LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 06:36 AM   #151
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Iffy336
WOE: LC
Start Date: restart 1/21
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Those who have hypothyroidism depend on incoming thyroid hormone for helping give them more energy, be more alert, and overall 'normalize' their metabolism. For most it means they can work out every other day, sustain longer work outs, walk further with less effort, therefore they lose bodyfat percentage as long as they eat a very good diet. Most of us switching from T4 synthetics to Armour Thyroid notice our body temperature normalizing (coming up) and our skin less dry, TOM less heavy, ability to sustain activity necessary to bring heart rates up and bodyfat percentages down. Most see a real difference after about six months of Armour Thyroid usage (as long as the doc is keeping an eye on FT4, FT3 and adjusting every six to eight weeks as necessary).

Pam
Agree! When I was on synthetics and "within normal range" I had no stamina and couldn't do weights/conditioning. I would be wiped out and my muscles felt very fatigued.

On a side note - I also developed plantar fasciitis last year before on Armour - this year did not get it and I have the same job where I am on my feet all day and walking on hard floors (cement with tile) and running after students - lol

I have less joint and muscle pain, less aches, I feel better mentally - the brain fog and confusion is minimal now - I still have a lot of while on the Levoxyl.

So not sure if Armour would alter the weight loss versus a synthetic but it does make me feel a lot better all around so I can actually exercise almost every day if I wanted to and not need 3 days to recuperate after 30 minutes of moderate walking.
Iffy336 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #152
ew1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ew1
I may need to tweak my dosage as it is cold here in PA and I notice my arthritis is kicking up in my foot and I am more tired. Common experience??

ETA:
Quote:
The adrenals make cortisol. When the adrenals don't work/fatigued/just plain exhausted, you must replace the cortisol they would make (people with low adrenals must get the adrenals adjusted FIRST, BEFORE they can benefit from thyroid hormone).
Pam, where can I get a cortisol test done? I want the one that does it every few hrs, the hospital lab only does the once and done one. I had major stress between Aug and December (job related, it's since been resolved ) and I wonder if that is part of my problem?
I have an Rx for my thyroid tests and will probably go this weekend unless it snows or something.

Last edited by ew1; 02-02-2009 at 10:29 AM..
ew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #153
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
You can ask a doctor for a 4x in one day salivary cortisol kit.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shell91320
WOE: Induction/dreaming of OWL
Start Date: Nov 2004
Question for Pam

Hi Pam,
I started synthroid last August, and immediately got pregnant. (About 2-3 weeks after I started taking it). I took it all through my pregnancy, and had a healthy baby girl in May. After I had the baby, my weight dropped down with no effort at dieting to about 10 lbs less then my pre-pregnancy weight. However, as soon as I started taking the pill again, my weight loss stopped, and I have been struggling to keep my weight from going back up again. The pill I take is mostly progesterone, but every time I take the pill I gain weight. I thought maybe the synthroid would offset that somehow, but it hasn't. It seems like on the thread you had said taking progesterone with thryroid hormone was a good combination. I started taking synthroid because my thyroid levels were low and my ability to lose weight had dramatically come to a halt. Do you have any recommendations? Do you think I would need to go off the pill to be able to lose again?
Old 02-11-2009, 02:04 AM   #155
Thyroid Patient Advocate

shell, you mean a birth control pill?? None of them have any progesterone in them. They have a chemical called progeSTIN in them...made by a lab...that's not progesterone, and it binds thyroid hormone.

I'm not talking about birth control, I was talking about bioidentical HRT progesterone. What are your recent FT4, FT3 test results (with lab ranges please)?

Pam
Old 02-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #156
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: gogators
wanting to switch to armour

I have been to 4 doc begging to be put on armour..on the 17th i will inform the doc that i am not keaving his office w/out the script..
i hope this is a good idea...HELP
gogators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #157
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: shell91320
WOE: Induction/dreaming of OWL
Start Date: Nov 2004
Hi Pam,

I haven't been back to the doctor who originally prescribed the synthroid since my pregnancy, so I do not have currentT4, T3 numbers. I would have to call the doctor to get the lab results at that time, I don't remember the exact numbers. What I do remember is that at the time my T4 number was 20 points below the low end of the lab range. Here's another question for ya, can you use HRT for birth control?

