Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WOE: A chicken wing and a prayer.
New Test Results - Finally

Hi again,
I have finally received all my test results.

Please be so kind as to look them over and tell me if there is anything going on. I had to insist on getting the results. The doctor just sent me an email saying no further appointments are needed. He said the numbers in the parentheses are the "normal" amounts.

Here they are:

TSH = 2.02 (0.4-4.00)
Free T4 = 1.00 (0.70 - 1.48)
Thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin = 93 ( < 125)
Thyroperoxidase antibody < 3.0 ( < 5.6)
Free T3 = 247 (210-440)

Thanks in advance!!!!
Oh, I forgot to mention that I DO NOT take medication.
pow pow bing bang

Last edited by cowboyshootergirl; 06-16-2009 at 01:58 PM..
cowboyshootergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: CarolynF
Stats: 195/141/139
WOE: Eat Fat, Get Thin
Start Date: January 2001
I'm anxious to see what Pam says..

I think your FreeT3 is a little low..It should be in the top third and I think your Free T4 is a tiny bit low..just my guess.

Do you have symptoms? Tired??? Etc??? Your doctor probably won't do anything medication wise..You might have to find another doctor who "gets" it.
CarolynF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #3

Gallery: Ilpirata
Well I'm a pirate not a Doctor but in MY opinion:

Your TSH is elevated. My GP will treat anything over 2.0 (most docs will think your number is in range but its not ideal)
Your FT3 is crappy. That number should be in the top 2/3 of the range not hanging way down there in the bottom where yours is.

Time to start looking for a doctor that will treat you.
WHERE in California are you? (sorry, is high desert a town?)
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Kisha,
Sorry, the High Desert is a region. Like Palms Springs in is the Low Desert, I am in the High Desert. I live in Phelan. (Fee-lan) but nobody knows where that is. It's on the I15 on the way to Vegas near Victorville. No one knows where that is either.

I am willing to travel in order to get the proper medical attention I need. SoCal or Las Vegas are perfect. I am even willing to drive further, if needed.

Carolyn, to answer your question....Yes, I am tired all.the.time., blue, edgy....
I am sad all the docs think it's all in my head and want to give me Paxil and Prozac to deal. I refuse them and get a ...well have a nice life.... attitude from the docs.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #5

Did you look at Top Thyroid Docs near you? I'm sure a little bit of Armour would do you a world of good.. But, I'm no doctor, either.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:25 AM   #6
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Jumping the gun. You need the following:

iron
ferritin
progesterone
estradiol

then commence to finding a thyroid doc. Your crappy T3 and 2'ish TSH point to 'something's up'...now, it could be low iron or ferritin (anything under 70 ain't normal), or low progesterone (are you in perimeno? meno?) dragging it down.

There is a virtual WASTELAND of TSH practitioners in sunny California (unless you can fork over 300 a visit) and I don't know about Vegas, but think there may be better docs there...let me check while you get the above tested.

(That's silly he did a TSI. Ha ha..with that TSH, I would have waited, and only done a TPO). You don't show Hashi's antibodies at this point and time. Something is dragging ur T3 down...are you trying to diet (under 30grams carbs AND under 1200 cals?). That can do it too.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Pam,

iron
ferritin
progesterone
estradiol

How does one get those tested? I had asked the Thyroid doc to test for hormones. He said this wasn't his deptartment. I just want to cry.

This makes me so sad to see the word progesterone. I had a miscarriage in January. I "know" it was do to my progesterone levels. We had them tested right after the pregnancy failed and they were extremely low from what they should have been. When I inquired about my levels, my OB blew it off stating the numbers aren't accurate due to the miscarriage. They have to be taken on certain days of the month when a person is cycling in order to get accurate readings.

My primary MD is pissed at me because I filled a complaint with Membership Services as she wouldn't authorize for the FT3 or a referral to an Endo; stating she didn't feel I needed it. I don't think I can go back to her. I am going with my husband to his primary MD on Friday and will ask if he will take me on as a patient. He is a nice man. I don't know what else to do?

