Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/191.8/152
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: This time: 12/17/14
Naturethroid (instead of Armour) and weight gain??!!!!??

I've been trying really hard not to panic. But since the switch to Naturethroid a couple of weeks ago I've gained 5 pounds with no change in eating or exercise. The last time I was at this weight was November 3 of last year when I saw it on the way DOWN the scale.

I'm trying not to panic and I'm trying to keep in mind that thyroid regulation is about so much more than just weight and vanity. However........

After the first week of gains I upped my dose by 1/4 grain. (from 1.25 grains taken split to a total of 1.5 grains taken split) I took my Armour sublinqually and that really doesn't work with Naturethroid (doesn't really dissolve) which I thought should take care of it.

But it didn't.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I still have some reformulated Armour (didn't care much for that either) so I went back to that today.

I'm going to cry. I do NOT want to go back where I came from. (please indulge what I hope is an over reaction!)

DG

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Redeemed
WOE: low carb - 1400 calories
DG, I'm so sorry to read about your weight gain. I know I would feel very discouraged. I started taking Naturethroid (1 gm) about a week ago along with Prometrium. I am down about two pounds. Except for one day, I have been staying on plan with LC. My doc also prescribed Estridoil but it gave me headaches so I quit taking it. That's just my "shared" experience with Naturethroid. I don't know enough yet about all of this to give advice. I'm sure the others can advise you.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If it were me, I'd contact my doctor about this issue of weight gain. When my T3 tanked, I gained weight rapidly, but fortunately, I was scheduled for a blood test the following week, and we discovered the problem. It's possible that you're not getting what you need from either the dosage or the med, and I'd want my doctor to check ASAP.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Leo and Redeemed. Leo you are right that the answer about the weight gain will lie in another blood test. Unfortunately I just had one RIGHT before the switch - just a regularly scheduled check - prior to knowing I was going to have to change meds. Had I known that, I would have waited. Insurance is not going to want to pay for another test so soon (my problem I know - I'm just whiney today!).

In other news, this horrid heachache problem persists and I guess I can't rule out a connection between that and the med change either.

Oh what I wouldn't give for a life time supply of the old version of Armour that I got along so well with!!

I'm still interested of course in seeing if there are any other folks who have had any difficulties at all making the switch, and what you've experienced.

Keep the info and suggestions comin'.

DG
Old 09-14-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
some people find NT to not be as potent as amour.. our bodies all act differently.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
DG-

Common blood tests may not be a problem. I know that I have to wait an entire year between mammograms, for example, but my blood is tested every 4 months for my hypo on a regular basis. I even had two tests only a month apart when I began having hypo symptoms. Of course, your insurance may be different from mine.

I think if the doctor can specifiy a medical reason for the test, insurance will pay regardless of the time involved. For example, my insurance will normally pay for a colonoscopy only once every three years, but one year, my doctor wanted to repeat the test the following year because of something he 'saw' that seemed to warrant follow up. Fortunately, it proved to be nothing serious, but the insurance paid for the follow up test.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
some people find NT to not be as potent as amour.. our bodies all act differently.
That is interesting news.

I had sent a fax to my doc (best way to communicate with her) late last week about the issues I'm having. I just got a call back today, than just now another call with answers to questions. Of course doc has the benefit of working with many patients through this transition as Armour was her "preferred" med so I'm sure she has many many who are making the switch to NT. She recommended another slight increase dose which jives with what you are saying. FWIW she is also suggesting a slight cut back in my evening dose of Prog. and Est. BHRT. Hopefully these changes will stem the tide of weight gain and we'll see how I feel energy wise, etc.

The other change FWIW is that she is suggesting 1/2 my thyroid dose in the AM and 1/2 at noon. I used to take a larger portion of my total daily dose in the AM and a smaller dose at noon. So we'll see how that goes as well.

The jury is still out on this headache thing but I really think my chiropractor would me up too tight when screwing my noggin' back on my body.

Leo - thanks for the tip that the insurance company probably would cover another test (my last one was just over a month ago) since this is related to a med change. WHEW. It's been an expensive medical year and I'll save every penny I can keep in my pocket. I'm going to see how I feel with the dose change. If I feel better and can get the weight thing in check then I know we are on the right track. If I continue to have problems then you are right - back the numbers we should probably go before tinkering much more.