Last edited by shell91320; 02-11-2009 at 01:37 PM..
shell91320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #158
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogators View Post
I have been to 4 doc begging to be put on armour..on the 17th i will inform the doc that i am not keaving his office w/out the script..
i hope this is a good idea...HELP
Depends on the doctor, you can't bully them (lol I WISH!). Unless you are sure this doc DOES Rx. it.

Pam
Old 02-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #159
Thyroid Patient Advocate

BHRT is not used for birth control. You poor younger women are stuck with not a very good choice for that. I do believe though, there's Nuvaring, which restricts most of the hormone to the source, not through blood stream. So, that's a better choice than pills. BUT still not a whole lot of choice.

Pam
Old 02-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #160
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: grandmato3
The compounded progesterone is so very fine...it's like 'night and day' vs. the OTC, and you'd be very pleased with it if you like the OTC. Any addition of sex hormones binds a part of thyroid hormone incoming, and if a doc Rx's hormones, they usually run tests every so often and up the thyroid if needed

Pam[/QUOTE]

Hello, butting in here. I am curious about adding progesterone in balancing hormones. Have I misinterpeted my internet reading that getting the thyroid levels at a good place first is key. I read that the other sex hormones will fall into place as well upon getting thyroid optimized. I have been without a menses for 1 1/2 years, (51 yrs. young), I admit to totally loving that. In using progesterone, will that start a cyle again, and is that like starting all over with going through menopause?
grandmato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hannahrose123
I am too wondering if I get my thyroid levels optimized if that will help my hormones.
I haven't had my period for a year now and I don't know of its because my t4 is so high and my t3 is so low.

Hopefully when I get on the cytomel that will help to balance out my hormones.
hannahrose123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #162
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: grandmato3
I am thinking it is a good thing to get the thyroid levels up first. I know when I used progesterone in the past, I had to lower synthroid, or at least that is what we did, maybe it should of been the other way around. I wish I knew....but that is my plan, one demon at a time, thyroid first.

The T3 reaching higher levels will be a good thing, hope that is your ticket to health.

Last edited by grandmato3; 02-18-2009 at 05:35 PM..
grandmato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:40 PM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Locarb4me
Stats: 200/182/150
WOE: Low Carbish
Start Date: 6/12/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahrose123 View Post
I am too wondering if I get my thyroid levels optimized if that will help my hormones.
I haven't had my period for a year now and I don't know of its because my t4 is so high and my t3 is so low.

Hopefully when I get on the cytomel that will help to balance out my hormones.
Have you ever seen this site? They have a lot of info there that might be beneficial to you.

Stop the Thyroid Madness - The truth about thyroid and thyroid treatment
Locarb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hannahrose123
Yes I have, Ive been getting a lot of my information from that site.

I just got an ACTH test done last week and today we are looking at the results of that, and if my adrenals are fine he is going to put my on a t4/t3 combo.

Hopefully it will help.

Thanks.
hannahrose123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:52 AM   #165
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: poordad
Doctor in Fort Wayne

Quote:
I don't know where you are...but there is a really good Synthroid/Cytomel combo doc in Dublin OH. I lived in PA then OH for about 14 years, and the entire time I went completely UNtreated (which led to me acquiring several other autoimmune diseases) so I know what those two states are like for thyroid disease sufferers.

Your best best (if you are near OH/in OH) is to call DO's (Doctors of Osteopathy, there are a lot of them in that area because there are schools in that area.). If you are going to travel to Toledo (where I don't know of ANY really good thyroid doctors, but know of several who put themselves on the Armour list to get patients!), than keep travelling another hour to Ft. Wayne to my doctor, heh heh. There are people flying in from all over to see my thyroid doc.

Pam

I live in Fort Wayne and I am having trouble finding a doctor could you let me know who this is.

Thanks
poordad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #166
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Fort Wayne Endocrinology, Dr. Ashok Kadambi (although his NP is just great and don't hesitate to have make appt. with her (Kathy) if that's offered.

