Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MichelleHu
Stats: 260/191.6/135
WOE: LC/Wheat Gluten Free
Start Date: 5/29/13
Hi guys havent popped in for a few days. Finally got the scale moving was stuck for over 2 weeks and pawp I did go to the inches off. All fruit and veg all day, then when I got super hungry towards dinner I did low fat protein with veg. and it finally moved. I am going to keep with it for a bit. That 1 lb was the most stubborn ever and it was a milestone lb. Not like it was lb 14 or something it was the 50 lb and I wanted it so bad. I will post pics later after I shower cause I took a starting pic, dont laugh at the slouchin' around the house clothes tho'.
MichelleHu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #92
Senior LCF Member

first pic 260 on 5/29, second pic today 11/13 at 210- 50 lbs lost. last pic in real clothes today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (23.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg house1 009.jpg (23.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg house1 011.jpg (21.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 11-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #93
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BrattyS
Stats: 233/224/155 5'7"
WOE: Stillman QWL
Start Date: May 1 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleHu View Post
first pic 260 on 5/29, second pic today 11/13 at 210- 50 lbs lost. last pic in real clothes today.
Wow! Such a difference. Congratulations on 50! I like your slouchy home clothes. My style!
BrattyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:25 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pawp11
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 9/30/13
Quote:
Wow, really major difference! Congrats on the milestone!
pawp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 183.0/176.0/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb/Low Fat Stills
Start Date: May 27, 2014 (restart)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawp11 View Post
Interesting, Shreem. Good morning, CC, skittles, Bratty, gintexas and anyone else who pops in. Where did Michelle disappear to? Did she try to do something different or go on vacation or something?

So what does Still's mention in the book for stalls? Today makes 10 days that I have either gained weight or not lost anything. I remember reading something about shaking it up, but I can't remember. Has anyone switched to his Inches Off thing and had success? I am frustrated. I am doing everything right and seeing no results. Tomorrow is shopping day so if I am going to do anything different, I need to decide today before I go to the store tomorrow. I will look up his info on stalls sometime today. For now, I best get to work.
Can you post what you are eating?
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymousity View Post
Can you post what you are eating?
My days consist mostly of eggs, chicken, and tilapia/flounder/pollock. I also have found a "clean" deli meat that I use fairly regularly - low sodium and only 1 carb per serving. I do have a skim mozzarella cheese stick once or twice a day. I have a sugar free jello daily as well. We eat red meat - either burger or a steak - once a week. I drink 80 ounces of water or a bit more daily plus a diet Sunkist as a treat in the evening.

I am going to cut the cheese stick out. I am careful with my seasoning. My sodium is always well below 1250. Carbs normally run in the 3-6 range with a rare spike to 15. Fat is normally in the 25-40 range with an occasional spike to as much as 70 based on my red meat choice. Protein is always 50-100ish.

Thoughts and advice are welcome!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
congratulations on that 50! you look awesome.

Shreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

oh yes, on the meds. Water retention city. it will go down quickly after you get off them.

Stalls: sounds like michelle had a great idea. i've done the inches off and it really worked well. just not long term, becaues i love my protein!
Old 11-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: g_intexas
Stats: 205.2/195/160
Start Date: Nov. 6, 2013
Quote:
Interesting, Shreem. Good morning, CC, skittles, Bratty, gintexas and anyone else who pops in. Where did Michelle disappear to? Did she try to do something different or go on vacation or something?

So what does Still's mention in the book for stalls? Today makes 10 days that I have either gained weight or not lost anything. I remember reading something about shaking it up, but I can't remember. Has anyone switched to his Inches Off thing and had success? I am frustrated. I am doing everything right and seeing no results. Tomorrow is shopping day so if I am going to do anything different, I need to decide today before I go to the store tomorrow. I will look up his info on stalls sometime today. For now, I best get to work.
Ten days and no loss, I'd be frustrated too! I looked back in this thread, but couldn't find it, how long you've been doing Stillan's?

