Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Thyroid
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2007, 02:46 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11
Gallery: NewYawker65
Hello Locarb4me, Nonstickpam, and Carolina Rose:
In response to your question nonstickpam, I am taking 2 pills (as you suggested) which is 30mg. Each pill is 15mg. The doctor originally prescribed for me 3 pills (45mg) but my heart started to race so today we agreed to lower it to 2 pills/30 mg. You indicated that I will crash Nonstickpam. I dont understand. Can you please clarify?? If I'm taking 30mg (2 pills) right now which is the same as my Synthroid dosage, why would I crash? I dont understand.

In regards to your question regarding my bloodwork, I asked the doctor to mail me those results.. I'll get back to you in a few days and tell you what they were. I do know that when I was onthe Synthroid, my T4 was fine...my T3 was fine as well...but my TSH level was reading as low.... I dont know what that means....
NewYawker65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11
Gallery: NewYawker65
My results of Amour Thyroid

Thank you folks for your warm welcome!

Nonstickpam, I am taking 2 pills a day and each pill is 15 mg which is a total of 30mg. Is that the equivilent dosage of Synthroid? Will I crash on this??? I was taking 75 mg of synthroid.

I should say that my doctor originally told me to take 45mg of amour (3 pills) but my heart started to race so we agreed this morning to lower it to 30mg, 2 pills.

In response to your question regarding my bloodwork, I am waiting for them to mail it to me but I was told that my T4 was normal, my T3 was normal and my TSH was low... I wonder what that means...

I hope I dont crash...I'm feeling too good! I will email you nonstickpam with the results once I receive them in the mail...Thank you for your advise.
NewYawker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:21 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Locarb4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: My Alternate Parallel Universe
Posts: 4,457
Gallery: Locarb4me
Stats: 200/182/150
WOE: Low Carbish
Start Date: 6/12/07
New Yawker!!
Locarb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:01 PM   #34
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11
Gallery: NewYawker65
Hello Lowcarb4me!!!! :)



Hope you are well!
NewYawker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:45 AM   #35
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
Yep, I'd be getting FT's on the 6th with that new doctor to see 'where you are'. I have been on 3 grains (180mg.) Armour (summer) and 3.5 grains (winter) for about seven years now....and even though my FT's are good, my body temp has NEVER come above 97.0. I'm sure I can attribute that to the autoimmune diseases I have but it's a good reason WHY doctors/patients should go solely by body temp. In a lot of we Hashi's patients, the temp never does come up to 98.6.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Locarb4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: My Alternate Parallel Universe
Posts: 4,457
Gallery: Locarb4me
Stats: 200/182/150
WOE: Low Carbish
Start Date: 6/12/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Yep, I'd be getting FT's on the 6th with that new doctor to see 'where you are'. I have been on 3 grains (180mg.) Armour (summer) and 3.5 grains (winter) for about seven years now....and even though my FT's are good, my body temp has NEVER come above 97.0. I'm sure I can attribute that to the autoimmune diseases I have but it's a good reason WHY doctors/patients should go solely by body temp. In a lot of we Hashi's patients, the temp never does come up to 98.6.

Pam

Ok. That's exactly what I'm thinking too, let the new doc do them. It will give me some good insight into how she practices in this very important-to-me area.

You actually up your thyroid in winter? I just read that last night in Barne's book. And my packet from his foundation just arrived a few minutes ago.

My basal temp this morning was 97. I called to see if I could get my regular doc's permission to up my Armour maybe half tablet but turns out she's closed on Fridays now. Not a good sign, IMO. I think she's losing or has lost a lot of patients or just hasn't developed a good following. Kind of a red flag, IMO.
__________________
*Steph*
It's a Never Ending Battle Against Flab >:-/
---------------------------
Locarb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:00 AM   #37
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
Gee, I think your 'red flag' might be a good thing MY doctor is closed on Fridays too...and he's a very good doctor, but has decided to just do what he does four days a week..maybe it's a good omen.

