LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: RenoMom
Stats: 300/294/199
WOE: JUDDD started 300
Start Date: 4/29/13
Hypothyroid and exercise

I have heard that it is not good to do a lot of cardio with Hypo, is this true?

Also what does it mean that my resting pulse now is only 54 or so, does this have an effect on the way I should exercise?

Any help would be appreciated.
RenoMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2009, 10:56 AM   #2
LJB
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LJB
Stats: Size 8 at Present
WOE: Real food.
I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. My doctors say exercise/eating right (with the guidelines given to me) is just the right thing for me!
LJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Depends on how 'optimized' you are. If both your Free T4 and Free T3 tests are coming back as optimum (meaning FT4 should be about midway of it's lab range and your FT3 should be quite higher, most at 2/3 to 3/4 of it's range) and you are either getting BOTH T4 AND T3 (synthetic combo or a natural porcine replacement hormone) than you will be able to do both cardio and lifting.

If you are only getting T4 synthetic hormone and you are not converting enough of it to T3 (T3 is the 'energy' part of thyroid hormone...libido, nice hair and skin, lots of energy, etc. Most of us with Hashimoto's or with docs who ONLY do TSH and T4 tests don't know if we are converting, and most of us don't convert at ALL...it's WHY we need to add T3 to T4 OR switch out to enough natural porcine replacement to make us 'whole' again...the TSH test just shows what the pituitary is 'telling' the thyroid to do...if you have Hashi's, or your thyroid doesn't WORK...than it's not listening to the pituitary anyway.

So...a very low resting pulse and low BP usually signal hypothyroidism and if you aren't getting enough thyroid replacement you're STILL hypothyroid...if and when you are getting enough, you are called 'euthyroid' meaning 'stable and normal'.

Women and men who also have poor adrenals shouldn't do a lot of cardio, and patients who aren't well medicated/replaced probably don't have the energy for it.

But we know women bodybuilders/figure models who do lots of cardio and lift heavy. I, personally don't do a lot of cardio because of having lung autoimmune disease...but I lift weights as heavy as I can three times a week, and am on my feet no less than 8 hours a day...walking/running, never standing in one place. I'm well medicated (FT4 is about midway of my lab range, FT3 is nice at 3/4 of it's lab range and TSH is around a .30).

I cannot function on T4 synthetic only. Doesn't work for me...I'd be in bed all day and not able to exercise or do my profession.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
LJB

Quote:
So...a very low resting pulse and low BP usually signal hypothyroidism and if you aren't getting enough thyroid replacement you're STILL hypothyroid
That's me! Ugh! I am not as yet taking medication, either.

My trainer said 20 minutes of HIIT 5 to 6 days a week and weight training 4 days a week is fine without overkill. (She's been researching everything thyroid for the last week or so!) And I need to eat the right food and amounts during the day otherwise I'll raid the kitchen even after eating dinner!

Last edited by LJB; 12-29-2009 at 11:22 AM..
Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #5

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJR View Post
That's me! Ugh! I am not as yet taking medication, either.

My trainer said 20 minutes of HIIT 5 to 6 days a week and weight training 4 days a week is fine without overkill. (She's been researching everything thyroid for the last week or so!) And I need to eat the right food and amounts during the day otherwise I'll raid the kitchen even after eating dinner!

I am hypothyroid and I have hashi's and i've lost about 60lbs at my leanest wt(avi not my leanest wt) . I can tell you when i was UNmedicated, i near killed myself training intensely and doing too much cardio. My poor adrenals took a nose dive. In additon, fat loss was sssssssooooo slow and i got little results. Medicated, a whole nuther ball game! That put me fair playing field.

Your trainer doesnt sound like she is well versed in hormone problems and she is WAY over training and cardio'ing you in your current situation ('sick' as that is too much even for the healthiest of people.

