Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #151
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kiley2801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
one more good find!:
Researchers now know that weight loss associated with coconut oil is related to the length of the fatty acid chains contained in coconut oil. Coconut oil contains what are called medium chain fatty acids, or medium chain triglycerides (MCTs for short). These medium chain fatty acids are different from the common longer chain fatty acids found in other plant-based oils. Most vegetable oils are composed of longer chain fatty acids, or triglycerides (LCTs). LCTs are typically stored in the body as fat, while MCTs are burned for energy. MCTs burn up quickly in the body.

Coconut oil is nature’s richest source of MCTs that increase metabolic rates and lead to weight loss. MCTs promote what is called thermogenesis. Thermogenesis increases the body’s metabolism, producing energy. Researchers in Japan have found that when you consume a food rich in MCTs such as coconut oil, the MCTs are absorbed and transported directly into the liver via the portal vein. They are metabolized rapidly by beta-oxidation, and they increase diet-induced thermogenesis.8 People in the animal feed business have known this truth for quite some time. If you feed animals vegetable oils, they put on weight and produce more fatty meat. If you feed them coconut oil, they will be very lean.
Since it's the MCTs that make coconut oil healthy, I just use straight MCT oil.
Kiley2801 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #152
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Wisteria
Stats: 242/176/120
WOE: stillman's/primal
Start Date: March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawp11 View Post
My stall has apparently finally broke! I didn't want my misery to spread so I disappeared for a bit. But hopefully this is for real and I am BACK!
Stalls really are frustrating,glad to hear it's over. yeah to more weight loss!
Wisteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #153
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sam_Marie
Stats: 159/155/105. 5'0 tall
WOE: Stillman
Not seeing results

Hi everyone! I am hoping someone can help me. I have been on Stillmans for a couple of days, and I haven't lost any weight. My breakfast is eggs cooked on a skillet with Pam spray. Lunch is chicken cooked in a skillet with Pam spray, and dinner is tuna. I also have diet coke and sugar free jello. I don't exercise but I think I'll start. Can I make in any improvements? I'm getting discouraged.
Sam_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
so today the calorie level so far is: 664
protein: 64.5
fat: 40.9
carbs: 8.9

i eat whole eggs, egg wites, low fat mayo, cheese, little tuna salad.
i'm hoping to quit there tonight.

Sam: i don't know if you have been on a low carb way of eating before you started stillmans, but somes it can take a couple days to get the carbs out of your body. just keep eating stillman. (also i don't eat sf jello-most of that stuff will wreck it for me. especially SF gum, which does have carbs).

also: are you staying low calorie? you have to keep the calories low on stillmans, but if you pick from the list and stay with it-you won't get hungry.
Shreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skittles1982
Stats: 5ft 2in- 135/125/115
WOE: Atkins, Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 7 August 2013
[QUOTE=Sam_Marie;16693347]Hi everyone! I am hoping someone can help me. I have been on Stillmans for a couple of days, and I haven't lost any weight. My breakfast is eggs cooked on a skillet with Pam spray. Lunch is chicken cooked in a skillet with Pam spray, and dinner is tuna. I also have diet coke and sugar free jello. I don't exercise but I think I'll start. Can I make in any improvements? I'm getting discouraged.[/QUOTE

Have you been drinking enough water? You have only been on for a couple of days, so don't get discouraged. It WILL come! I PROMISE! Also are you sure that you haven't been snacking on a little bit of illegal food? Sometimes we don't realize that we are eating things that are making us stall. I guess just keep at it and make sure you aren't eating ANYTHING illegal. I've also heard Diet sodas can make ppl stall becasue of the sweeteners. Something about the sweeteners making it difficult for the body to eliminate fat. Let us know how you are doing tomorrow! You can do this!
skittles1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skittles1982
Stats: 5ft 2in- 135/125/115
WOE: Atkins, Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 7 August 2013
Quote:
so today the calorie level so far is: 664
protein: 64.5
fat: 40.9
carbs: 8.9

i eat whole eggs, egg wites, low fat mayo, cheese, little tuna salad.
i'm hoping to quit there tonight.