I don't think I am peri or menopausal yet. I am still very regular.
I am so frustrated. I keep being dismissed and denied and don't know where to turn. I "know" there is something not right going on inside of me. I can't get anyone to listen to me.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #8

I had some tests done by Health Check USA. You order them on-line, then go to local lab in your area (check the site) where they draw the blood.

I'm sure Pam can find you a doctor out there..Someone who deals with bioidenticals might be more "open"..Or you can call pharmacies in your area to find out which doctors prescribe
Armour. Or you can find compounding pharmacies in your area and ask the same thing.

It is very frustrating finding a doctor who gets it..I go to a PA after having been to several MDs, DO's and an Endo.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Miscarriage is caused by thyroid draining your progesterone. How hard is THAT? jeez.

Start with calling pharms and asking if they rx. Armour, if they say yes, ask which docs Rx it (tell them you JUST moved there, and have been on it for 'years'). Google search for anti aging docs (many are good with thyroid AND hormones).

I need a small list of large cities you'd be willing to travel to to get treatment before I can get a doc list up for you.

Pam
Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyshootergirl View Post
I am going with my husband to his primary MD on Friday and will ask if he will take me on as a patient. He is a nice man. I don't know what else to do?

I keep being dismissed and denied and don't know where to turn. I "know" there is something not right going on inside of me. I can't get anyone to listen to me.
Well, that didn't do anything. He is over the Department for Kaiser; High Desert. I explained the horrible time I was having with Primary Physicians. I explained I had to fight for a referral to an Endo and he said I was fine and in normal range. I showed him my test results. He said that, "Yes, you are in a normal range." He said my T3 was right where it should be "in the middle" THAT'S HARDLY IN THE MIDDLE!!!! I told him I "heard" that docs will start treating when a TSH is over 2. He said this isn't the case. Are they taught to lie?

I asked about Armour. He said NOBODY prescribes that anymore. He said and I quote, "that's just ground up pig thyroid and doesn't work."

I explained I would need to look for an outside (meaning away from Kaiser) doctor. He said, "yes, you will."

Why do I need to get really sick before I can get help?

Pam, Places I am willing to drive. Really anywhere in SoCal..... some BIGGER cities are:

Palm Springs
Lancaster/Palmdale
Ontario
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Pasadena
San Diego (would make a weekend of it)
Las Vegas (also a weekender)
Santa Barbara (ditto)

Thank you so much!!!!

Last edited by cowboyshootergirl; 06-19-2009 at 01:38 PM..
Old 06-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #11

Gallery: Ilpirata
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyshootergirl View Post
Well, that didn't do anything. He is over the Department for Kaiser; High Desert. I explained the horrible time I was having with Primary Physicians. I explained I had to fight for a referral to an Endo and he said I was fine and in normal range. I showed him my test results. He said that, "Yes, you are in a normal range." He said my T3 was right where it should be "in the middle" THAT'S HARDLY IN THE MIDDLE!!!! I told him I "heard" that docs will start treating when a TSH is over 2. He said this isn't the case. Are they taught to lie?

I asked about Armour. He said NOBODY prescribes that anymore. He said and I quote, "that's just ground up pig thyroid and doesn't work."

I explained I would need to look for an outside (meaning away from Kaiser) doctor. He said, "yes, you will."

Why do I need to get really sick before I can get help?

Pam, Places I am willing to drive. Really anywhere in SoCal..... some BIGGER cities are:

Palm Springs
Lancaster/Palmdale
Ontario
Los Angeles
Anaheim
Pasadena
San Diego (would make a weekend of it)
Las Vegas (also a weekender)

Thank you so much!!!!
Santa Barbara (ditto)
O you poor thing. Look, here's the deal that man may be nice and all but he is absolutely clueless about armour and thyroid. CLUELESS and therefore absolutely NOT the doc for you (duh right). You need to find someone that gets it. I know it can be disheartening but the upside is that you KNOW what is wrong with you and you WILL find someone to help you. When I think of all the poor women who believe when their doctor tells them they are "find" and/or don't know what to do about it... its just awful. You ARE aware and you will do what you need to to get some help. DON'T GIVE UP.
Ilpirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:03 PM   #12
Thyroid Patient Advocate

What a dinosaur!! And my patient recommended lists have a lot of 'OOH, EEEH, AHH, the Doctor God LISTENED to me!!! OOH!!! " Than I ask "what tests did he do, and what dosage and what hormone are you on?" they answer me with "Oh, none...but he LISTENED!!!" Sigh. I'm trying to change all that.