Good grief, i hope you are not doing HIIT (true version of hiit) that often! What are you/she calling hiit? , if dont properly , it should not be done more then 2-3 times a week MAX.. and done within a well thought out program that limits leg training. When are you legs going to rest/recover??

im curious what your training plan is like? and what does she recommend you eat?
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #6

An article from my coach who is definitely not a fan of too much ardio.
How Much Cardio? | Q&A | Lean Bodies Consulting

http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/faq/...+While+Dieting

more info at the bottom of ea of these articles.

Last edited by inatic; 12-29-2009 at 12:44 PM..
Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
LJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
I am hypothyroid and I have hashi's and i've lost about 60lbs at my leanest wt(avi not my leanest wt) . I can tell you when i was UNmedicated, i near killed myself training intensely and doing too much cardio. My poor adrenals took a nose dive. In additon, fat loss was sssssssooooo slow and i got little results. Medicated, a whole nuther ball game! That put me fair playing field.

Your trainer doesnt sound like she is well versed in hormone problems and she is WAY over training and cardio'ing you in your current situation ('sick' as that is too much even for the healthiest of people.

Good grief, i hope you are not doing HIIT (true version of hiit) that often! What are you/she calling hiit? , if dont properly , it should not be done more then 2-3 times a week MAX.. and done within a well thought out program that limits leg training. When are you legs going to rest/recover??

im curious what your training plan is like? and what does she recommend you eat?
Elliptical for 20 minutes or Treadmill for 15 with 5 minutes of rowing machine or bike. Weight training: Chest/Cardio on Mondays, Cardio only on Tuesdays, Triceps, Biceps/Cardio on Wednesday, I can do cardio only on Thursdays and Fridays if I choose and then do legs on Saturday or Sunday.

Eating: High fat, moderate protein, complex carbs.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #8

what are you doing in those 15min.. moderate intervals or Intense work rest intervals to exhaust? no back training?

Last edited by inatic; 12-29-2009 at 01:42 PM..
Old 12-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #9
LJB

Quote:
what are you doing in those 15min.. moderate intervals or Intense work rest intervals to exhaust?
Moderate on days when I weight train. Intense on days I don't.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:51 PM   #10
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well. Um. I've been 'researching' everything hypothyroid for over 23 years. Had five family members die with varying degrees of autoimmune hypothyroidism (that's the most common type). So..this trainer been researching for a whole WEEK? Wow. (Sorry, I'm sitting here just stunned. Stunned. That doesn't happen to me very often).

ETA: perhaps you shouldn't relay any of the trainer's info till the trainer researches for a couple more weeks. Or take the trainers research into effect till you do some research of your own. I'm less stunned now...I'm just plain afraid.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 12-29-2009 at 01:53 PM..
Old 12-29-2009, 01:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Moderate on days when I weight train. Intense on days I don't.
are you at goal or dieting?
Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
LJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Well. Um. I've been 'researching' everything hypothyroid for over 23 years. Had five family members die with varying degrees of autoimmune hypothyroidism (that's the most common type). So..this trainer been researching for a whole WEEK? Wow. (Sorry, I'm sitting here just stunned. Stunned. That doesn't happen to me very often).

Pam
I know. She's been working with me for so long and we could not figure out what the heck was wrong with me eating wise. A tweak here, a tweak there...and no results. Parts of me are developing nicely with the exercise regime but all I crave is salt and salty foods.

It isn't her fault. We're trying to do the best we can at this point
Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
Thyroid Patient Advocate

And what doctor diagnosed you with hypothyroidism and what type do you have and why are you unmedicated if you've been diagnosed? Goodness, don't mean to be nosy, but you need to realize this is something I saw my own Mother DIE (slowly, lingering) from untreated!

Pam
Old 12-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
LJB

Quote:
are you at goal or dieting?
I've gained almost 25lbs. over the past year. And I want to slim down again.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #15

Quote:
I know. She's been working with me for so long and we could not figure out what the heck was wrong with me eating wise. A tweak here, a tweak there...and no results. Parts of me are developing nicely with the exercise regime but all I crave is salt and salty foods.

