Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HotPants
Stats: 183/153/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2013
**Strict Adherence to Stillman's, but stalling. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?**

Hi Stillman Ladies and Gentlemen,

Wondering if you pros can help. I've been on Stillman's for a few days, and lost weight the first 3 days, but for the last 5 DAYS - NO LOSS. I eat organic applegate farms turkey sausage (but having read from you all that sausage has a lot of sodium i stopped) and have switched to organic turkey burgers with less sodium, hard boiled eggs, 80+ oz water, and 4 oz cottage cheese.

I'm wondering why the scale hasn't budged in over 5 days. I'm very confused. I'm also working out too, an hour of cardio and light weights for a few minutes.

It's just odd - I read about so much consistent loss but I'm not experiencing this any longer. I'm not giving up but would like to know if I'm doing something wrong.

Also, concurrent with not losing, I'm also not going to the bathroom - at ALL. Is that where the weight is? I took magnesium and it worked but still no loss.

I have stopped the cottage cheese as well, because I've read that the cottage cheese can cause stalls. But it's not changing the scale.

Any sample diets I can follow directly from all of you successful Stillman friends? I'd love to follow them until my Stillman book arrives from amazon.

Thank you!
HotPants is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Stats: +175/154/148
WOE: FMD
Start Date: February 2012/June 2013
So frustrating! Iam too new to this WOE. Hopefully, you'll get good advice ASAP.
fiveninepointfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Don't panic:)

Page 83; if you come to a stand still one week after losing many pounds previous weeks, don't get upset. Keep up the QWL diet and usually you will lose more weight in the next week or two. The standstill was probably a temporary water retention, which sometimes happens. Check your food intake to make sure you are not eating 1)wrong foods 2) too much food 3)snacking excessively during the day.

So that is what the doctor wrote.

It is possible that you just need time since you stopped the sodium content foods (even CC has sodium?)

I wonder if you should shake it up and eat eggs and seafood. Or try just lean red meat. So hard to say because we are all different. I don't lose on turkey very well. I do best on lean steak and fish/eggs.

Could you also be losing inches?

Hang in there. Maybe your body is adjusting?
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thank you so much Stevie Renee! AND fiveninepointfive!

I appreciate this so much. I hate to be the one to post the token "Stall" entry, but without the book I'm really winging it. (hurry UP, Amazon!) I appreciate it. Ok, of course I'll stay on it, but just to know that it's ok/normal and that the scale will catch up with whatever my body is doing is reassuring. Yeah, you're right: fish is definitely thermogenic. I think it's the most thermogenic food possible. I'm gonna shake it up! I'll eat fish and lean steak. no more cheese. smoked or regular salmon and hard boiled eggs, here I go. 93% lean beef good enough? How low do you go/how high can you go, fat-wise, with the beef? I love tuna but in oil. water packed (even albacore) kind of grosses me out.

I may be losing inches but I usually go by scale. Definitely not getting bigger. Yeah, I think my body is adjusting. I looked at some other entries on other stillmans threads and I did see someone (whose weight and goal weight are similar to mine yay!) and she had a full on 7 day stall and then dropped a few overnight. I don't even need a big whoosh, as I only have 15 to lose, but just need to see the scale moving, to show me that what I'm doing is effective.

"hang in there" is a magic phrase. I appreciate your telling me to do so, and I appreciate the support.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: It'stime
Stats: 186/173/120
WOE: stillman weekdays/Atkins week-ends
Start Date: September 2nd 2014
Hi HotPants,

I bet you'll have a big drop when you go potty. I'm not a opposed to a little romaine lettuce heart at only 3 carbs to help with that issue. I don't do the cottage cheese from the QWL because it is higher in carbs than I'd like so I do have room for those 3 little plumbing unblocking carbs.
It'stime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Hi It'stime! Thanks so much. Your post made me laugh. Still haven't "gone" but this morning the scale showed a .6 lb loss, so really, I'm happy to know that Stillmans is working. Also incredible, I didn't work out yesterday and still lost. Shocking. And yes, I'll have a little romaine heart here or there with my food.

