Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Stillman's (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/stillmans/)
-   -   New Here (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/stillmans/829233-new-here.html)

Peace 04-23-2014 08:38 AM

New Here

Hi All

I have been on the LC forum for some time, and back and forth with LCHF, but I am really thinking about trying Stillmans I am curious about the actual plan, I don't have the book, and I don't have much weight to lose; however, I am thinking long term and health benefits.

I understand on LCHF, the focus is on macros.

How much protein is typical on this plan?

SuzanneM 04-23-2014 11:30 AM

Hi Peace, if you go to the Stillmans Quick loss plan, sticky at the top of the page, it will give you all the details of the plan. It's heavy protein unlimited, no counting of macros.

Peace 04-23-2014 12:41 PM

Hi Suzanne
Thanks so much. I looked at the list.. Very protein heavy. I feel like that is what my body is used to, but I wonder if that is the best approach.. all this talk about heavy fats confuses the heck out of me.

SuzanneM 04-23-2014 01:05 PM

It's definitely not a long term plan, a great way to lose a few pounds fast, and get into ketosis. A lot of us, alternate it with Atkins style eating, because it really is boring and strict.

Peace 04-23-2014 04:07 PM

Thank god... So it is possible to alternate it with Atkins? I wasn't sure if I was confusing things if I did that, ty for the clarification. I have to go grocery shopping after gym this evening. So confused because I don't even know what to buy for food anymore.

Now I even question all the veggies I was eating before.

maximumdensity 04-23-2014 04:51 PM

Hi All,
I want to mention a book I have been reading that is worth the time. "Feed Your Brain Lose Your Belly" written by Larry McCleary MD. Fat is not the enemyit has been made out to be.
Best Wishes All

Peace 04-24-2014 01:52 PM

I am not sure how long this will last, but I know for sure one thing:: Today, I had nothing but a grill chicken breast and tiny piece of grill salmon. It felt awesome to not think about food. I still have a long way to go, but I do think I am on the way.

Peace 04-24-2014 08:46 PM

Maximum - I agree that fat does not make us fat. I don't fear it, but I think I need to start back at high protein to kick me into ketosis and then add fats. Just not there yet. I have read enough to know we need fat!! It is good for us, but I do think it is highly individualised on how much each person needs. Does that make sense? :)

maximumdensity 05-08-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace (Post 16888403)
Maximum - I agree that fat does not make us fat. I don't fear it, but I think I need to start back at high protein to kick me into ketosis and then add fats. Just not there yet. I have read enough to know we need fat!! It is good for us, but I do think it is highly individualised on how much each person needs. Does that make sense? :)

yes Peace it does. I personally after reading the book added ESSENTIAL fatty acids ( no essential carbs- just saying ) and it has kept me far more satisfied. Plus your body needs them. In case you want to know I have added coconut oil, flax seed oil and omega 3 fish oil. I also love avocodos and have always used EVOO. Most days I get about 300 at least calories from fat.

In the book I was really struck by the fact that when the "low fat" guide lines came out in the seventies, obesetity increased, as well as ADD/ADHD and Alzhemiers. Brain matter is made up of fat.....:up:

And don't get me wrong I know we need protein , a little bit of carb too. I by know means have the answers and I personally don't think I could go HIGH fat I am a carnivore thats part of why Atkins is my plan choice.

Hope we all have great sucess!:jumpjoy:

Peace 05-08-2014 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maximumdensity (Post 16904507)
yes Peace it does. I personally after reading the book added ESSENTIAL fatty acids ( no essential carbs- just saying ) and it has kept me far more satisfied. Plus your body needs them. In case you want to know I have added coconut oil, flax seed oil and omega 3 fish oil. I also love avocodos and have always used EVOO. Most days I get about 300 at least calories from fat.

In the book I was really struck by the fact that when the "low fat" guide lines came out in the seventies, obesetity increased, as well as ADD/ADHD and Alzhemiers. Brain matter is made up of fat.....:up:

And don't get me wrong I know we need protein , a little bit of carb too. I by know means have the answers and I personally don't think I could go HIGH fat I am a carnivore thats part of why Atkins is my plan choice.

Hope we all have great sucess!:jumpjoy:

Hi
Thanks so much. This is good insight. I think this might be part of my issue lately with why I am having a hard time focusing in school ( other than being exhausted with my PhD work, tutoring and teaching. I have a HEAVY mental load and then I also try to workout to keep me healthy.

Anyhow, I really need to work on increasing my fat intake.

Thanks for the thoughts.

I also noticed my mood is different when I eat low fat-- if you read what I posted in may challenge, you will see how I feel after I have had FLAX and some almond butter ( not too much), but in general.. really funky ( almost fog like) when I get out of ketosis. I need my protein. Bottom line... and some fat.

maximumdensity 05-09-2014 12:35 PM

Peace,
it is all about finding the right balance. For me adding the fats really has improved so many things. Examples would be dietary satisfaction, eyesight, mental clarity, less joint pain, my skin feels less dry, etc.

Your last post mentions what you are up against. I hope you are getting enough sleep, vitamins and exercise as well. Get your protein and a few carbs too.

-what is your field of study?

Best Wishes :)

Peace 05-09-2014 09:03 PM

Hi Maximum

Believe it or not.. rehabilitation counseling. Yes, I want to help others learn how to be healthy mind, healthy body. Need to practice what I preach.

I feel better now that I am integrating more fat, and need to just GO WITH IT. I am trying to get the sleep, take vitamins and yes, I need my exercise or I am miserable.

just curious, where are you in the Midwest? I am here as well. ( you don't have to answer.. just curious).

ahhh.. your very inspirational because I noticed those issues without the fat, so that must mean something. My joints ached, eyesight and definitely more mental clarity with more food. I probably was not eating enough before, maybe??

I had my burger, lettuce and tiny bit of broc.. was able to finally sit my toosh down and finish a paper. One more to go!! Then, a small break before my studying for the prelim exam. ( not that you care...:) just wanted to share.

hope you are well.

Peace 05-09-2014 09:07 PM

Ohhh.. just want to mention that in the past when I have increased my fat intake, I have gained and then I go back on this LOW FAT kick, so I need to just chill out and let nature take its course. Easier said when I read on this forum everyone losing weight and then I gain when I eat too much fat.. does that make sense? My goal is NOT to gain for heavens sake but not to lose to much either. Aghhhh.... it will happen. I just need to stay focused for the long run. I don't think I could ever go really HIGH fat though. Even my beef was 90/10 and then I had to put it on the George, but it was a START, so I will let it go at that.

Again.. rambling... lol