Yes, in very cold climates, some do better upping their Armour in winter, I'm one of them. If DH tries to do that (with more than a quarter grain or so) he goes to hyperland.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:25 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
magnamater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,099
Gallery: magnamater
Jumping in here.

FYI: I've switched to Armour, 5 years ago, and with the switch, did bioidentical hormones. (I have a great doc)

I take 5 grains now (and Synthroid was .175) after increasing gradually ( but really not too slowly, 1/2 grain every 2 weeks.)

I also started a compounded T3 formula.

The timing of my taking of the meds is all important, as I've tweaked my meds for my wellbeing.

Also, whereas my doc first recommended a moderatly low carb diet (Zone) after 6 months of treatment, he recommended for me true LC. And that is the key (for me) (and I think we are all different here)

I have lost a significant amount of weight (through LC). . .in 9 months I dropped 50+ lbs (I had lost 20 before with synthroid and LC) and with diligence slowly (this took 3 years) and with attention to both carbs and calories, and exercising much more dropped another 40.

The main difference is in the way I feel (as in human) which would make the Armour and bioidentical worth it if I hadn't lost weight.

BTW, my doc differentiates between low thryoid disease and autoimmune thyroid disease. I'm not really sure what all that means, but in his opinion, I have the more difficult to treat, autoimmune form of the disease. Thus the very large amount of Armour my body needs to make me "normal."

Other doctors totally think I am taking way too much thyroid. (conventional medicine)

HTH!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:36 AM   #39
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
98% of all women with hypothyroidism have the autoimmune type (Hashimoto's). Now see? Your story is inspiring to patients seeking good treatment!

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 08:39 AM   #40
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYawker65 View Post
Thank you folks for your warm welcome!

Nonstickpam, I am taking 2 pills a day and each pill is 15 mg which is a total of 30mg. Is that the equivilent dosage of Synthroid? Will I crash on this??? I was taking 75 mg of synthroid.

I should say that my doctor originally told me to take 45mg of amour (3 pills) but my heart started to race so we agreed this morning to lower it to 30mg, 2 pills.

In response to your question regarding my bloodwork, I am waiting for them to mail it to me but I was told that my T4 was normal, my T3 was normal and my TSH was low... I wonder what that means...

I hope I dont crash...I'm feeling too good! I will email you nonstickpam with the results once I receive them in the mail...Thank you for your advise.
Heart palpitations can be symptoms of under/untreated other hormones (like progesterone, estrogen, etc.). It can also be a sign of adrenal insufficiency, especially at the low dosages you are quoting. As a patient, you own your own lab records, so get copies from now on to compare. My doctor's staff hand me copies of all labs, with ranges upon leaving the doc's office.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Locarb4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: My Alternate Parallel Universe
Posts: 4,457
Gallery: Locarb4me
Stats: 200/182/150
WOE: Low Carbish
Start Date: 6/12/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnamater View Post
Jumping in here.

FYI: I've switched to Armour, 5 years ago, and with the switch, did bioidentical hormones. (I have a great doc)

I take 5 grains now (and Synthroid was .175) after increasing gradually ( but really not too slowly, 1/2 grain every 2 weeks.)

I also started a compounded T3 formula.

The timing of my taking of the meds is all important, as I've tweaked my meds for my wellbeing.

Also, whereas my doc first recommended a moderatly low carb diet (Zone) after 6 months of treatment, he recommended for me true LC. And that is the key (for me) (and I think we are all different here)

I have lost a significant amount of weight (through LC). . .in 9 months I dropped 50+ lbs (I had lost 20 before with synthroid and LC) and with diligence slowly (this took 3 years) and with attention to both carbs and calories, and exercising much more dropped another 40.

The main difference is in the way I feel (as in human) which would make the Armour and bioidentical worth it if I hadn't lost weight.

BTW, my doc differentiates between low thryoid disease and autoimmune thyroid disease. I'm not really sure what all that means, but in his opinion, I have the more difficult to treat, autoimmune form of the disease. Thus the very large amount of Armour my body needs to make me "normal."

