Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #61
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Gallery: nonstickpam107
[QUOTE=NewYawker65;9459661]Pam:
I got my bloodwork back today and as promised, here are the results.

Free T3 342 (normal is bet. 230-420)

Free T4 1.22 (normal is bet. 0.80-1.80)

[COLOR="Red"]TSH 3rd Generation
0.18 (normal is between 0.35-5.50)[/COLOR]

As you can see, my TSH level is low but I dont know what that means.

Looks good. TSH means 'nothing' as far as thyroid goes (it's the FT's you want to see) and can vary as much as up to three whole POINTS in any given day (so, see, two hours after that test, it could have gone up around 2.5 or so, ya never know). Your FT3 looks very good and shows good conversion. If you are having hypothyroid symptoms, you might want to look at progesterone levels and iron/ferritin levels. They both can mimic hypo symptoms really well.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2007, 06:52 AM   #62
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh150 View Post
How would I know if I have adrenal insufficiency problems?
You are saying you have Scleroderma (rather rare, usually comes on in childhood...really rare for it to come on in adulthood), which is an autoimmune condition....those with Scleroderma (or any autoimmune disease which require steroids to counteract/medicate it) usually have adrenal issues.

Pam
Old 11-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #63
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Yikes, I answered yesterday and my post went to cyberspace or somewhere, it's not here. . .and it was really long!

I see a MD who specializes in all sorts of things such as thyroid, allergy, bioidentical hormones, adrenal fatigue. . .

I dropped the allergy treatment, but do Armour thyroid, a compound T3, bioidentical estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, what he calls cortisol, a compound for adrenal fatigue (after 5 years, I don't know what tests he's run, but he runs tests frequently, especially the first year.) I also take 5-HTP, a supplement, plus D, Calcium, Magnesium. . .and Fish Oil Caps. . .well, I've been a bit slack on the last supplements. . .but I take so much!!

The time of taking the meds is very important to me and my well being. I get better mileage out of taking the Thyroid 12 hrs. apart. . .but I think individual results differ.

My DH heard the doctor on talk radio, said he described me to a T, and gave the work up to me for Christmas. Best gift I ever got.

None of the treatment is covered by insurance.

The commitment is huge, but the results are amazing.

HTH!
I'm so sorry your treatment is not covered by insurance! We take a lot of the same supplements (except for 5-HTP...it upsets my stomach and I think I may be allergic to a filler in it). Now see there...you have an MD...I'm trying to get across the message that you don't NEED an endocrinologist...a doctor who is willing to help and study WITH the patient is a good thing. And yes, the commitment IS huge.

I ache badly, am disabled and ovca and just got back to working full time after five years...have a prosthetic left femur, crushed hand, but still work out four times a week (lifting weights). If I don't lift...I can keep to my good eating WOE but I find I don't feel or look right (so..as Ileen says: "Ya gotta wanna"!!).

So, you're a lovely example of a patient who's found a great doctor who is NOT an endo! (And of a patient that stops at nothing to get well...bravo!).

Pam
Old 11-06-2007, 08:34 AM   #64
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NewYawker65
Pam:
I got my bloodwork back today and as promised, here are the results.

Free T3 342 (normal is bet. 230-420)

Free T4 1.22 (normal is bet. 0.80-1.80)

TSH 3rd Generation
0.18 (normal is between 0.35-5.50)

As you can see, my TSH level is low but I dont know what that means.

Ive had it with my doctor today and found another doctor. My next door neighbor has a good endo and she referred her to me. I have an appointment with the new endo on 12/17. I will speak with her regarding an adrenal test while I'm there with her.