First of all I want you to go to Yahoo. Go to Groups. Put in search: California Thyroid Support Group. Join it. Jami is the moderator, tell her nonstickpam sent ya! They'll know of doctors that I DON'T know (I'm not in your area). In the meantime, these are MY picks for docs (based on patients' recommendations)..you'll have to call and ask if they take insurance, etc. Oh, goodness, Kaiser..yeah...dark ages for women, might be ok for men (the stories I've heard, oh my!!).

Bruce Chow, OD General Practice 9581 Ball Road Anaheim CA 92804 A reader writes: "Dr. Chow is open to patient feedback, will call you personally with lab results, very caring and understanding, not in a hurry with patients. He will prescribe Armour and believes that just because a drug is newer, it's not necessarily better--he depends on patient input to decide if a medicine is appropriate or not."

Simon Barker, Naturopathic Doctor, 740 North Lake Avenue, Pasadena, 91104, Ph/Fax: 626-794-4668, Paracelsus LA - Naturopathic & Homeopathic Doctors in Pasadena, paracelsusla@yahoo.com

Daniel Brousseau, DO, 740 N. Lake Avenue, Pasadena, CA 91104, (626) 794-4668. A reader writes: "Armour thyroid, natural approach"

The first doc and the last would be my 'main objectives' to focus on.

Pam
Old 06-19-2009, 06:40 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you Pam and Kisha!!!!

I did go to Yahoo and signed up for the support group. I am waiting to hear back from them as to my acceptance. Doing a little surfing on the web I found a Group in Torrance, CA The Holtorf Medical Group that Specializes in Complex Endocrine Dysfunction, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and Bioidentical Hormone Replacement. I will call them tomorrow if they are open. I will as well check into the docs in Pasadena and Anaheim.

This is close to where I grew up and can go visit my Mother at the same time. I HOPE they will take a "cash" patient. I found one doctor in Apple Valley, CA that does prescribe Armour but only take patients with Ins. or Medical, no cash.

Thank you, thank you for all your help!!!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #14
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bissonnettemi
Hey just reading your posts, Susie...I know a NFP Dr in Southern Cal and I am certain he would do those tests for you. Dr. Paddy Jim Baggot... he's Creighton Model trained, uses NaPro Technology...so it is totally in lines with proper testing, esp if you are wanting to conceive. He is up near Santa Teresita, if interested.

Paddy Jim Baggot, M.D.
OB/GYN
931 Buena Vista 303
Duarte, CA 91010
Phone: 626-358-8045 Fax: 626-358-8216

Hope that this helps you!
&
Mi

Last edited by Bissonnettemi; 06-20-2009 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: addition
Bissonnettemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:21 AM   #15
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissonnettemi View Post
Hey just reading your posts, Susie...I know a NFP Dr in Southern Cal and I am certain he would do those tests for you. Dr. Paddy Jim Baggot... he's Creighton Model trained, uses NaPro Technology...so it is totally in lines with proper testing, esp if you are wanting to conceive. He is up near Santa Teresita, if interested.

Paddy Jim Baggot, M.D.
OB/GYN
931 Buena Vista 303
Duarte, CA 91010
Phone: 626-358-8045 Fax: 626-358-8216

Hope that this helps you!
&
Mi
I've heard of this doctor. And he's not Rx'ing Armour, and as far as three patient reports doesn't do FT's, TPO, TSI testing....goes by TSH? Can you clarify as to what thyroid treatment this doctor does? It would be very welcome.

To date, I've spoken to over 2500 women who could NOT carry a child to term, and some could not conceive. About a thousand of them had hypothyroidism, had been to several repro endo's, and still could NOT find a doc to do more than a TSH on them!

To date (I'm so proud of this!) 52 women have become pregnant and carried to term (for goodness sake, I have copies of ultrasounds from them, lol) after finding a doctor who knew how to treat thyroid adequately.

I love putting new doctors on my lists to advocate to patients, and I'd love to put this one on it...as soon as I have clarification from at least four patients who have thyroid disease, and have been treated by him (using more than a TSH and just T4 synthetic) to aid in conception/birth. Thanks.

ETA: I DID have ONE ObGYN on my lists, but he's since retired, I have not one OBGYN on my lists now. Most of them don't take much training in thyroid disease beyond a TSH and just Rx'ing synthetic T4. We can find docs who WILL give T4...but they don't realize the 'interpretation' of T4, and T3 (they think if it's anywhere in range at all, the patient is 'good'). I so think that a correct thyroid panel should be done with the sex hormone panel. Just replacing progesterone in a thyroid disease patient doesn't result in having a child.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 06-21-2009 at 07:24 AM..
Old 06-24-2009, 08:06 AM   #16
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Gallery: Bissonnettemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
I've heard of this doctor. And he's not Rx'ing Armour, and as far as three patient reports doesn't do FT's, TPO, TSI testing....goes by TSH? Can you clarify as to what thyroid treatment this doctor does? It would be very welcome.
Hi Pam, please see my PM...you may also choose to re-read my post. By testing, I was referring to the ones Susie mention in questioning where to get those tested:

iron
ferritin
progesterone
estradiol

Dr. Baggot is a good OB-GYN physician.
Bissonnettemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: heidisme
Los Angeles Dr. Recommendations

Hello,
I'm new here and also looking for a Dr. in LA. Susie who did you ultimately go see? I'd like to find someone who takes insurance but so far no luck. If I can't find anyone I'm considering Dr. Ted Friedman. My Dr. refuses to do any further testing because my TSH is 2.4, last year it was 3.11 and he told me I was fine then as well. However, for most of my adult life (I am now 43) I have had to keep my caloric intact to 800 a day or I gain weight, I have heart palpitations, I am cold all the time, my hands are always cold, I have abnormal menstrual cycles, I am hypoglycemic, I barely sweat, I have insomnia, and bad wrist pains. In the last four months my hair has started to fall out and has become like hay, it is so dry, I have gained weight, my voice is hoarse, and the area just under my chin feels like its become swollen (that area looks like I've gained 25 pounds rather than the 5 I have). BTW I am a pescetarian (the only meat I eat is fish) and have supplemented my meals with soy products for years, although after reading this board have stopped.

I told my mother that I feel I am hypothyroid and she told me that both she and her mother (my grandmother) have been taking medication for it since they were 16, not sure why she never told me this before, oh, well. In any event, I would really like help finding a Dr. who will treat me. Just to be clear I have never been on medication for this.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Dr. to see (preferably who will take Blue Shield, and, if not, anyone good will do)?
Thanks a bunch,
Heidi
PS I too joined the yahoo california thyroid group and have posed the same question there.
heidisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:17 PM   #18
Do you know your CCLL?

Gallery: 2bflawless
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidisme View Post
Hello,
I'm new here and also looking for a Dr. in LA. Susie who did you ultimately go see? I'd like to find someone who takes insurance but so far no luck. If I can't find anyone I'm considering Dr. Ted Friedman. My Dr. refuses to do any further testing because my TSH is 2.4, last year it was 3.11 and he told me I was fine then as well. However, for most of my adult life (I am now 43) I have had to keep my caloric intact to 800 a day or I gain weight, I have heart palpitations, I am cold all the time, my hands are always cold, I have abnormal menstrual cycles, I am hypoglycemic, I barely sweat, I have insomnia, and bad wrist pains. In the last four months my hair has started to fall out and has become like hay, it is so dry, I have gained weight, my voice is hoarse, and the area just under my chin feels like its become swollen (that area looks like I've gained 25 pounds rather than the 5 I have). BTW I am a pescetarian (the only meat I eat is fish) and have supplemented my meals with soy products for years, although after reading this board have stopped.