Sam: i don't know if you have been on a low carb way of eating before you started stillmans, but somes it can take a couple days to get the carbs out of your body. just keep eating stillman. (also i don't eat sf jello-most of that stuff will wreck it for me. especially SF gum, which does have carbs).

also: are you staying low calorie? you have to keep the calories low on stillmans, but if you pick from the list and stay with it-you won't get hungry.
GOOD POST! Yeas, another thing is that your body is burning off the glycogen in your body when you go low carb, Sam. So if you haven't been doing LC, it;s going to take between three to 5 days to enter ketosis, and then your body will be torching your body fat instead of glycogen stores from eating carbs. Hope we helped
skittles1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

today i'm doing (hopefully) an all egg day (with yolks). So my fat percentages will be higher than the last couple days. going as close to zero carb as possible today, & medium protein amounts-instead of higher protein. I feel great so far. definitely trying to make it a keto day.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #158
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pawp11
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 9/30/13
Shreem, I think I will join you. I had two HB eggs for breakfast, so why not?

TOM is here and I had a tough time yesterday ignoring the cravings, but I did it.
pawp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #159
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Quote:
so dairy is making your sick? CC: do you have a sinus infection, or what is still keeping you down? Are you sticking stillmans or something else right now?

nevart: today is day two for you? how do you feel?
People keep telling me to lose tha dairy in case it's a food allergy. I doubt it.

I've been sick since August. I seem to get better then I can feel it starting all over again, the pressure behind the eyes, the congestion.

Allergy meds don't touch it but cold meds keep it at bay.

I broke down a month ago and went to a doc. She said allergic rhinitis/sinus infection. After two weeks of prednisone and cipro it came back. Another two weeks on Augmentin (I threw out the prednisone) and it's back again.

The clear mucus suggests viral, yellow and green is bacterial.

I'm pretty much stills when I'm hungry. Today I had two cups of chicken soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawp11 View Post
My stall has apparently finally broke! I didn't want my misery to spread so I disappeared for a bit. But hopefully this is for real and I am BACK!
WTG pawp!!!!!!
CCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday's food and percentages/grams of Protein, Carbs, Fat:
13 whole eggs
4.5 Tablespoons Hellamns light mayo
2 splenda packet
.5 Tablespoon Hellmans full fat mayo
3 egg whites
14 Almonds

Calories: 1076
Fat: 78.3
Carbs: 11.1
Protein: 74

Fat: 66 %
Protein: 30%
Carbs: 4%

I had no diet coke-which was a challenge and most of my coffee was black during the day, except in the morning with the 2 packets of splenda. Not having so much splenda or diet coke made a huge difference.

the whole eggs worked great. Will try again today with whole eggs mainly, but i'm not including the mayo today. Will add some coconut oil instead. I found a mayo spread two weeks ago at the health food store that I'm going to go buy today. it was 1 carb and 1 gram fat-having just a little creaminess with the boiled eggs makes it enjoyable.

I'm sure it's the splenda/artificial sweetners that trip me up when stillmans is not working. And, i'm also suspecting that when I go completely fat free-it doesn't work for me either, because then I start craving more and more low fat protein, which i will over eat and then not feel good. By including the egg yolks yesterday, i was not craving so much protein.

i read in a separate document last night, that doing deep ketosis is the healing stage of the diet for cancer patients. But she asked them to use the ketosis sticks, and it didn't count from the beginning of the diet. It took about a week for the body to get into the deep purple ketosis and stay there for at least 6 days. In the deep ketosis, the tumor growth was stopped. Sometimes reversed for a few. After healing, the person still has to continue to eat low carb, but the deep ketosis is not required. They also have to do high fat, low protein and low carbs to create the ketogenic state that heals at the cellular level. Also: staying lower calorie is important to this as well. So overeating is not helpful.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

cc, i think trying to leave dairy off for a while may help. but not because you have an allergy. i was having inflammation in my body for the last couple months and not knowing why. i was eating lots of yogurt, both greek and regular. i love the stuff and i was not gaining weight, but my feet kept swelling by the end of my work day-which was not normal for me i was also getting very stiff, and my hand writing was off. i finally was able to wean myself off of it for several weeks. everything improved! finally after about a month and a half, i noticed this weekend that my ring was loose again on my hand, my feet looked normal-not puffy. and this was not about weight loss. you might try cutting dairy for a while to see if you have any improvement.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:50 AM   #162
Senior LCF Member

so today, i'm going to try high protein, low fat, low calories. i felt great this morning. stomach was flat. i didn't weigh at the gym, because someone was watching. i don't like people watching me weigh--they think i'm obsessed with the scale if they see me get on everyday, but i think it's more jealousy on their part.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

We are going out for lunch today so it will be an Atkins kind of day here.

