Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #121
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makemeslim
Stats: Reached Goal!
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: 28th May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdana View Post
Thanks! I printed off the instructions for the Stillmans' 14 day Shape Up Program. I think that will work nicely for me since I have some LC veggies to use up. I'm going to forgo the allowed 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese and instead allow myself up to 1 TBSP of half n half/daily for my coffee.

I feel really good about doing this. I've always had success when I go high protein in combination with low fat. I hate to say it but it was all the "up the fat--it's better for weightloss!" comments on lcf that steered me onto the track of gaining from my initial losses the very first time I did low carb, binged/regained on a SAD diet, and then went back to LC. I mean, staying lowish-carb (30-45/day) with high fat did allow me to maintain my weight/kept me out of the "overweight" category (which I am now, sadly, slightly in), but I never lost while eating that way. At this point, I definitely have at least 10 lbs to lose and so that WOE isn't right for me at this time.

Although it is undoubtedly my fault for experimenting with a "healthy version" of higher carb diet this past fall, I blame birth control for making me adverse to meat. Normally, I love meat but during my time on this bcp the idea of eating it made me nauseous. That is honestly what spurred the "maybe a healthy version of a medium/high carb diet would be okay for me after all". Yeah, no. Fake hormones + carbs when your body is no longer used to using them = brand spankin' new adipose tissue. Yes, I know it--I didn't just refill my old fat cells (because they were already fully filled up, trust me), I grew new ones.

This panicked me and I quit the pill on Thanksgiving. I have not lost an iota since, eating the way I have. I stopped gaining though, thankfully. So, the damage could have been much worse. Total gain since last September has been about 12 lbs, but "only" 5 lbs of that is brand-new-to-my-body fat.

I never want to grow new fat cells ever again, because there is no way of getting rid of them without surgery. Even if you do get lipo, there is substantial evidence that your body KNOWS how many fat cells were lost and they end up regenerating in a new spot on your body! Holy crap, right?

So yeah, my reality is this: VLC until I get back to my pre-pill weight AT LEAST. If I can get down another 5-6 lbs to 130, even better. At that point, I will accept that weight loss will probably slow or stop altogether as my body (and genetic background) has always favored a heavier weight than others my height. I will then slooowly transition to atkins induction, which will allow me to add some healthy fats back in. I don't believe I will lose much if at all during this transition, but my goal is to keep the weight OFF, not lose until I trigger my body's BINGE reaction.
I missed this post the first time round.
Although I can't stand this extra weight and I am doing a quick weight loss plan to jump start things, I am willing to let the weight come off slowly. I want lasting results. Thankfully, I have no trouble following a LC lifestyle as long as I can eventually eat fats again and as long as I stay far, far away from starches, sugars, and all other no-no's.

Yesterday was day 1. Made it through swimmingly. I feel like if I can make it through 3 days, I will be able to continue on for the semi-long haul.
I missed this post the first time around. I've never taken the pill, just never liked the idea of it but I know from friends who take it that weight gain is certainly a side effect. About the fat cells....I heard a theory that after a long period of maintaining your weight, old shrunken fat cells are destroyed by the body as opposed to wasting the energy in takes to hold on to them. Of course it's just a theory but I like it so I tend to believe its true.
makemeslim is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #122
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles1982 View Post
Are chicken drumsticks legal on stillman's? Iade a whole crock pot full of them and they are delicious! Minus the skin, of course!
I personally don't use them when doing Stillman's (I'm doing Atkins induction at the mo) but with the skin off, I doubt they would be that bad. They are not on the acceptable foods list though.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #123
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Verdana
Stats: 143/140.8/130
WOE: Dairy-free keto, my own way
Start Date: July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeslim View Post
I missed this post the first time around. I've never taken the pill, just never liked the idea of it but I know from friends who take it that weight gain is certainly a side effect. About the fat cells....I heard a theory that after a long period of maintaining your weight, old shrunken fat cells are destroyed by the body as opposed to wasting the energy in takes to hold on to them. Of course it's just a theory but I like it so I tend to believe its true.
The thing is I KNEW going in that the pill could make me gain. I thought that this knowledge would somehow prevent me from gaining because I'd have the power of choice. I did not anticipate it giving me a meat-aversion, and I also did not anticipate it making me lose control of my calorie intake. Oh well, live and learn. The pill = never again. I certainly hope what you heard about fat cells dying is a real thing. I want nothing more than to be able to keep my weight reduced this time around. The first time I lost too much and the effect was that I rebound binged and then developed an eating disorder as a result of the binge eating. Not good.