I look forward to your reply...
NewYawker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #65
Taking a break

Gallery: JustKim
Pam interesting that 1.5 grains is actually low. I've been on it for years now and was told it was a pretty high dose, yet I've never felt any better on it versus off of it either. The two times I felt awesome were when I did T3 following a wilson's protocol years ago. I haven't found a great doc here yet in OH either. My temp is still always around 94 (talk about being cold-blooded!) Is it worth a try to do a ramp up to 2 grains for awhile to see if that makes a difference?
JustKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #66
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Quote:
I ended up with the angioedema (my entire face swelled) while taking Lisinopril. It was a shock to me that the Lisinopril could cause this to occur since I had been taking it for awhile
Oh no! How awful! How long had you been taking it, and how long did the swelling last?
peanutte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:43 AM   #67
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKim View Post
Pam interesting that 1.5 grains is actually low. I've been on it for years now and was told it was a pretty high dose, yet I've never felt any better on it versus off of it either. The two times I felt awesome were when I did T3 following a wilson's protocol years ago. I haven't found a great doc here yet in OH either. My temp is still always around 94 (talk about being cold-blooded!) Is it worth a try to do a ramp up to 2 grains for awhile to see if that makes a difference?
Depends...what is your FT4, and FT3? My temp is always going to be very low also, no matter HOW MUCH Armour I take...I have Hashimoto's and went untreated for so long, my temp won't be 'normal'. That's pretty common though. No one should 'trial' T3 in my opinion...I've seen WAY too many women who were low in progesterone (which reflects in low FT's) given thyroid hormone and then had to take it for life (cuz giving thyroid hormone shuts down the thyroid, no matter how much...therefore as the thyroid shuts down, you need to be seeing your FT's to see 'where you are').

Pam
Old 11-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #68
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Thanks, nonstickpam. . .I have seen several people go to the same doctor I go to, spend the money, and NOT follow through.

Again, maybe the fact that it is so "expensive" makes me stick with it. . .but feeling good is EVERYTHING!

Sounds like you have a bit more going on that just Hashi's. Wow! Exercising with all that takes huge commitment.

I "retired early" and now work 2 jobs. . .maybe a tad too much really, for someone with an autoimmune disease. Couldn't have done that without my WOL!

(I say it is too much because the stress level of my jobs makes the autoimmune disease so much worse, and I have stress when grades are due, and that seems to be 4 weeks out of every 6 weeks.)

(I won't take 2 jobs ever again! Not good for this old woman!)

You are very "up" on the disease and its variables. . .progesterone is so key in my treatment. . .when it is insufficient I crash. . .hope you understand. . .since you have the same general situation I have.

Hang in there!

(all this is hard to get right. . .one has to be proactive!)

And a great doctor is the key!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Locarb4me
Stats: 200/182/150
WOE: Low Carbish
Start Date: 6/12/07
Just checking in to report that I've changed my PCP to the doctor I saw yesterday. I was really sick and in a lot of pain (I may have diverticulitis-yuck) but kept my appt. with her anyway.

She was wonderful!! We definitely clicked. She'd already accessed all my recent medical records, read thru them, and wanted to discuss most of them! Wow. Nothing like my other doctor, that's for sure.

She is very much on my wavelength with natural therapies/supplements and holistic care when it's proven to be better than pharmaceuticals. I didn't get any of that patronizing crap that so many doctors give you when you ask them about things like omega 3 & 6 oils, coconut oil or milk thistle. She even told me she could recommend a few good sites and manufacturers of natural supplements next time she saw me.

She is willing to continue working with my Armour dosages, and ran a TON of labs on me--including the one for Hashimoto's. She was sort of startled when I told her what the previous docs comments were about Hashi's ie. "we wouldn't change what we're doing with you even if you did have Hashimotos so therefore you don't need to be tested."

She's sending me to a nutritionist who she said has worked wonders with her own daughter who is diabetic, and wants me to follow basically a diabetic diet in hopes we can avert diabetes II. She gave me on a low carb diet. We'll also look into HRT once my labs are back.

She impressed the heck out of me when she looked at my last several sets of labs and told me point blank, "You have metabolic resistance, do you know what that is?" and "We are going to have to work to fix that!"

Maybe finally I found a doctor who "gets it" and will help me get better!
Locarb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Yikes, I answered yesterday and my post went to cyberspace or somewhere, it's not here. . .and it was really long!

I see a MD who specializes in all sorts of things such as thyroid, allergy, bioidentical hormones, adrenal fatigue. . .