My weight seriously fluctuates all week so I have made the decision to start taking my lowest weight of the week as my official weight. :P

I hope everyone has a good day!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Larcana
Hi all,
I've been reading the thread and have started Stillman's diet..doing well with it as I have been VLC for a while. I wanted to see if it would break my stall. So, far one day later so good. It's been a while since I was on the LCFs board.
Larcana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:30 PM   #165
Senior LCF Member

pawp: sounds like a plan. weight fluctuates at least five pounds for me through the month. can be frustrating. did you try the eggs. it worked out good for me. then today i went very low fat and low calorie. chicken breast and egg whites. couple pieces of low fat cheese and a little bit of tuna.

Larcana: so happy to have you here! i think it's a very good forum, and this particular group is so understanding and very open minded.

i have to say i appreciate all of you here so much! i dont' think i've every been on a chat group for eating, where people have experienced and agree with the stillman's way of eating like you guys do! always so encouraging and never a discouraging thing is ever said to any one here. this is the only safe place that i have ever posted what i eat, and how low i go in the calories without being scolded. thank you so much for that!!! this group keeps me grounded and on track.

Last edited by Shreem; 11-25-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Old 11-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

you know that i have been reading a lot about the ketogenic diet for cancer patients. one of the things all the books seem to mention is that to get these patients into ketosis initially, the doctors have them fast. the fasting mimics starvation and puts the body into ketosis, burning their bodies own fat for fuel, rather than carbohydrates. then after it's in ketosis, they add the foods that keep them in ketosis and also incorporate a low calorie diet at the same time. i found it interesting that induction was no food, and then it was followed up by yet a low calorie diet-on top of the low carb diet.

they also mentioned the starvation level of calories is 400 calories. Dr. Stillman favored low calorie eating. it's what i have to do to lose weight and also to keep it off. every now and then during the month and when my body is burning fat really well - i can eat a lot and continue to lose weight, but that is not the norm. i think that might be more hormone related. and an exception to my norm.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Well, I noticed I was gaining weight and inches and thought why not do the Stillman's diet it does work! So far start was 150.8, this morning 145.2. On the right track. And it makes my meal plans easy.
I do plan to have some cranberry relish with my turkey on Thanksgiving but I also plan to go right back on the diet on Friday. I may use Stevia instead of sugar in the relish. I may also have a small seeing of sweet potato. Anyway, it's nice to be able to see what others are doing and not be chastised for low cal/low fat.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Larcana! So awesome on your weight loss. Great job! Stillmans must really agree with you. Glad you are here! I know I feel so much better low calories and the days i stay low fat it is very easy to keep the calories low without being hungry.

Yes, it's awesome not to have people telling you to eat more.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:23 AM   #169
Senior LCF Member

moved another tough pound down today! so happy. these two pounds have been stubborn, but once I get pass them - things get easier. this point is a little natural set point for my body. If I go above this weight, it seems my body starts storing fat & I have to do everything I can to turn it around, if I hover just a little below this weight I'm at - then the weight management starts to become much easier. It's like the fat burning cells kick in and I get into weight loss mode. that seems like the set point theory that I have read in the past - but not sure. all I know, is that when I stay a little below my goal weight that I'm at now, the weight is not such an issue. probably lots of unseen things I don't know about that contribute to this observation.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Great to be here...144.2 today, I think this may be the end of my bloat and I might slow down a bit. I always start off with a bang and then dwindle..but I'm not quitting on myself.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IWasMadeThisWay
Stats: 203/165.4/130
WOE: M/E
Does anyone plan on continuing Stillman's in December? I've more or less been M/E to get used to eating lower carbs again, and doing pretty well. But figured I might aim for Stillman's for the month of December. I'm trying to lose a big chunk of my weight, and I know if I did Stillman's strict that I can probably improve my losses.
IWasMadeThisWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #172
Senior LCF Member

oh yes, made this way. i will be doing stillmans in december and probably forever to stay at my goal weight. very happy to be here. i lost a little more throughout the day. i think it took me around 4 months for these 4 stubborn pounds to come off - but everything is moving now again. i was at a bit of a plateau.

you see that my new dog photo is smiling and i am too! also: my work is going so well for me now, too. had a bit of a rough go for the last year or so, but everything is starting to flow for me now and the work is going in my favor.

