Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Stillman's (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/stillmans/)
-   -   Zero calorie greek/natural yoghurt (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/stillmans/808882-zero-calorie-greek-natural-yoghurt.html)

kitty_el 07-29-2013 01:13 PM

Zero calorie greek/natural yoghurt

I have been reading through some of the post's and a few people have mentioned using fat free yoghurt on Stillman's, instead of cottage cheese.

Is this really allowed? I thought the whole idea of Stillman's was very low carb & low calorie. The fat free total greek yoghurt popular here has 4g carbs in 100g and the low calorie cottage cheese has 3.4g carbs in 100g - these both seem very high in carbs for such a restrictive plan.

Hmmmm I am confused :dunno:

Kiley2801 08-01-2013 08:42 AM

He allows a small amount of non-fat yogurt on his "14 day Shape up" program ... sticky with those details is at the top of this page.

But as for the Quick Weight Loss diet, if you are following it to the letter, then no- yogurt is prohibited.

That being said, many people modify Stillmans QWL to make it live-able for them... some might add a little cream here or there, have higher-fat meats occasionally, etc.

Starzmom 08-13-2013 04:41 AM

Also, he does allow cottage cheese and he says nothing about it having to be low fat. I think the key on his diet is to eat only when hungry, the items he allows, and drink plenty of water.

kitty_el 08-13-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starzmom (Post 16557245)
Also, he does allow cottage cheese and he says nothing about it having to be low fat. I think the key on his diet is to eat only when hungry, the items he allows, and drink plenty of water.

I just wish I liked cottage cheese... Lean protein gets so boring lol

Starzmom 08-13-2013 03:10 PM

I love cottage cheese but have to limit it because of the salt.
You're doing so well on Stillman's even tho it's boring.
Try some sugar free jello.:)

kitty_el 08-14-2013 11:58 AM

I did think about sugar free jelly, wasn't sure if it was allowed, but I suppose if diet soda is then surely this would be :)

Anonymousity 08-16-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starzmom (Post 16557245)

Did low fat cottage cheese even exist when he wrote the book?

The low fat craze didn't start until later, so my guess is that it didn't exist!

It stands to reason that if everything else he recommends is low fat, that he would have recommended low fat cottage cheese if it was available.

Its the same reason that minor tweaks work----because a lot of the low carb/low fat products available today didn't exist 40 years ago!

Kiley2801 08-16-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymousity (Post 16561947)
Did low fat cottage cheese even exist when he wrote the book?

The low fat craze didn't start until later, so my guess is that it didn't exist!

It stands to reason that if everything else he recommends is low fat, that he would have recommended low fat cottage cheese if it was available.

Its the same reason that minor tweaks work----because a lot of the low carb/low fat products available today didn't exist 40 years ago!

I just assumed since he says "COTTAGE CHEESE, FARMER CHEESE, POT CHEESE made with skim milk and no whole milk" that low-fat cottage cheese did exist back then.

But not sure...

Stevie Renee 08-22-2013 08:32 AM

For what it is worth, years ago I skipped cc and used full fat sour cream. I used it mixed in with my chicken or eggs. Just enough enough to add some moisture. Had no stalling or issues.

Callianna 08-22-2013 09:33 AM

I was thinking that a little nonfat plain Greek yogurt might be okay, because the protein level is a lot higher than the yogurt from "back then," and the carbs have to be pretty similar to cottage cheese.

Callianna 08-22-2013 08:29 PM

I discovered at the grocery store tonight that some cottage cheese has food starch added to it, making it 6 or 7 carbs per 1/2 cup instead of 4! Glad I checked the labels. I wish they would just let food be how it was meant to be instead of trying to improve it with additives.