Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #91
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicsmom View Post
Hi Pam! I just wanted to give you a shout out. It's been a long time!

I'm seeing a new doc because I relocated out of state and this guy is wonderful. He's added T4 to my regimen with Synthroid. I am taking 120 mg. of Armour, and it's just not getting me enough T4. Next blood draw is in early January. He's got me on a regimen of vitamins and a bunch of other stuff, along with bio-identical estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. After the next blood draw, I'll post to you.
Hey! Yeah it HAS been a long time! So, how do you feel with the bio identicals and all?? Sounds like you feel better already, and I sure hope that IS the case! Great to 'see' ya.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2007, 05:20 AM   #92
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locarb4me View Post
That is the doctor who sent me a fax with the lab work they want to see. Oh brother...another waste of time and money.
Well, maybe not...just cuz the website is pushing test. and estrogens and no mention of progesterone doesn't mean they don't do it I suppose. But I certainly can't see NOT doing a test for progesterone..you need to ask WHY (and kind of 'feel them out' about using progesterone and why they didn't do testing for it). Many docs have their 'own' lab values (so it's a 'secret' and you can't just run to another lab/doctor).

You also have a right to ask to talk to other 'satisfied' customers/patients (and make sure you ask to talk to the ones who also have thyroid disease...doesn't do a whole lot of good to talk to women who don't have the same process going on).

My doctor does progesterone FIRST, then estradiol/estriol, and after the patient is 'well settled' on that regimen, he may add testosterone...and keep in mind that the best way to go is to 'bypass' the liver...meaning whenever you can use transdermal (rubbed on skin) instead of oral...it's a better way to go. Oral estrogens and progesterones have to use the liver...and transdermals do not. I wouldn't ever take oral testosterone...I used vaginal cream for a little while but it tended to have a few too many 'side effects' for me.

Pam
Old 12-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #93
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: minnymouse8
New Here

Hello Everyone,

I'm new here and have been reading this blog for a couple of weeks now. I think I've gone through almost all the pages with success in understanding thyroid lingo.

In any event, I'd like to share my story -- if you don't mind. I'd like to share it because I have noticed no one has mentioned thyroid cancer. However, someone did mention goiters are non- cancerous.

I have a family history of thyroid disease. My mother started Armour thyroid medication at the age of 12, she is 72 now. My father's mother had hyperthyroidism and had hers removed. My older sister suffers from hypothyroidism, and my younger sister had most of her thyroid removed after experiencing hyperthyroidism. And me... I got thyroid cancer!

I'd like to make note that while thyroid cancer is considered to be rare it is growths or goiters where the cancer cells form and grow. Today the terminology is called nodules.

I've always known about Armour thyroid because it was the medication my mother always took, everyday. Then many years later after my younger sister had her thyroid removed, she too became hypo and needed medication. Synthroid was the common medication of choice and that is what was prescribed.

My mother eventually sought out the medical attention of my younger sister's endo. and he too prescribed my mother Synthroid. If she tells the story -- she will swear the doctor of my sister tried to kill her with that stuff. But I'm telling the story and can say she went right back to Armour.

My younger and older sisters both take Synthroid -- they've been on the stuff for years. But, when it came to me, I had a large growth on the right side of my neck. My endo. ordered blood tests and a biopsy. I went to the hospital and had the blood work. Then had a long needle inserted into my neck along side an ultrasound. that sucked!

My Thyroid levels all came back NORMAL! And yet, my cells in the nodule were cancerous. I then scheduled surgery. Of course I had to find a good surgeon and that took going to a pharmacy and asking the local pharmacist who in the neighborhood is good at cutting out the thyroid without damaging the nerves to the throat or voice. I was then headed to the best surgeon's office, where I scheduled my surgery the following week. Halloween morning to be exact I lucked out with that gifted surgeon!

I had a terrible time, I had an allergic reaction to the anesthetics, throwing up a lot of nothing while I had a new incision in the base of my neck. This was only the start of a nightmare waiting to explode.

After my release, I was then placed on the medication Cytomel. Later I found out that is an only T3 medication. Which means I was given food on my plate but my refrigerator is empty.

I had my blood checked and a couple days later my Endo. called and told me my TSH level was through the roof and my thyroid T's were reading at 0. Needless to say I felt pretty bad. At this point my doctor wanted me to go on Synthroid to stabilize me. I still am not done with treating the cancer part of the thyroid. Removal is only part of it.

