Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Olive
WOE: Atkins DANDR
Start Date: April 10 2014
Six questions

Hi all -- sorry for being the annoying newbie. I'm considering starting this plan in about a week (been on Atkins induction for a month, with decent results). I've been trying to find answers in the forum with no luck to these questions:

1) What negative symptoms are associated with starting out with Stillman's? I'm already in ketosis, so don't have to go through carb withdrawal. I assume constipation is common at the very least. What about nausea? Are the nasty things about ketosis (bad breath, muscle aches, weird body odor) exaggerated in a severe form of the ketogenic diet?

2) Do most people manage without vegetables of any kind for faster results -- or do people usually eat those optional 2 cups of veggies a day in QWL?

3) Is it pretty much impossible to eat out on Stillman's? With the exception of roast skinless chicken, I can't think of another restaurant that wouldn't cook proteins in at least a little bit of oil.

4) Is there a minimum of calories associated to Stillman's? I get the feeling that I probably won't be able to choke down more than 600 a day on this plan, as nothing is palatable.

5) How long should QWL last?

6) After people have reached the weight they want to reach on Stillman's, which WOE do they usually transition towards to successfully maintain?

Thanks!
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 181.8/178.4/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: March 28, 2014 (restart)
1) mild constipation but its not so bad because your "waste" is dramatically reduced. Well, at least in my case. My mouth tastes like soap! It was never like that on Atkins. I have no muscle aches. I don't smell weird. (never have!)
2) Most of us are veggie-less. There are no veggies in QWL. I think you're referring to the other two plans.
3) Eating out is a no-go for me. I personally think it would be a waste of money as my diet has so little variety. I'd have to tweak anything and everything. (What adds flavor? Fat and or carbs. Both are severely restricted on this WOE so why spend good money on tasteless lean protein?)
4) minimum calories? No. But, watch it carefully if you plan to be on it awhile. (I do.) I don't want my metabolism crapping out on me so I aim for around 1,000 calories, but some days I have far less. I eat a lot of eggs and that keeps my calories higher.
5) some are on QWL only a short time, others a bit longer. I have one higher carb higher calorie day a week. It slows my losses down for a few days, but overall keeps me on track. And, I can't complain about my losses---16 pounds in 19 days.
6) I think you can transition to anything that you can stick to long term. I'm considering going back to Juddd because I like the plan and it gives me flexibility.

Currently detoxing due to numerous food sensitivities.

Gluten, yeast, & soy free!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymousity View Post
1) mild constipation but its not so bad because your "waste" is dramatically reduced. Well, at least in my case. My mouth tastes like soap! It was never like that on Atkins. I have no muscle aches. I don't smell weird. (never have!)
2) Most of us are veggie-less. There are no veggies in QWL. I think you're referring to the other two plans.
3) Eating out is a no-go for me. I personally think it would be a waste of money as my diet has so little variety. I'd have to tweak anything and everything. (What adds flavor? Fat and or carbs. Both are severely restricted on this WOE so why spend good money on tasteless lean protein?)
4) minimum calories? No. But, watch it carefully if you plan to be on it awhile. (I do.) I don't want my metabolism crapping out on me so I aim for around 1,000 calories, but some days I have far less. I eat a lot of eggs and that keeps my calories higher.
5) some are on QWL only a short time, others a bit longer. I have one higher carb higher calorie day a week. It slows my losses down for a few days, but overall keeps me on track. And, I can't complain about my losses---16 pounds in 19 days.
6) I think you can transition to anything that you can stick to long term. I'm considering going back to Juddd because I like the plan and it gives me flexibility.
Thanks so much for your response! Really helpful.

I am also considering doing one higher-carb day a week. I have to mentally prepare myself for this WOE though, before I start. It goes against absolutely everything I'm used to regarding food!
Old 08-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Anonymousity
Stats: 181.8/178.4/135 5'6" (highest wt. 215)
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: March 28, 2014 (restart)
The first few days were VERY hard for me. I have binge issues so banishing the cravings was difficult. Now that I am craving free, I don't even want the higher fat/higher carb stuff. It is VERY motivating to be losing almost a pound a day on average. It really helps me to stay on track.

I know a lot of others have misgivings about Stillmams, but we all know this "diet" is short term. We all know we will transition to another WOE sooner or later. And that's ok!

Join in the monthly thread or the 21 day thread when you're ready!

Oh, and I had a higher carb day yesterday (I had dreamfields pasta) and was still able to lose a pound! My one day off plan was enough and today im back on track.

Good luck!
Anonymousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymousity View Post
The first few days were VERY hard for me. I have binge issues so banishing the cravings was difficult. Now that I am craving free, I don't even want the higher fat/higher carb stuff. It is VERY motivating to be losing almost a pound a day on average. It really helps me to stay on track.

I know a lot of others have misgivings about Stillmams, but we all know this "diet" is short term. We all know we will transition to another WOE sooner or later. And that's ok!

Join in the monthly thread or the 21 day thread when you're ready!

Oh, and I had a higher carb day yesterday (I had dreamfields pasta) and was still able to lose a pound! My one day off plan was enough and today im back on track.

Good luck!
Congrats!! You're doing awesome. And everything you're saying about remembering this is temporary WOE, and how motivating the 1 lb/day loss is really resonates.

You will definitely see me in the 21 day thread whining for sympathy about the first few days. I'm thinking Tuesday.

Thanks again!