Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 02:52 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
pawp (pam): just replied to your message. Thanks!

looks like i'm talking to myself sometimes. looking forward to reading posts other than me!!!
i hope everyone is doing well today. there is lots of snow on the ground when we live.
Shreem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2013, 03:32 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

pam: i also want to try to work and get more of my low cal mayo and splenda out of my eating. it's not causing weight loss or gain issues - but i want to make my stillman's plan a little cleaner. if i get rid of those two things, then i would have to up my fat percentages I think. because just plain protein (without the fat) is not going to work long term. so instead of eating egg whites, i would add more egg yolks into the mix? which stillman actually says to do in his book. as many whole eggs as desired. also as much meat listed as desired. i know he says the low cal products are ok - but i don't think equal and splenda were around when he wrote this book, and the powdered versions contain the extra additives that provide about .5 carb for each packet.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Google: Learn About The Dukan Diet Plan For Healthy Weight Loss (100 food list for dukan phase 1).

cici: this list looks very much the same as stillmans quick weight loss plan. But then he moves on to add different foods. it's a very interesting plan and i think provides variety and eventually sponteneity. also he encourage 25 minutes of brisk walk right from the start. this is excellent. i believe in exercise and movement (doesn't have to be hard-core athletics to get results. but consistent movement)

Maybe you should start a Dukan Diet threat on the Low Carb Friends. I dont see a support string for it, but it is definitely a low carb diet that I am sure many people are using. Seems similar to atkins - but without all the fat.??

Last edited by Shreem; 12-15-2013 at 06:23 AM..
Old 12-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pawp11
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 9/30/13
Shreem, thank you for your reply. As far as the Splenda goes, have you considered a liquid sweetener? As I understand it, they have less carbs than the powdered ones. I do tend to eat whole eggs just because I find egg whites tasteless. LOL

I am still loving Stillman's. I think I probably eat more fat than the plan calls for, but it is still working so I am going with it. My husband is still doing well and complains very little about this way of eating. I think this might be the longest he has ever stuck to something. I think a large part of that is every time he bothers to step on the scale it gives him a positive reinforcement that he is doing something right. His pain doctor even commented on his weight loss at his last appointment.

A friend of mine just had the gastric sleeve. I tried to talk her into doing this instead, but she is convinced "surgery is the only way she can keep the weight off for good." I hope she is right. I have just seen so many WLS patients gain all or most of their weight back. I don't want to see that happen to her. The guidelines from her doctor end up being very similar to Stillman's calorie, carb, and fat numbers. The only difference is she will be using a lot of liquid protein instead of solids to begin with.

Speaking of liquids, do any of you use protein shakes? I have started using EAS Advantedge in the morning. I work from home and tend to get up before everyone else and I needed something easy and quiet for breakfast. The protein to carb ratio is fantastic and they taste decent. I was just curious if anyone else uses something similar?

Shreem, did that help you feel less like you were talking to yourself?
Old 12-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #125
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cici52
Ypu are not alone, Shreem. I enjoy your posts, though I can't always reply. Thanks for the link. I fell the same about the plan.
cici52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

yes, Pam and Cici! thanks so much. I don't feel so alone. having a very good day. chicken, turkey breast, eggs whites.

protein is at 74% - 121 grams
fat is at 20%-14 gram
carbs at 6% - 10 grams

(lost a pound from when waking up this morning. !!)
Old 12-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
pawp, that's so sad about your friend, my VIL and former BFF had similar, BFF had gastric bypass and BIL had Lapband, didn't work. The bypass lasted for two years.
CCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mariad
Stats: 162 goal 140 approx
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: March 2007
Hi honies,on my tab in bed,so,if typos are here i apologise,well,i was naughty last night and caved in to a jacket pot with butter and sour cream in the restaurant,bloomin gorgeous it was but felt guilty today,jumped back on this woe and just had a great result whilst peeing,keto stix turned quite mauve,not as dark as yesterday but happy enough with that. I have never tried a shake ,although saying that,i think i had one or two years ago,btbh im not keen,i actually need to change my stats,as im a bit heavier now at 76.5 kilos,but will weigh again in a few days time,the 160lbs was when i lived in n.america ,anyway,hope your all doing great,will check in tomorrow with any news,h7gs for now maria xx
mariad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larcana
Hi, sorry to be absent...Krazee weekend stuff. Anyway, I hit a stall when I added low fat cottage cheese. Oh well...back to meat and eggs.
Larcana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

hi larcana. glad to hear from you. meat and eggs is best for me too. but i do get by with 2 ounces jarlsberg lite cheese about 5 times a week.

my 1 pound loss stuck today. weighed in on the scale this morning. this is a big deal. i have been bouncing down then up. this is two days in a row at this weight. maybe it will stay here now!! lots and lots of chicken breast yesterday. will do that today, too.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:36 AM   #131
Senior LCF Member

I hear ya Shreem, i have to be very strict with eggs and meat to get rolling and then I can add a bit of cheese in. Not this week, though.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:58 AM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL someone broke in last night and ate my chicken stir fry. I hate that when it happens.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:00 AM   #133
Senior LCF Member

I am down to the last bits in my fridge and payday is Wednesday. I have eggs and there is some sort of beef in the freezer. I think I will plan on boiled eggs for the next two days plus cook that beef in broth for a nice warm soup on these chilly days. I think there are a few other things in there as well, but that will be the bulk of it until Wednesday morning. LOL

I am so glad my scale is moving again. I had stalled (or "gained") and hadn't lost anything from 11/26 to 12/11! But since 12/11 I am down 2.4 pounds. DH is still in bed so no clue how wonderful his week was, but I will update my signature later to reflect his actual numbers this week.
pawp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: foxylady
Start Date: 03/26/12
Great posts, ladies! I am finally on the mend with these back problems. I went to the chiropractor on Friday and then for back X-Rays. That was excruciating. Ice, ice, ice on the back most of the weekend. Back to work today. Trying not to have to walk too much or carry anything. I had my DH carry my backpack with my water and lunch in it for me.

I've been doing pretty well so far. I've added 1/2 t. of ground ginger to 4 c. of tea each day. Read this magazine article about it and then looked it up on the internet. I'll see what the results are after a week. Hope it's good news!

Regarding the Cave Man diet. Someone told me about that recently but I haven't had a chance to investigate, so thanks for the link!

Keep up the nose to the grind, ladies. There is nothing sweeter than feeling a difference in our bodies as we take off the pounds and inches!

Toodles!
foxylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

CC, I hope that " break in" was just a figure of speach.

Happily, my weight has held steady since the addition of carbs. Honestly, I have had more than Dukan allows but within Metabolism Miracle phase one which is what I go to for a cheat. I know, sounds craxy, but cheating into another diet seems to keep me from losing all control. I even have a fallback plan for holiday week. Now that I have gotten a few loose days out of my system, I am going to do clean Stillmans for a few days. Xas I write this, I am remebering that someone has a carb cyvling protocol. Whatever works.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL it meant that I ate it in the middle of the night but didn't recall it happening! That Zyrtek really knocks me out.

Keep up the good work losers!!!!!!

Foxy, keep with the chiro, I'll be with mine for life.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #137
Senior LCF Member

CC Girl: can I take a couple of our zyrtek. I could use a good nights sleep! CC: are you doing stillmans now, or have you been off low carb because of your sinus infections you are struggling with? are you still at goal or up a little?

Cici: in the stillmans book, he is very flexible with other diets, too, and actually suggests to some people that they go back and forth between different ways of eating. many of his alternative diets are not low carb/all protein diets.

foxylady: so glad you are feeling better today. hope work went well.

pam: super glad your scale is moving again, too! You did a great job getting through that!

So glad to hear from all my friends tonight! Work was good, and I had a good day of eating. chicken and 2 ounces cheese. low fat mayo with my chicken.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

I have a deadline and am planning an almost all-nighter of work. I am planning to eat every 4-6 hours and not weigh for a few days. LOL My log is going to be very confused though. I hope you all have a good night's rest.
pawp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Afternoon Ladies,well still in a wonderful deep purple and 75.5 kilos,so a bit slower but anything is a loss,breath smells really funky and im sure my head does as well LOL,great posts love reading them all ,old and new,mixing it up a bit with slightly a little fat,ie chicken wings on the BBQ yestrday then tested my beloved stix and deep gain,my tummy seems to have gone down as well,which was a main concern,im going tolook up how to log cals at tc as im not very good on the pc,my hubby doesnt think im eating enough but i feel fine ,so wont fix whats not broke,on my tablet again,so,sorry for the typos,have a great day and carch up later hugs maria xxxx
Old 12-17-2013, 04:55 AM   #140
Senior LCF Member

mariad: way to go! WTG

Here is something i just read from the Stone Age Diet Book (this is not really a book about reducing weight, but more analysis of why man is a carnivore vs Herbivore or Omnivore.

Stone Age Diet:

"Professor Yudkin, of the University of London, and Queen Elizabeth's Hospital find, that unlimited protein and fat with little or no carbohydrate is more effective in causing weight loss than is caloric restriction or starving.

My own conceptof the human diet was shaped in the physiology research laboratory while working with the dog, a carnivorous animal whose digestive tract is remarkably similar to man's. It was proved there that the dog fared best when fed meat and fat with very little if any - carboyhydrate. Years later, as a practicing physician, my dietary advice to humans suffering from functional digestive complaints was the same - protein and fat with little or no carbohydrate. Such an attitude was published in 1939. Continued use of such a diet has not lessened my regard for it and has converted many colleagues and patients to similar views."
Old 12-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Hi Shreem,thas interesting,years ago an old boss of mine,who was an ex boxer,only ever ate protein and drank gin and slimline or vodk and slimline,he was as fit as a fiddle always said keep away from crabs and eat protein ainly as your body will thank you for it,seems he was right even hough we boo bood his way years ago,just had a cheese triangle and will have a tuna can later with boiled eggs an maybe a cheeky gin tonight when i go out for happy hour xxxx
Old 12-17-2013, 05:21 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

Oops meant carbs not crabs,crabs are good hahaha xx
Old 12-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OMG Shreem I will never be off of low carb. It's a way of life, not a diet, that's why we see so many former friends coming back here.

I will never eat grain or legumes again. That's why I've maintained for four years with no effort, which includes drinking like a fish (lots of stress since my Dad passed keeping Mom from going over many cliffs).

I have veggies when I want which isn't often. Show me the meat.

On special occasions I will have sweet potato fries, or if I'm out with friends a bit of bread here and there, but at home it's meat and eggs.

Again, if none of you have read the Naive Vegetarian please do. Paleo for life, grain and beans make you fat and sick.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Cc love your post,sounds just like the way i want to carry on,ive never really been into sweet things but savoury ie quiches i did like,this has been a real pleaseure to join this thread and loving it,i still have a drink as we live in a real party bubble here,and most friends are early retirees who love to go out a lot,but since knocking beer cider and wine with carbs,i feel better all ready,ill still have the occasional wine but wont beat myself about it,xxxx
Old 12-17-2013, 07:05 AM   #145
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

went from wine to vodka, no worries. If you must have wine use pinot grigio it has the lowest sugar.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 AM   #146
Senior LCF Member

Great thank you re the wine,i never knew that,will look for some over christmas cheers x
Old 12-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

Dry whites are the lowest I believe they have 4 carbs per 5 ounces. Sweet wines are sugary.
Vodka, gin and tequila have no carbs but stop your fat burning so be careful.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

yeah the liquor turns to carb eventually I think.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #149
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shawnshx
Hello everyone. I just heard of Stillmans diet and needed a little advice. I have tried atkins NDR a few times in the past with great results. 1st time 47lb drop in 6 months, 2 years to gain back 55. 2nd time 42 lb drop & 1 year to gain it back. My fault gaining back due to just eating nothing but junk food.

I am about to start up again & I would like to use Stillmans for a week or so, to get deep into ketoses then switch to atkins for a few weeks then back again. Has anyone mixed it up between the both?

I do not think i can stay long on just protein, I need my bacon, cream cheese and fat. I do not eat veggis or seafood at all. I can eat protein everyday and love it but do not know about pure protein with no fat.

Can i cycle the diets like this in order not to get tired of 1? I am hoping that as long as i am staying into keytosis, I will still be losing no matter what.

I plan on starting in 1 week after all my amazon stuff comes in (keostix, tea, etc). I have about 60 lbs to drop this time around.
shawnshx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #150
Major LCF Poster!

Hi, Shawn. I think the short answer is yes you can cycle and have success. If you add anything to the protein you will need to eat at a caloric deficit. I thinl that is why many do not succeed at low carb. Too many fat bombs and the body has no need to pull from reserves. Welcome.