Today so far I've had two eggs and 1 and 1/2 small chicken breasts divided over two meals. Also, 1 TBSP of half n half and two packets of sugar free sweetener. Normally I use liquid sucralose but I was on campus and had to settle. I needed my afternoon caffeine fix before class!

Last edited by Verdana; 01-22-2014 at 01:49 PM..
Verdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:34 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skittles1982
Stats: 5ft 2in- 135/125/115
WOE: Atkins, Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 7 August 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawp11 View Post
I would say so. A grilled drumstick is only a few more cals and a gram of fat more than a grilled chicken tender.

How'd you crockpot them? I am always looking for ideas!
Whew! Glad to hear it cuz I crocked a bunch of them! All I did was put a bunch of seasonings on the drumsticks and I put lots of garlic on the bottom of the crock pot and then I put the drumsticks in and poured about a cup if chicken broth over them. I let it cook for like 12 hours. They are SO GOOD!
skittles1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:51 AM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mariad
Stats: 162 goal 140 approx
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: March 2007
74.1 for me today after having a few disasters, hope everyone has a good day xx not in the pink with my stix but still dropped almost a kilo xx
mariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #126
Junior LCF Member

142.4 lbs just now, on the morning of day 3. I am down ~2.5 lbs.

I had a weird reaction last night. I came home from my studio around 2am and peeled off my sweater only to see that I had broken out all over my chest and back on skin that was mostly clear that same morning. Now, I've always had skin issues but reactions this violent have only happened after I consumed a generous amount of sugar. My skin was clearly inflamed--it was nuts! So after stripping down I got in the shower only to have this immense pain shoot through the big toe on my left foot for no reason at all. It hurt for a good 15-20 minutes before calming down. I can't be certain, but I believe it was a gout flare-up which I've never had but I do have relatives who get them frequently. It's like my body was having some sort of tripped-out reaction to absolutely nothing. It's not like I accidently ate something I shouldn't have. My last meal had been at 5pm and consisted of a chicken breast and an egg, two foods I've never had any problems with.

Has anyone had a reaction like this after starting a diet? Like, could it have something to do with the body switching to fat-burning mode?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Verdana, anything different? Soap, shampoo, laundry soap?
CCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
The thing is I KNEW going in that the pill could make me gain. I thought that this knowledge would somehow prevent me from gaining because I'd have the power of choice. I did not anticipate it giving me a meat-aversion, and I also did not anticipate it making me lose control of my calorie intake. Oh well, live and learn. The pill = never again. I certainly hope what you heard about fat cells dying is a real thing. I want nothing more than to be able to keep my weight reduced this time around. The first time I lost too much and the effect was that I rebound binged and then developed an eating disorder as a result of the binge eating. Not good.

Today so far I've had two eggs and 1 and 1/2 small chicken breasts divided over two meals. Also, 1 TBSP of half n half and two packets of sugar free sweetener. Normally I use liquid sucralose but I was on campus and had to settle. I needed my afternoon caffeine fix before class!
The thing I'm trying most to work on is maintenance. I was at goal this time last year and although I thought I had it all Sussed out, I did not. I really need to find something I can stick with for a lifetime. I have heard and believe that after losing a large amount of weight, our bodies for a long time try and get us back to where we were as it thinks it's a normal weight for us. This ties in with my other theory and I believe that after sometime it gives up and accepts the new weight. I believe this is when the old fat cells are possibly destroyed. I have no science to back this up of course but I have lived through it and it seems the most logical answer to me. I was slim most of my adult life and before I gained weight, I never counted carbs or calories but always stayed at the exact same weight. It was like my body new where it wanted to be and did the work to get rid of any excess calories I may have consumed. I think there is a theory out there somewhere that considers this idea. I started gaining weight when I introduced wine into my life. If I honestly think about it the weight I regained recently is more than likely down to wine. I don't have to drink much to gain weight. After a glass of wine I could eat two dinners ! So when I get to goal, wine is something I will only ever have occasionally. Trouble is everywhere you go there is always wine on the menu and you kind of get sucked in....well I did. Visiting a friend usually equals take a bottle. Meet up for lunch, share a bottle. Dinner parties are the same, always wine!