Also? You have nearly identical stats as mine, which is exciting! And we started Stillmans around the same time. Keep me posted on how you are doing, ok?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maepowers
Stats: 290/237/140
WOE: Low Carb, my way/ M&E
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPants View Post
Hi It'stime! Thanks so much. Your post made me laugh. Still haven't "gone" but this morning the scale showed a .6 lb loss, so really, I'm happy to know that Stillmans is working. Also incredible, I didn't work out yesterday and still lost. Shocking. And yes, I'll have a little romaine heart here or there with my food.

Also? You have nearly identical stats as mine, which is exciting! And we started Stillmans around the same time. Keep me posted on how you are doing, ok?
Hi Hot Pants, would have said something sooner, but all the buddies here have given you great info. Our bodies do react different, each of us, to whatever woe we do. Come on over to the Stillmans September, we'd love to have you. Good luck with it and all. Mae
maepowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:11 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Hot Pants,
you are skinnier than me. Unless you need to adjust those stats.

I blew it last night and today,,,,but the good news is I ate mostly low carb. Tomorrow I will eat on my plan....

It will be interesting to see how it affects my weight by ,,,,,let's say a few days. I can't wait to see 170. Every ten pounds is monumental.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Stevie Renee, you were so right. Yesterday I ate cod, eggs, and grilled chicken, stopped the cottage cheese and stopped the sausage. Stall: over! I'm down 3 lbs this morning. Also, I noticed hunger is decreased for the first time since starting. I guess the cottage cheese had enough carbs to take me out of ketosis. I'm not hungry at all and feel alert. Oh, also: didn't work out again and still losing. I don't have to do 1.5 hrs cardio every damn day now. I still love to work out but now I can maybe skip a day and won't have to exhaust myself. Fabulous. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Still don't have the book yet but I'll stick with this and I'll join you all on the September page.

It's Time, Here's my menu, thanks to Stevie Renee Have a look:
breakfast: 2 hb eggs
lunch: big flat grilled chicken breast
dinner: 6 oz broiled cod (it tastes like buttah! so good) and 4 oz broiled salmon

80 oz water

xoxoxoxo to you for your advice.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPants View Post
Stevie Renee, you were so right. Yesterday I ate cod, eggs, and grilled chicken, stopped the cottage cheese and stopped the sausage. Stall: over! I'm down 3 lbs this morning. Also, I noticed hunger is decreased for the first time since starting. I guess the cottage cheese had enough carbs to take me out of ketosis. I'm not hungry at all and feel alert. Oh, also: didn't work out again and still losing. I don't have to do 1.5 hrs cardio every damn day now. I still love to work out but now I can maybe skip a day and won't have to exhaust myself. Fabulous. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Still don't have the book yet but I'll stick with this and I'll join you all on the September page.

It's Time, Here's my menu, thanks to Stevie Renee Have a look:
breakfast: 2 hb eggs
lunch: big flat grilled chicken breast
dinner: 6 oz broiled cod (it tastes like buttah! so good) and 4 oz broiled salmon

80 oz water

xoxoxoxo to you for your advice.
Sweet! Those are my magic foods. I should take my own advice! hahaha

Whoot!
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 5'7" ***/**/125
WOE: Stillman
Start Date: September 10, 2013
I'm BAAAAACK (after not participating much in the past). I love this blog, keeps me motivated! We are having our Biggest Loser contest at the office and I have one month to get to my goal weight so this is definitely the best option to stave off hunger AND get results. Thanks to all our Stillman Buddies for keeping each other motivated!
ThisTimeIsForKeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Hot Pants,

R u around? I've been around the mountain since I talked last with you. up and down and now I'm 5 pounds down. Your menu looks good. I allow myself a shake if I want it to keep from meat fatigue. My shake has macro greens in it and vitamins such as calcium and magnesium.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTimeIsForKeeps View Post
I'm BAAAAACK (after not participating much in the past). I love this blog, keeps me motivated! We are having our Biggest Loser contest at the office and I have one month to get to my goal weight so this is definitely the best option to stave off hunger AND get results. Thanks to all our Stillman Buddies for keeping each other motivated!