I decided to wait to have what is called I-131, a radioactive iodine treatment given in the hospital. One takes this medication to kill off remaining thyroid cells that could be cancerous. We are lucky that thyroid cells are different from the rest of the cells in our body - they soak up iodine, thus using this information and injecting a killing agent into the iodine and feeding it to remaining thyroid tissue. Of course once this is given, one must stay away from others for a couple to a few days, or they may kill off the thyroid of those who come into contact with them.

I took Synthroid, even though I was very concerned with how it affected my mother. Everything seemed to be fine...at first. Then without warning - (2 Weeks later) I became a monster! Everyone I came into contact with really pissed me off, although I never really knew why. Maybe they looked at me the wrong way, or glared at me from the corner of their eye. Cut me off driving on the highway, or honked their horn, Of course I took this as a personal attack, and KNEW they were purposely trying to irritate me.

I called my Endo. and without hesitation referred to Synthroid as "Evil" and requested to be put on Armour. My doctor disagreed with me, but I was being bold with my new found attitude and reminded him that we are talking about my life, not his ego. I take a active roll in my well being and he of course would be irresponsible to deny me any type of medication (Even if it is of my own choosing). After all I have no thyroid at all to produce anything - without further delay, my endo. prescribed me 30 mg of Armour to be taken twice a day for 1 week and then doubling that the following week. We will then go from there, but I must say, I can't understand why Endocrinologist don't prescribe Armour if Armour really works for the patient? Furthermore, if my Blood work looks within the "Normal" rage and I feel horrible, I think it is advisable for the patient to insist his or her doctor take that into account when deciding the dosage factor.

Thank you for reading my story -- I'm still learning, and will always take an active roll in my well being. Living without my body producing any thyroid has been no picnic, and neither is dealing with thyroid cancer, but to have to suffer because of a irresponsible physician in a day of modern medicine is absolutely sad, and I won't have any part of an irresponsible doctor.

BTW -- I now get along with others again!
minnymouse8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:09 PM   #94
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: dooy
Stats: 1/4/13 173/125/120
WOE: hcg homeopathic drops
Minnymouse! Thanks for sharing your story!!!
dooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:32 AM   #95
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Great post minnymouse. My Mother had a rare endocrine/thyroid disorder...she died from Hashimoto's Encephalopathy. Which is just one of many reasons why I am a thyroid patient advocate

I know many who've had THYCA (thyroid cancer) and know the patient must be totally suppressed to ward off recurrence of cancer. Patients CAN be treated with both synthetic T4/T3 and/or natural thyroid. One of which is Armour Thyroid.

It's just that THYCA is not as 'prevalent' as Hashimoto's (98% of all women who have thyroid disease have this autoimmune disease), and 'most' THYCA patients get good suppressive treatment, even when using synthetics (you got a doctor who didn't 'get it' and gave only one or the other thyroid hormone).

I'm glad you are on Armour, and that it eased the psychological symptoms of thyroid disease for you...you'll feel even better as your dosage goes up I imagine (I'm on 3 grains...I still HAVE a thyroid, but it looks like a little shriveled walnut on the ultrasound screeen...Hashimoto's antibodies attack and kill the thyroid, so most of us end up with essentially 'no' thyroid hormones too).

You should know that Armour Thyroid is a natural porcine (pig) source of thyroid hormone and cannot be patented. Synthroid and Cytomel are synthetics, made in laboratory, and are patented (read: making money! here) and many doctors only do TSH (terrible thing!) and don't do Free T4 and Free T3 so they can't fathom how to 'adjust' the dosage (dosage of Armour is done by reading the Free T's, not by TSH alone...Armour 'shoves' the TSH down fast but takes awhile to raise FT's). Those doctors shoud be pointed to this website: Armour Thyroid Official Site

Pam
Old 12-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Locarb4me
Stats: 200/182/150
WOE: Low Carbish
Start Date: 6/12/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Well, maybe not...just cuz the website is pushing test. and estrogens and no mention of progesterone doesn't mean they don't do it I suppose. But I certainly can't see NOT doing a test for progesterone..you need to ask WHY (and kind of 'feel them out' about using progesterone and why they didn't do testing for it). Many docs have their 'own' lab values (so it's a 'secret' and you can't just run to another lab/doctor).