Last edited by makemeslim; 01-23-2014 at 08:44 AM..
Old 01-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #129
LCD
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LCD
Stats: 167/142/130
WOE: Stillmans
Start Date: March 2012
I have done Stillman's for years, am 57 now and started first round when I was 23 years old. I have always used any chicken and all I wanted to eat, that includes the legs. So it is a personal choice on what meats to eat, but chicken is a legal food on this diet or way of eating. Whichever you wish to call it. Everyone is different and does lose at their own rate - the sticky notes are at the top of the Stillman's page and are good to go by. Any poultry is allowed and should be, this way of eating is quite limited - huge successes can be done with weight loss if followed as Dr. Stillman states. Good luck and I do believe I have feathers from all the chicken I have eaten.
LCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #130
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

suss (ss)
tr.v. sussed, suss·ing, suss·es Slang
1. To infer or discover; figure out: "I think I'm good at sussing out what's going on" (Ry Cooder).
2. To size up; study: "Suss out the designers in whom you are interested" (Lucia van der Post).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Probably short for suspect.]
Old 01-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #131
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
suss (ss)
tr.v. sussed, suss·ing, suss·es Slang
1. To infer or discover; figure out: "I think I'm good at sussing out what's going on" (Ry Cooder).
2. To size up; study: "Suss out the designers in whom you are interested" (Lucia van der Post).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Probably short for suspect.]
Hahaha! Really! You don't use that word where you are?! Suss kind of has the air that you have been astute if that makes sense. It's when you work things out cleverly. "I Sussed it", in relation to working out someone was out to rip you off, means you clocked on. I'm useless at explaining but I hope you caught my drift.

Last edited by makemeslim; 01-23-2014 at 04:15 PM..
Old 01-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #132
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
Verdana, anything different? Soap, shampoo, laundry soap?

Nope! I'm still scratching my head over it, but at least I feel fine today. And I registered a loss on the scale so...

Makemeslim, I understand the drinking prob all too well. Not an alcoholic at all but I would drink nightly if it didn't directly contribute to being fatter than I'd like. I'm a vodka girl. I have several bottles in a remote cabinet so I don't have to look at them all the time. Because I do crave it.

Oh and here's an interesting discussion about fat cell death: Fat cells - do they ever disappear? - Paleohacks

It's hard to figure out exactly what's going on in the body w/ adipocytes.

As much as it sucks, I know that a strict and continual diet/way of eating is the only thing that will keep my weight in the average range. It kind of scares me that one of the handful of long-term success stories on this board--Nolcjunk, I think--has to stay low carb and watch her calories every.fricken.day. And trust me, I know all about eating this way for a continuous period and I *still* encountered cravings even after a good six months of not cheating at all. And I don't mean little annoying cravings either. I mean cravings that lasted for weeks, and cravings that were oddly very specific such as peanut butter, bananas, and dried fruit.

I'm mostly convinced that part of the problem before (besides losing a little too much weight) was that I was not meeting some minimum micronutrient requirements. So this time around I'm tracking on Cronometer. It seems I never get nearly enough of the recommended daily value for vitamin E, thiamine, zinc, potassium, magnesium and--weirdly enough since I obviously eat a lot of meat--iron. Recent tests I've had confirmed a slight iron deficiency. I've been very careful about supplementing with it because I hear iron overload can happen easily, but so far I feel pretty good. I've been supplementing with the other "missing" micros recently too and I swear I'm a little more positive than normal. Also, my memory has been strangely fantastic. I'm used to being the one who can't remember jack-sh^t, but I managed to memorize the names of 40 students in a single day without trying very hard. This was just last week, and since then I've been amazingly efficient and uncharacteristically absorbed in scholarly material.