Other doctors totally think I am taking way too much thyroid. (conventional medicine)
HTH!
So what are the chances we could clone your doctor and bring him to Ohio About your comment which I bolded: what sort of doctor are you seeing now? Alternative? Naturopath??

I love reading thyroid success stories!! Thanks so much Magnamater, for sharing that. It gives me hope. (my docs won't even *bother* testing me for Hashimoto's because they say "it won't make any difference in the way we are treating you." Not one but 2 said that. I think that's poor medicine.

I find it encouraging to see you're maintaining and were successful in losing your weight. I've been in a stall for 3 months now, since stopping shhhhh...******* :blush: I can't tell you how frustrating that is!!
Locarb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:12 PM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!
 
peanutte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,677
Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
God, am I glad I poked my nose in here. Is there a general "club" or thread for those of us who have hypothyroidism?

This especially caught my eye:

Quote:
This week I switched to 30 mg of Armour Thyroid and I've got to tell you, I am feeling absolutely wonderful. I am losing weight!! Its just coming off and I"m doing absolutely nothing! I feel wonderful! My neighbor was the first to notice the weight loss even before I did and she commented about it. (I thought she was delierous!) My disposition has changed entirely! I cant believe it. Gone is the brain fog and the depression seems to have gone away.. I actually laughed at myself yesterday when I started to think of how nice it would be to take up a hobby like ice skating! Whats going on here??? In regards to the hair problem...its still falling out but as we all know, it might take a few weeks for that to calm down so I will keep you informed..but my scalp feels different too since I started taking this. When I was taking synthroid, my scalp feet "numb and dead"...no activity. Oils were collecting on my head quite quickly... Since I've been on the Amour, I feel my scalp again and the oil problem is not there. I'll let you know in a few weeks what happens..but I am optimistic.
I have not taken either of the drugs you are talking about, but I was put on 10 mg Lisonopril (which is a generic of Zestril) about a month ago and WOW, it there a difference.

I had no suspicion of having thyroid problems--I went to my OB/GYN because I had been having my period for THREE MONTHS. She is the one who insisted upon a blood test for thyroid issues.

She called me two days later and said "Oh boy...your thyroid is functioning at an EXTREMELY low level." So I got on the meds immediately.

In the past month I have lost nine pounds doing little more than very occasional walking, and watching my portions and cutting nighttime calories. But it feels pretty effortless and I am quite shocked that I have lost that much, since I had been eating in a healthful manner yet the weight had kept piling on! I have gained about fifty pounds in the last year and a half! I never could make any sense of it. I thought I was just eating too much and exercising too little, which was also true.

I also have very high blood pressure, which sucks.

But since taking the Lisonopril I am sleeping like a baby, have more energy, and feel better in general, I didn't realize how physically fatigues I had been., I could have had hypothyroidism for years and not known! I thank my OB/GYN for making me get tested, you'd better believe it.

Oh, and my scalp had become weirdly itchy in the past two or three years. It's not exactly dandruff, but more like scaly buildup. I canNOT stop scratching my head at times, so I hope this goes away in time. My arms also itch alot and have what looks like a light rash, or red irritated bumps. I hope that goes away too.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #43
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11
Gallery: NewYawker65
Itchy Scalp... and other good stuff

For Peanutte and the Whole Gang:

Welcome Peanutte!

Try "Nizoral Anti Dandruff Shamoo." I had heard from doing resesarch online that some thyroid patients said it helped with dandruff. You can buy it on ebay (where its way cheaper that retail.) YOU MUST GET THE 2% FORMULA They sell different percetages but the 2% is the best. I am looking at the box right now...and it says, "kills the fungus that can cause dandruff & seborrhea."

