Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 111
WOE: stillmans
Higher FAT = Weight GAIN?

I need to ask fellow stillman people.

1- How long have you remained on Stillmans? Is this something you feel you could do for life?

2- Has anyone increased fat intake and noticed a weight gain? I keep reading all this stuff on high fat or even mod fat, and when I stay off stillmans, I gain weight.

3- Am I the only one in this world who feels that stillmans is the only plan for them? I know people say that they do it for a short time to lose weight, but I am talking for the long haul. I want a plan that works for me and pretty much for life?

Thoughts?
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CuteScoot
Stats: 253/216/145,5'4
WOE: Keto!!
Start Date: May 17th 2007,restarted May 29th 2014
Hi Peace,wassup!

I personally have been doing this diet on and off for 7 years,so I know ALL about it!Everybody loses weight differently on this diet,but I am one of the fortunate ones to lose weight on this at lightening speed...I guess Thats why I keep coming back to this,lol.I suppose this IS something you can do for the rest of your life,if you can handle it.I could do it forever,its just that I've noticed this diet makes me have REALLY BAD mood swings,to where I scare my hubby lol!So the longest I have ever stayed on this is 3 months at a time,and last time I lost 90 lbs in those 3 months!The problem I have,is that when I get off this,it takes NO TIME AT ALL to regain it back!I mean,I eat some cake,BAM,here's 5 lbs!And high fat Atkins is fine for maintaining once you've lost,but I can not lose weight on high fat low carb,I just stall really bad,and then when I do its super slow weight loss,like 2 lbs a week or some crap...and I dont know about you,but I'm an impatient person,and I just dont have the time to lose that slow,LOL!

But yes,I agree that you could do this for life if you wanted to!
CuteScoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lumosity
Stats: 146/139/125, 5'1
WOE: Stills
Start Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
I need to ask fellow stillman people.

1- How long have you remained on Stillmans? Is this something you feel you could do for life?

2- Has anyone increased fat intake and noticed a weight gain? I keep reading all this stuff on high fat or even mod fat, and when I stay off stillmans, I gain weight.

3- Am I the only one in this world who feels that stillmans is the only plan for them? I know people say that they do it for a short time to lose weight, but I am talking for the long haul. I want a plan that works for me and pretty much for life?

Thoughts?
(1) I am a relative newbie to Stillman's, but I have done Dukan in the past. I don't think I could do Dukan or Stillman's for life. But I do believe I can do Atkins for life, for maintenance. I cannot lose on Atkins, but I maintained while eating really well, and not starving. I liked the variety of meats and veggies, and I also incorporated full fat salad dressings.

(2) It might be a matter of calories. I don't know how tall you are, but when you say increase fat, are you talking about ADDING fat to everything? I think Dr Atkins was trying to get us away from fat phobia and only eating LEAN protein, i.e. the emphasis should be on eating regular meat with its natural fat not removed. I don't think he envisioned us going out of way to add extra fat to everything we eat. I don't think that would work for everyone.

(3) As I said above, Stillman's is a means to an end for me. I might come back to it after a vacation or similar, but for a lifetime woe, a low carb lifestyle with no restriction on veggie, fruit would work better for me. I plan to incorporate the Atkins carb ladder once I reach goal, and take it from there.

Hope this helps ! I don't think any of us can reach goal and just go back to eating the way we were prior to the loss. If we do, we will always be on the proverbial weight loss hamster wheel. Using everything we learn during the weight loss mode(s), we have to define a baseline for lifetime eating that would allow us to get off the hamster wheel, enjoy our food, and prevent us from feeling deprived. That is the challenge we all face !
lumosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you ladies.
Cute- Glad you understand and get it, yup, I like immediate results, but cant figure out what is keeping my weight on right now. I have been increasing my fat intake a bit with good fats like olive oil and ghee, and cant get my scale back to 115. I have been at 117-118 for 3 days now and a bit frustrating. I am trying to lose not gain for heavens sake.

Lumiosity- I have tried to increase fat as stated above but not a tremendous amount. I like your idea of the long haul. DARN IT! I cant lose these last few lbs and it is soooo frustrating.

I did eat a TON of protein before and since I cut back it seems like I am gaining? Weird..

Glad you are doing well. My moods are actually better on the stillman than any other plan. The only issue I have is sometimes I get really sad.. almost numb with only eating meat but I also have a lot going on with school/work/exercise.

Lets keep each other positive!!
Old 05-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I don't understand why you need a 'plan' for life--except your own plan.

For example, I've been maintaining for close to 4 years eating very low carb because I happen to be very carb sensitive. This is something I know I can do for the rest of my life because I love the food and don't feel the least deprived.

But I also eat fairly low fat as well because I don't tolerate fats well at all.

I also need to restrict calories, and I cycle calories informally--having higher and lower days throughout the week.

During my weight loss, I observed how my body responded to my food choices, and I've developed my WOE accordingly. It's not any published 'plan.' It's a WOE that works for me.