With Armour I could tell what the numbers would be just by how I felt. I hope to find that equilibrium again.

I've been reading some stuff on the FDA site and that place scares the bejeezees out of me. I also called and left a voice mail inquiring about the shortages just to support the broader effort to keep natural thyroid meds available.

Now. Back to what I should have been doing all day today!!

Thanks again everyone for your willingness to share info and support.

DG
Old 09-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Well, after much dose fiddling I finally feel back to "normal." Well, what I mean by "normal" is the way I felt, and the way my body acted back when I was happily rolling along on .75 grain of Armour original in the AM, and .5 grain mid day.

Things started getting strange for me when I got my first batch of reformulated Armour. I didn't stay on that long (although I still have stash) since Doc was switching everyone to Naturethroid. My old Armour dose didn't work right with that either.

I'm now dosed at 1 grain NT in the AM, and .75 grain mid day. 1/2 grain seems like a LOT to go up after I was stable for well over a year on my old armour dose. Or does it?????

But that's what it took for me to feel "normal" again. Eventually I will be getting labs just to confirm what the numbers are doing. I thought I would share this info in case it's of interest to anyone else making a brand switch. I am also very interested in hearing what your experiences are!!

DG

Last edited by Doggygirl; 09-22-2009 at 04:12 PM..
Old 10-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

DG

I started Nature-throid the first of Sept. 1 grain. I felt fine - more energy, but the effects wore off after five hours. After three weeks my doctor had me take 1 grain in the morning and 1 grain in the afternoon. My lab tests are next week. I have more energy during the day. I have been eating off plan so I can't tell if it has affected my weight. I was curious if you lost the four pounds you gained when you first started Nature-throid?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Redeemed. It has taking some fiddling to get the dose just right. I really felt that the 1/2 grain uptic was a bit much so I backed it off a tad. I feel better at 1/4 up from my old Armour dose but it's only been a few days so it's really too soon to tell for sure. I will say that I was just thinking earlier today that my energy is better longer into the day than it used to be on Armour. So maybe that means I was too low in dose on Armour too?? Never a dull moment with this stuff.

Anyway...I too split doses. I take them 5 - 6 hours apart.

Yepper - the extra weight came right back off. I know I shouldn't panick over that sort of thing and should trust that when I get settled back into the correct dose, all will be well. But it is so hard for me to have faith in that when Mr. Scale is talkin' BAAD to me.

Did your doctor increase your total dose from 1 grain to 2 grains just like that??? I've always heard it's important to go up in smaller increments than a full grain so as not to "shock" the thyroid into stopping production of whatever hormone it IS making. I might have misunderstood that part of your post though. In any case, here's to optimization and may we all find it sooner rather than later with these med changes!

DG
Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

DG

I'm so glad things seem to be working out for you now and that the weight came off. Yes, Mr. Scale is a stinker! You understood my post correctly: My doc did up my dose to 1 grain after a couple of weeks. Pam, also cautioned me in a PM about going up too high too soon. I check my blood pressure often. My pulse stays in the 60's and my blood pressure is around 116/62 now that I'm on blood pressure meds. I used to work nights, but have been put on day shifts which I am very happy about. Today I had a very busy 12 hour shift. I had energy for the entire shift and wasn't at all tired. So.....so far, so good! I hope things continue to go well for you.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:53 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: netties99
weight gain and nature throid

been taking 2 of those pills which is 32.5 mg
gained 10 pounds
eaating right and exercising still nothing
feel like crying right now.

ofcourse heading to the big 50 is not that great either
nette
netties99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #13
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
I need 3.5 grains of ERFA Canadian (up from 3 of the 'regular Armour before reformulation). I know that I need 4 and over of Naturethroid, but that doesn't matter cuz it doesn't make me feel 'quite right' anyway. I would need a lot more of Armour now, but can't, cuz I'm allergic to the filler.