You also have a right to ask to talk to other 'satisfied' customers/patients (and make sure you ask to talk to the ones who also have thyroid disease...doesn't do a whole lot of good to talk to women who don't have the same process going on).

My doctor does progesterone FIRST, then estradiol/estriol, and after the patient is 'well settled' on that regimen, he may add testosterone...and keep in mind that the best way to go is to 'bypass' the liver...meaning whenever you can use transdermal (rubbed on skin) instead of oral...it's a better way to go. Oral estrogens and progesterones have to use the liver...and transdermals do not. I wouldn't ever take oral testosterone...I used vaginal cream for a little while but it tended to have a few too many 'side effects' for me.

Pam
Ok well, I'm printing out your reply to take with me to my first appt with them, which is the 26th. If this doctor turns out to be a clueless moron, I'm going to be so upset!
Locarb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:37 PM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi minnymouse and wow! what a story! I'm a cancer survivor too, but nothing as dramatic as yours. I must say, I admire your spunk and attitude!!

I've never heard about the emotional or rage side effects of Synthroid but it would explain a lot about my mental state for about 15 yrs or so....
Old 12-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #98
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locarb4me View Post
Ok well, I'm printing out your reply to take with me to my first appt with them, which is the 26th. If this doctor turns out to be a clueless moron, I'm going to be so upset!
Well, maybe you should just call them, talk to their nurse, or medical assistant/NP, whatever in 'how' they treat. Just because MY doctor did it that way, doesn't mean they use his methodology. If they don't do the progesterone, ASK WHY. Part of the patient being 'proactive' is to do your homework first. Anyone at my doc's office would answer my questions. The first thing I always ask at the end of my first appointment or testing is:

1. How are you planning on treating me? Blood tests, salivary test, etc?
2. I'm interested in being replaced on transdermal BHRT...and using progesterone to help my low thyroid.
3. I'm not interested in your testosterone until I'm pretty balanced on my estradiol and progesterone first, maybe it's something we can 'shoot towards'. And I need to see my FT's once any hormone is 'added' to my schedule.

Pam
Old 12-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well, maybe you should just call them, talk to their nurse, or medical assistant/NP, whatever in 'how' they treat. Just because MY doctor did it that way, doesn't mean they use his methodology. If they don't do the progesterone, ASK WHY. Part of the patient being 'proactive' is to do your homework first. Anyone at my doc's office would answer my questions. The first thing I always ask at the end of my first appointment or testing is:

1. How are you planning on treating me? Blood tests, salivary test, etc?
2. I'm interested in being replaced on transdermal BHRT...and using progesterone to help my low thyroid.
3. I'm not interested in your testosterone until I'm pretty balanced on my estradiol and progesterone first, maybe it's something we can 'shoot towards'. And I need to see my FT's once any hormone is 'added' to my schedule.

Pam
See, that's why I love you! I don't know what I don't know. Heck, I'm not even too sure I understand why you'd ask those questions yet! I haven't had time to research much in this area. What little I know is from Schwarzbein's book.

At any rate, thank you again and I've added those questions to the ones I'm printing out for next Tuesday. Bless you! Merry Christmas too, if I don't talk to you again before then.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:54 PM   #100
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Quote:
Hey! Yeah it HAS been a long time! So, how do you feel with the bio identicals and all?? Sounds like you feel better already, and I sure hope that IS the case! Great to 'see' ya.

Pam
Well, I haven't been on the bio identicals long enough this time around. I took them when I was in CA and did feel like my cognitive function improved. I think it will be a little while before I start to feel the effect of it. There have been a lot of issues with me recently. My fibromyalgia meds stopped working for me and I had to suffer with that until I got on a new one, and I do mean suffer. The new one is working to a point. I'm taking a new supplement of Ribose and Magnesium, which is supposed to be a natural treatment for fibro. It takes a month before you feel the full effect, though. I hope it works. If it does, I can get off the Lyrica.

My new doctor runs a test I've never heard of. What is reverse T3?

Terry
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #101
Committed to Succeed

minnymouse
Old 12-22-2007, 07:01 AM   #102
Thyroid Patient Advocate

My doc runs reverse T3 too...and it shows if 'most' of the T3 you are getting is going to RT3 or usable T3. Some docs put a lot of store in it, some don't. My doc lets me tell HIM when I feel better (and that's whan my FT3 is between 3/4 and top of range, no matter WHAT my dang FT4 (very low) and TSH (very, very low) look like. But docs don't usually run RT3 unless they either ONLY give T3 to the patient or when they think that low of a T4 (on Armour/natural products) is not a good thing (they aren't the patient, it will ALL depend on how YOU feel).