I know a bit about hair loss (but I dont know squat about thyroid problems). Hair loss is usually attributed to a high level of a hormone called DHT which some bodies overproduce and it winds up creating a large amount of oils on the head. Have you ever noticed how bald men always have shiny heads! They have high levels of DHT and its creating so much oil on their heads that their hair cant "push" through the skin..and those hairs that are able to push through eventually fall out because the high sebum (oil) levels on their scalp eventually suffocate the hair. A good shampoo that reduces the sebum on your scalp will eventually help reduce the hair loss. Nizoral might help your dandruff problem. If your problem is just hair loss... I would recommend "Hairprime"

In the past, I tried a line called Hairprime and it kicked butt and took numbers. Click on the below link which is highlighted and look at the before/after photos!

Clinically proven hair loss treatment for women and men

The shampoo reduces the DHT scalp buildup and the vitamin supplement reduces the DHT internally. Together they are a winner.

Hope this helps... Will give you all an update in 2 weeks to let you know if the amour is helping with the hair loss problem. I am just taking the amour...I'm not using any shampoo.. Right now, I've noticed a decrease in hair loss by about 15%. I am over the moon about this!!!

I'll keep y'all posted!
NewYawker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!
 
peanutte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,677
Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
Thanks for the welcome! I had been using Neutrogena's dandruff shampoo and it works so-so. I sometimes go weeks with a normal scalp and then it comes back. Thank God I don't seem to have hair loss. Or if I do, I haven't noticed it--I have really thick hair.
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #45
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11
Gallery: NewYawker65
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstickpam107 View Post
Heart palpitations can be symptoms of under/untreated other hormones (like progesterone, estrogen, etc.). It can also be a sign of adrenal insufficiency, especially at the low dosages you are quoting. As a patient, you own your own lab records, so get copies from now on to compare. My doctor's staff hand me copies of all labs, with ranges upon leaving the doc's office.

Pam
Pam:
You are right on ....with your suggestions. I was told 10 years ago by a doctor that I had a low progesterone level. I was told 2 years ago by another doctor that I had severe adrenal insufficiency. The problem is that I hate and dont use progesterone creams and I was lousy at taking the adrenal vitamin supplements Doctor #2 gave me...

I'm a bad girl.... I know....

And those 2 problems are likely what messed me up and got me to this point. I need a good doctor like yours in West Chester, PA that can do it all... The doctors here are old.....and old school... and dont address all the issues... only the thyroid ones...

I am feeling absolute fantastic on this amour. I wonder if that will help my progesterone and adrenal problem...

What are your thoughts?

Laura
NewYawker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 02:23 PM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Locarb4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: My Alternate Parallel Universe
Posts: 4,457
Gallery: Locarb4me
Stats: 200/182/150
WOE: Low Carbish
Start Date: 6/12/07
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
God, am I glad I poked my nose in here. Is there a general "club" or thread for those of us who have hypothyroidism?



I have not taken either of the drugs you are talking about, but I was put on 10 mg Lisonopril (which is a generic of Zestril) about a month ago and WOW, it there a difference.

I had no suspicion of having thyroid problems--I went to my OB/GYN because I had been having my period for THREE MONTHS. She is the one who insisted upon a blood test for thyroid issues.

She called me two days later and said "Oh boy...your thyroid is functioning at an EXTREMELY low level." So I got on the meds immediately.

In the past month I have lost nine pounds doing little more than very occasional walking, and watching my portions and cutting nighttime calories. But it feels pretty effortless and I am quite shocked that I have lost that much, since I had been eating in a healthful manner yet the weight had kept piling on! I have gained about fifty pounds in the last year and a half! I never could make any sense of it. I thought I was just eating too much and exercising too little, which was also true.

I also have very high blood pressure, which sucks.

But since taking the Lisonopril I am sleeping like a baby, have more energy, and feel better in general, I didn't realize how physically fatigues I had been., I could have had hypothyroidism for years and not known! I thank my OB/GYN for making me get tested, you'd better believe it.

Oh, and my scalp had become weirdly itchy in the past two or three years. It's not exactly dandruff, but more like scaly buildup. I canNOT stop scratching my head at times, so I hope this goes away in time. My arms also itch alot and have what looks like a light rash, or red irritated bumps. I hope that goes away too.
First of all, welcome, Peanutte!! There is a long thread which nonstickpam has been answering questions about hypothyroidism for a long time here. It takes a while to go through the whole thread but it will be well worth your time.

