Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Thyroid (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/)
-   -   Good thyroid docs on Long Island? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/thyroid/604503-good-thyroid-docs-long-island.html)

Karen921 02-19-2009 12:03 PM

Good thyroid docs on Long Island?
 
Have hashimoto's, keep gaining weight, have brain fog, fatigue, etc. but 4 endos have told me my thyroid levels are fine. Combine this with menopause and it isn't pretty LOL. I saw on a recent posting that Pam recommended Dr. Linchitz in Glen Cove but he doesn't take insurance and the first consultation is $500. Will probably wind up there but if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.
Thanks,
Karen

Leo41 02-19-2009 01:20 PM

Karen-

My sister lives on Long Island and is in a situation similar to yours, but she's also diabetic. There's a list online (somewhere) that Mary Shoman compiled of thyroid docs recommended by patients. However, you'd have to be careful because there's a doc on the list that my sister consulted, and he was a total loser.

If you can wait a day, I might be able to PM you a name. I have a wonderful endo in Rockland County, and I have an appointment tomorrow with him. My sister wants me to ask if there's someone he'd recommend for her on Long Island (she has a demanding job that requires a lot of overtime so she really can't see a doctor far away). If my guy has a name, I'd be happy to share it with you, and if you're willing to travel to Rockland, I'll give you his name. too.

Karen921 02-19-2009 01:58 PM

Leo41-
Thanks for the info. Yes, please drop me a line if your sister gets the name of a good doc on Long Island.

Leo41 02-20-2009 07:10 AM

Karen-

I have a couple of names for you, but the board doesn't list an e-mail address for you, so I don't know how to contact you with this info.

If you'd like me to put it in a message like this, just let me know.

Karen921 02-20-2009 07:18 AM

Hi Leo,
My email address is Klumpkin5@aol.com. Thanks so much!!!

Leo41 02-20-2009 12:25 PM

Hi Karen-

Look for my message (just sent) in case it ends up in your spam folder. I have AOL too, and that sometimes happens to me with new correspondents.

Anita

inatic 02-21-2009 02:57 AM

Leo, it would help other patients in the NY area to have that listing, could you put it here?

TinaBina 02-21-2009 07:40 AM

I have been to or called and spoke to most of the Drs. on Mary Shomons list, most of them will not prescribe Armour or even Cytomel.

I now travel to CT, from western Suffolk Co. It takes me about an hour to get there, but I finally found a Dr. that I feel comfortable with and I am happy with my treatment.

I found my Dr. by contacting the Broda Barnes foundation, there were some Drs. from Long Island on the list, but the woman that I spoke with highly recommended this Dr. I think I had to pay about $15 for the list, but it was worth it. I found Mary Shomons list to be absolutely usless.

Karen921 02-23-2009 01:09 PM

Tina,
Have you heard of Dr. William Romero in Huntington/Dix Hills? I saw Pam had mentioned his names in one of her postings. Anybody on Long Island that you would NOT recommend?
Thanks,
Karen

TinaBina 02-23-2009 02:49 PM

Karen,

I would recommend calling the office and asking first if they do the tests that you want and if they prescribe the medications that you want. I was able to weed out alot of the drs. that way. I was seeing one Dr. in West Babylon for a while who yessed me to death, said he would do all the tests that I requested & said that he had no problem prescribing cytomel or armour, but when it came down to it he did neither. He did however, keep upping my dose of synthroid which I don't think did my adrenals any good in the long run.

I have heard of Dr. Romero from that list, I looked at his website & he does not test free t's, maybe he will do them if you request them.

There are a couple that I would NOT recommend, I don't know if I can post their names here though.

Karen921 02-23-2009 03:32 PM

Tina,
Thanks for the advice. Have you ever heard of Dr. Howard Brand?

TinaBina 02-23-2009 07:12 PM

Karen,

I never heard of him. How did you hear about him?

