Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Augirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Love this post! So happy you are feeling better as treatment goes on.

Pam
Ditto!!!!
Augirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2010, 08:06 PM   #182
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moopie86
I wouldn't be there without all of your help and support so thank you to all of you who encouraged me and helped me along the way!!
moopie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #183
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Plum
I am soooo glad I accidentally found this site!!

Oh I could just kiss each of you!! Thank you so much for sharing all of your stories! They have really been so helpful but more importantly inspiring to me!

I have been on synthetic thyroid since I was 19 y.o.! Synthroid and Levoxyl and cytomel.
I have Hashimotos. After begging for 6 months my endo has given me a prescription for Armour.

During the last year in one three week period I gained 17 pounds, nothing I did would release the weight. I have been on 60mg of Armour for 3 weeks now and almost all of the weight is off (10 pounds)with out me changing any of my daily habits! Did I mention the amount of ENERGY I have???? I'm no longer begging for naps from my 4 year old!!! I can keep up!!! and then some baby! (of course somedays are still better than others with that but nothing like before!!!)

However, and please know I am still having a love affair with Armour, I am noticing that my irritability is creeping back. That is the only signal I have that something is just not right, well that and I have a strange tingling sensations in my hands and feet. Oh and my hair is falling out. Okay, so I have a few signals that something is up. Granted I had hairloss on 125mcg of Levoxyl too.

I'm not sure where to go from here. Endo wants to see me back after three months on Armour but my body is saying it needs an adjustment. I don't want to go in and ask for a reduction (already been through the overdosed and under dosed, no dose fiascos of prescription thyroid...NO thank you) if all I need is to wait it out and maybe my body just needs time to adjust?? However, I have a little one who does not deserve in any way to have an irritable Mommy.

What else do I need to be doing? Someone mentioned calcium, another progesterone cream (which I have some and notice a difference when I use it, I use to take a compounded progesterone suppository vaginally for PMS and it helped tremendously. But since the birth of my baby.....no nasty PMS like before.)

HELP!!!!!! Please please pretty please with sugar or honey or agave on top. Do I need to add suppliments or get an adjustment with the amount of Armour? and oh, I hear of people splitting the dose.....I have always been taught that you have to have an empty stomach before you take your thyroid pill and then wait 4 hours before you eat anything besides water and black coffee???

Thank you thank you thank you!!! oh, and my dear old Dad wants to know if there is a connection between Rheumatoid Arthritis and Thyroid....anyone?

Last edited by Plum; 11-10-2010 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: forgot some things
Plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #184
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lindah
ARMOUR

I went to my dr today to switch from synthroid to armour and they refused to help me.
Does anyone know a dr. in the dayton area willing to prescribe armour?
I really want to try this as the other is helping....been on it 15 yrs and feel terrible.
would really appreciate any help..

thanks
Linda
lindah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindah View Post
I went to my dr today to switch from synthroid to armour and they refused to help me.
Does anyone know a dr. in the dayton area willing to prescribe armour?
I really want to try this as the other is helping....been on it 15 yrs and feel terrible.
would really appreciate any help..

thanks
Linda

Do you know what your recent lab results are, with ranges? Free T4 and Free T3 preferably.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:27 AM   #186
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: rutkowski517
Hi Plum,

I am so glad to hear your story about Armour success as I am going to switch soon. Before I switch, I am taking iron to increase my ferritin level and just wanted to let you know that it something you may want to look into. I believe it helps to distribute your thyroid meds better when you have good ferritin levels and mine at the low end of the normal range. You may want to check it out. I cannot raise my cytomel any higher without feeling hyper and yet my FT3 is low normal, so I think it is my ferritin being low. Thanks again for the inspiring story, cannot wait to try Armour! Do you chew yours up or just swallow?
Kris
rutkowski517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #187
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: RansomedHeart
Updates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYawker65 View Post
In Jan 2007 I began taking Synthroid 75mg to treat some thyroid goiters which had developed on my thyroid. Goiters are benign masses which have attached themselves to my thyroid. I was tested for hyper and hypo thyroidism and my doctor told me that I was negative for both although he did indicate that my metabolism was running "a little slow" but not slow enough that he wanted to put me on medicine. The purpose of taking Synthroid for me was to reduce the size of the Goiters. Otherwise I would have to have surgery to cut out 4 goiters from my left and right thyroid and would be on Synthroid for the rest of my life (and would also have to live with some very ugly scars on my neck).

I have been taking Synthroid for the last 11 months and starting about 4 months ago I began to lose my hair (large amounts of it!). It was also getting very thin. First I thought it was stress but I noticed after a while it wasnt getting better. I then realized that Synthroid had a side effect of hair loss in some people. Yikes! I also noticed that I was tired all the time and had brain fog that could easily be defined as borderline depression. You would of thought that Synthroid would of helped my situation right! Nope..It made it worse... I was sleeping all day. I am 70 pounds overweight. I gained most of the weight over the last 5 years because my goiters and thyroid problem went undiagnosed for so long. My doctor told me that I would likely lose weight on Synthroid... We'll...it didnt happen. I didnt lose an ounce.