Did you know that lisinopril is what your doctor gave your for your blood pressure, not hypothyroidism? I used to work for AstraZeneca, the originators of Zestril. That's how I knew that

Did she put you on another drug such as Armour Thyroid or Synthroid? If not, you're not being treated yet for hypothyroidism.

I have suffered for a long time with super itchy scalp and I never equated it with hypothyroidism til recently. Amazing what happens when a bunch of us share our stories!

And thanks again to nonstickpam who puts up with our constant and never-ending questions
Locarb4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:59 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member
 
Doitnow!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 64
Gallery: Doitnow!
Stats: Ugh! I don't want to see that number in print
WOE: Moderate Low Carbs
Start Date: July 31, 2007
Locarb, please tell me more about the itchy scalp as it relates to hypthyrodism. I have not been diagnosed with hypo., but I have been dealing with itchy scalp for awhile, but I just attributed this symptom to my declining estrogen levels since I'm going through perimenopause. I have a goiter and my tsh level is about 1.44 (I must verify that number). I'm not on any medication for the goiter.

Peanutte, I took lisinopril for almost two months to regulate my high bp. Unfortunately, I'm unable to tolerate ACE inhibitors so I've since switched to a different type of bp med.

I am taking compounded progesterone which helps with many of my perimenopausal symptoms. When I stop I do have a return of heart palps., flashes, and mood swings to list a few.

After reading several posts I'm really wondering if some of my issues stem from my thyroid an/or adrenal gland. I'll find out later this week after seeing a new doctor. I pray that she's knowledgeable.
Doitnow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:33 PM   #48
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,562
Gallery: ljh150
I stumbled onto this thread searching for info on armour thyroid. I recently found out I have auto-immune problems due to my breast implants, (getting explanted and lifted next week, YAY!).

Anyhow, I suspect I have low thyroid as one of my symptoms, but my most obvious
symptom is Scleroderma on my hands and forearms. My temp seems low whenever I take it, but it is different each time, (using ear therm.). My hair is falling out a lot, good thing it's thick so no one else can tell. But handfuls will come out whenever I wash, blowdry, or brush it. My skin is dry and itchy. I need to do the research to see if there's a decent doctor to go to around here, but I doubt it. I will try my best, though.

Do you have to have an RX to get Armour thyroid, no way around it? My mom sells herbs and is very knowledgable on natural/alternative treatments, so I'm used to just taking something for a problem and adjusting as I see neccessary. I hate having to rely on a doctor for anything! I know you've talked about tests that need to be done periodically to see if dosage needs to be adjusted, are those blood tests? Could I just take the armour, see if it helps, and adjust from there w/out testing? (Another concern is we only have major medical coverage)
ljh150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #49
Way too much time on my hands!
 
peanutte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,677
Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
D'oh! I was looking at my prescription bottles and wrote down the wrong drug. It's L-Thyroxine I take for my thyroid, which is the generic of Synthroid.

Doitnow, you said you cannot tolerate ACE inhibitors? I don't even know what that means. What were your negative side effects on the Lisonopril?
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:10 AM   #50
Way too much time on my hands!
 
peanutte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,677
Gallery: peanutte
Stats: 188/118
WOE: Atkins maintenance
Start Date: 01/03/09
I googled and got some info from the Mayo clinic's website about ACE inbibitors.

Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors - MayoClinic.com
peanutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #51
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh150 View Post
I stumbled onto this thread searching for info on armour thyroid. I recently found out I have auto-immune problems due to my breast implants, (getting explanted and lifted next week, YAY!).

Anyhow, I suspect I have low thyroid as one of my symptoms, but my most obvious
symptom is Scleroderma on my hands and forearms. My temp seems low whenever I take it, but it is different each time, (using ear therm.). My hair is falling out a lot, good thing it's thick so no one else can tell. But handfuls will come out whenever I wash, blowdry, or brush it. My skin is dry and itchy. I need to do the research to see if there's a decent doctor to go to around here, but I doubt it. I will try my best, though.