I'll look in my book to see what it says about stalls and let you know if I find anything useful. Did you see the earlier comments about coconut oil? Sometimes a little natural fat will get your body to release. Seems like it "lubes" things up or something, lol. But I had luck with that when I was on HCG, a few days of no losses and one TBS of coconut oil in my coffee would usually do the trick.

Last edited by g_intexas; 11-13-2013 at 05:48 PM..
g_intexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #100
Senior LCF Member

g_intexas, I am doing the coconut oil. I skipped it yesterday to get the super low fat day, but I added it back today and will probably continue it as it makes the best scrambled eggs. I also gave in and am being a bit more proactive about the potty issues. I just finished week 6, I think.

I looked over the inches plan. I just don't think I can do that. I am hoping cutting the cheese and the potty meds help. I really need to be down in the morning. My brain is starting to say things like "A high carb treat will shake things up. You can just get right back on!" I know that can be a slippery slope for me so I'd rather not!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #101
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: skittles1982
Stats: 5ft 2in- 135/125/115
WOE: Atkins, Stillman's
Start Date: Restart 7 August 2013
Quote:
WOW that's amazing! Great job!!!!
skittles1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #102
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My days consist mostly of eggs, chicken, and tilapia/flounder/pollock. I also have found a "clean" deli meat that I use fairly regularly - low sodium and only 1 carb per serving. I do have a skim mozzarella cheese stick once or twice a day. I have a sugar free jello daily as well. We eat red meat - either burger or a steak - once a week. I drink 80 ounces of water or a bit more daily plus a diet Sunkist as a treat in the evening.

I am going to cut the cheese stick out. I am careful with my seasoning. My sodium is always well below 1250. Carbs normally run in the 3-6 range with a rare spike to 15. Fat is normally in the 25-40 range with an occasional spike to as much as 70 based on my red meat choice. Protein is always 50-100ish.

Thoughts and advice are welcome!
You look like you're eating clean! It may just be that your body is sensitive to AS or dairy?

I know that some of us find those few foods which tend to drop the pounds quick and stick to eating just those. My diet is pretty monotonous. I'm eating eggs, ground turkey, and laughing cow cheese, all scrambled together, as well as turkey bacon in the evening as I need a little more fat so my medication absorbs properly. It seems to be working for me!
Old 11-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #103
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: g_intexas
Stats: 205.2/195/160
Start Date: Nov. 6, 2013
Quote:
g_intexas, I am doing the coconut oil. I skipped it yesterday to get the super low fat day, but I added it back today and will probably continue it as it makes the best scrambled eggs. I also gave in and am being a bit more proactive about the potty issues. I just finished week 6, I think.

I looked over the inches plan. I just don't think I can do that. I am hoping cutting the cheese and the potty meds help. I really need to be down in the morning. My brain is starting to say things like "A high carb treat will shake things up. You can just get right back on!" I know that can be a slippery slope for me so I'd rather not!
Exactly, if I know if I have one treat it leads to more and more. Last night I made chili and cornbread for the family and was sooo tempted to have "one little square" of cornbread. It looked and smelled so dang good! But I resisted cause I know I would be hating myself afterward and then I'd be like "oh well, may as we'll keep going, where's the Oreos?"

I looked in Stillman's book and for the life of me, I could not find any info on stalls, sorry. I hope the coconut oil works for you. Let us know.
g_intexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Well, I gave in and took a laxative yesterday. I am down a pound this morning. I imagine that will pop back up a bit as soon as my body realizes I **** everything out last night! LOL I hadn't realized how miserably backed up I was until I wasn't anymore. I am going to add an extra magnesium to my normal routine and pay closer attention to when I go so this doesn't happen again. I also am not buying anymore cheese period.