Pam
Old 10-12-2010, 03:43 AM   #167
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: inatic
Stats: 182+/126 5'4 51!yo 16/4 *5* kidlets later!
WOE: Coach:Erik Ledin leanbodies consulting
Start Date: LowER C since 2/02 wt training 10/15/02
(jealous you get to see the best dr!!)
inatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:06 AM   #168
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I only see him about um...every year or less now. But we spent a tough ten years 'together'. LOL Now he's got me so 'figured out' I just see my PCP to get a Rx. for ERFA Armour from Canada.

Pam
Old 10-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Wondering if he'd clone himself and come to CA, lol.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 AM   #170
Thyroid Patient Advocate

We're all holding our breath here in Indiana...waiting for him to announce his retirement. He does a lot of things along the same lines as Holtorf though...so it's good we have someone 'savvy'. There is another very 'famous' thyroid doc here in IN but he's in South Bend...quite a ways away and wouldn't have the time to take on more patients.

Thank goodness I worked on getting my PCP 'up to speed' for Rx'ing for me...and I hear now he is Rx'ing ERFA and Armour for others. And he knows the 'correct' tests. I don't think he would have been able to do a lot for me at the start of all my illness though.

Pam
Old 10-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #171

pam you need to 'train' more drs!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:16 PM   #172
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I'm doing it in a new roundabout way. I train the smart people here at LCF first!

Pam
Old 10-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slmunoz
WOE: LC
Exactly!!!
slmunoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #174

Quote:
I'm doing it in a new roundabout way. I train the smart people here at LCF first!

Pam
ya but we need more drs to send all these enlightened people too!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #175
Thyroid Patient Advocate

If some don't stop self medicating and helping others procure without an RX. we won't have ANY doctors to go to. Stuff happens and then all of us have to suffer.

Yeah..you would think that more newer docs coming out of school would want to learn more too, wouldn't you? (Or really that takes so much extra schooling and all they want to do is run out and get a job and start paying the student loans).

pam
Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: moopie86
My first three weeks of being on Armour after never having any T3 and being on Synthroid for years, I lost 6lbs. It was mostly water weight - my rings got loose, I had ankles again, and my face wasn't as puffy (I didn't even realize I was puffy, how depressing, lol)

I have been on Armour adjusting the dose to give me less T4 and adding Cytomel because my T3 is too low. I am amazed at the results.

Since June, (and mind you, I am still underactive with low T3 - we are moving up slowly) for the first time in my life having a doc who will realize T3 is an issue, I have lost 35lbs. I eat pretty much the same way I did, and I am exercising a little more, since I now have the energy to do so.

I'm still working on my lipids but they are going down This is not mentioning any of the other awful symptoms I had so terribly, which are now on their way out the door. I am such a fan of Armour. It's been a miracle for me!
moopie86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #177

how wonderful!
Old 10-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Dharma
Stats: 180/169/145
WOE: NO grains/starches/sugar
Start Date: January 6, 2011
I'm actually not losing a lb a week as I previously thought. I lost 4 lbs when I went back on low carb, but the last two weeks I've maintained.

I decided to split my Armour into 3 doses like you said, Ilene. I feel better today already. My heart's not pounding and I feel calmer.
Dharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:58 PM   #179

glad that worked.
likely you needed the meds, just too much at once.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #180
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopie86 View Post
My first three weeks of being on Armour after never having any T3 and being on Synthroid for years, I lost 6lbs. It was mostly water weight - my rings got loose, I had ankles again, and my face wasn't as puffy (I didn't even realize I was puffy, how depressing, lol)

I have been on Armour adjusting the dose to give me less T4 and adding Cytomel because my T3 is too low. I am amazed at the results.

Since June, (and mind you, I am still underactive with low T3 - we are moving up slowly) for the first time in my life having a doc who will realize T3 is an issue, I have lost 35lbs. I eat pretty much the same way I did, and I am exercising a little more, since I now have the energy to do so.

I'm still working on my lipids but they are going down This is not mentioning any of the other awful symptoms I had so terribly, which are now on their way out the door. I am such a fan of Armour. It's been a miracle for me!
Love this post! So happy you are feeling better as treatment goes on.

Pam