This week I switched to 30 mg of Armour Thyroid and I've got to tell you, I am feeling absolutely wonderful. I am losing weight!! Its just coming off and I"m doing absolutely nothing! I feel wonderful! My neighbor was the first to notice the weight loss even before I did and she commented about it. (I thought she was delierous!) My disposition has changed entirely! I cant believe it. Gone is the brain fog and the depression seems to have gone away.. I actually laughed at myself yesterday when I started to think of how nice it would be to take up a hobby like ice skating! Whats going on here??? In regards to the hair problem...its still falling out but as we all know, it might take a few weeks for that to calm down so I will keep you informed..but my scalp feels different too since I started taking this. When I was taking synthroid, my scalp feet "numb and dead"...no activity. Oils were collecting on my head quite quickly... Since I've been on the Amour, I feel my scalp again and the oil problem is not there. I'll let you know in a few weeks what happens..but I am optimistic.

Overall, I am very grateful for the switch..I had to recommend Armour to my doctor. It never occured to her for me to try it (what on earth were they thinking?? ) They think its old fashioned but I've got to tell you... I feel like I have NO THYROID PROBLEM AT ALL... I am almost disgusted they didnt put me on this first. (Maybe I should have gone to medical school!

I love how I feel on this... I hope the hair problems stops... Will keep you posted...
Oh How I feel so sad when there are no further updates
RansomedHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #188
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hotnikelsme
from generic synthroid to Armour thyroid

Hello everyone!

My doctor just recently switched me from levothyroxine (generic synthroid) to Armour Thyroid. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism Dec 20 something 2010. My levels were good when they checked them in February. I felt better the first 2 weeks or so, but then i was constantly tired, the same old icky symptoms.Every time they check, my TSH was at 1.30 etc. so this time, when I began to really go downhill, I actually even gained a few lbs, tired, migraines all over, etc. The doctor came in and said (I was hoping my levels were off bc I needed an explanation of how I was feeling). He had a sorry type look, and said your level is at a normal range and I am like I swear I am not crazy I feel like crap. Constipation, moodiness, sluggishness were just out of control. He said just listen to this. When he diagnosed his wife, he got her on the generic synthroid. levels were normal, but her symptoms did not change. So he tried the brand, since some people for some reason respond better to the brand than generic. a few months later, retest, her levels-normal but symptoms were there. He said he switched her to Armour and in some time, her issues were better. He said synthroid works fine (my mom takes it so I asked am I going to be taking that) with some people, but it only works with the t4. So while it makes adjustments, the TSH stabilizes, but people still have the symptoms, probably because the T3 is, to be better put it, not worked with. My mom on the other hand, does great with it. Armour thyroid was a more no no because of the bone density effects it can cause and with her conditions, just will hurt other aspects, but synthroid for her is working great. For me, it lowered my TSH, but my smptoms still all over the place. So he said, most likely the brand will not make a difference, let's just try Armour just to save time since I have been miserable long enough. And honestly, I have to admit, things are starting to look up, but I have to wait and see. I am just curious to see how it works...hope everyone is doing well.

Nicole
hotnikelsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:18 AM   #189
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: TiffanyMcD
A South FL Doc who "gets it"

Hi Friends,
I was diagnosed with Hypothyrodism last fall after years of feeling unwell. After 6 months on Synthroid, my labs were good, but I felt worse than ever.

I just turned 40 and had unbelievable fatigue, depression and my weight keeps creeping up.

After a bad appointment with the GP where she insinuated my issues were in my head, I did a lot of research and found a great endocronologist down here.

Dr. Gary Pepper has a fantastic resume. Having spent most of his career in NYC, he was named one of the Top 100 Doctors in NYC. He's contributed to the "Stop the Thyroid Madness" website and has his own impressive website. Just google his name.
He is "Pro-Armour". He also prescribes Cytomel if needed.

I previously tested negative for Hashi's but he gave me a second, different test after my exam indicated I may have Hashi's. A total overlook on the part of my GP.

I've just started Armour and am waiting for test results on Hashi's. But he's a great doc who not only follows labs, but listens to the symptoms of the patient.

His information is:
Dr. Gary Pepper
1515 N Flagler Dr.
Ste 430
West Palm Beach, FL
561-659-6336

He also has a practice in Jupiter FL.

For feedback on him, google his name and NY. That is where the bulk of his career was spent. If you google him in FL, there isn't much.

Good luck fellow Hypos!
Tiffany
TiffanyMcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #190
trn
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: trn
Armour

Can anyone recommend an endocrinologist that is pro-armour in the south jersey area? I go to one that just put me on armour but it was me who came up with it and he basically just brushed my finding off.
trn is offline   Reply With Quote