It isn't her fault. We're trying to do the best we can at this point
do you salt your foods? craving salt is adrenals. My coach makes us LIBERALLY salt our food all day long.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #16
LJB

Quote:
do you salt your foods? craving salt is adrenals. My coach makes us LIBERALLY salt our food all day long.
Originally, they thought (the docs) I had adrenal fatigue and if I did use salt it would be sparingly or not at all.

I used Sea Salt once in a while.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:02 PM   #17
LJB

Ironically, when I stopped drinking for a month I gained weight! Go figure that one out!
Old 12-29-2009, 02:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Ironically, when I stopped drinking for a month I gained weight! Go figure that one out!
drinking alcohol?

salt and water go hand in hand here.. it's a feed back loop. And you might not have full blown adrenal issues but likey they are fatigues.

Did they do a 4x a day saliva test to determine where your adrenals are?

let me find my coach's article.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #19
Big Yapper!!!!

WOW guys very informative. Pam Thank You. Yep my Dr only treats the T$ I spoke to him about cytomel etc and he said there is yet to be proof that it help and that its an expensive drug. Honestly I am doing all this without insurance (Its a discount health plan) I am taking 112mcg of Synthroid and I do feel a lot better. Not so tired all the time, more normal. I have not had blood work in awhile (about 16 weeks, we were going every 6 to 8) Right now I am saving up for another ultrasound on my Thyroid to make sure there is no more cancer (nodules) to be found.

We got the Wii for Christmas and i want to pick up the Wii fit plus tomorrow. I figured I would start there with exercise. I need something, and I really hate to work out.

" Give God what's right, not what's left"
Old 12-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #20

OMG i'd DIE without cytomel (at the time) now ERFA which replaced my amour that is in major short supply.

someone ought to rip his thyroid out and give HIM just T4!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #21
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoMom View Post
WOW guys very informative. Pam Thank You. Yep my Dr only treats the T$ I spoke to him about cytomel etc and he said there is yet to be proof that it help and that its an expensive drug. Honestly I am doing all this without insurance (Its a discount health plan) I am taking 112mcg of Synthroid and I do feel a lot better. Not so tired all the time, more normal. I have not had blood work in awhile (about 16 weeks, we were going every 6 to 8) Right now I am saving up for another ultrasound on my Thyroid to make sure there is no more cancer (nodules) to be found.

We got the Wii for Christmas and i want to pick up the Wii fit plus tomorrow. I figured I would start there with exercise. I need something, and I really hate to work out.
It is a KNOWN fact that thryoid cancer returns if the patient isn't COMPLETELY suppressed. And how do we completely suppress? By giving BOTH T4 AND T3. So..um...there's a lot of proof that if thyroid cancer returns because the physician doesn't suppress the patient that lawsuits work really well in patient's favor (sorry couldn't resist!!!). Perhaps you should point that out.

Expensive? Well, 5mg. twice a day of generic Cytomel costs about 22 bucks a month. Can you not afford that? OMG..tell him if he'll give you the Rx. Hail..I'll PAY for it for YOU if you cannot afford that! And generic Synthroid (Levoxyl, levothyroxine generic) costs around 14 dollars a month for that amount. Jeez...so it's gonna be ok with Doc Cheapo if ya get cancer again? This kind of stuff makes me sick to my stomach. I say we sign Doc Cheapo up for a thyroidectomy with a secondary operation to make him a eunuch.

Pam
Old 12-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #22
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I hope you all forgive me...I've just lost another good friend this past month. And it didn't have to happen. She listened to her doctor because he wore a white coat and played 'Doctor God' with her. And was opinionated and told her to stop 'reading all that crap on the internet'. Sigh. (I'm a Thyroid Patient Advocate because patients somewhere, someday, will listen and something, anything I've said, or written will ring a bell and make sense and better someone's life...I have to keep believing this...and repeating it, over and over).