I dropped the allergy treatment, but do Armour thyroid, a compound T3, bioidentical estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, what he calls cortisol, a compound for adrenal fatigue (after 5 years, I don't know what tests he's run, but he runs tests frequently, especially the first year.) I also take 5-HTP, a supplement, plus D, Calcium, Magnesium. . .and Fish Oil Caps. . .well, I've been a bit slack on the last supplements. . .but I take so much!!

The time of taking the meds is very important to me and my well being. I get better mileage out of taking the Thyroid 12 hrs. apart. . .but I think individual results differ.

My DH heard the doctor on talk radio, said he described me to a T, and gave the work up to me for Christmas. Best gift I ever got.

None of the treatment is covered by insurance.

The commitment is huge, but the results are amazing.

HTH!
I have high hopes for my new doctor. It sounds like you have a real gem!

I'm reading Dr. Schwarzbein's second book and it's very interesting the interplay between all the various hormones. I'm hoping this new doctor will be taking a look at all of my hormones including my adrenals and working with me to get my entire metabolism straightened out.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: magnamater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locarb4me View Post
I have high hopes for my new doctor. It sounds like you have a real gem!

I'm reading Dr. Schwarzbein's second book and it's very interesting the interplay between all the various hormones. I'm hoping this new doctor will be taking a look at all of my hormones including my adrenals and working with me to get my entire metabolism straightened out.
Hope it does work out for you.

It is so worth it.

Patience! Takes time!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #72
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Patience??? What is that anyway?
If they ever bottle it, I'll go broke buying it. I have none and never did

I do have diverticulitis. I guess no more smoothies with blackberries and strawberries for me Or chia seeds in my yogurt. I began feeling the pain after eating the chia yogurt. And it's supposed to be SO GOOD for you

Oh well, I'm off to sip my warm chicken broth and read some more SPII.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:32 AM   #73
Junior LCF Member

Pam:
Wow...great....thanks for your advise... How do you know so much about thyroid?

Its been a week on Amour and I'm feeling fantastic... Hair is still falling out but not like it was on Synthroid....

Laura
Old 11-08-2007, 06:37 AM   #74
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYawker65 View Post
Pam:
Wow...great....thanks for your advise... How do you know so much about thyroid?

Its been a week on Amour and I'm feeling fantastic... Hair is still falling out but not like it was on Synthroid....

Laura
My whole family is affected by endocrine disease. My Mom died at the age of 48 yrs old (she was in and out of mental facilities for several years and we didn't get the actual diagnosis until she died....she didn't have mental disease...she had Hashimoto's Encephalopathy...which didn't have to happen if a doctor would have given her some thyroid hormone and done more than just a TSH test).

I decided then that I would start researching endocrine disease, with emphasis on thyroid autoimmune diseases. I worked in a hospital for a long time (but still kept up with the leading doctors/research on thyroid disease). I decided in the late 90's that I wanted to advocate for better patient care...so many women have this disease and so many doctors termed it 'rare' and 'benign' in the late 80's.

The thing that REALLY stands out is the number of elderly people (in their 90's!) who tell me their sad story of doing so WELL on Armour Thyroid (and back then, it was coming from the meat packing company itself!) and then they 'lost their lives as they knew them' when their doctors switched them to synthetic T4. Really something to think about...talk about a giant step backwards!

Pam
Old 11-08-2007, 05:05 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
My whole family is affected by endocrine disease. My Mom died at the age of 48 yrs old (she was in and out of mental facilities for several years and we didn't get the actual diagnosis until she died....she didn't have mental disease...she had Hashimoto's Encephalopathy...which didn't have to happen if a doctor would have given her some thyroid hormone and done more than just a TSH test).

I decided then that I would start researching endocrine disease, with emphasis on thyroid autoimmune diseases. I worked in a hospital for a long time (but still kept up with the leading doctors/research on thyroid disease). I decided in the late 90's that I wanted to advocate for better patient care...so many women have this disease and so many doctors termed it 'rare' and 'benign' in the late 80's.

