Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home


Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member
 
cristress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 43
Gallery: cristress
Stats: 123.6/121.6/110.
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dec.2013
High Fat VS Low Fat Carb Diets

I was wondering if anyone has tried both the Stillman's diet and the Atkins diet and had some input as to how they compare? I have seen lots of people have great results on both but wanted to know if any have tried both and are able to give feedback? Thanks!
cristress is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member
 
Anonymousity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 306
Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
For me stills tends to be faster. I really struggle when I eat higher fat, so that's why I love stills. This is my third time trying it. Last summer I was able to lose 20 lbs in 20 days. Hoping for something close this time! (Trying so many times isn't a failure of this WOE, rather I have bad binging issues which are as of yet unresolved but I can keep them under control while I eat this way.)

But, my goal is to actually get below goal. This is not a lifetime WOE and I know I will get up to a 10 lb bounce when I switch my eating patterns.
__________________
Why yes, I AM allergic to bread!

Currently detoxing due to numerous food sensitivities.

Gluten, yeast, & soy free!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 867
Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
CUrious how you will switch Anonymousity? will you go to high fat?
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 867
Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
I am back and forth ( prob not good). I want to reach 112 and then I feel I can start really learning a new way to eat. The only thing I know is low carb- fats still confuse me.
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!
 
Demonica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern Indiana
Posts: 1,468
Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
When I first went on Atkins, the high fat worked fine for me. But after a while, the high fat made me stall and eventually gain. The fat fast did nothing for me and after 2 days I wanted PROTEIN!! Low fat seems to work better for me now. Once I get below goal I will slowly add in SOME fat (and veggies) and transition back to Atkins Light.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member
 
cristress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 43
Gallery: cristress
Stats: 123.6/121.6/110.
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dec.2013
I feel for me the low fat & pure protein is the toughest to stick to. I also don't do the greatest on high fat all day either, I change things up a lot! One day I did just eggs, with added butter for HB eggs, and a little cheese for an omelet.
That was an easy couple of days doing just eggs. The fat fast is really hard, and by far the most torturous. Today I am doing the same as yesterday which is one meal..yes high fat steak & 2 eggs. The steak is grilled but I add a little butter or cream to make it higher fat. Using the high fat at least some in foods helps to avoid constipation. I will not eat anymore after my 3pm meal.
cristress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:22 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 867
Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristress View Post
I feel for me the low fat & pure protein is the toughest to stick to. I also don't do the greatest on high fat all day either, I change things up a lot! One day I did just eggs, with added butter for HB eggs, and a little cheese for an omelet.
That was an easy couple of days doing just eggs. The fat fast is really hard, and by far the most torturous. Today I am doing the same as yesterday which is one meal..yes high fat steak & 2 eggs. The steak is grilled but I add a little butter or cream to make it higher fat. Using the high fat at least some in foods helps to avoid constipation. I will not eat anymore after my 3pm meal.
Hi


We might have similar thoughts-- high fat is hard for me but no fat doesn't work either. I see your stats are close to mine- how tall are you? Sounds like you are doing well and do you find mixing it up works for you?


Ty!
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:24 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 867
Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Demonica- congrats on your weight loss... Yep! I did Atkins years ago and itt worked but now it doesn't. Just a process I guess people tend to blame age but I don't believe that!
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member
 
Shreem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: east coast
Posts: 419
Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
low fat and protein is the only thing that really works for me. I maintain my goal weight very easily and feel very satisfied with stillmans. atkins will eventually cause me to gain weight. maybe not at first, but the fat makes me lethargic and my legs feel heavier for some reason. i do switch back to atkins now and again, but mainly stick with stillmans for higher energy and more positive moods.
Shreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 867
Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
low fat and protein is the only thing that really works for me. I maintain my goal weight very easily and feel very satisfied with stillmans. atkins will eventually cause me to gain weight. maybe not at first, but the fat makes me lethargic and my legs feel heavier for some reason. i do switch back to atkins now and again, but mainly stick with stillmans for higher energy and more positive moods.
I notice a huge difference when I eat more fat. As much as I try to tell myself, I need it, it doesnt resonate with me

So... you can confirm that stillmans can be a lifelong plan right?

I used to do this without even thinking about it but then I got all messed up with nuts, oils, fats, and blah blah blah...

may I ask what your weight/height is? I am small frame so everything shows on me.

one more question-- sorry-- did you start adding more veggies after the 2 weeks?
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member
 
cristress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 43
Gallery: cristress
Stats: 123.6/121.6/110.
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Dec.2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Hi


We might have similar thoughts-- high fat is hard for me but no fat doesn't work either. I see your stats are close to mine- how tall are you? Sounds like you are doing well and do you find mixing it up works for you?


Ty!
My height is 5'0, today I weighed in at 14.8lbs.
I started low/no carb on May 7th @ 123.6lbs. At first I just did meat sometimes higher fat. I slipped a couple days & ate fast food. On May 12th I weighed in that morning at 122lbs and only ate eggs for 2 days. I went down to 119lbs after that. Fat fast for 2 days on the 18th & 19th brought me down to 118lbs. After that it was 2 days of one meal only steak and eggs one day and bacon and eggs the second. I ate those meals no later than 3pm. That brought me to 114.8. I was sick all day yesterday, my son brought home the 24hr stomach bug so I only had sprite and soup. Today I am doing eggs, if I can stand it. So far they don't taste all that great but we will see.