I lost all my fibro when I had my FT3 stabilized top of range and enough progesterone and estradiol to satisfy my hormone balance. Oddly enough, testosterone in any form made my muscles/bones ache, go figure.

Pam
Old 12-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ok, Pam. I met the new doctor today.

Finally, a doctor who knows that diets don't work and that eating fat is good for you!

We didn't talk an awful lot about thyroid but she put me on Lugol's because she said it will help with the Hashi's. She definitely knows her stuff about thyroid, though. She gave me several good sites and some excellent literature written by herself or like-minded researchers (not pharmaceutical company propaganda like most offices hand out).

She gave me a testosterone pellet in the hip and had a specially-compounded estradiol/estriol/progesterone bioidentical cream made up at the pharmacy.

I liked her a lot. I told her about Taubes' book too and she said she will go get a copy.

Doncha know, I got in a hurry and forgot those questions you suggested. (my little granddaughter showed up unexpectedly just as I was getting ready and totally distracted me ).

I'm looking forward to seeing how having hormones again feels

Oh and she sent me home with a saliva test kit. She said based on my questionnaire that it sounds like I may have some degree of adrenal exhaustion too.

Last edited by Locarb4me; 12-26-2007 at 05:36 PM..
Old 12-26-2007, 05:55 PM   #104
Thyroid Patient Advocate

That's why you address adrenals (and test) before you add ANY hormones. So, if you feel 'knocked out' or stressed after a few days of those hormones, it could very well be adrenal problems. Oh, and you might want to ask her...I've never ever been able to be on ANY hormones while testing my adrenals (and have always had docs take us OFF hormones before testing). Did she want you to test BEFORE you start on them? (confusing). I will not comment on taking iodine if you have autoimmune Hashimoto's..you can research on that yourself.

Pam
Old 12-26-2007, 09:54 PM   #105
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I will not comment on taking iodine if you have autoimmune Hashimoto's..you can research on that yourself.
Ya mean something like this?
Thyroid and Iodine - Part 2 - Thyroid Problems: Information About Thyroid Disease, Hypothyroidism, Hyperthyroidism and Thyroid Disorders on MedicineNet.com

One drop per day in a glass of water is what she recommended. I think maybe I'll just put the Lugol's away for now.

Well.....I guess I'm not so impressed now.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:42 AM   #106
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I got that a lot from naturopathic doctors. You see, our thyroids use iodine to make our thyroid hormones out of. BUT..the last known case of iodine deficient hypothyroidism in the USA was about 55 years ago. The major cause of most cases (98% of all women who HAVE hypothyroidism have autoimmune Hashimoto's) of hypothyroidism in women is autoimmune. So...if the thyroid is being destroyed by antibodies attacking it, then how is it going to utilize iodine to make hormones with?

I've asked that question of all sorts of doctors and they just can't answer me (the ones who give iodine). Some have shown me medical texts that outline iodine deficient hypothyroidism..yet the date of the last known case was years and years ago. If the thyroid is being systematically destroyed by antibodies, it can't make any hormones.

The best way to treat Hashimoto's is to replace the missing T4 and T3 hormones as the thyroid is destroyed over time by the antibody reaction. Does this doctor prescribe Armour Thyroid?

You need to also keep in mind that when you are taking estradiol, estrogens, progesterone and testosterone that those hormones actually bind a percentage of the thyroid hormones in the bloodstream...so as you add those, you need to check FT's and replace those hormones too.

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 12-27-2007 at 11:44 AM..
Old 12-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
The best way to treat Hashimoto's is to replace the missing T4 and T3 hormones as the thyroid is destroyed over time by the antibody reaction. Does this doctor prescribe Armour Thyroid?

You need to also keep in mind that when you are taking estradiol, estrogens, progesterone and testosterone that those hormones actually bind a percentage of the thyroid hormones in the bloodstream...so as you add those, you need to check FT's and replace those hormones too.

Pam
She (Dr. Glaser) isn't going to be my primary care doc. She's a specialist.

So I'll continue to work with Dr. Farhangi on the Armour. And yes, I'm staying on it for now. I continue to feel very good on it, so much better than say, 5 or 6 months ago.

I get thyroid labs re-done on Jan 21, so the timing will be about right to see how much of my FT3 and FT4 are being bound by the new hormones, don't you think?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #108
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Yeah, it will be an 'every three to six months' FT's labs while you are on incoming hormones. I had a very hard time with testosterone (cuz it's not 'bio identical/natural like progesterone and estradiol are)...it not only bound my incoming hormone but also affected me emotionally, and also gave me the worse acne of my entire life (and I was on the lowest dosage they could give me!). I gave up on the testosterone after a few months cuz it did absolutely nothing for me.

Yeah, you don't want to add iodine unless you are deficient.....you might check rx'ing info for Armour..it DID at one time give a contraindication for supplemental iodine. That was years ago..have no idea if it does now. You'll also want both of these doc's sending your update reports to one another so both know what the other is doing (my pulmo, immu, endocrinologist and rheumy all keep up with each other).

I'm hoping between the incoming sex hormones and the Armour that you begin to feel really great in a few months! Now, do understand that some symptoms may develop (once my estradiol was a bit too high and I suffered the same symptoms a preggo woman would have, then my progesterone was too high and I swelled up like a beach ball..) pretty soon you'll get really good at knowing which symptoms go with what was added. Do NOT be afraid to either call and talk to the doc OR the compounder...we women who work closely with our compounding pharms end up being very pleased with our regimens!

Pam
Old 12-27-2007, 07:44 PM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the encouragement!

I feel like I should send you flowers or something sometimes. Your knowledge and willingness to share with us is so valuable. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Really!

It will be interesting to see the effect of testosterone. I was diagnosed about 2 years ago with rosacea and really have struggled with horrible skin. I just thought I had "acne". Now with a topical gel, it's totally gone and I rarely have any zits. If I have to go back to having acne, I won't be happy. If it's transient, well maybe I can deal with it, if the benefits outweigh a few zits. We'll see!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:27 PM   #110
Committed to Succeed

Hi gals! Interesting discussion about bio-identicals and thyroid meds. My Dr. just got me started on bio-identicals (all three hormones), along with Armour and (a new thing) Synthroid because Armour doesn't give me enough T4.

Pam, my Dr. isn't as concerned with the numbers on the T3 as he is in basing it on how I feel. So far, I'm still tired and wiped out, but some of that could be attributed to a recent fibromyalgia flare that was just horrible. I'm on Lyrica now, and it's working well. But the Dr. has warned that it will quit working, just as Neurontin did. The compounding pharmacist told me about Ribose and Magnesium helping people with fibro. Here is an article I found about it: Research: Benefit of Ribose in a Patient With Fibromyalgia Although it has carbs, the pharmacist assured me it does not raise your blood sugar, and I confirmed this. It didn't interfere with ketosis in my case. If the CorvalenM gives me the fibro relief the pharmacist claims it will, I can go off the Lyrica.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:44 AM   #111
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I can't deal with a 'lot' of T4 in my system, I must have (and this is in about 99% of all women who are replaced with BHRT) a lot of T3. Meaning my FT3 needs to be about 3/4 or better of it's range and FT4 at about midway of it's range.

The only reason I keep my records is because the last 'fibro' flare I had was two years after I was well medicated with Armour Thyroid with my ranges as above. I don't have fibromyalgia. I have Sjogrens, and I have Hashi's and I have polyartheritisnodosa (PAN) but I don't have fibromyalgia. But I was in a HUGE amount of pain and nothing made it let up for long until I got rid of the inflammation. I also spend a little time here and there (heh heh) on steroids which help lessen the inflammation.

I know people who REALLY have fibro. But there are only four of them compared to the over 100 people I know who 'used to exhibit' fibro symptoms (until they were diagnosed and treated for thyroid).

All I'm saying is that your doctor is basing dosage, etc. on how you feel and you are having 'flares'...if that makes any sense, I'd be at the doc's office telling him that we should be finding out what's up with that and how we can pinpoint any hormone triggers for it. Testosterone is a trigger for me with joint pain. Too much progesterone makes me have inflammation in the tissues...if adding more T4 isn't 'walking the dog' for ya, then don't hesitate to try something different and hang on to all your copies of labs...try to find a 'reason' for any flare ups.