I'm quite sure it isn't just a placebo effect. My brain is definitely working better.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Just food for thought re: things that can be done to possibly prevent the body from resisting a lower weight (and/or a lower calorie intake).

Last edited by Verdana; 01-23-2014 at 07:13 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mariad
Stats: 162 goal 140 approx
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: March 2007
I hear you on the wine girls, we live a very party lifestyle here in Spain, all our friends or most of them are early retirees and all drinkers, I used to drink tons of cider each week as I find it refreshing especially with ice in in the summer, wine is my all time favourite but gets me pickled too quick, so, now have the odd glass at home.having said that, im now into g n t and it doesnt stall me too much, just have to be careful what I eat when ive had a few sherbets as tend to throw caution to the wind.

chicken is my fave and could eat it 5 times a week if it wasnt for hubby, he likes it but thinks he'll start clucking if I give it to him more than 3 times a week. Peeing pink again today and weighed 72.7 this morning so back on the happy trail, great posts girls and glad you're feeling better today verdana, very strange eh ? Ok have a great day my chickadees, catch up later xx
mariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:07 AM   #134
Major LCF Poster!

So today I have reached day 7 and I plan to weigh tomorrow. I certainly feel less bloated but am unsure how I have done. The first ever time I did Atkins, I lost really well but I had not yet bought the book and so was very careful with what I ate. It's so long ago, I can't remember the foods I ate but I do remember it being very limited. After buying the book and realising that there were many more foods that were acceptable, I seemed not to lose when i followed Atkins. I don't lose eating the high fat version of meat and eggs either but I have seen that lots of folk do. I've cut out cream and butter this time around as I feel they might have been a problem for me. I've also been very strict with my cheese intake too. If I have not lost anything in two weeks I will probably return to Stillman's. If I've gained weight, I'll return sooner rather than later. Stillman's works amazingly for me but I do find it hard to get started and to stick to it so I'm hoping that Atkins will be the answer for me.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:24 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariad View Post
I hear you on the wine girls, we live a very party lifestyle here in Spain, all our friends or most of them are early retirees and all drinkers, I used to drink tons of cider each week as I find it refreshing especially with ice in in the summer, wine is my all time favourite but gets me pickled too quick, so, now have the odd glass at home.having said that, im now into g n t and it doesnt stall me too much, just have to be careful what I eat when ive had a few sherbets as tend to throw caution to the wind.

chicken is my fave and could eat it 5 times a week if it wasnt for hubby, he likes it but thinks he'll start clucking if I give it to him more than 3 times a week. Peeing pink again today and weighed 72.7 this morning so back on the happy trail, great posts girls and glad you're feeling better today verdana, very strange eh ? Ok have a great day my chickadees, catch up later xx
I'm following Atkins and as a result, I've been eating lots of drumsticks and wings this week. I was in love with them at the begging of the week but it's worn off now and I'm kind of sick of them. Glad you are on the happy trail. Hopefully, I'm right behind you....I'll know tomorrow when I weigh in. I also like GnT so in future when I drink, that will be my preferred choice.

Last edited by makemeslim; 01-24-2014 at 04:25 AM..
Old 01-24-2014, 04:50 AM   #136
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Nope! I'm still scratching my head over it, but at least I feel fine today. And I registered a loss on the scale so...

Makemeslim, I understand the drinking prob all too well. Not an alcoholic at all but I would drink nightly if it didn't directly contribute to being fatter than I'd like. I'm a vodka girl. I have several bottles in a remote cabinet so I don't have to look at them all the time. Because I do crave it.

Oh and here's an interesting discussion about fat cell death: Fat cells - do they ever disappear? - Paleohacks

It's hard to figure out exactly what's going on in the body w/ adipocytes.

As much as it sucks, I know that a strict and continual diet/way of eating is the only thing that will keep my weight in the average range. It kind of scares me that one of the handful of long-term success stories on this board--Nolcjunk, I think--has to stay low carb and watch her calories every.fricken.day. And trust me, I know all about eating this way for a continuous period and I *still* encountered cravings even after a good six months of not cheating at all. And I don't mean little annoying cravings either. I mean cravings that lasted for weeks, and cravings that were oddly very specific such as peanut butter, bananas, and dried fruit.