The ERFA is working very nicely, as soon as I figured out (new set of tests) that I needed more of it to work the same way. And I have to go three splits of the ERFA, but used to only do two.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jorose
Have a q here (sorry to hijack, may help others)
I'm a bit confused on BP issues. If hyPO causes high BP in some (ME), how do you balance that while trying to increase NT? Just take BP meds until you're optimized and then come off of them to see where your BP is then?
Jorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
Thyroid Patient Advocate

If T3 ups your blood pressure, than you need to step back and find out WHY. Most of us it's cuz we aren't eating well and WORKING OUT (very important with addition of T3 in so many).

I couldn't come off BP meds. Even now. I could have my doctor monitor it (as I lost over 100 lbs. and was treated for thyroid) and adjust...I'm down to one water pill from three BP pills.

Some of us can't ever come off BP meds. My high BP WAS from overweight, but now it's because of my high IgE and allergicness/the meds I have to take.

Pam
Old 10-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

HOLY COW, you lost 100 pounds????? I want to see before/after pics!! (that is, if you share them )
I'm low carbing for LIFE!!! I'm doing better everyday with this. I made a greek yogurt smoothy with sugar free coconut milk and a couple of raspberries with a pinch of stevia a while ago....YUM!!!
Ok, that explained the BP issue very well...thanks again Pam!!
Old 10-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #17
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I was 277 at the start (actually more the year before) and I weigh around 113 to 119 depending. There are pics of me in the gallery.

Pam
Old 10-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Wow, Pam. Good for you! I'm trying to view and it says I'm not allowed?? Here's what it says:
You do not have permission to view the images in this category. ??
Old 10-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #19

Quote:
I need 3.5 grains of ERFA Canadian (up from 3 of the 'regular Armour before reformulation).
ERFA has slightly less than what the old functioning amour had. I take 3.5grains too in a 3way split.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Have no idea why it says that, lol.

Yeah, it took me about a week to know that the ERFA wasn't 'quite enough'. At first I 'overshot' by going up to 4 grain....then worked my way back down to 3.5.

Pam
Old 10-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Finally let me see the pics Pam some kind of glitch I guess.
You look AMAZING!!! The transformation is incredible!!! Now I'm gonna go look at other people, lol Seriously, you look like a million bucks!!!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Ileen, you look like you could beat the crap outta AAAAnold!! Amazing pics too!!
Old 10-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorose View Post
Ileen, you look like you could beat the crap outta AAAAnold!! Amazing pics too!!
:blush: :blush:

they are just for show
Old 10-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #24
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Aww, thank you very much. Just goes to show you what a hypothyroid gal can do with a little thyroid hormone, LC and exercise.

Pam
Old 04-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nirea1982
Just Switched to Nature Throid

Would love advice from anyone, I was doing fine on Levothyroxine but impossible to lose weight with the exception of starving or juicing. I just weighted myself earlier this year was down to 175 today I jumped up to 187 haven't been this heavy in awhile. I'm permanently starving seriously. since i switched to NT I've been eating like a maniac I never get hunger pangs anymore but lately I end up making lunch around 10:30 or 11 instead of 12 or 12:30 like I used to. I also joined a kickball team that drinks often so I've decided to cut back on that since I usually keep away from carbs.

Also I started taking Iodine drops and Standard Process Adrenal Desiccated as well. It's been 3 days since I increased my meds from 3/4 grain up to 1 grain and started taking supplements how in the world am I gaining? My energy level is getting better since a few days ago (First month I could sleep non stop was so tired on 3/4 grain) Any suggestions would help I hate to go back to Levothyroxine as I need to lose weight and want to know how others transitioned? and if Armour works better than Nature Thyroid I've heard new formula does nothing for most.
nirea1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Kristin135
Stats: 201/173/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2009
I'm so glad you bumped this post. I have have been taking naturethroid for 6-8 months now and I have been seriously struggling with my weight. I was not struggling so much with Armour- even the reformulated. Of course I have not done as well as when I took the original Armour.

I work nights so I was blaming the weight gain on that, but I may have to request a different formulation.
Kristin135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
It's probably a good idea to get labs done and see where you are first. Maybe a change in dosage is needed. FT4 and FT3.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote