Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Lounge Chef & Typo Queen!!

Gallery: SnowWhite
Stats: 450/ Ugh/185
Start Date: 5/26/03 * WLS 1/15/04
Foods that are bad for hypothyroid patients...

I was reading Jillian Michaels book and found a HUGE list of foods that don't support thyroid function for those of us who are hypothyroid.

Cruciferous (sp?) veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, etc. Most of us know to avoid soy but did you know that even STRAWBERRIES can be bad? The list goes on...caffeine, simple sugars (we already knew that ), PEANUTS, on and on and on...

Have any of you noticed a difference when elimintaing these foods from your diet?

Thanks!
SnowWhite is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Jillian Michaels is a physical trainer, NOT a nutritionist, and the list she gives can be found anywhere on the internet. That said, if you followed these lists, you'd never eat anything. And what does "don't support thyroid function" actually mean? If you're hypothyroid, as I am, the only thing that will support thyroid function is Rx meds! Some foods can be problematic because they lessen the effects of your meds--like soy.

When I was finally diagnosed, I asked my endo about foods (because he never mentioned anything about diet), and I was worried because I was occasionally eating BocaBurgers, which are soy based. My doctor said that I should avoid a soy RICH diet, but an occasional product would not be a problem.

The vegetables you mention are OK when cooked, so avoid eating them raw in GREAT QUANTITIES.

As for other items, my understanding is that they can interfere with the absorption of thyroid meds (which are hormones) if they were a staple of your diet. For example, I love strawberries, but have them only occasionally, so, according to my doctor, there should be no problem.

Since my endo checks my levels every 4 months, and there have been no problems, I assume that my WOE, including caffeine (which he actually told me to INCREASE to spur my metabolism) is not a problem.

By the way, I've felt great since I increased my caffeine!

Last edited by Leo41; 04-19-2009 at 12:19 PM..
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #3

Not a single Endo or doctor/PCP that I ever went to mentioned anything about foods to avoid. EVER! They handed me a prescription and that was the end of it til it was time to see them again.

I have big issues with soy. I gained over 200 pounds as a vegetarian AND developed thyroid diease. I'm sure my soy-filled diet had a LOT to do with that.

You said the vegetable I mentioned are "OK" when cooked. My question is this......if the option is "OK" it STILL doesn't mean OPTIMAL. It may REDUCE any negative effects, but omitting these foods mentioned might be OPTIMAL. This is just my own observation..I'm trying to do some research on the idea.

Yes, Jillian is a personal trainer...and she was successful in getting her clients to lose weight EVEN WHEN they were faced with major metabolic issues. She's done a lot of research...her book is worth reading to put things into perspective. It goes way, way beyond just hypothyroidism. It addresses all the problems our entire endocrine system is faced with due to poor quality of food, the environment, toxins, etc., etc.
2003 - (443lbs to 429lbs) 14 lost, 2004 - (429 lbs to 306lbs) 123 lb lost (WLS 1/15/04), 2005 - (306lbs to 260lbs) 46 lbs lost, 2006 - (260lbs to 236lbs) 23 lbs lost, 2007 - 21 LB GAIN (236 (AFTER HAVING BABY) - 257 ) 2008- (257 to 231) 25 lbs lost!), 2009 -(231 -?)
<>< Dear Sweet Jesus, I pray that I may walk by your side as you guide me down my path. Hold my hand, Dear Lord, and never let me stray. <><

Last edited by SnowWhite; 04-19-2009 at 12:40 PM..
Old 04-20-2009, 07:08 AM   #4
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Ok, here's the downlow (and yes, I'm a Jillian fan too...her tips on lifting/training even helped me...and I'm physically disabled):

Soy can actually trigger hypothyroidism. That's right. I can't say it enough. Even a little of it. BUT..if you ARE hypothyroid, then you need to know that soy, birth control pills, BHRT, HRT all bind thyroid hormone in the bloodstream. You need to know that soy IS avoidable, but the rest...your doctor needs to monitor your FT levels and adjust accordingly.

I eat raw cruciferous veggies. All the time. ALL the time. Why? Cuz my doc will adjust my incoming T1, T2, T3, and T4 accordingly. If your doc is using TSH and not looking at hormone levels, than you probably need to be more careful, cuz the list of foods hamper CONVERSION of T4 to T3...it binds the T4 in the bloodstream, thus halting/lowering conversion to T3 (the active thyroid hormone).

I love raw cruiciferous veggies and I'm not giving them up. It's my doctor's JOB to know enough to do FT's levels and to adjust accordingly.

Ms. Michaels is doing a great job getting info out to the public about hypothyroidism/autoimmune Hashimoto's...and since she is mainly based in California, a state that is difficult to find a doctor who will give all the replacement thyroid hormones, it might just help a lot to have her on 'our side'.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #5

Thank You Pam!

I'm seeing a new Endo next week.

Nice to see another JM fan here!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby55
I was wondering about nondairy coffee creamers . It says soy lecithin. I have low thyroid, and luv coffee.
Gabby55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
I think the health benefits of foods like raw veggies and berries outweigh the possible issues. As Pam says, meds can adjusted to account for those foods. Soy, on the other hand, doesn't have much in the way of health benefits and I think it tastes like you-know-what, personally. And of course most soy products are highly processed, which is something we should all avoid. So much better to skip it.
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmTreeGal View Post
I think the health benefits of foods like raw veggies and berries outweigh the possible issues. As Pam says, meds can adjusted to account for those foods. Soy, on the other hand, doesn't have much in the way of health benefits and I think it tastes like you-know-what, personally. And of course most soy products are highly processed, which is something we should all avoid. So much better to skip it.

Great post!

Pam
Old 04-20-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby55 View Post
I was wondering about nondairy coffee creamers . It says soy lecithin. I have low thyroid, and luv coffee.
I use half and half. I don't like fake creamers...some use almond milk for their coffee, it's non dairy and contains few carbs.

Pam
Old 04-21-2009, 03:05 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gabby55
Okay thanks. I have been using it for a long time and never thought much about it. Probably poisening my body all this time.
Gabby55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:02 AM   #11
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
i eat brocoli and all veggies ALL the time. huge staple in my diet. Also that list to be avoid is in a per bases kind of thing.. it doesnt affect every one. Other than soy, which i also avoid like the plague.. i can eat the tother things and also has a dr that lets me adjust accordingly.
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #12
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Okay thanks. I have been using it for a long time and never thought much about it. Probably poisening my body all this time.
Hey, we all have things we've used out of habit I know what you mean. I cannot for the life of me get my DH off of that stuff!!! He'll use milk or cream/half n half if we run out (I try to hide the creamer, heh heh) but he'll go back out and buy it! It's difficult to change one's diet habits, but this should be a good thing to change for you.

Pam
Old 04-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BeckyHayes
Stats: 180/160/135
WOE: just low-carb
Start Date: March 2009
I'm losing again -- thank heavens! I love the brassicas, too -- cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts. Never got super-attached to soy, but that's a good thing. Had corned beef and sauerkraut for dinner last night, but I had the flu on Sunday -- lost 3 pounds in two day -- and have decided to eat raw and eat lighter for a few days, or until I get sick of it and want my chicken pizza lasagna again. With the brassicas, though, I cook them.

As for poisoning... read Kevin Trudeau's books "Natural Cures THEY Don't Want You to Know About" and "More Natural Cures Revealed". Yes, I know what the FDA, AMA and the Justice Dept says about him -- that he's a troublemaker and a fraud. He's the king of infomercials, too. But when I asked my naturopath if what his books said was true, his reply was, "Every word." I decided to disregard the reputation of the messenger and use the message, besides which, I know that the only reason he's on the FDA and AMA's blacklist is because what he's saying is true, and they really DON'T want us to know about it.

After reading his books, I won't touch pork again. I used to love bacon and pork tenderloin, but never again. I learned that pigs eat whatever is in their path, under their nose -- if it's a dead animal like a rat, even if it's their own feces, they eat it. And their cells carry retroviruses that are NOT killed off in smoking, curing or cooking. AIDS is a retrovirus, but there are lots more. They just don't kill you as fast. They may, however, contribute to recurrent illnesses and a general lack of performance in the immune system, not to mention wreaking havoc in other body systems.

One more special note: Grocery store beef is finished on feed-lots where they are fed a mixture of grains designed to fatten them quickly. The grain mixtures OFTEN include SOY. Cows are not made to digest grain! They are ruminants and their systems are made for eating grass and other browse. If you can't afford to get organic beef, try to find beef that's raised and finished on grass. It may take some serious searching. Marty and I are moving to central Utah by the end of this year to start farming -- and we will be raising grass-fed, grass finished Lowline (miniature) Angus beef. Then we'll never eat grocery store beef again.