I'm mostly convinced that part of the problem before (besides losing a little too much weight) was that I was not meeting some minimum micronutrient requirements. So this time around I'm tracking on Cronometer. It seems I never get nearly enough of the recommended daily value for vitamin E, thiamine, zinc, potassium, magnesium and--weirdly enough since I obviously eat a lot of meat--iron. Recent tests I've had confirmed a slight iron deficiency. I've been very careful about supplementing with it because I hear iron overload can happen easily, but so far I feel pretty good. I've been supplementing with the other "missing" micros recently too and I swear I'm a little more positive than normal. Also, my memory has been strangely fantastic. I'm used to being the one who can't remember jack-sh^t, but I managed to memorize the names of 40 students in a single day without trying very hard. This was just last week, and since then I've been amazingly efficient and uncharacteristically absorbed in scholarly material.

I'm quite sure it isn't just a placebo effect. My brain is definitely working better.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Just food for thought re: things that can be done to possibly prevent the body from resisting a lower weight (and/or a lower calorie intake).
Glad you are feelin good! Wow, 40 names is impressive! Good old ketosis! Oh and thanks for the link, it is interesting. I hate the scare stories that at the end of the day, say that once I'm fat, I'll always be fat, even when I'm thin. Fat cells definitely can destroy themselves in my world.

Last edited by makemeslim; 01-24-2014 at 04:53 AM..
Old 01-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #137
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariad View Post
It is sooo hard when your social circle drinks on a regular basis! When I turn down the booze people wonder if I'm sick or otherwise not well, haha. And I miss it too not only for the happy buzz effect but also because it really does make me more comfortable in social situations (I'm a high-anxiety type).

Quote:
So today I have reached day 7 and I plan to weigh tomorrow. I certainly feel less bloated but am unsure how I have done. The first ever time I did Atkins, I lost really well but I had not yet bought the book and so was very careful with what I ate. It's so long ago, I can't remember the foods I ate but I do remember it being very limited. After buying the book and realising that there were many more foods that were acceptable, I seemed not to lose when i followed Atkins. I don't lose eating the high fat version of meat and eggs either but I have seen that lots of folk do. I've cut out cream and butter this time around as I feel they might have been a problem for me. I've also been very strict with my cheese intake too. If I have not lost anything in two weeks I will probably return to Stillman's. If I've gained weight, I'll return sooner rather than later. Stillman's works amazingly for me but I do find it hard to get started and to stick to it so I'm hoping that Atkins will be the answer for me.
For your sake I hope Atkins is working--more variety in food choices is a nice thing! It's hard for me to remember exactly what I ate when I first started in the fall of 2009 too. I do remember snacking on cheese and salami, using regular splenda packets in my coffee, and resisting food if I didn't feel hungry. I may have also allowed myself one small packet of almonds/day some weeks. I also remember that when I tried to loosely add in foods higher in carbs (primarily nuts) I began to gain weight. So I cut those out entirely.

It was after that point that I did a very "clean" low carb for the next six months. I added jogging for 30 minutes every other day to speed up my losses. I burned off ~32 lbs in total and I was not overweight to begin with. I loved how I looked--loved it! The compliments were great, shopping was a blast, and the male attention I got (single then and single now) was awesome. To this day I remember the exact moment that my body said "enough". It started with low carb ice cream, which I stupidly thought I could portion out as an occasional treat since I had made it to goal. Yeah--I ate it in two days. Although I felt super crappy from the ice cream I suddenly had an intense craving for salted almonds. Thinking that I would get right back on the wagon after a couple-day reward fest, I bought a can. And ate the whole damn thing in one day. From there it was all a downward slide into low carb binge-town, and then into SAD junkfood. I gained 20 lbs in a month. A MONTH!! After wallowing in panic and self pity for a good couple months as I tried and failed to get back into the low carb groove, I checked out Stillmans here. I started it the same day and managed to re-lose all but 7 lbs. I was doing all meat and no veggies and I didn't have an exit plan. After about a month and a half I couldn't stand it any longer and began adding bacon and other fatty foods in. Then I added in vegetables and higher-Atkins rung foods. I regained the weight but slowly. I still looked pretty good and I continued eating like that for years. Except for the bouts of binge eating junkfood and sugar. And the purging that followed. Binging was always preceded by strong cravings. They happened more frequently than I'd like to admit and then things got really out of hand.

But I got myself out of that cycle for the most part. I had to accept that weight gain was in my future if I cut out purging. In the end I had no choice but to stop as my health had been so badly affected.

So anyhoo, here I am now. I weighed in at 140.8 this morning and am down 4.2 lbs after 3 days. Awesome! I never thought I'd be happy to see the 130s--I used to consider that my fata$$-range. Maybe I'll get there tomorrow, fingers crossed
Old 01-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #138
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It is sooo hard when your social circle drinks on a regular basis! When I turn down the booze people wonder if I'm sick or otherwise not well, haha. And I miss it too not only for the happy buzz effect but also because it really does make me more comfortable in social situations (I'm a high-anxiety type).

For your sake I hope Atkins is working--more variety in food choices is a nice thing! It's hard for me to remember exactly what I ate when I first started in the fall of 2009 too. I do remember snacking on cheese and salami, using regular splenda packets in my coffee, and resisting food if I didn't feel hungry. I may have also allowed myself one small packet of almonds/day some weeks. I also remember that when I tried to loosely add in foods higher in carbs (primarily nuts) I began to gain weight. So I cut those out entirely.

It was after that point that I did a very "clean" low carb for the next six months. I added jogging for 30 minutes every other day to speed up my losses. I burned off ~32 lbs in total and I was not overweight to begin with. I loved how I looked--loved it! The compliments were great, shopping was a blast, and the male attention I got (single then and single now) was awesome. To this day I remember the exact moment that my body said "enough". It started with low carb ice cream, which I stupidly thought I could portion out as an occasional treat since I had made it to goal. Yeah--I ate it in two days. Although I felt super crappy from the ice cream I suddenly had an intense craving for salted almonds. Thinking that I would get right back on the wagon after a couple-day reward fest, I bought a can. And ate the whole damn thing in one day. From there it was all a downward slide into low carb binge-town, and then into SAD junkfood. I gained 20 lbs in a month. A MONTH!! After wallowing in panic and self pity for a good couple months as I tried and failed to get back into the low carb groove, I checked out Stillmans here. I started it the same day and managed to re-lose all but 7 lbs. I was doing all meat and no veggies and I didn't have an exit plan. After about a month and a half I couldn't stand it any longer and began adding bacon and other fatty foods in. Then I added in vegetables and higher-Atkins rung foods. I regained the weight but slowly. I still looked pretty good and I continued eating like that for years. Except for the bouts of binge eating junkfood and sugar. And the purging that followed. Binging was always preceded by strong cravings. They happened more frequently than I'd like to admit and then things got really out of hand.

But I got myself out of that cycle for the most part. I had to accept that weight gain was in my future if I cut out purging. In the end I had no choice but to stop as my health had been so badly affected.

So anyhoo, here I am now. I weighed in at 140.8 this morning and am down 4.2 lbs after 3 days. Awesome! I never thought I'd be happy to see the 130s--I used to consider that my fata$$-range. Maybe I'll get there tomorrow, fingers crossed
Nuts are something I avoid bc I just don't seem to be able to limit them! I re read a large part of the Atkins book today and I'm so glad I did TBH. It's been years since I last read it and I had forgotten little bits. I especially enjoyed reading about the supporting experiments. A lot of which support LC regardless of fat intake. I really feel like I've turned a corner. All I need now is to jump on the scale tomorrow and see a gain....perhaps I should put it off until next week?!! I've had issues in the past with purging but for the most part it's under control for me. I think it last happened 3 months ago but these days, I nip it in the bud within a day or two so it's not really an issue for me anymore, although I'm watchful of course. On average, I feel that way a couple of times a year at most.