I have to go do some shopping this morning and then I am seriously behind on work. Being a stay-at-home IC means I only have myself to blame for that! So today and tomorrow are going to be serious work days. I will check in later!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Good morning Exactly the same this morn. Yesterday ran around all day so didnt get the water in and didnt get my vitamins in either. eating was fine. Hopefully tomorrow will show a loss since I can hang out by the bathroom all day today!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bebe
Start Date: 6 November 2013
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I started november 6 and have lost 4 lbs so far.I cheated one day with peanut butter which took me back 2 days.My menu is HB eggs,chicken and no fat bocconcini cheese. Somedays I have very small bowl of salad with no dressing. I need to lose 25 lbs. I have pcos and insulin Resistance,have tried many diets but no success.
Keep up the good work every one!
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #107
Senior LCF Member

hi bebe, glad to have you here! pcos and insulin resistance combined must be challenging.

pawp: so happy to here you are feeling unstopped. that helps so much. i've been reading a lot about how our guts and our brains are connected. healthy gut, healthy mind sounds strange but there are theories of emotional health issues that are cleared up with the digestive track becomes healthy.

coconut oil is great for everything!! i keep in my cupboard always. I feed it to my dogs. they will even lick the spoon for it. just read articles yesterday about it helping with flea control.

Michelle: sometimes no loss, but maintain (instead of moving upward) is just as good. keep trying.

CC: are you feeling any better?
Old 11-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #108
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ninja Barbie
Stats: 152.8/152.8/120
WOE: Stillman's QWL
Start Date: July 20 '14
Hey everyone!

I was hoping I might be able to jump in with you all? I started QWL back on the 6th and had good losses each day..until I took a nosedive off the wagon 2 days ago, eating a ton of everything! I "gained" back almost 4 lbs. of what I'd lost (although we know most is water, right?).
I started back again yesterday, eating only chicken and eggs. I know, sounds pretty tempting, right? But...one question..I started spritzing my food with Bragg's Liquid Aminos for flavor. I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with this, but it's found at all health food stores and some regular grocery stores, too. It's a substitute for soy sauce and is pretty high in sodium, but comes in a spray to help lessen the amount used. The total sodium is "162 mg per 1/2 tsp". Yeah, pretty high even when using a spray to fill a 1/2 tsp. I was just wondering if anyone here uses anything on their food that's also high in sodium, like certain hot sauces, and notices any type of gain/stall because of water retention?

I'm also wondering how long it takes on average to start losing again after a cheat day? I know each of us is different, etc., but just looking for examples. After eating "clean" yesterday along with enough water I'm at exactly the same weight as yesterday (the day after binging). Not sure if I can help this go any quicker or not so any advice would really help!

I also started exercising yesterday, too. Not a whole lot, but a half hour on the treadmill (walking for most, then running intervals). Also lifted a few weights, but nothing crazy.
Does anyone else exercise or lift weights? Or are we not supposed to during QWL?

Another thing, everyone always talks about having barely any hunger from being in ketosis, but I've never noticed this. I feel I've got the same amount of hunger and I do eat a lot of the allowed food (only when hungry, though). I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong? Again, any help is much appreciated!

Thanks so much and I hope everybody is having an amazing day with tons of great losses!!!

Oh! My starting was 149.6 on November 6th. The morning of the 12th (the day I went food crazy) I was down to 142.4...so a great 7.2 loss in a week! But jumped up to 146.2 the next day and still there this morning..BOOOO!!

My goal is to get to 120 by December 20th (my bf flies in from Norway) and I'm praying I can get there by then. Cross your fingers!!
Ninja Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: foxylady
Start Date: 03/26/12
Thinking of starting a short run with Stillman's for the 10 days prior to Thanksgiving. 10 days... 10 pounds. I should feel pretty good by Thanksgiving Day and shrunk my stomach enough so I don't overeat that day. It's good to have a plan in mind and then work the plan.

