Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #181
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
[*]HomeWorker: it's the cymbalta causing some of your weight gain. Anti depressants are know for causing water weight & increasing hunger. All medications (even antibiotics) will cause me to shoot up 7 pounds in a week.

Below is something i found in an article written by: By Judith Wurtman, Health Guide.
Almost everyone who takes antidepressants gains at least 15 pounds. Add mood stabilizers to the mix of medications and weight can shoot up by 75 pounds or more. This is not a new side effect. Patients and their psychiatrists have been dealing with this unpleasant, unwanted and unneeded side effect for a decade or more

Later in the article is talks about antidepressants causing the seratonin in our bodies to become more active - which can help stabilize moods, but it does not cause our bodies to create more seratonin to turn off hunger.

I definitely think stillmans helps your situation, because eating protein will turn off hunger (or at least help you control the appetite more), causing you to eat less, and ultimately a lower calorie way of eating is going to cause weight loss. it may be gradual, but lower calories will bring the weight down. i know it's harder though while taking meds. Hang in there and keep trying! You can conquer this.
Shreem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Y'all, need to wrap your heads around calories. They don't count. It's the type of food you are eating that does.

One hundred calories of protein does not have the same chemical/biological reaction in your bodies that carbs do.

Do Calories Really Count?
CCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #183
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Much of the fat we eat is also used to provide materials used by the body in processes other than the production of energy: the manufacture of bile acids and hormones, the essential fatty acids for the brain and nervous system, and so on. All these must be deducted as well. Thus trying to determine, from food intake and energy expenditure alone, how much excess energy your body will store as fat will give a completely wrong answer. However, these other factors cannot be measured. Therefore, calorie-counting, which is the foundation of practically every modern slimming diet, is a complete waste of time.

And there is one more flaw: We are told by the 'experts' that 'a calorie is a calorie'. What they mean is that it is impossible for two diets containing exactly the same number of calories to lead to different weight losses. Yet, over the last century a spate of dietary studies has shown that, calorie for calorie, low-carbohydrate diets are much better at reducing weight than the traditional low-fat diets. 'Experts' have heavily criticised these studies saying that the data could not be right because that would violate the laws of thermodynamics. But they don't. It is important to realise that there is more than one law of thermodynamics. The narrow view that 'a calorie is a calorie' might comply with the First Law, but it violates the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #184
Senior LCF Member

CC: i have the book "Dr. Stillmans: Quick Weight Loss Diet". Here is his summary of why it works so well. Below is quoted directly from the book: pages 36 - 38.

The diet is made up entirely of protein, chief constituent of animal bodies. The ability of protein to produce more energy is called the specific dynamic action of protein. What is important to you is that this diet, which in essence provides protein only, works more efficiently than other types of diets, from a chemical and metabolic viewpoint, in burning up fat. With this method, the system burns up 275 more calories daily than a diet of the same total caloric intake but including for example, fruits, vegetables, butter, margarine and oil. Most foods that grow have some protein in them and are able to raise the fires of metabolism to some extent. The degree depends on the amount of protein in the foods. Those listed on the Quick Loss Diet have a higher proportion of protein. The resultant burning capacity is excellent so that you eat and burn up your own fat. Some of this fat (your own body fat) is converted into a small amount of carbohydrate or sugar. The remainder of the fat is converted into energy or fuel. The fat is mainly broken down into fatty acids which provide the body with its heat and energy when no carboydrates or sugars are ingested. This process is a step by step reaction; with each reaction some energy and heat are slowy given off. In this process, about 60% of the fat is completely oxidized (united with oxygen) into carbon dioxide and water. A large percentage is left as ashes in the "furnace to be disposed of. Studies have shown that persons on a high protein diet such as this, with no carbohydrate intake, melt the fat out of the storage or fat centers. The fat is brought to the blood where it is transported to the liver. Here it is broken down into bile salts and acids. The unused fat is again poured into the blood as ketone bodies. These are really fatty acids which are brought to the kidneys and carried away in the urine. The body withdraws extra water to dilute these acids. That is why the body not only loses extra fat but also depletes extra intercellular water and is a reason why there is usually more frequent urination with this diet. As a result, the body is lighter, and the heart lungs and blood vessels beat, breathe and flow more easily. Thus most people on the diet feel lighter and better very quickly.

If you should take sugars and carbohydrates, here is why it would cut down radically the effectiveness of the Quick Loss Diet. Each gram of carbohydrate you ingest substitutes for the burning up of 1 to 2 grams of your body fat, equivalent to 9 or 18 calories. If carbohydrates are taken in, the body ignores using its fat and uses carbohydrates only. thus the fat, instead of being burned up, is stored in your fat depots.

The "why" of this functioning is not fully understood scientifically. But on this regiment, you as a dieter get the advantage of this fact and continue to reduce even though you may be eating permitted protein foods totaling 1300 or 2500 calories daily.