Hey Im BAAAAAACK too! Let's do this
Old 10-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Hi It'stime and Everyone,

I've had a hell of a month. I did well on stillmans until the end of september, when my fiance had a health scare. I cooked a lot for him, refrained mostly from what I gave him since he's not a high protein devotee. And some social pressure regarding being out, moments of weakness. I also haven't worked out at all. I'm hypothyroid (and then went Hashi's and now don't have hashis - WTH - it's been such a turbulent month or two) and just dealing with a bunch of issues. None that are of great concern, but kind of like that feeling when you have a doctors appt when you're a child - you just want to nurture yourself with chicken soup and rest - so I haven't been "balls to the wall" about food. I was diagnosed with hypo in July, dealing with thyroid medication, supplements, researching everything, labwork, analysis. Tiring and confusing. Bottom Line: Fiance is ok, I'm ok, and ready again for diligence and low fat protein. Which shakes are possible on Stillman? I have a bunch of Lean Body shake packets from a while ago. They're so delicious and low carb, but I don't think us hypo people are supposed to have soy. I'm on day 2 of being back on the wagon. Lots of eggs. applegate farms organic chicken/sage sausage, roast chicken. I felt so much more calm, whole, strong and relaxed on the way to work this morning. Eating protein, abstaining from sugar and other toxic carbohydrate is SO easy once "in it". And yet, our culture makes it so awkward to remain on track, it's no one's business what/how I eat. I take offence at questions about what I'm eating/why I'm not going for fries or drinks. I will have to formulate a response when hen pecked about my food choices. Food (abuse) in this country really is social. I'm not going to allow myself to suffer, to feel exhausted, to then crave sugar like an alcoholic needs a drink, to have hypo symptoms, simply because someone at work "is having a birthday and won't you please have some cake?" It's not about anyone's feelings, it's about my health, and sense of well being. There is nothing as important than feeling well. I just have to say no, and let it be okay that I don't want it. Because I'm learning that it's not MY food choices that are unhealthy, it's the majority of this country that continues a lifestyle I don't wish to be a part of anymore. It's not me, it's them.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Good attitude hot pants! I have had issues with that too! We just need to use the no word. No thank you, no cake for me

Old 10-31-2013, 05:30 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Back on track!
Stats: 400/267.8/150
WOE: Max 30 carbs
Start Date: January 2011
Good morning I'm seriously considering trying stillmans for the month of November. any particular advice about what I may face in the beginning and how to get through? Thanks in advance!
Back on track! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: pawp11
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: 9/30/13
Back on Track, I can tell you that I had a headache for days two and three. Other than that, I have been good. If I eat too much red meat I get heartburn, but that's it. Someone will post a November thread tomorrow. It is a great place for advice and support and motivation. The monthly thread is also the busiest on the forum.
pawp11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:07 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Paw! I'm already sugar free and low carb so hopefully the headache will be minimal! I had a doozy of a headache when I first gave up sugar and cut the carbs back, I do remember that Thank you!
Old 10-31-2013, 11:19 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Hi Friends!

Yes, Tomorrow is Nov.1, and a new thread will be starting. Excited to get started. Back on Track, here's what I now know, thanks to these great people here, to do on Stillmans.

Get the book. Read it! If you don't have it, just adhere strictly to the rules. Don't get "creative", have faith in the reasons for the rules of this WOE. Get into it, follow it, and you'll be fine.
I lost slower on turkey, but higher on cod and eggs. By the end of the 3rd day you won't crave sugar or flour anymore. What you WILL have to do is plan your menu proactively. It's a little bit how people in the 1940s used to eat. you have to WAIT for the water to boil to get eggs for breakfast, you have to MAKE egg salad, you have to SHOP for fish and then COOK it. It's a step back in time, as it requires you to eat whole foods, not just "assemble" processed ones. I quite like it. It's a calmer way. If you forget to cook ahead, a little cottage cheese and hb eggs from a deli will get you through until you have time to roast beef,or fish, etc. It's work, but I feel more connected to myself, calmer, "unhooked" from sugar addiction, freed up for the rest of what is great about life. Sometimes it seems like food is so social, its the pressure from friends that pulls me back into the temptation to have something I shouldn't. I think it's best to just be open with anyone who you see daily. Tell them you're allergic, you have changed diet. Show them with daily meals that you love and that SMELL FANTASTIC that you're committed and vigilant. They'll ideally understand and respect that it's part of your life. I'm getting this all laid down in my own routine so that when holidays approach I'll be far removed from temptation. Best to you! Let me know if you have questions, happy to help if I can.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Day one

Well, here goes! Did my stat day and I'm off! Thanks for the advice!