As for lists of ingredients on food package labels, watch out for anything that says "spices" or "natural and artificial flavors" -- they hide MSG in terms like that, as well as a host of other dangerous chemicals. In fact, there are over 15,000 chemical food additives that the FDA does NOT require to be included on the label! Scary, huh?

In spite of the "nutrition facts", we still don't know what we're eating and unlike in many other countries, we aren't taught about this stuff in any kind of school. The last time I heard about the nutrition pyramid was in 5th grade. We don't start to learn about true health and nutrition until a physical condition forces us to look it up and learn all we can about it. Most of us are self-taught about our health.

I have become an avid label-reader. If I can't pronounce it, the chances are good that it's something I don't want to put into my body. If the list of ingredients is too long for what the item seems to be, I put it back. You'd think tomato sauce would be tomatoes, water and maybe salt, right? No. Next time you go grocery shopping, be sure you have the time to read the labels on the foods you usually buy, and stay as far from heavily processed stuff as you can. It's nutrient content is zilch and what it contains is chemically added.

My hubby was addicted to coffee creamer, too -- he had to stop drinking coffee, switched to tea for his caffeine, and doesn't drink coffee all day long anymore. It's tough to get away from... that stuff tastes good! The problem is that it is quite literally addictive. That's how the food industry makes us buy what they want us to buy. Read Kevin Trudeau and the light of understanding will come on so strong and fast, it might blow the bulb.

I'm glad the public is starting to see what's really going on here and take charge of their own health.
BeckyHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 AM   #14
Thyroid Patient Advocate

You'd just think that my DH, with my having HIE (Hyper IgE Syndrome) and four other autoimmune diseases....he'd not TOUCH the creamer. Sigh.

Pam
Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: BeckyHayes
Stats: 180/160/135
WOE: just low-carb
Start Date: March 2009
Unfortunately, everyone thinks they are different, that what is bad for someone else won't be bad for them -- or not AS bad. To some extent, they're right, but when we're talking about poison, it's still poison, no matter who eats it. 99% of our DNA is identical -- only 1% accounts for all the differences between people. What this means is that what's poison for one is poison for all. The odds of a similar reaction to any poison are very high -- only the time it takes to hit will vary. My husband's constitution is much stronger than mine -- I have a very sensitive body. One of these days, his stuff will catch up with him, too.

We all eventually "get it" -- usually the hard way. Oh well... we can't learn other people's lessons for them. It would disempower them, if we could. I just have to let it be okay with me for Marty to learn his own lessons. That's how I avoid being a preachy nag.
BeckyHayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: PalmTreeGal
Stats: 181/123/115 @ 5'2
WOE: LC eclectic
Quote:
The problem with these is not so much the soy as the partially hydrogenated oils/trans fats they contain. Very very bad stuff. As I understand it soy PROTEIN is what binds thyroid hormone so the soy lethicin is not a big deal.
PalmTreeGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Monkee
Stats: Total Loss: -142 lbs
WOE: The Monkee Way :)
Start Date: Summer 08
I have a question...
I've been told that soybean oil destroys your thyroid, but have also been told that a little mayo is OK. My question is, how much mayo (made with soybean oil like Kraft Best Foods) is too much?

I've found myself using more mayo lately and don't want to over do it. I usually use 2-4 tablespoons daily.
Monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:37 AM   #18

It a YMMV kind of thing. Those of us medicated optimally, cant use a wee bit of the forbidden and not affect us.. If i eat a soy protein, bar, i want to fall asleep and I am pretty well medicated.

There are mayos made with olive oil.
Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 AM   #19

I notice that I have issues with cabbage. I tested this idea out last night. I ate some roasted cabbage...I immediately got that foggy feeling, sleepy, sweaty, etc... then I had to lay down...didn't get back up til this MORNING!
Old 04-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
[COLOR="Red"]Not a single Endo or doctor/PCP that I ever went to mentioned anything about foods to avoid. EVER! They handed me a prescription and that was the end of it til it was time to see them again.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]I have big issues with soy. I gained over 200 pounds as a vegetarian AND developed thyroid diease. I'm sure my soy-filled diet had a LOT to do with that. [/COLOR]

You said the vegetable I mentioned are "OK" when cooked. My question is this......if the option is "OK" it STILL doesn't mean OPTIMAL. It may REDUCE any negative effects, but omitting these foods mentioned might be OPTIMAL. This is just my own observation..I'm trying to do some research on the idea.