You will loose the most weight on the Quick Weight Loss Diet, most quickly, if you eat only to satisfy your hunger pangs rather than to gratify a desire to eat just for the pleasure of eating. Understand that with this diet your body supplies the fat and carbohydrates which are lacking in the diet. You use up stored fat for energy and also convert the protein into starches for energy. So the less you eat, the more you use up excess fat stored in your body. I must make it clear from a professional viewpoint that the Quick Loss Diet is not a "miracle cure" or a scientific functioning of my invention. High-protein diets are not "new"; this is my own version, one which I have found to be most usable and effective.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:56 AM   #185
Senior LCF Member

Here is one more example from Dr. Max Irwin Stillman's book: Chapter 2, page 17:
  1. Your first reaction may well be that of so many of my patients, "But on the diet I'll eat my head off. I'll consume far more calories than I do now." The fact is that on this diet, even eating 6 or more meals a day, you'll find that you limit the intake yourself because you feel full and lack the desire for excess quantities that would increase your weight instead of taking it off. Also you're restricted from the rich foods that tempt you to overeat. And you eat to satisfy your hunger, not to pamper your appetite. A very few over-eat for the first day or two but then taper off quickly. Many of my patients have told me, "I feel I'm eating so much on that diet, how am I losing so much weight?" When I added up their daily intake I found that they had consumed as few as 400-900 calories a day, without any desire for more food. Others, primarily taller persons, were eating up to 2,000 calories a day on the Quick Weight Loss Diet and yet lost pounds rapidly although they hadn't been able to lose on other diets where they seemed to be eating less. the high protein consumption burned up many more calories per day.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #186
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wisteria
Stats: 242/176/120
WOE: stillman's/primal
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
Y'all, need to wrap your heads around calories. They don't count. It's the type of food you are eating that does.

One hundred calories of protein does not have the same chemical/biological reaction in your bodies that carbs do.

Do Calories Really Count?
So True!!!
Wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #187
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wisteria
Stats: 242/176/120
WOE: stillman's/primal
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasMadeThisWay View Post
Does anyone plan on continuing Stillman's in December? I've more or less been M/E to get used to eating lower carbs again, and doing pretty well. But figured I might aim for Stillman's for the month of December. I'm trying to lose a big chunk of my weight, and I know if I did Stillman's strict that I can probably improve my losses.
I will be on Stillmans as well ,till December 19th,congrats on your losses.
Wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
[*]HomeWorker: it's the cymbalta causing some of your weight gain. Anti depressants are know for causing water weight & increasing hunger. All medications (even antibiotics) will cause me to shoot up 7 pounds in a week.

Below is something i found in an article written by: By Judith Wurtman, Health Guide.
Almost everyone who takes antidepressants gains at least 15 pounds. Add mood stabilizers to the mix of medications and weight can shoot up by 75 pounds or more. This is not a new side effect. Patients and their psychiatrists have been dealing with this unpleasant, unwanted and unneeded side effect for a decade or more

Later in the article is talks about antidepressants causing the seratonin in our bodies to become more active - which can help stabilize moods, but it does not cause our bodies to create more seratonin to turn off hunger.

I definitely think stillmans helps your situation, because eating protein will turn off hunger (or at least help you control the appetite more), causing you to eat less, and ultimately a lower calorie way of eating is going to cause weight loss. it may be gradual, but lower calories will bring the weight down. i know it's harder though while taking meds. Hang in there and keep trying! You can conquer this.
You are exactly right, Shreem. It has definitely been the Cymbalta. My doctor is going by the studies that say weight fluctuates 1-2 pounds. Therefore, it couldn't POSSIBLY be the Cymbalta. Cymbalta is given because of its effect on serotonin.

Thank you everyone for all of the helpful information and encouragement.
HomeWorkerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:10 PM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

eek drugs show me the vodka

yah SHreem I have the books stored in my email from two years ago when Sharon scanned them and sent via email to those who wanted.

Honestly the reason the diet never took off is because he wrote like a script for a used car commercial which is why Dukan and others who sounded more scientific got better reviews.

I tried to read it and my eyes pretty much rolled up into my head.

Last edited by CCGirl; 11-30-2013 at 07:13 PM..
Old 11-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #190
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
Speaking of books, how hard is it to track down a decent copy of Dr.Stillman's book? I wish it could be found in digital form. I am a germ freak....I hate the thought of purchasing a used book.
HomeWorkerMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #191
Senior LCF Member

homeworker: my book is used. and it' so fragile that i'm afraid to turn the pages - hence they fall apart.

But I did notice you can purchase through amazon on a kindle! That would work well.

CC: i wonder if you could somehow email the book to the girls here that would like a copy? I think it helps a lot to read the real thing, rather than going by every's tips. Even though they are good, reading the book is very helpful. i compeltely read through the atkins book to help me understand that way of eating. stillmans was not an indepth and I skimmed it, but i'm going to read cover to cover now.

this is a different question on dogs, for those of you that are experienced with dogs. i changed heartworm meds this month. I gave their first dose this past wed. On thursday, one of them woke up with loose stools and gas. still going on last night. Has anyone else ever had this? This is the first time this has happened from heartworm pills, in fact it's never happened, but she is also always sensitive to her rabies or blood samples for heartworm test. maybe her system is extra sensitive to this new brand. it includes a flea prevention with it, too.

Last edited by Shreem; 12-01-2013 at 03:07 AM..
Old 12-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #192
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larcana
Is there a December thread yet?
Larcana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:16 AM   #193
Senior LCF Member

I don't see a December yet. Any fun ideas for what we can call the Christmas/Holiday Thread?
Old 12-01-2013, 05:53 AM   #194
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IWasMadeThisWay
Stats: 203/157/130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
I don't see a December yet. Any fun ideas for what we can call the Christmas/Holiday Thread?
I have no idea!!
IWasMadeThisWay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:27 AM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larcana
How about End the year with a bang?
Larcana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #196
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: emerc23
Stillmans:D

Hello im new to this whole thread thing
Started Stillman today wish me luck
hope everyone is doing good any tips would be appreciated
emerc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:35 AM   #197
Senior LCF Member

That's great! I just started it - hope that's ok. (see below)

Thanks for the great name !

Last edited by Shreem; 12-01-2013 at 09:43 AM..
Old 12-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #198
Senior LCF Member

END THE YEAR WITH A BANG: go here for the December Group Postings

END THE YEAR WITH A BANG!