Last edited by makemeslim; 01-24-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Old 01-24-2014, 01:24 PM   #139
Major LCF Poster!

Forgot to congratulate you on your loss Verdana, well done!
Old 01-24-2014, 06:16 PM   #140
Junior LCF Member

^^Thank you!

I'm glad you have purging under control. As far as if you should hop on the scale tomorrow I would ask yourself this:

-Do I feel more bloated than I'd like?
-Are my clothes the same or a little tighter than before I started induction?

If the answer is yes to either of those questions then I would get on the scale to check. You might not like what you see, but if damage is being done then it is best to know now and not when you're another week in.

Last edited by Verdana; 01-24-2014 at 06:22 PM..
Old 01-25-2014, 03:53 AM   #141
Major LCF Poster!

No to the first question and not sure to the second. Think I'll jump on the fit board. You're right, it's better to be in the know!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:22 AM   #142
Major LCF Poster!

I'm down 3 pounds. Not great for the first week but I'll take it.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #143
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SuzeQ
Stats: 5'2"/75 years old 169/155/135
WOE: Anything that works!
Start Date: June 6, 2011
It's been years since I did Stillman's and now see that, except for the oat bran, it is really just Dukan in the first stage. Who knew? I will trade the cottage cheese for L/F half and half tho.
SuzeQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #144
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dukan is a ripoff of Stillman's. JMHO.

WTG losers!

MMS, we had never heard of suss until you posted it. Group, if I am wrong then correct me please.

LOL it's always a learning curve with you MMS, I love it!

Last edited by CCGirl; 01-25-2014 at 03:33 PM..
Old 01-26-2014, 07:08 PM   #145
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm down 3 pounds. Not great for the first week but I'll take it.
What?! Holy crap 3 lbs down is excellent! Great job.

Okay, so PMS hit me like a freight train yesterday. I sensed it coming (swollen tatas and spontaneous break outs) and I tried to have a battle plan to overcome cravings but to no avail.

I was totally off the wagon yesterday and today, though today has been a little better. I WILL get right back on the horse tomorrow. Low carb, low fat all the way. I might even try to avoid artificial sweeteners to get all the water weight off faster. Ugh, nothing like almost losing 5 lbs in 4 days just to regain it in a couple hours--yuck.

My motivation is to get to the 130s before I have a physical, which is something my psychologist wants me to do asap.

I'm also going to make myself check in here at least a couple times a day to hold myself accountable. Don't mind me if I babble on at length
Old 01-27-2014, 07:47 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kandi313
Stats: SW 213.3/ CW 197.4 GW 175
WOE: Atkins 72 & Stillmans
Start Date: 11/12/13
Ugh here I am again yo-yo-ing at its finest, however I am putting myself on a 30 day challenge starting today, I have to do this, im so uncomfortable with what i have allowed myself to become and yet the mental aspect that use to be enough to motivate me is truly messing with me and im like over endulging to the fullest, i use to be comfortable at 190 not happ but comfortable it was sort of my resting weight for well over 10 years, now as i have aged i cant even seem to get near it anymore, i weighed myself this morning 212.5, whoa and unfortunatley I continue to revert back to this as tho this is my new resting weight...NOT GONNA HAPPEN ...so today i am on full fledge till 2/26 minimal thats a full 30 days and the way i am thinking now i dont want that date to roll around and look back and say "If i would have just stayed on" cuz i am goin to do this!...thanks for listening

Day-1 of 30~~~212.5
Kandi313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #147
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Something I realized last week....."Everybody has faith in you except YOU. Have some faith."

Life changing.

Go us!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #148
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: losingit4baby
Can I join you guys?

My username says it all. I'm trying to lose 30kg (60lbs?) to get pregnant. All tests say we're fine, so I'm trying to get my weight out of the way.

I'm 105kg (220lbs?) and 5ft9in, and I started at 128kg in 2012. I lost 23kg on Atkins, and have kept them off, even after going back on SAD (very calorie controlled).

This time, Atkins isn't working for me, and I'd love to do Stillman's QWL. I intend to weigh in every week, wish me luck please!
losingit4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 AM   #149
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

welcome aboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kandi313