Oh...and something I'd found that's simple but works really well, is dissolving a packet of gelatin in a cup of hot herbal tea three times a day. Really good inflammation reliever.

Pam
Old 01-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #112
Committed to Succeed

Pam, I just started seeing this doctor. We relocated to a new state, and I found him by accident because I had to be seen at an urgent care facility. The urgent care docs actually have practices elsewhere and work at the UC on a rotating basis. I was so impressed with him, I asked for his card. My first appointment with him wasn't until early in December. He ran a very thorough battery of tests and is just getting started on getting my levels where he thinks they should be. Clearly, this is going to take some time. I needed more T4 because I had such bad brain fog, and my short term memory was awful. It's getting better, but I have a way to go on that.

As for the fibro, I am one of the people who truly has it. It has been diagnosed repeatedly by rheumatologists, internists, and a neurosurgeon who was the sweetest doctor I ever had. He looked at me with such compassion and said he'd give anything if he could operate and get me out of the pain I was in. At any rate, several years later I was put on Neurontin. It doesn't work for you if you don't truly have fibro because fibro is a brain problem, and Neurontin works in the brain. Let me tell you, it was my miracle drug. I felt 10 years younger and was finally able to sleep. Sleep is so important for fibro patients. I know this because it affects my feet quite a bit. Some nights, my feet hurt so much I can't lay them on the bed. I have to fall asleep with them hanging off the side, but after about 4 hours of sleep, the pain is relieved enough that I can pull them onto the bed.

Well, the "miracle drug" worked for about 4 years. Granted, we had to increase the dose several times, but it got to the point where no amount of it would help. I was absolutely suffering this past summer and into the fall. The new doc put me on Lyrica and it's working somewhat, but I think my dose is a little on the low side. I'm going to ask him if it can be increased. He has warned me that sooner or later, my body will get used to Lyrica and we'll have to find something else. That is why I am so hopeful that the CorvalenM will work for me. If it does, then I can go off the Lyrica and don't have to worry about getting used to it and having to start over with a new one.

One of the characteristics of fibro is that it ebbs and flows. The pattern that mine takes is that my good seasons are winter and summer. My bad seasons are spring and fall. However, I have had seasons that were so bad, they just flowed right on into the next bad season. That sucked! Hopefully, we can get the Lyrica dose right so before my spring season hits I can have a few months pain free. That would be excellent!

Last edited by Magicsmom; 01-01-2008 at 10:53 AM..
Old 01-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #113
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Terry, does not eating any gluten, dyes and such help your inflammatory process? And, yes, there are folks who truly have this...unfortunately for them they usually have 'other' autoimmune stuff going on that makes it far worse for them.

Bad brain fog usually goes away when the FT3 is in the upper quartile of it's range too..but it can also be the 'other' hormones (as you well know, heh heh). Yes, it takes a HUGE amount of time to get it all straighter, glad the doc is going slow.

Pam
Old 01-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #114
Committed to Succeed

Quote:
Terry, does not eating any gluten, dyes and such help your inflammatory process? And, yes, there are folks who truly have this...unfortunately for them they usually have 'other' autoimmune stuff going on that makes it far worse for them.

Bad brain fog usually goes away when the FT3 is in the upper quartile of it's range too..but it can also be the 'other' hormones (as you well know, heh heh). Yes, it takes a HUGE amount of time to get it all straighter, glad the doc is going slow.

Pam
Pam, once I told a doctor I believed fibromyalgia was an autoimmune disorder, and he laughed at me. Now researchers are starting to say it.

The new doc told me that I would be best off avoiding gluten altogether, which isn't too hard when you're doing low carb. I haven't really noticed that it makes me feel any different whether I'm eating gluten or not, but I'll stay away from it. It can't hurt.

Yes, other hormone deficiencies give me brain fog. A few years ago, going on bio identical estrogen really helped me with that. Since then, I've moved, so it's back to the drawing board with it.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:17 AM   #115
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Avoiding gluten altogether is a hard thing to do (most folks don't 'get it' that it's in almost everything, including some meats are injected with it and it's in OTC meds as well as synthetic drugs (including SInthroid). I'm miserable if I get any gluten!

Pam
Old 01-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #116
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for the wonderful welcome

I have a question and maybe Pam or another could offer an answer. I have been on the Armour thyroid medication now for 3 weeks. The first week I was on 1 grain and then moved up to 2 grains. Now after the second week of 2 grains I moved up to 3 grains and I now have a terrible headache most of the day even though I take Advil.

I do break my doses up - I was doing 1-1/2 grains in the morning and 1-1/2 grains by 2:30 PM. I have found 2:30 is a good time for me.

Since the headaches began I feel it might have to do with jumping up to 3 grains too soon - (I have no thyroid gland) so I reduced the dose to 2-1/2 grains per day. The headaches are still here and don't seem to be budging.

My questions - Is the headache due to over dose? I have no other symptoms. Or Could the added grain too fast be the culprit of my headaches?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and very welcomed.
Thank you in advance -
Minny
Old 01-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #117

Gallery: ljh150
Update on me, I had my explant surgery Nov. 15th, and started on 60mg Armour twice daily soon after. I can't afford the doctors/tests, researched some, and decided to just try it. Ordered it from the UK. Very happy w/ it so far; not near as cold blooded anymore, dandruff going away, lots more energy.

We just found out we are expecting blessing #6 in August. I will be seeing a midwife, and will let her know I'm on Armour. I read that babies can be negatively affected by low thyroid, so I'm glad I'm taking now. Just so I don't get too much, but I've had no symptoms of overdose yet.

Last edited by ljh150; 01-02-2008 at 07:19 PM..
ljh150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:42 AM   #118
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnymouse8 View Post
Thank you for the wonderful welcome

I have a question and maybe Pam or another could offer an answer. I have been on the Armour thyroid medication now for 3 weeks. The first week I was on 1 grain and then moved up to 2 grains. Now after the second week of 2 grains I moved up to 3 grains and I now have a terrible headache most of the day even though I take Advil.

I do break my doses up - I was doing 1-1/2 grains in the morning and 1-1/2 grains by 2:30 PM. I have found 2:30 is a good time for me.

Since the headaches began I feel it might have to do with jumping up to 3 grains too soon - (I have no thyroid gland) so I reduced the dose to 2-1/2 grains per day. The headaches are still here and don't seem to be budging.

My questions - Is the headache due to over dose? I have no other symptoms. Or Could the added grain too fast be the culprit of my headaches?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and very welcomed.
Thank you in advance -
Minny
Is this what your doctor prescribed? THAT much THAT fast? I think you might have jumped to TWO grains way too soon myself. Were you already on a synthetic before the Armour?

Pam
Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 AM   #119
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh150 View Post
Update on me, I had my explant surgery Nov. 15th, and started on 60mg Armour twice daily soon after. I can't afford the doctors/tests, researched some, and decided to just try it. Ordered it from the UK. Very happy w/ it so far; not near as cold blooded anymore, dandruff going away, lots more energy.

We just found out we are expecting blessing #6 in August. I will be seeing a midwife, and will let her know I'm on Armour. I read that babies can be negatively affected by low thyroid, so I'm glad I'm taking now. Just so I don't get too much, but I've had no symptoms of overdose yet.

So, let me get this right. You are prescribing your OWN Armour? And your pregnant? If you just started the Armour only after Nov 15, you haven't received your 'over dose symptoms' yet IMHO. Good Lord, I've already lost one friend to 'self medicating with Armour/thyroid meds', I don't need to see more.

Pam
Old 01-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #120
Junior LCF Member

Hi Pam, yes I was on Synthroid prior to starting Armour, and prior to Synthroid I was on Cytomel. I actually started thyroid medication on the 1st of November, after my total thyroidectomy.

I assume the reason for the headaches is because the added 3rd grain of T3 to my daily dose of 2 grains was added too fast. I have now dropped myself back 1/2 grain. Making that to 2-1/2 grains.

I've been reading a lot about thyroid medication and reactions people have. It does seem as though everyone experiments with time periods of when to take the medication and splitting doses at different times during the day to see what time of day works better than other times, and dose amounts during those times.

This is my 4th week on Armour and it was really working great after I moved up to 2 grains - but after that 2nd week I began to feel sluggish again. Not only that, thyroid cancer patients take a bit more than normal because the TSH levels must be kept at a very low if not at all. The brain cannot know the body needs thyroid or the producing cells will reproduce more cancer cells.

In any event - I think maybe I need to go back down to 2 grains and stay there for a bit longer and then move up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated -- and how did you lose a friend to Armour? If it is okay to ask. I'm very sorry.

Thank you very much for your feedback!