Do you have to have an RX to get Armour thyroid, no way around it? My mom sells herbs and is very knowledgable on natural/alternative treatments, so I'm used to just taking something for a problem and adjusting as I see neccessary. I hate having to rely on a doctor for anything! I know you've talked about tests that need to be done periodically to see if dosage needs to be adjusted, are those blood tests? Could I just take the armour, see if it helps, and adjust from there w/out testing? (Another concern is we only have major medical coverage)

Yes Armour Thyroid (and all thyroid hormones) are Rx. only. YOu wouldn't 'want' to just 'trial' thyroid hormone without having a baseline testing (TSH, Free T4, Free T3, Anti TPO antibodies) and then would want to titrate carefully over a period of months with testing occurring every eight to twelve weeks. Taking thyroid hormone when you do not NEED it will harm the heart, make your hyPERthyroid, and present all sorts of problems, plus will 'take over' for the thyroid....it's something that needs to be taken the rest of a patient's life.

I worked two full time jobs at one point in my life to have enough money to cover my testing/treatment so I know how rough it is without medical insurance.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #52
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYawker65 View Post
Pam:
You are right on ....with your suggestions. I was told 10 years ago by a doctor that I had a low progesterone level. I was told 2 years ago by another doctor that I had severe adrenal insufficiency. The problem is that I hate and dont use progesterone creams and I was lousy at taking the adrenal vitamin supplements Doctor #2 gave me...

I'm a bad girl.... I know....

And those 2 problems are likely what messed me up and got me to this point. I need a good doctor like yours in West Chester, PA that can do it all... The doctors here are old.....and old school... and dont address all the issues... only the thyroid ones...

I am feeling absolute fantastic on this amour. I wonder if that will help my progesterone and adrenal problem...

What are your thoughts?

Laura
You're in PA? (I was in PA/OH for many years, it's very difficult to find a doc there...I know personally....lived in Sharon, PA and in Youngstown, OH area). Did you use the docfinder from the www.armourthyroid.com site? There are quite a few DO's in your area (going over toward Hubbard, OH line and in your area). We'll be moving near Franklin, PA area when we retire and i'll be travelling back HERE to IN for my thyroid doctoring.

No, that's opposite....your adrenals and other hormone levels need to be brought up before Armour, or upon trying to increase the thryoid hormone, you'll have your adrenals being insufficient to carry the increase.

NO ONE should take Armour or any thyroid hormone when their adrenals are low and have not been brought up first.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Pinot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 3,363
Gallery: Pinot
Pam ~ what is the proper test/tests to take to determine your adrenal levels? Is it something I can get at Healthcheck USA?

I got my Barnes Foundation list last week and I think I may have found a doctor at the Great Smokies Medical Center of Asheville. They're 3+ hours away from me, but I like everything I've read about this clinic so far. And Dr. John Wilson, in particular. I'll be calling his office today to double-check on a couple of things before requesting an appointment.
Pinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #54
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,562
Gallery: ljh150
I'm so confused! So, I would need an adrenal test along with the thyroid tests? Are these all bloodtests? What exactly should I be asking for?

I called around and found a doc here that does bio-identical hormones. But I was told he RX's Synthroid, ugghh! So, I found a doc fairly close to here on the Armour site and left a message at his #.

I've got to go in Wed. to get bloodwork for my upcoming surgery too.
ljh150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #55
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Rose View Post
Pam ~ what is the proper test/tests to take to determine your adrenal levels? Is it something I can get at Healthcheck USA?

I got my Barnes Foundation list last week and I think I may have found a doctor at the Great Smokies Medical Center of Asheville. They're 3+ hours away from me, but I like everything I've read about this clinic so far. And Dr. John Wilson, in particular. I'll be calling his office today to double-check on a couple of things before requesting an appointment.
Ask your doc for a 4x in one salivary test for adrenal cortex test. (you take it home and then mail it off or return to a lab).