Anyways, I really think calories does matter when losing weight. I also think for myself it helps if I don't eat in the evening after my last meal. I also cut out sodas, and no alcohol. I only drink water and coffee.
cristress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 867
Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Hi

I think that you are on a good plan.. just be careful, as you prob know.

Are you thinking that you can sustain this for life?
I hear you! I mix it up all the time and as long as I dont go over the carb count, I am usually ok. I workout alot right now.

Still trying to find what works best for my body...

Happy Low carb to you and I hope you feel better with that bug.

Today, I had more carbs because of my period, but I can't worry about it.. it was all low fat and veggies.. but still, I need to get back on track

Tomorrow is a new day.
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:05 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member
 
lumosity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 90
Gallery: lumosity
Stats: 146/139/125, 5'1
WOE: Stills
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
low fat and protein is the only thing that really works for me. I maintain my goal weight very easily and feel very satisfied with stillmans. atkins will eventually cause me to gain weight. maybe not at first, but the fat makes me lethargic and my legs feel heavier for some reason. i do switch back to atkins now and again, but
mainly stick with stillmans for higher energy and more positive moods.
Shreem, I am very happy to hear that you have maintained your loss with Stillmans. I am quite a ways away from that milestone, but can you share some tips on how you incorporate Stills in your maintenance diet?

TIA
lumosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:13 AM   #14
Senior LCF member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9,604
Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't give my plan a 'name' but it's basically very low carb (10-20g) and low fat.

When I began losing via low-carb (I'm very carb sensitive), I was having some serious gastro problems--and the only thing that helped was avoiding fat. All tests and scans were negative, and my doctor told me that since eating low fat helped, I should just continue.

After about a year, I could tolerate a little more fat, but not too much. I subsequently read that often 'senior' women (I'm 72) don't process fat well, and that may be true for me because my body seems to respond best to limited fat.

I've been maintaining my weight loss for close to 4 years, and when I gain a couple of pounds, I cut out fat and focus on protein exclusively for a few days to a week.

This works best for me.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:48 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member
 
lumosity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 90
Gallery: lumosity
Stats: 146/139/125, 5'1
WOE: Stills
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I don't give my plan a 'name' but it's basically very low carb (10-20g) and low fat.

When I began losing via low-carb (I'm very carb sensitive), I was having some serious gastro problems--and the only thing that helped was avoiding fat. All tests and scans were negative, and my doctor told me that since eating low fat helped, I should just continue.

After about a year, I could tolerate a little more fat, but not too much. I subsequently read that often 'senior' women (I'm 72) don't process fat well, and that may be true for me because my body seems to respond best to limited fat.

I've been maintaining my weight loss for close to 4 years, and when I gain a couple of pounds, I cut out fat and focus on protein exclusively for a few days to a week.

This works best for me.


Thanks. Your stats are extremely impressive.
lumosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:47 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!
 
Key Tones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,457
Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I'm trying to see if what happened in the past is repeatable.

Basically, I lost a lot of weight on low carb, but then got stuck. I did a very high fat plan and lost more weight, but then started to gain on it. I lost about 70 or 80 pounds doing low carb.

Eventually, I did a protein-sparing modified fast (similar to stillman's) but I can't stand eating lean meat so I did it with fat free greek yogurt. I lost about30 pounds doing that. I was dating at the time, so I would have a couple of "off" meals during the weekend, but they were small, healthy meals.

I then experimented with the "potato hack" that I had read about on paleo blogs. I lost more weight doing Seth Robert's Shangri/La plus bland paleo foods. I have re-tried some of this with no luck, I don't think these work at my weight.

I have lost my way now due to some unfortunate life events (more stress than I could handle) and managed to go backwards. I'm in the range where low carb did not work, meaning at my weight it does not work and causes weight gain, there is no doubt. I have tried, but fat just makes me gain weight. I am going back to PSMF for now. I have to do low carb and low fat for weight loss now.
__________________
I'm hanging out here:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member
 
Anonymousity's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 306
Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 195.2/190.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: August 8, 2014 (restart)
Peace---
Nope, LC is not a WOE for life for me. I have extensive food allergies and combining that issue with LC would mean a very restricted diet for me, and I know I don't want to deprive myself long term, as in I won't be able to do it. Everyone else can pretty much do LC and find something in a restaurant to eat, but I can't. If I add back in carbs, I will have a few options at least. LC/stills is just a means to an end. I know this is not a popular view on the main board, but we are all different and I know if others had my food issues, they would struggle doing LC long term as well. (That is, my food allergies go far beyond what little I have posted in my siggy.)
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 867
Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymousity View Post
Peace---
Nope, LC is not a WOE for life for me. I have extensive food allergies and combining that issue with LC would mean a very restricted diet for me, and I know I don't want to deprive myself long term, as in I won't be able to do it. Everyone else can pretty much do LC and find something in a restaurant to eat, but I can't. If I add back in carbs, I will have a few options at least. LC/stills is just a means to an end. I know this is not a popular view on the main board, but we are all different and I know if others had my food issues, they would struggle doing LC long term as well. (That is, my food allergies go far beyond what little I have posted in my siggy.)
Thanks for sharing. I am celiac, dairy free and allergic to soy and corn. I get it!
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Copyright ©1999-2014 Friends Forums LLC. All rights reserved. - Terms of Service | Privacy Policy
LowCarbFriends® is a registered mark of Friends Forums, LLC.