IMO, you should focus less on finding a 'plan' and instead develop a WOE that suits your body and lifestyle and enables you to effectively manage your weight.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
I don't understand why you need a 'plan' for life--except your own plan.

For example, I've been maintaining for close to 4 years eating very low carb because I happen to be very carb sensitive. This is something I know I can do for the rest of my life because I love the food and don't feel the least deprived.

But I also eat fairly low fat as well because I don't tolerate fats well at all.

I also need to restrict calories, and I cycle calories informally--having higher and lower days throughout the week.

During my weight loss, I observed how my body responded to my food choices, and I've developed my WOE accordingly. It's not any published 'plan.' It's a WOE that works for me.

IMO, you should focus less on finding a 'plan' and instead develop a WOE that suits your body and lifestyle and enables you to effectively manage your weight.

I think you are wise. I know my body for heavens sake... why do I try things that dont work for me. I am not a high fat girl, nor really low fat..

I need lower fat and protein. Only thing that works for me. So, mine as well go with it.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #7
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Peace-

If you try to follow all the advice on this board, you'll drive yourself crazy. Just focus on what works for you, what makes you feel well and helps you manage your weight.

The common belief in the 'need' for high fat if you're low carbing is nonsense for me because I lost all my weight (and have been maintaining) with only low to moderate fat. Keeping carbs low is the key for me, and that's what I focus on.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Peace-

If you try to follow all the advice on this board, you'll drive yourself crazy. Just focus on what works for you, what makes you feel well and helps you manage your weight.

The common belief in the 'need' for high fat if you're low carbing is nonsense for me because I lost all my weight (and have been maintaining) with only low to moderate fat. Keeping carbs low is the key for me, and that's what I focus on.
Makes sense to me, I sent you a Private Message..just so you know.

Thank you Leo, I need to chill out and listen to my gut.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumosity View Post
(1) I am a relative newbie to Stillman's, but I have done Dukan in the past. I don't think I could do Dukan or Stillman's for life. But I do believe I can do Atkins for life, for maintenance. I cannot lose on Atkins, but I maintained while eating really well, and not starving. I liked the variety of meats and veggies, and I also incorporated full fat salad dressings.

(2) It might be a matter of calories. I don't know how tall you are, but when you say increase fat, are you talking about ADDING fat to everything? I think Dr Atkins was trying to get us away from fat phobia and only eating LEAN protein, i.e. the emphasis should be on eating regular meat with its natural fat not removed. I don't think he envisioned us going out of way to add extra fat to everything we eat. I don't think that would work for everyone.

(3) As I said above, Stillman's is a means to an end for me. I might come back to it after a vacation or similar, but for a lifetime woe, a low carb lifestyle with no restriction on veggie, fruit would work better for me. I plan to incorporate the Atkins carb ladder once I reach goal, and take it from there.

Hope this helps ! I don't think any of us can reach goal and just go back to eating the way we were prior to the loss. If we do, we will always be on the proverbial weight loss hamster wheel. Using everything we learn during the weight loss mode(s), we have to define a baseline for lifetime eating that would allow us to get off the hamster wheel, enjoy our food, and prevent us from feeling deprived. That is the challenge we all face !
Hi

Thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate your insight.

Yes, adding a ton of fat is not going to work for me. I always gain and feel lethargic. The only issue I have right now is that I will need to reduce my protein portions then because I tend to overeat on protein when I don't have the fat. Always about balance.

So. Let me regroup and see what works for me:

No dairy
No Nuts
No condiments
No soy

What feels "right" to Peace: lean protein ( chicken, fish, egg whites, turkey, grass fed beef), lettuce, broc, broc slaw, onions ( not too many), peppers? not so much anymore. Mushrooms, scallions, all greens. zucchini ( not a ton though), celery. Any other low carb veggies????

I don't know why I am making this so complicated. I know what works..so I need to stop trying all different plans.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteScoot View Post
Hi Peace,wassup!

I personally have been doing this diet on and off for 7 years,so I know ALL about it!Everybody loses weight differently on this diet,but I am one of the fortunate ones to lose weight on this at lightening speed...I guess Thats why I keep coming back to this,lol.I suppose this IS something you can do for the rest of your life,if you can handle it.I could do it forever,its just that I've noticed this diet makes me have REALLY BAD mood swings,to where I scare my hubby lol!So the longest I have ever stayed on this is 3 months at a time,and last time I lost 90 lbs in those 3 months!The problem I have,is that when I get off this,it takes NO TIME AT ALL to regain it back!I mean,I eat some cake,BAM,here's 5 lbs!And high fat Atkins is fine for maintaining once you've lost,but I can not lose weight on high fat low carb,I just stall really bad,and then when I do its super slow weight loss,like 2 lbs a week or some crap...and I dont know about you,but I'm an impatient person,and I just dont have the time to lose that slow,LOL!

But yes,I agree that you could do this for life if you wanted to!

Hey you! How are you holding up? You around?? Hope all is well.