Do a Google search for 'salivary adrenal cortex testing' and you'll get a list...think it used to be Great Smokies Labs (they are called something else now).

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #56
Thyroid Patient Advocate
 
nonstickpam107's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 17,682
Gallery: nonstickpam107
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljh150 View Post
I'm so confused! So, I would need an adrenal test along with the thyroid tests? Are these all bloodtests? What exactly should I be asking for?

I called around and found a doc here that does bio-identical hormones. But I was told he RX's Synthroid, ugghh! So, I found a doc fairly close to here on the Armour site and left a message at his #.

I've got to go in Wed. to get bloodwork for my upcoming surgery too.
If you already have a diagnosed autoimmune disease (Scleroderma? It's autoimmune, affects all the joints, etc.) than you'd want to be careful about testing. You'll want TSH, FT4, FT3, (blood testing) and 4x in one day salivary cortisol testing IF you have adrenal insufficiency symptoms.

Pam
nonstickpam107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:57 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11
Gallery: NewYawker65
Pam:
I got my bloodwork back today and as promised, here are the results.

Free T3 342 (normal is bet. 230-420)

Free T4 1.22 (normal is bet. 0.80-1.80)

[COLOR="Red"]TSH 3rd Generation
0.18 (normal is between 0.35-5.50)[/COLOR]


As you can see, my TSH level is low but I dont know what that means.

Ive had it with my doctor today and found another doctor. My next door neighbor has a good endo and she referred her to me. I have an appointment with the new endo on 12/17. I will speak with her regarding an adrenal test while I'm there with her.

I look forward to your reply...
NewYawker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member
 
Doitnow!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 64
Gallery: Doitnow!
Stats: Ugh! I don't want to see that number in print
WOE: Moderate Low Carbs
Start Date: July 31, 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutte View Post
Doitnow, you said you cannot tolerate ACE inhibitors? I don't even know what that means. What were your negative side effects on the Lisonopril?
Hello Peanutte . I ended up with the angioedema (my entire face swelled) while taking Lisinopril. It was a shock to me that the Lisinopril could cause this to occur since I had been taking it for awhile and several other family members also take this med. without any side effect. We are all so unique.
Doitnow! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #59
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 2,562
Gallery: ljh150
How would I know if I have adrenal insufficiency problems?
ljh150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
magnamater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,099
Gallery: magnamater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locarb4me View Post
So what are the chances we could clone your doctor and bring him to Ohio About your comment which I bolded: what sort of doctor are you seeing now? Alternative? Naturopath??

I love reading thyroid success stories!! Thanks so much Magnamater, for sharing that. It gives me hope. (my docs won't even *bother* testing me for Hashimoto's because they say "it won't make any difference in the way we are treating you." Not one but 2 said that. I think that's poor medicine.

I find it encouraging to see you're maintaining and were successful in losing your weight. I've been in a stall for 3 months now, since stopping shhhhh...******* :blush: I can't tell you how frustrating that is!!
Yikes, I answered yesterday and my post went to cyberspace or somewhere, it's not here. . .and it was really long!

I see a MD who specializes in all sorts of things such as thyroid, allergy, bioidentical hormones, adrenal fatigue. . .

I dropped the allergy treatment, but do Armour thyroid, a compound T3, bioidentical estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, what he calls cortisol, a compound for adrenal fatigue (after 5 years, I don't know what tests he's run, but he runs tests frequently, especially the first year.) I also take 5-HTP, a supplement, plus D, Calcium, Magnesium. . .and Fish Oil Caps. . .well, I've been a bit slack on the last supplements. . .but I take so much!!

The time of taking the meds is very important to me and my well being. I get better mileage out of taking the Thyroid 12 hrs. apart. . .but I think individual results differ.

My DH heard the doctor on talk radio, said he described me to a T, and gave the work up to me for Christmas. Best gift I ever got.

None of the treatment is covered by insurance.

The commitment is huge, but the results are amazing.

HTH!
magnamater is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:18 AM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.