Karen921 02-23-2009 07:58 PM

Tina,
Leo41 responded to my posting about trying to find a doc on Long Island. She sees a doc
in Rockland County who recommended Dr. Brand. He is located in Stony Brook. I have just begun my "quest" to get help with my hashimoto's and alot of this info. is new to me. I know that a good doc will test TSH,T4 and T3, but what did you mean in your earlier posting by "free t's"? I am trying to gather as much information as possible so I can be prepared when I finally find a doctor who can help me.
Karen

Portia 02-23-2009 08:01 PM

I have heard very good things about Dr. Steve Rosman, at Prohealth in New Hyde Park. He is more of a complementary medicine guy - not an endo, but if you are getting nowhere with endos, I might give him a call and see if he might be a good fit. He does not take insurance, but is not $500 either.

Here is his website:

Home

Here is a quote from the site (also contains endo info):

I am an endocrinologist and a specialist in women's health here on Long Island. I have known Dr. Rosman and have partnered with him for many years. His knowledge of natural medicine and his treatment of hormonal conditions (including thyroid and adrenal conditions, pms, perimenopause, and menopausal conditions), have helped so many of my patients over the years. He is compassionate, expert in his field, concerned about his patients, and more than willing to cooperate with a patient's physicians when requested or needed. I value his medical opinion and do not hesitate to recommend my patients to him.


Karen Schwartz, MD

nonstickpam107 02-24-2009 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portia (Post 11611556)
I have heard very good things about Dr. Steve Rosman, at Prohealth in New Hyde Park. He is more of a complementary medicine guy - not an endo, but if you are getting nowhere with endos, I might give him a call and see if he might be a good fit. He does not take insurance, but is not $500 either.

Here is his website:

Home

Here is a quote from the site (also contains endo info):

I am an endocrinologist and a specialist in women's health here on Long Island. I have known Dr. Rosman and have partnered with him for many years. His knowledge of natural medicine and his treatment of hormonal conditions (including thyroid and adrenal conditions, pms, perimenopause, and menopausal conditions), have helped so many of my patients over the years. He is compassionate, expert in his field, concerned about his patients, and more than willing to cooperate with a patient's physicians when requested or needed. I value his medical opinion and do not hesitate to recommend my patients to him.


Karen Schwartz, MD

I've heard from four patients who each saw him ONCE. Likes to use homeopathic supplements and haven't had any comments on whether he uses Armour or Westhroid and/or goes by TSH only.

Portia, can you ask the patients you heard this info from if they are on Armour Thyroid? Or just supplements and special 'diet' and hypnotherapy?

Pam

nonstickpam107 02-24-2009 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen921 (Post 11611543)
Tina,
Leo41 responded to my posting about trying to find a doc on Long Island. She sees a doc
in Rockland County who recommended Dr. Brand. He is located in Stony Brook. I have just begun my "quest" to get help with my hashimoto's and alot of this info. is new to me. I know that a good doc will test TSH,T4 and T3, but what did you mean in your earlier posting by "free t's"? I am trying to gather as much information as possible so I can be prepared when I finally find a doctor who can help me.
Karen

Huge amounts of doctors have now been testing just total T3, T4 and TSH...and then they seem to just use the TSH test (or most do NO T3 testing at all).

T4 and T3 shows what's in your body...floating along....but FREE T4 and FREE T3 show what is USABLE, unbound. Much more helpful IF the doctor knows how to interpret those. I had a young doctor tell me once, after saying 'The TSH is low" and I asked 'Than why did you even BOTHER doing my Free's, cuz they tell the story...I'm very hypothyroid!" he said "I did those cuz you asked me to." ??? :confused:

Pam

Karen921 02-24-2009 06:28 AM

Hi Pam,
Thanks for the information. The better understanding I have about this the more prepared I will be when I finally find a good doctor. Regarding Portia's posting about Dr. Steve Rosman, the quote she included was by Karen Schwartz, MD. She was the 4th endo I saw and she didn't test my T3 and told me to "buckle down and stick to a diet" so I don't know how much stock I put in her recommendation of Dr. Rosman.
Karen

Karen921 02-24-2009 11:59 AM

Portia,
When I said "I don't kow how much stock I would put in her recommendation" of Dr. Rosman, I hope you know I wasn't referring to you but to Dr. Karen Schwartz. :)

Portia 02-24-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 (Post 11612081)
I've heard from four patients who each saw him ONCE. Likes to use homeopathic supplements and haven't had any comments on whether he uses Armour or Westhroid and/or goes by TSH only.