Foxy
foxylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IWasMadeThisWay
Stats: 203/165.4/130
WOE: M/E
I decided to peak my head in here.. does anyone track calories and fat? I'm curious what kind of ratios you are looking at? I've plugged in my stats online for tomorrow, and looks like I'd be around 1125 calories, 65 grams of fat, and 140 grams of protein. I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting too much, or too little of something. Thanks!
IWasMadeThisWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #111
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasMadeThisWay View Post
I decided to peak my head in here.. does anyone track calories and fat? I'm curious what kind of ratios you are looking at? I've plugged in my stats online for tomorrow, and looks like I'd be around 1125 calories, 65 grams of fat, and 140 grams of protein. I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting too much, or too little of something. Thanks!
I do. Keeping in mind that I don't exercise, my numbers will be much lower than yours! My calories range from 500-1200. Carbs are super low at about 5 or less. Fat is all over the place from 35 to 80 depending on my choices that day. Protein is 59-120. I suck at math, but I think your numbers look about right!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #112
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bebe
Start Date: 6 November 2013
Hi every one! I will cut the Bocconcini cheese today, They put me in stall!!!
Just egg and chicken to go!
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
welcome newbies! Effing fantastic job Michelle!!!!!!!!!!

Still sick. Five months and five hundred dollars later. Jesus take the wheel, I'm done. Light candles, pray to deity of choice for me y'all.

stuffed pappers with ground turkey. Everything tastes like crap. Forcing myself to eat. Drinking, that's another story

Last edited by CCGirl; 11-15-2013 at 05:54 PM..
CCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #114
Senior LCF Member

this morning i had dropped about 3/4 of a pound. so happy! i've been doing very low calories for quite a few days, and today the scale slightly budged. but i think i might have gotten a little too happy, and may have eaten a bit too much as I added some yogurt in today. i did 1/2 cup yesterday, but two cups today. i will see in the morning if i ruined it or not. i also think that going very low fat is important.

cc: so glad you posted. so sorry you are feeling so crummy still. garlic and coconut oil are both good for strengthening the immune system. i chop garlic in small pieces and swallow like a pill. really helps me a lot! no cooking, keeps it potent and more active. if you swallow in stead of chew, then your breathe doesn't smell.

i do track my foods. i shared that in an earlier post, but i got a message today from the manager of the site that told me i'm not suppose to list the one i mentioned. i really did not know that this was a rule. it must be some kind of new rule for a reason, so i won't mentioend. but i do know exactly how many calories, fat, carbs and protein i eat each day.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

5 Foods to Avoid on the Stillman Diet

1. Fat

Avoid fatty meats, fried foods, poultry with skin on, whole-fat dairy products, butter, margarine, oil, grease, condiments such as mayonnaise, salad dressings, tartar sauce and gravy. They are all fat laden.
2. Sugar

This includes any type of natural or refined sugar or any food containing sugar. White sugar, brown sugar, raw or natural sugar, molasses, honey, lactose, corn syrup and cane syrup are all forms of sugar. Of course, candy and sweet desserts, fruits and fruit juices, and sugar- or corn syrup-sweetened drinks are definitely out of the question. Beware of sugar hiding in condiments like French dressing, cocktail sauce and honey mustard.
3. Starches

Any grain type of foods: bread, cereal, corn, crackers, pasta, whole wheat, barley, etc., will cause the Stillman Diet to fail. Also included in the starch group are dried legumes and potatoes.
4. Vegetables

Besides the veggies mentioned above, no vegetables of any type, not even lettuce or celery, are permitted on the Stillman Diet.
5. Alcohol

Alcohol consists mostly of carbohydrates, which are not permitted. In addition, alcohol affects your judgment in food choices, thus causing you to sabotage your own dieting efforts.
Good to Know

Expect to lose 7 to 15 lbs in the first week, then 5 lbs each week thereafter on this short-term diet. Lacking in vital nutrients, a daily multivitamin is suggested. The Stillman Diet is ketogenic, and consequently hard on the liver; therefore it is imperative to drink at least 10 cups of water in addition to other beverages to flush the ketones from your system and help prevent constipation. Dr. Stillman suggests you eat six small meals per day rather than three big ones, exercise regularly, and get adequate sleep for best results.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Ninja Barbie,
I use sea salt in just about everything and eat turkey bacon. I don't have water retention issues. I also don't exercise as it stalls my weight loss. I am going to start exercising closer to goal to tone up.