Last edited by Shreem; 11-27-2013 at 05:00 PM..
Old 11-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 183.0/176.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: May 27, 2014 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasMadeThisWay View Post
Does anyone plan on continuing Stillman's in December? I've more or less been M/E to get used to eating lower carbs again, and doing pretty well. But figured I might aim for Stillman's for the month of December. I'm trying to lose a big chunk of my weight, and I know if I did Stillman's strict that I can probably improve my losses.
Yes, I'm restarting tomorrow morning. My goal is to push through until at least the 21st when family arrives from out of town. I'd love to give others support as I know I'll need a bit of support myself!

At least turkey breast is stills friendly... there's a ton in the fridge!

I'll reweigh in the morning although I know I won't like what I see. I need a restart reference point though.

Hopefully we can get a good group together for December although I think many will just hold out on weight loss until after the holidays as January is resolution time.

Currently detoxing due to numerous food sensitivities.

Gluten, yeast, & soy free!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Yes, I'm back at it today...I got a 3 pound water bloat from Turkey day...onward.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #175
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IWasMadeThisWay
Stats: 203/165.4/130
WOE: M/E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymousity View Post
Yes, I'm restarting tomorrow morning. My goal is to push through until at least the 21st when family arrives from out of town. I'd love to give others support as I know I'll need a bit of support myself!

At least turkey breast is stills friendly... there's a ton in the fridge!

I'll reweigh in the morning although I know I won't like what I see. I need a restart reference point though.

Hopefully we can get a good group together for December although I think many will just hold out on weight loss until after the holidays as January is resolution time.
Awesome! I actually need to go shopping myself. I'm going to finish up what I have between now and Saturday, and go out and buy some chicken. I typically buy the canned chicken, though higher in sodium and a small bit of fat in them. I haven't figured out a way that I like to cook chicken.
IWasMadeThisWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:28 AM   #176
Senior LCF Member

I am here through December as well.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

yea! We have an awesome group going into Dec.. I'm still about 1 solid pound away from where I really want to be. that last pound goes up and down. I will not be giving in to holiday cooking/treats/or outrageous holiday parties. Staying with stillmans. I learned a lesson from yesterday!!

I have been so strict with stillmans and staying very low calorie. Seeing lots of progress in the area of better energy levels. Yesterday I stuck to low calories, and last night for turkey dinner I really stuck with the basics. I had dry turkey breast, some carrots and a 1/2 plate of green beans. (but the green beans had something else in them and because of the way i felt this morning, I'm sure it had to have gluten in the form of stuffing or something. I was so sick when I woke up. So I learned my lesson to not partake in anything with gluten on dinners away from home this season. i have not been tested for gluten intolerance, but as a result of staying very low carb and strict stillmans - if I do stray a little with foods that bother me it really shows up right away and because my eating is clean, it is easy to pin point the exact food that caused the bloating, stomach ache and bathroom issues in the morning.

I'm starting to feel better now, but that one green bean casserole really through my body out of whack. so strange. I'm very very thankful to have found stillmans and to have each of you here to be on the this same stillman's journey.

Here's to a month of good weigh loss and feeling more and more healthy!!
Old 11-29-2013, 12:49 PM   #178
Senior LCF Member

today was chicken breast, small amount of baked salmon, eggs and a mozzerella cheese stick.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #179
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Thanks, Shreem, I'm trying.

I hope a great Thanksgiving was had by all!!!!!!
CCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #180
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HomeWorkerMT
Stats: 181/179.4/140. (55 yo)
WOE: WOE - My own way.
Start Date: Sept. 28, 2012
I will be joining you for December. I have been on medication to control migraines and I have gained 17 pounds since March. And that is on top of the 20 I already needed to lose.. Of course my neurologist said no way it is the Cymbalta, in spite of the fact I had gained 2 pounds in the first 7 days.

I definitely need support from all of you who have been successful in weight loss. I get into meat overload easily. I am going to shoot for staying on Stillmans until the 21st, my birthday!
HomeWorkerMT is offline   Reply With Quote