The thing that REALLY stands out is the number of elderly people (in their 90's!) who tell me their sad story of doing so WELL on Armour Thyroid (and back then, it was coming from the meat packing company itself!) and then they 'lost their lives as they knew them' when their doctors switched them to synthetic T4. Really something to think about...talk about a giant step backwards!

Pam
Wow, that is sad! I'm sorry to hear that happened to your mom. I think it's great that you used it as a catalyst to find out the truth about thyroid disease and that you share it so freely with all of us here. Bless you!

I got an email from a lady who had bought one of my dolls a while back. She told me that she was recovering from myxedema coma!! She actually went into some detail about how sick she had been. I was just floored. That this could happen in today's America just flipped me out. She is fortunate she's not dead.

New Yawker, I felt wonderful my first week on Armour too. What a big difference. I noticed it about day 3 or 4. It was great. Now I think I'm ready to kick it up another half grain or so, because my basal temp is still way too low (96-ish) and the afternoon sluggies are coming back now.

I'm still tickled to have found a doctor who is on board with all this stuff! I finally have some hope that I'll get better soon.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #76
Junior LCF Member

Pam... I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to your mother... That poor woman!! Locarb4me is right.... She was a catalyst for helping people like us get the help we needed.. God Bless her and thank you so much for your thoughtful advice!!!

Laura
Old 11-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Update:

No further weightloss on the Armour. It's now been nearly 2 months.
I saw my new doctor today and we discussed this. I'm almost back in the same boat with her (and her views on treating hypothyroidism) as I was with my previous doctor. How discouraging.

Newsflash: I have Hashimotos. Whatever it is that they test, she said normal is around 35 something, mine is 400

But she then looked at my last TSH (although she did test FT3 and FT4)
and said, you are just slightly hyperthyroid according to your TSH so I will leave you at 90mg. I told her my basal temps have been consistently about 97* and she discounted that completely, relying on the TSH. She was nice about it - not dismissive however - so I know we have room to wiggle

More news, she is putting me on Metformin ER to see if it will help with the blood sugar and insulin resistance. If that doesn't get this weight moving, Lord help me. She wants me to follow a diabetic diet. I looked it over and it appears too high carb for what I believe in. So I'm not sure what I will do about that yet. I'm just hoping I tolerate the Metformin.

She also suggested dropping my calories to about 1200 a day. I can do that, no problem, I think, but I'm not convinced that's so great metabolically for me at this time - but - oh well

And finally, she's sending me to a former oncologist/surgeon who has now begun specializing in natural hormone replacement (bioidentical compounds) and Dr Farhangi said she knew that would be right up my alley So pretty soon I will be talking to another dr. about HRT.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:30 AM   #78
Thyroid Patient Advocate

Well, DO keep in mind that when they add Bioident. HRT..it 'binds' a significant portion of the incoming Armour Thyroid. That's sad she just goes by TSH. Just sad. Cuz Armour drops TSH in the lowest catagories before you have enough to 'go on'.

None of us take Armour or any other thyroid hormone to 'lose weight' so that's not surprising you didn't lose more. I know I had to work out six days a week, keep my carbs under 30 and ate about 1500 to 1600 cals a day (remember, if you're working out...than you need the calories). Even NOW, to maintain I work out three to four days a week and keep my carbs around 65/75 depending on how hard I work out. BUT...my doc is good about giving me enough Armour to 'keep me going and moving'.

I'm also on 120mg. of steroid a day (for one of my autoimmune diseases..PAN) and you can imagine how I have to 'watch' what I eat and exercise accordingly. Now, in the last month, I got a job at a factory (hee hee...that's cool...disabled person in a factory...hee hee, and thank goodness these people are finding something I can still DO and paying me well) and so I'm on my feet and MOVING eight hours a day...so I get to 'slack' a little on my exercise at home/gym.

I'd be more than happy to look over your menu (with weights/measures please of each item) if you'd like...you can PM me.

Pam
Old 11-27-2007, 12:46 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Well, DO keep in mind that when they add Bioident. HRT..it 'binds' a significant portion of the incoming Armour Thyroid. That's sad she just goes by TSH. Just sad. Cuz Armour drops TSH in the lowest catagories before you have enough to 'go on'.
Can you explain that bolded statement to me? I'm sorry, I'm not following you.