IWasMadeThisWay,
I don't track anything but total calories. I just eat from the list and that's it.
Old 11-16-2013, 03:06 AM   #117
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: IWasMadeThisWay
Stats: 203/165.4/130
WOE: M/E
Thanks everyone! I did make some little adjustments to try out this week. I'm keeping 2tbsp of heavy whipping cream in my coffee for now. I sweeten with pure stevia, and no other kinds of sweeteners. I am considering adding a tbsp more of fat, perhaps in the form of coconut oil. I already have flax seed oil added to my day. I've noticed from past experience that no matter what way of eating I follow, that I lose more weight with that when I take a tbsp a day. Plus, it helps keep things moving!

I feel really bummed today. I ate like crap for two days, which I am on plan so far this morning. But, I actually turned down an invite to see an old army friend. I haven't seen him since Dec 2010/Jan 2011. I turned him down because I didn't want him to see how fat I've gotten! I haven't seen any of my army friends because of it, even the ones closer to home. I feel kind of ashamed that I've let myself go like this, and don't even want to see friends because of it. If anything, it did give me a must needed boost to get off my lazy butt and get back on plan! I don't want another month of losing only two pounds because I was on and off. It's been like that since my break up last month. :/

So after I eat my bowl of chicken with nusalt, cayenne, and 1/2 serving of butter... I'll be off to the gym! I don't want to be fat and uncomfortable anymore.

Last edited by IWasMadeThisWay; 11-16-2013 at 03:08 AM..
IWasMadeThisWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #118
Senior LCF Member

coconut oil is awesome. I put 1/2 Tablespoon in my coffee this morning. makes my skin look glowing. thanks for that: IWasMadeThisWay

Anonymousity: exercise stalls me, too, but i don't get the body i like or the good feelings without exercising, so i choose to exercise and work a little harder at the food piece. if i do a slower steady swim and walking-that seems to work really well. Also: the very best is yoga! that causes weight loss, balances hormones and does not increase my weight. great for the heart and soul, too!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:53 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

doing lots of laundry today. that is very good exercise. two little dogs makes for lots of cleaning.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

since we are talking about coconut and it's amazing benefits, I just found the below on a site about coconut oil and health. I think it's ok to post this:

"One interesting way to study the role of fats and their affect on weight loss or weight gain is to study the animal feed industry. If ever there was a group of people with economic interest in weight gain, it is the livestock industry.

Back in the days when fat was “in,” the fatter the pig you could raise the better. Lard was a basic staple for cooking in the days of our forefathers. It was found that feeding pigs polyunsaturated fats (primarily soybean and corn oil) would put more fat on them. This is the reaction of the longer chain fatty acids found in vegetable oils, and is well documented in the scientific literature.

Today however, we’ve come full circle with our new low-fat mantra, and the consumer demand is now for low-fat meats. So how does one produce a leaner pork? Well according the Department of Animal Science of North Carolina State University, during the “finishing time” before slaughter, you stop feeding them polyunsaturated oils and start feeding them saturated fats.3 They used beef tallow in their experiment, which they found was a bit hard for the pigs to digest. So some farmers are now actually starting to use coconut oil, a plant-based saturated fat, instead.

So what are the fats found on the shelves of grocery stores today, that make up the majority of the US diet? Polyunsaturated fats: mostly soybean oil, which commonly is referred to as vegetable oil. These are the same fats that have been known to fatten livestock in the animal feed business. The saturated fats, which made up most of the fats in the diet of our forefathers, have been almost banned by modern nutrition advice. The result: lean pigs and obese people!!"