Portia, can you ask the patients you heard this info from if they are on Armour Thyroid? Or just supplements and special 'diet' and hypnotherapy?

Pam


I don't know the people well enough to ask - just heard him mentioned. Sorry! I know he works with some doctors and endos - maybe she could call and ask if he would work in conjuction? I was thinking of seeing him myself for nutritional etc.

Portia 02-24-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen921 (Post 11614410)
Portia,
When I said "I don't kow how much stock I would put in her recommendation" of Dr. Rosman, I hope you know I wasn't referring to you but to Dr. Karen Schwartz. :)

I got that - no problem. Sorry she was a disappointment as well. That's not encouraging with respect to Dr. Rosman, I agree.

Aja 02-25-2009 04:53 AM

Dr. Rosman
 
I have been to Dr. Rosman and have sent a few people to him, one with a thyroid condition. He has been very thorough knowledgeable and helpful.

Portia 02-27-2009 05:17 AM

Hi, Aja. Can I ask you a few questions about him?

Karen921 02-27-2009 08:48 PM

Very frustrated!! Before trying a fifth endo I figured I would go back to my PCP who happens to be a DO. I went prepared (or so I thought) with notes and told her all my symptons and how I thought my hashi's was the culprit. (She is the doctor that originally diagnosed me but chose "a wait and see" approach). She read the lab results from the last endo who, by the way, did not test my T3. I told her that I thought I needed my T3 tested and she said since my T4 was normal, she could tell I was converting to T3. Didn't make any sense to me, but I wasn't prepared to respond. (I guess I didn't do enough research). I thought she would want new labs, maybe check my iron and my ferritin, but alas, no. She gave me a prescrption for .25 synthroid since my TSH was slightly elevated (3.21) and thought some of my symptons were menopausal so she suggested I see my gyno about hormone replacement therapy. I guess I will have to find another doctor!
Karen

PurpleKellie 02-18-2010 07:25 PM

there is a good dr in bayside NY.. his name is Viny Kapoor look him....

carmeyeii 09-08-2012 01:50 PM

Reza Sabet
 
Hi,

I am going to see Dr. Reza Sabet on Monday. I have read some pretty good reviews online but none of them speak about him testing free T3 or being open to prescribing NDT. I really need to switch to NDT and am desperate to find someone who wants to listen to how I feel! :(

Laurie.E 02-15-2013 06:52 AM

Marie C. Gelato, MD, PhD, Endocrinologist, University Hosptial at Stony Brook, State University of Stony Brook, 26 Research Way, East Setauket, NY 11733, 516 444-0580. Does any one know this dr? Good reviews on Shomons list. I called but they want a referral letter???, not necessarily an insurance refer. I have hypothyroidism and looking for an endo to listen, try adjustments. Looking to feel less tired & lose weight possibly.

Lokarbiebarbie 02-15-2013 12:54 PM

I have name of one in New Jersey who is great.


Dr. Thomas Cacciola
403 Fairview Ave
Paramus, N.J. 07652
Phone: 201-261-8386
Fax: 201-261-8827

I do not know personally Dr. Gelato, but have known a couple of people on a T4/T3 combo seeing him...a few years ago.

Kat817 06-03-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 11596591)
Karen-

I have a couple of names for you, but the board doesn't list an e-mail address for you, so I don't know how to contact you with this info.

If you'd like me to put it in a message like this, just let me know.

Hi - I am interested in a new doctor as well. I used to go to Linchitz who then turned over his thyroid practice to his partner but I don't think my treatment is going that well. Thank you.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:06 AM.