I did bring up possibly combing Cytomel with Synthroid or Armour if she thinks that is warranted. I didn't even understand her answer But it was something along the lines of "no".

Quote:
None of us take Armour or any other thyroid hormone to 'lose weight' so that's not surprising you didn't lose more. I know I had to work out six days a week, keep my carbs under 30 and ate about 1500 to 1600 cals a day (remember, if you're working out...than you need the calories). Even NOW, to maintain I work out three to four days a week and keep my carbs around 65/75 depending on how hard I work out. BUT...my doc is good about giving me enough Armour to 'keep me going and moving'.
I had pinned a lot of hope on getting my metabolism fired up some and losing weight. I base that on Broda Barnes book. He says over and over that weight loss was a result of getting people's thyroid adequately replaced. Perhaps that is not going to be a reality for me. I'm of a mind now that in order to lose weight I will indeed have to drop calories and increase exercise.

I've been keeping carbs low, but eating about 1700-1800 calories a day per ******. The past week or so I haven't got updated because through the holiday I ate things that I cooked for Thanksgiving out of various sites and cookbooks and just don't have time to try and figure out the contents. But it's all been low carb and sugarfree.

Quote:
I'm also on 120mg. of steroid a day (for one of my autoimmune diseases..PAN) and you can imagine how I have to 'watch' what I eat and exercise accordingly. Now, in the last month, I got a job at a factory (hee hee...that's cool...disabled person in a factory...hee hee, and thank goodness these people are finding something I can still DO and paying me well) and so I'm on my feet and MOVING eight hours a day...so I get to 'slack' a little on my exercise at home/gym.
Yes, you have a real catch-22 if you're on steroids. Moving around on the job is a huge help. It's like accidental exercise and it really adds up. I've had very active jobs before and lost weight without trying at all. It's a blessing in disguise for sure.

Quote:
I'd be more than happy to look over your menu (with weights/measures please of each item) if you'd like...you can PM me.
Thanks!! Do you mean my current and past menus or the new proposed one for diabetics?
Old 11-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh Pam!!! Look who I'm going to see:
Bioidentical Hormone Balance, Hormone Balance, Balance, Hormones, Breast Cancer, Natural Hormones

Maybe I've finally hit paydirt when it comes to a doctor who knows her stuff about all my issues. Oh let's hope so!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 AM   #81
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I mean the menues you've been trying to lose weight on...and a 'overall' picture..of what you eat every day, day to day.

Oh, I meant that Armour Thyroid DROPS the TSH into the toilet (sorry, TMI, ha ha)...it lowers the TSH down to 'nuttin' within days of taking it....but can take MONTHS to actually bring up the FT4, FT3. So if a doc is going by TSH....than they aren't going to pay any attention to how you FEEL..they are just going to look at TSH, and when low, decide 'that's enough for you...we don't want you feeling well anytime soon, we'll just worship at the altar of TSH'. I've met at LEAST 20 docs like this.

Many docs are 'good at' or "jumping on the bio identical HRT bandwagon" but don't necessarily know anything about thyroid. I've met a lot of them too.

Barnes also wrote about the EXTRA workouts and exercise that we with thyroid disease would have to do in order to lose weight. And, last but not least (please don't anyone stone me!) not EVERY thyroid patient does well on very low carbs and higher calories. Your 'niche' may be to up the carbs, lower the fat and calories a bit too.

But, I don't think the 'regulation' diabetic diet works either...I don't like to be 'hungry' but I also found that while I lost weight on Atkins/Protein Power, I could NOT eat above 1400 calories (30 grams net carbs, NO soy, junk, etc.) without exercising very strenuously and still lose weight.

Pam
Old 12-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #82
Junior LCF Member

I LOVE AMOUR THYROID...BEEN ON IT 2 MONTHS NOW....

I posted the below blog and I wanted to give you all an update on my condition. Read the blog below to understand my situation...

