Force. You won't regret it. Good luck!
limeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #58
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lah41274
What about this doctor?

She's listed on the Top Thyroid Doc site, has decent reviews online, and accepts my insurance. Does anybody know anything about her?

Nahrain H. Al-Zubaidi , MD
Fairfax, VA
lah41274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #59

try calling some compounding pharms in the fairfax area and see if they recommend?
Old 08-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #60
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hashi's Musician
WOE: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Mostly Sugar & Yeast Free
Start Date: April 24, 2012
MCT,

I went to Zachary Kaye once and only once. I fired him in my head about 10 times in the first 5 minutes. He actually thought that one of the things that Natural Desiccated Thyroid (NDT) was made out of other than pigs was from sheep. I did not bother to correct him that it is made out of either pigs or cows these days.

He thought that all I needed was T4, IF I even needed it. When I asked about T3, he repeated "All you need is T4, IF you even need it." He did not think that I needed an adrenal saliva cortisol test, either. The only thing I utilized him for was a script for a sonogram guided thyroid biopsy, otherwise called a Thyroid FNA (Fine Needle Aspiration), because he thought that my labs indicated that my thyroid was "functioning normally". Even though the pathologist said I had not just an enlarged thyroid and one nodule, but that I had three nodules and confirmed Hashimoto's, Kaye still insisted that my thyroid was "functioning normally". The pathologist and doctor did not write Hashimoto's on the lab report.

Turns out that when I went to another doctor, my labs indicated that my cortisol levels are low throughout the day, then high at night. Cortisol, iron and sex hormones will wreck havoc with NDT working well, from what I've read.

Do NOT go to Kaye, as he will not run the proper labs either, to the best of my knowledge. I was asking for:
TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, TPO, TgAB

I am trying to get a TSI test, as well, for no other reason than that some people with Hashimoto's also have Graves'. I may have to get some of the tests on my own.

If I recall correctly, he thought the following were sufficient (they are ALL useless):
TSH, Total T3, Total T4
Hashi's Musician is offline   Reply With Quote