Yes, Jillian is a personal trainer...and she was successful in getting her clients to lose weight EVEN WHEN they were faced with major metabolic issues. She's done a lot of research...her book is worth reading to put things into perspective. It goes way, way beyond just hypothyroidism. It addresses all the problems our entire endocrine system is faced with due to poor quality of food, the environment, toxins, etc., etc.
me too me too me too
aim in Fla*working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 07:38 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by inatic View Post
It a YMMV kind of thing. Those of us medicated optimally, cant use a wee bit of the forbidden and not affect us.. If i eat a soy protein, bar, i want to fall asleep and I am pretty well medicated.

[COLOR="Red"]There are mayos made with olive oil[/COLOR].
i make my own and it FAR more delish!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: taylornicole<3
Stats: 110 pounds.
WOE: eat everythingg.
Okay, im 15, i was in the hospital last night for chest pain, and they came back & said they had no idea why i was having chest pain, but they told me i had hypothyriod. i have no idea what it is, & is it bad?
taylornicole<3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cocoanut
Stats: 274/215/140 5'4"
WOE: VLC to prevent diabetes
Start Date: Feb 2011
I can't eat Peanuts

Everyone is different. YMMV

The best way to find out if a particular food is causing problems is to try an allergy diet. Eliminate the suspected food(s) until symptoms are gone. Add 1 food back into your diet for a week. If symptoms do not return, add another food.

I don't limit the raw veggies, but I do try to eat them as far away from taking my meds as possible. I want to make sure I get as much med absorption as possible.

Peanuts are a food that I absolutely cannot eat. Any amount of peanut products will bring on the hypo symptoms within an hour.
cocoanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #24

Sorry for such a scare.

Did they tell you anything about it or how you are going to treat it.
Did they run labs.. ALWAYS from now on get the paper copies and save them.

It might be somewhat confusing but you can read some here at www.stoptheyroidmadness.com

Thyroid Disease Information - Hypothyroidism - Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Cancer - Autoimmune Disease - Hashimoto's - Graves' - Goiter - Nodules

and Thyroid Disease Information Source -- Bestselling Books, News, Information on Living Well With Hypothyroidism, Autoimmune Disease, Thyroid Diet, Home Page of Mary Shomon for starters..

Last edited by inatic; 09-20-2011 at 02:49 PM..
Old 09-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
I notice that I have issues with cabbage. I tested this idea out last night. I ate some roasted cabbage...I immediately got that foggy feeling, sleepy, sweaty, etc... then I had to lay down...didn't get back up til this MORNING!
Cooked cabbage will do it to me, too. But it's because nobody else in my house will eat it, so I end up eating the whole pot over a course of 3-4 days and then I crash.
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 03:05 PM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylornicole<3 View Post
Okay, im 15, i was in the hospital last night for chest pain, and they came back & said they had no idea why i was having chest pain, but they told me i had hypothyriod. i have no idea what it is, & is it bad?

Get a copy of the thyroid test results, just ask - they are yours to have. Post the results here, with the range for each test next to it (important for reference as different labs use different ranges). Hypothyroid means your thyroid is underactive/sluggish. TSH, Free T4, Free T3 and TPO Antibodies if they ran them.

The links Inatic put in there are excellent.

It's Very common. It very easily treated with replacement hormone (T4 and T3, sometimes T1 and T2). Hopefully you can find a doctor that will run the correct tests (above). If not, you can get them by signing up online with healthcheckusa and getting the Thyroid Panel II done (for the TSH, FT4 and FT3) and use code 12345 for a discount. It should be under $80.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 AM   #27
Administrator

Gallery: cheri
Stats: 150 + pounds lost - 4' 11"
You are only 15 years old.. You really need to discuss this with your parents and a doctor who specializes in hypothyroidism.. You can get suggestions here but please remember that no one here knows your medical history so do not take any of the suggestions (although these members know their stuff) as medical advice. Do let us know what your doctor suggests as a course of treatment he/she wants you to follow.

Take care!!

Cheri
cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: organic_donna
I'm hypothyroid after taking RAI treatment. I don't eat meat but I do eat Soy. Mostly Tofu not processed Soy. I also eat salads a lot. I love brussel sprouts. I eat my vegetables cooked except what I put in my salads. Is this diet bad for me?
organic_donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #29

soy is bad for thyroid
Old 10-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #30

soy is horrid for thyroid. Donna it might bind your incoming thyroid medication.