I told my mother that I feel I am hypothyroid and she told me that both she and her mother (my grandmother) have been taking medication for it since they were 16, not sure why she never told me this before, oh, well. In any event, I would really like help finding a Dr. who will treat me. Just to be clear I have never been on medication for this.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Dr. to see (preferably who will take Blue Shield, and, if not, anyone good will do)?
Thanks a bunch,
Heidi
PS I too joined the yahoo california thyroid group and have posed the same question there.
I have a great doctor in Long Beach, CA (Orange County) would that work for you? I use to live in L.A. and had the worst doctors, I finally found a doctor that gets it. I found him on the Armour site. Check the site for someone near you if O.C. is too far.
2bflawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Hi Lisa,
Thanks. I looked on that site last week and the only Dr. I found who was on my health insurance was Dr. Lynn Ramirez. He is a family practictioner. I called his office and asked if he orders free Ts when checking for hypothyroidism vs. only TSH and whether he is willing proscribe Armour, if necessary, and the receptionist said yes. So he is a strong possibility, however, by switching to him I'd loose OB/GYN but I guess you can't have everything
Anyone have any experience with Dr. Ramirez?
Thanks
Heidi
Old 01-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #20
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissonnettemi View Post
Hi Pam, please see my PM...you may also choose to re-read my post. By testing, I was referring to the ones Susie mention in questioning where to get those tested:

iron
ferritin
progesterone
estradiol

Dr. Baggot is a good OB-GYN physician.
I will say 'please see my 22 years of research' I guess. NO ONE needs a doctor who will not test ALL the hormones. I buried two still born children (born at nine months gestation) and had a really GREAT OB/GYN who tested all those things, but, unfortunately, didn't get thyroid connection in there...not to say that doctor does NOT get it, he very well may..but no woman on Earth needs a doc to test ALL BUT the thyroid hormones. KWIM? I know several very wonderful OB's and they know their stuff as to doing pregnant/hormone testing, but they don't do ANY (at all) thyroid testing.

There are also several posts (back when) on here of five women who kept having miscarriages, stillborns, etc. and two who just plain couldn't conceive. All of them were going to a couple of VERY notable and famous reproductive endocrinologists...who had 'missed the boat'. They tested all of that tests you give, and actually also did FT's and TSH...but no TPO AB, no TSI, no TRab,s and as a result these women went childless.

Three of them now have children due to the fact they found a doctors who did give them both T4 AND T3 and kept the levels of progesterone in synch with T4 and T3.

If you KNOW that doctor personally, you might, just as a favor, and I don't expect you to do this...but you might ask that doctor PERSONALLY if he tests FT4, (Free T4) and FT3 (Free T3) and if he Rx's Armour thyroid or if he Rx's T4 and Cytomel and does NOT look at TSH.

Susie can get those tests at www.healthcheckusa.com OR at a regular MD's office by walking in off the street and asking for them and then paying the doctor too. Those are tests EVERY woman of childbearing age should have every year at physical along with FT3, FT4, TSH and TPO AB.

I thank you for the name of this doc, and if he, indeed, does ALL the above testing and Rx's the meds I've mentioned, that would be a great help on my lists of docs. But, if he's just a OB/GYN who only does TSH and T4 (like most, it's not his fault...it's just that he needs to specialize in just what he does) then there's one on every corner. My OB/GYN's missed my disease...all four of them, and they are ALL great OB's! Just great..they can catch a baby like no one's business. But I had two stillborns, and FOUR miscarriages because they didn't do thyroid well.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 01-12-2010 at 07:25 AM..
Old 01-12-2010, 09:45 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