I have now been on Amour Thryoid for 2 months and I could not be happier. I was on 75mg Synthroid for 10 months but quit it in October due to SEVERE HAIR LOSS, lethargy, Brain Fog, very low energy... My doctor then put me on 45mg of Amour thyroid. In the first week I dropped about 5 pounds. My energy level hit the roof..It was like I didnt even have a thyroid problem. The brain fog went away within 48 hours. One week later I noticed my hair loss had stopped and that my scalp was appearing dry and not greasy. I then posted another blog and told you all I would contact you in 6 weeks and let you know how I was still feeling...

Well, in all honesty, I feel like a 16 year old. My energy level is still absolutely wonderful, I sleep like a baby, the brain fog is completely gone, THE HAIR LOSS HAS COMPLETELY STOPPED, AND A TON OF NEW HAIR GROWTH STUBBLE IS ALL OVER MY HEAD. MY HAIR IS GROWING BACK!! I cant help but touch my scalp because I cant get over all this new hair growth. My scalp is dry...not greasy like when I was on synthroid. I couldnt be happier. I've also noticed that my hearty appetite has gone away and I actually have a slight loss of appetite which I know is due to the medicine..but I dont care.. I need to lose 70 pounds anyway so in reality it is helping me to take off the weight. Because my energy level is so high now, I feel like I want to exercise and am considering walking and ice skating.. I am very motivated at this point...

Im so happy on this product that I'm afraid to go off it. Remember, I'm taking it to reduce the size of goiters...my thryoid is supposed to be normal...but in all honesty I dont remember feeling this good before I started synthroid so something is going on... I have an appt on 12/17 with a new Endo. but the news will be good.

I can honestly say that I highly recommend this product to anyone who is having problems with Synthroid. Go for it. You'll be glad you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYawker65 View Post
In Jan 2007 I began taking Synthroid 75mg to treat some thyroid goiters which had developed on my thyroid. Goiters are benign masses which have attached themselves to my thyroid. I was tested for hyper and hypo thyroidism and my doctor told me that I was negative for both although he did indicate that my metabolism was running "a little slow" but not slow enough that he wanted to put me on medicine. The purpose of taking Synthroid for me was to reduce the size of the Goiters. Otherwise I would have to have surgery to cut out 4 goiters from my left and right thyroid and would be on Synthroid for the rest of my life (and would also have to live with some very ugly scars on my neck).

I have been taking Synthroid for the last 11 months and starting about 4 months ago I began to lose my hair (large amounts of it!). It was also getting very thin. First I thought it was stress but I noticed after a while it wasnt getting better. I then realized that Synthroid had a side effect of hair loss in some people. Yikes! I also noticed that I was tired all the time and had brain fog that could easily be defined as borderline depression. You would of thought that Synthroid would of helped my situation right! Nope..It made it worse... I was sleeping all day. I am 70 pounds overweight. I gained most of the weight over the last 5 years because my goiters and thyroid problem went undiagnosed for so long. My doctor told me that I would likely lose weight on Synthroid... We'll...it didnt happen. I didnt lose an ounce.

This week I switched to 30 mg of Armour Thyroid and I've got to tell you, I am feeling absolutely wonderful. I am losing weight!! Its just coming off and I"m doing absolutely nothing! I feel wonderful! My neighbor was the first to notice the weight loss even before I did and she commented about it. (I thought she was delierous!) My disposition has changed entirely! I cant believe it. Gone is the brain fog and the depression seems to have gone away.. I actually laughed at myself yesterday when I started to think of how nice it would be to take up a hobby like ice skating! Whats going on here??? In regards to the hair problem...its still falling out but as we all know, it might take a few weeks for that to calm down so I will keep you informed..but my scalp feels different too since I started taking this. When I was taking synthroid, my scalp feet "numb and dead"...no activity. Oils were collecting on my head quite quickly... Since I've been on the Amour, I feel my scalp again and the oil problem is not there. I'll let you know in a few weeks what happens..but I am optimistic.

Overall, I am very grateful for the switch..I had to recommend Armour to my doctor. It never occured to her for me to try it (what on earth were they thinking?? ) They think its old fashioned but I've got to tell you... I feel like I have NO THYROID PROBLEM AT ALL... I am almost disgusted they didnt put me on this first. (Maybe I should have gone to medical school!