And than I have to say "i'm sorry Ma...I'm still trying though...I know you're looking down here and you know I'm still trying".

Thanks to all my friends and loved ones for hearing me.

Pam
Old 12-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #23

Old 12-29-2009, 03:50 PM   #24
Big Yapper!!!!

Thanks Pam again He wants me to have the other half of my Thyroid removed this year and do RAI treatments to kill off remaining tissue.
I pay 23 dollars for the real synthroid. I could swing Cytomel, I dont really understand why he thinks I dont need it. He says my blood work looks good.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #25

can you share your blood work? labs with lab ranges
Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #26
LJB

Quote:
can you share your blood work? labs with lab ranges
I don't have the "actual" lab results. The doctor did not give me my copy.

The test I was given was T7???I was told the range was abnormal.
I looked more carefully at what I do have. they made me an appt for an antibodies test??

Last edited by LJB; 12-29-2009 at 04:47 PM..
Old 12-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #27
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
It is a KNOWN fact that thryoid cancer returns if the patient isn't COMPLETELY suppressed. And how do we completely suppress? By giving BOTH T4 AND T3. So..um...there's a lot of proof that if thyroid cancer returns because the physician doesn't suppress the patient that lawsuits work really well in patient's favor (sorry couldn't resist!!!). Perhaps you should point that out.

Expensive? Well, 5mg. twice a day of generic Cytomel costs about 22 bucks a month. Can you not afford that? OMG..tell him if he'll give you the Rx. Hail..I'll PAY for it for YOU if you cannot afford that! And generic Synthroid (Levoxyl, levothyroxine generic) costs around 14 dollars a month for that amount. Jeez...so it's gonna be ok with Doc Cheapo if ya get cancer again? This kind of stuff makes me sick to my stomach. I say we sign Doc Cheapo up for a thyroidectomy with a secondary operation to make him a eunuch.

Pam

Not sure where you are located but generic synthroid 90 day supply regardless of the dosage is only $10-12 at most major retailers like Kmart walmart krogers, CVS and I'm sure other drugstore chains too. I haven't found one that does Cytomel in their $4 of 30 days plans.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #28
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: 2big4mysize
Stats: 313 to current goalie 169-173
WOE: Atkins 2002
Start Date: june 1 2002
Quote:
I hope you all forgive me...I've just lost another good friend this past month. And it didn't have to happen. She listened to her doctor because he wore a white coat and played 'Doctor God' with her. And was opinionated and told her to stop 'reading all that crap on the internet'. Sigh. (I'm a Thyroid Patient Advocate because patients somewhere, someday, will listen and something, anything I've said, or written will ring a bell and make sense and better someone's life...I have to keep believing this...and repeating it, over and over).

And than I have to say "i'm sorry Ma...I'm still trying though...I know you're looking down here and you know I'm still trying".

Thanks to all my friends and loved ones for hearing me.

Pam
sorry.
I'm listening and learning from you

got my T3 dose upped cause you said it was too low and the blood work agreed with what you said and not what the prescribing chart the naturethyroid folk gave my doc said.

Getting more blood work next week and will be back to see if you agree with whatever my doc says to do based on those results.
2big4mysize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #29
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoMom View Post
Thanks Pam again He wants me to have the other half of my Thyroid removed this year and do RAI treatments to kill off remaining tissue.
I pay 23 dollars for the real synthroid. I could swing Cytomel, I dont really understand why he thinks I dont need it. He says my blood work looks good.
It's already been asked, I know it without looking, lol, but what is your latest Free T4 and Free T3 (please supply the lab ranges that were used by the lab who did the tests, the ranges are all different from lab to lab). If he's only doing a TSH and a T4...than he doesn't know if you are ok, and you don't either.

Pam
Old 12-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #30
LJB

I'm so confused about all of this.