OMG I'm surprised

OMG I'm shocked. After weeks of trying to convince my DO to do the testing and only getting my TSH, I just called my ob/gyn just to see if she'd run the tests since I don't want to loose her by switching to a different network to get to Dr. Ramierz. Her nurse scheduled blood tests for me for this Friday, I don't have to go to a lab, they draw the blood in her office. She said they do "T3 and T4 etc." But I'm not sure what the "etc" means. I plan to go in with the following list, if I need to add to or subtract from this list please let me know. Thanks so much for any help:
Ferritin

Leptin

Free T3

T3

Free
T4

T4
Thyroid peroxidase antibody(TPO)

Antithyroglobulin antibody

Sex hormone-binding globulin(SHBG)
Vitamin D
Iron
progesterone
estradiol

Heidi
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #22
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Leptin? My thyroid doc did that at one time, but I remember having to pay out of pocket for it (I have PPO in a suitcase that will pay for just about ANYTHING...but not that!) and I do believe it was over 500 dollars and showed me...um..nothing. To be fair, it WAS four years ago, and I"m hoping someone will jump in here and say what they paid and what it did for them.

The SHBG usually isn't done either unless one of the OTHER tests come back skewed, and you might want to remove that for now, and put in DHEA (you can always get the SHBG later).

Now, I had four doctors in a row do the: FT4, FT3 (and if you are NOT on any birth control to bind up those hormones, they may not do them and just do totals, just to clue ya), TSH, iron, ferritin and call whatever was ANYWHERE AT ALL within the lab range 'normal'. So the first part is getting the tests, but the second really important part is how they are interpreted.

My fifth doctor was 'hand picked' after much research, and he took one look at the FT's and my progesterone and estradiol and voila...just what I thought! (Oh, the TPO AB is really important, but keep in mind that some docs will only do the antithyroglobulin antibody and call ya normal...the TPO shows Hashimoto's autoimmune hypothyroidism, but the other shows 'some kind of autoimmunity in the thyroid, but not specific' and some docs will 'jump to conclusions' that it's hyPER Graves >..now, if ya can imagine...they only did that one on me FOUR times, and all FOUR of the docs looked at me (I weighed 275 lbs. on a 5' 1" frame,sluggish, couldn't lose weight, feet hurt, missing half my eyebrows, hair looked like STRAW, etc etc.) and said "OH, you got hypERthyroidism". Yah. alrighty then.

so, I would want the following first (and keep in mind, MOST OB GYNS do NOT do good thyroid, they like just a TSH and T4 and then chuck just synthetic T4 at ya...I'm not saying ALL of them now...so you'all haters just go away right now...I'm not having a good day anyway, ha ha...I'm just saying nine out of every ten):

iron
Free T4
Free T3
TPO AB
Vitamin D
progesterone
estradiol
free testosterone

Just for starters. And I'd tell the doc "I want a copy of the lab report when you sign off of it...and it needs to have the lab ranges on it please" (Docs' in CA love to call and say 'Oh, yer normal, have a nice day, buh bye').

Also, ask how MUCH for that above. Cuz you can get it through Online Lab Tests: blood work, blood testing and laboratory tests for under 200 bucks. And many insurance will kick you back the money spent.

Pam
Old 01-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #23
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I just had to expound on Dr. Friedman. Just the very best. For the very rich. And he only takes apps by email? So I've heard you get to email him a million and one times and then he answers. But, if he takes YOUR insurance (I was under impression that he took none and is a cash only doc, but things change and that was a good year ago) I'd see him in a heartbeat. He's very good on very hard cases (those that involve adrenals and aldosterone and renin deficiency..people who were very close to um..how to say...not being able to live any type of decent life have made complete turn arounds). I do believe if she doesn't NOW, that the moderator of the Yahoo Cali group sees him (or used to). Tell Jami that PyroPam says a big HI and that I hope everything is going very right in her world (she's just a sweetheart and is one of the best thyroid patient advocates I've ever had the pleasure to 'meet' online or anywhere).

Pam
Old 01-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the info Pam!

I wish Dr. Friedman was covered by my insurance but no such luck. I figure if after these tests (and I'll be sure to get a copy of all the specifics) my dr. doesn't want to help me, I'll try one more dr. on my insurance (and endo named Dr. Eliana Schenk) and if no such luck then pay out of pocket for someone like Dr. Friedman (I may not be able to afford him), or a Dr. Travis Deuson in Encino (found his name at BodyLogicMD Doctors Specializing in Bioidentical Hormone Therapy, Menopause and Andropause), or someone similar, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

As for now at least I can get my ob/gyn to do the tests and then I can take them and try to find someone to treat me in a helpful way if she's unwilling.

Just so I am clear, for now I should just ask her to do the following?

iron
Free T4
Free T3
TPO AB
Vitamin D
progesterone
estradiol
free testosterone

and scrap the rest?

I am excited to at least be on my way as I am really really tired of being so cold (for over 20 years) and watching my hair fall out and losing my curls and so many many other things...
Heidi
Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #25
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Yeah, that's the line up. And if you can't get a doc to order them, there is always the healthcheckusa.com site (their doc signs the order and then sends you to a lab near you and reports back to YOU). Friedman isn't the only good doctor and the bodylogic group..um...in some of the states they don't do such a 'good job' on thyroid, so, watch that too. Most endo's won't do much more than a TSH (WHY do people think endo's do thyroid? Most don't very well...they do diabetes well).

My initial testing for my thyroid doc was much like the initial testing that Friedman does, I happen to KNOW that for a fact. If I had to pay out of pocket we're talking 2500 dollars, not including the visit, so save those pennies.

Being cold and hair fallout can actually be iron and ferritin low...so that's not just thyroid symptoms. Any other symptoms that are 'just' thyroid that you have?

Pam
Old 01-12-2010, 04:39 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Not sure which are just thyroid but for most of my adult life (I am now 43) I have had to keep my caloric intact to 800 a day or I gain weight, I have heart palpitations, I am cold all the time, my hands are always cold, I have abnormal menstrual cycles, frequent urination, I am hypoglycemic, I barely sweat, I have insomnia, and bad wrist pains. In the last four months my hair has started to fall out and has become like hay, it is so dry, I have gained weight, my voice is hoarse, and the area just under my chin feels like its become swollen (that area looks like I've gained 25 pounds rather than the 5 I have), sex drive has taken a nose dive, motivation has declined, and I've become quite forgetful.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #27
Thyroid Patient Advocate

A lot of that could be adrenals too. But staying at below 1400 calories for any length of time can actually MAKE you hypothyroid too. I had the heart palps bad, and when my progesterone fell (in my late 30's) it drained my thyroid too (that happens quite often, falling progesterone in peri meno will make the thyroid work harder and actually trigger Hashimoto's). Yeah, lots of those symptoms are both adrenal and thyroid, and a couple are perimeno. You are right to be concerned and to have the tests done now.

Many women actually are 'conned' into having carpal tunnel surgery when it's actually hypothyroidism too (but then again, many actually DO have carpal tunnel from repetitive motion).

Pam
Old 01-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

I am also fatigued, have bouts of random sadness, my ears often ring, and both my mother and her mother (my grandmother) have been taking thyroid medication since they were teenagers, I just learned that one last week. The bottoms of my feet hurt as well but that may be because I'm a dancer.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I don't buy the carpel tunnel, I think I just have weak sore wrists and have avoided all attempts by dr's for surgery. Based on all this is there anything I should add to the test list above?
Old 01-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #30
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I just caught your post at the Cali group (yeah, I belong too...just so I can gather info for others )...do not despair, someone will come along and help you out.

Yeah, you have most of the same symptoms I did...I'm hoping you find a DO or MD who just does 'good thyroid' and T4/T3 treatment...sending good vibes your way. Don't necessarily think you HAVE to see Friedman (there are like..um...10 docs who Rx. Armour near me....and two are WAY EXPENSIVE and only see the 'at death's door' cases, three are really good but expect you to hire them as your family doc (which is ok), the rest have a waiting list of a year or more.

Make SURE once you pick a doc that you call and ask to be put on cancellation list (so if someone cancels, you get THEIR appointment) if you are close enough to just go in a minute if they call.

Pam