I love how I feel on this... I hope the hair problems stops... Will keep you posted...
Old 12-05-2007, 06:32 AM   #83
Thyroid Patient Advocate

New Yawker, a 'goiter' IS the thyroid itself, enlarged because it can't 'work' properly, so, yes, even that teensy little 45mg. dosage may help you for awhile. The preferred method is to raise the Armour slowly until YOUR thyroid stops and the replacment..um..'replaces' your needs. Good luck with ongoing treatment!

Pam
Old 12-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi again Got me some new numbers to share:

T3, Free: 2.5 (range 2.3 - 4.2)
T-4, Total: 5.5 (range 4.0 - 12.9)
TSH: 0.67 (range 0.40 - 4.59)

Blood drawn with no Armour dose that morning.

I also had some hormone testing done. I'm totally clueless about these numbers at this point:

Serum FSH: 86.8 my status= postmenopausal (Range 23.0 - 116.3)
Testosterone, Free & Total: 10 (range 2 - 45)
(measured by LCMSMS)

% free testosterone: 0.91 (range 0.5 - 2.0)
Free Testosterone: 0.9 (range 0.1 - 6.4)
Estradiol, serum: 34 (range 0-31) (again, postmenopause)

Pam, do you see anything amiss here that you care to comment on? I'm still waiting for a call back from this place for an appointment.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:54 AM   #85
Thyroid Patient Advocate

You are no where near well treated (yet) with T3, don't know WHY there is a Total T4 and a Free T3?? Like mixing apples and oranges. ??? So, you don't know your true T4 at all, sigh. FSH isn't worthwhile at all. Range for the estradiol is not a post meno range. ?? My doctor draws exactly (and I mean EXACTLY) 4 hours after my split half dosage of Armour. So, depending on if you take split dosage, and WHEN the last one was, you'd have to figure that all out (T3 has a half life of four hours that's why you have FT's drawn four hours after taking split dosage).

Quite confusing actually. Who ordered those tests? Most estradiol ranges for post meno is 55 to 110 (with 70 to 90 being good levels). Free test. in a woman post meno is NOT going to be high anyway. Where's the progesterone test?

Pam

Last edited by nonstickpam107; 12-14-2007 at 09:56 AM..
Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 AM   #86
Thyroid Patient Advocate

I just read the website, not a WORD about progesterone. Even if a woman has NO uterus/ovaries, progesterone helps the thyroid balance...it's much more valuable than either testosterone or estradiol if your thyroid is unbalanced.

Pam
Old 12-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #87
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Hi Pam! I just wanted to give you a shout out. It's been a long time!

I'm seeing a new doc because I relocated out of state and this guy is wonderful. He's added T4 to my regimen with Synthroid. I am taking 120 mg. of Armour, and it's just not getting me enough T4. Next blood draw is in early January. He's got me on a regimen of vitamins and a bunch of other stuff, along with bio-identical estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. After the next blood draw, I'll post to you.
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:45 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I just read the website, not a WORD about progesterone. Even if a woman has NO uterus/ovaries, progesterone helps the thyroid balance...it's much more valuable than either testosterone or estradiol if your thyroid is unbalanced.

Pam
That is the doctor who sent me a fax with the lab work they want to see. Oh brother...another waste of time and money.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicsmom View Post
Hi Pam! I just wanted to give you a shout out. It's been a long time!

I'm seeing a new doc because I relocated out of state and this guy is wonderful. He's added T4 to my regimen with Synthroid. I am taking 120 mg. of Armour, and it's just not getting me enough T4. Next blood draw is in early January. He's got me on a regimen of vitamins and a bunch of other stuff, along with bio-identical estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. After the next blood draw, I'll post to you.

Magicsmom!!
Old 12-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #90
Committed to Succeed

Gallery: Magicsmom
Stats: 282/182/140
WOE: Low carb/portion control
Start Date: Re-re-restarted 7/16/12
Locarb4me!
Magicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote