Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hoops
Stats: 5'9"
I am down another 1.2 pounds today. Today is day 7, so Sunday is my day to get out the tape measure to see where I lost the inches. I am excited!

So, many of you weigh weekly instead of daily like Dr. Stillman suggests. I may switch over and do the same. I go back to work on Monday after a 2 week break, and I often forget to weigh myself. Besides, weighing in on a Sunday will keep me in check Friday and Saturday. We will see. What do the rest of you do with weighing and measuring?

Mim~ I bet that gel topper is fabulous. I think it may be even nicer in the summer!

Leo~ You know your body the best, and it looks like you have what works better for you.

Rosebud~ So, Panera provided at work, a birthday lunch out, and then a get together... all in one day and you only consumed 1300 calories. Sure, you could've packed everything and stuck with it, however you did a fantastic job making good choices and yet still enjoying a few drinks with friends at the end of the day. It is not an everyday deal, and you are back on strict today. Pretty good. Oh, and nice weight loss so far!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #62
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Laura- I have always weighed weekly because I've found that weighing too often leads me to 'tweaking' according to the scale number--and not in a good way.

I also put my weekly weight in a calendar to observe trends over time. That has been invaluable to me in seeing 'patterns' in my weight loss.

If I had the nerve, I'd actually weigh just monthly, but I know how quickly I can gain, so a weekly check is essential for me.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SrfrGirl
Stats: Goal: 125 lbs.
WOE: Stillman's & Zero Carb
Start Date: 5/20/12 restart 12/23/12
Mim: you have been doing so much! Take care of you. You mean a lot to so many of us, esp. me!

Leo:Nothing wrong with you babe! Do what works for you! A few peeps here use magnesium tabs, I took their advice. It works. Whatever works, do. I'm naturally inclined to constipation and on all protein, it's worse but worth it for the weight loss.

Rosebud:I'm so happy about you massive weight loss!
You actually did great for your social night, no potatoes. Wow. I'm so proud of you. I would have been eating fries off people's plates.
SrfrGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
{{{{{{{{{{{Leo}}}}}}}}}}}}

hi losers! baking up some pork chops.

Mim, to thine own self be true. And gentle. My SIL died from a heart attack at 41, which was a result of her MS.
CCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #65
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
I am a weigh every day person. I've tried weekly and monthly but it doesn't work for me. I found that it gave me a kind of license to eat, 'cause I wouldn't be stepping on the scale! And when I would faithfully stay on plan for the week, I would expect a 45 pound loss! I chart my weight daily and that really helps me see patterns and how far I've come. Although the last time I weighed was the morning of Christmas Eve and the next time I'll weigh is Tuesday. I know I've gained and I want to take off a few pounds before I face the scale - it won't look quite as bad hopefully by Tuesday! Denial is my friend!

I take magnesium at night. I also take a probiotic. Since I've added the probiotic, I am not having any digestive issues.
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud5t
Stats: 188.6/174.8/140
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: October 2013
I seeeeee seafood!!!!

Today I've had only tilapia and am now snacking on some baby shrimp.... All cooked with the "Asian flair" suggestion and OMG I'm drooling as I eat!!!! It is beyond delicious!!! I mixed up some extra "sauce" to take with me when I'm traveling this week. My hotel has a full kitchen and the coworker that will also be there doesn't like to eat out, so no off-plan excuses!

Thanks for the encouragement! Thankfully no one at the table had fries last night! Luckily I'm naturally a carnivore, so I'll take wings over fries anyway!!!

I also take Magnesium (to stave off restless leg syndrome fits). I didnt know it helps with constipation. I already also take a probiotic along with Fiber Con. Seems to work okay as long as I drink a lot of water.

Haha Mim! I'd love to see that on the scale!!!

Leo, I like to see the trends, too. Your stats are amazing!!!!

Wow Laura, FANTASTIC progress!!!
Rosebud5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #67
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Hi, all...

I'm a daily weigher...and I track it on my email calendar AND on a tracker. How's that for OCD, lol.

But seriously, I started long ago keeping track on the email calendar...and then found out that I could use a free tracker and it would show me trends on graphs just based on my putting in my weight every day. Love it, easy to use. And whenever I stall out, I can look at the chart over the course of several weeks or several months and see how far downhill my chart goes

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mar922
Stats: 195/195/175 5'3.5
WOE: stillmans
Start Date: Feb 2011 Restart June 2014
Hey guys!

I have been maintaining since I was last on here... I am still at 151 and I am happy at this weight and I am also lazy but I think I still wanna get into the 140's even if I only lose 2 pounds to get there haha

I didn't gain over the holidays! Although I did get the stomach flu mid december and didn't eat anythig but toast for 6 days so that helps.. haha
Mar922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:30 AM   #69
Senior LCF member

Magnesium doesn't help me--tried for a long time!

But I haven't done much with probiotics. Does anyone have a brand to recommend?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #70
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good Sunday morning! I am continuing to lose the "water" weight - as evidenced by how often I wake up at night to go to the loo. I'm not sure what I'm hoping for when I weigh in on Tuesday. I had gained a few pounds before I left for Christmas. Too many Christmas parties! I hope to at least be at that weight. It would be nice but I'm not sure how realistic to see a smaller number! But whatever the scale shows on Tuesday - I'm in the zone and I'll continue to lose weight. My next stop is the 50 pound club!

Hi Mar! I've been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing! Congratulations on maintaining!

Leo - I don't think we are allowed to name brands, but the probiotics I use can be bought in drug stores and discount stores. It is in a yellow box and it begins with C. I take one every night.

Ok - I've gotta get going here. I'll check in later!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Good morning!

I stuck with my all-fish day yesterday, just tilapia and shrimp. I stayed pretty full but ended the day with super low calories, so I'm not sure if that's okay or not. ??? I am religious about taking my vitamins, just don't want another dizzy spell. I'm going to take some FF cheese to work this week just in case.

I was looking at ground turkey at the store yesterday and it seemed pretty high in calories and fat compared with chicken. It sounds like a lot of people have good results with it, though?

I hope everyone has a fantastic day!!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #72
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Rosebud, my calories can get pretty low too. Pay attention to how you feel - it is a good idea to have the ff cheese with you while you experiment with how much you need to eat to keep feeling good. And you need to eat as much as it takes - don't worry about the calories. I personally don't like ground turkey, but if you like it, go for it.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #73
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

I feel really good. I didn't think about what to put on this morning - I just pulled a pair of slacks and a sweater out and they fit like they did before Christmas! I know I've gained, but my clothes still fit nicely, so hopefully I won't be too far above my low weight when I weigh in on Tuesday!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Weekly Weigh and Measure- Week 1
-9.2 pounds
-2" off belly (belly botton spot)
-1" off each chest, hips, and waist (smallest spot I could find)
-0.5" off each shoulders and thigh
-0.25" off each calf and arm (bicept)

What do you all think about Dr. Stillman's weight tables from his book?
He says to never go more than 5 pounds above the table below, or we bring in disease. He even suggests elderly people weigh less than the chart.

Height Ladies, Gentlemen
5'0" 98 pounds, 105 pounds
5'1" 100 pounds, 110 pounds
5'2" 105 pounds, 115 pounds
5'3" 110 pounds, 120 pounds
5'4" 115 pounds, 125 pounds
5'5" 120 pounds, 130 pounds
5'6" 125 pounds, 135 pounds
5'7" 128 pounds, 140 pounds
5'8" 133 pounds, 145 pounds
5'9" 138 pounds, 150 pounds
5'10" 143 pounds, 155 pounds
5'11" 148 pounds, 157 pounds
6'0" 153 pounds, 160 pounds
6'1" 158 pounds, 165 pounds
6'2" 163 pounds, 170 pounds
6'3" not listed, 173 pounds
6'4" not listed, 175 pounds
6'5" not listed, 178 pounds
6'6" not listed, 180 pounds
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made some jello last night, 3 flavors. I haven't had any yet, but I do like it sort of kind of. I am reading my book again last night and today, taking a nice lazy day before returning to work tomorrow after a 2 week vacation. How much jello are we allowed in a day? I was thinking 1 or 2 servings?

Mim~ Maybe you have lost it! You certainly have gotten rid of the extra bloat by all those bathroom trips.

Rosebud~ I did fine with very lean roast beef slices from the deli and with 4% fat hambuger. I also munched on turkey pepperoni last night. I had the munchies.

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday and feeling wonderful!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #76
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Hoops - I've always thought thought the weight the good Dr. suggests are too low. But that may be because I don't think I'll ever see 120, let alone 110! I remember reading sometime ago that "elderly" people should carry some extra weight so that if they get sick they have some extra. I don't remember where or why I read that, and I don't know what "elderly" means. The older I get, the older I think "elderly" is! Years ago I lost down to 150 and was a size 10. I felt good and felt like I looked good. But again, the older I get, the better a size 14 looks! I'm around 230 right now. Sigh
Old 01-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #77
Senior LCF member

Mim- Thanks for the tip about the probiotic. I'll look for it in the drugstore next time I'm there.

Hoops-
I think Dr. S's weight chart is very outdated. The 'ideal' weight for a person is very individual because more than height is involved. There's age and also basic body type.

Example--Growing up, I was barely 5'4" (now I've 'shrunk' to 5'2" at age 71!), and I went on my first self-imposed 'diet' at age 14. My goal was 125 lbs (I started at 205) because I'd read that was a good weight for my height. When I got down to 135, I looked and felt great, and I happened to have a medical check up for school at that weight. The doctor noticed my weight loss, of course, but he advised me to maintain at 135 and not go any lower.

But I was determined--and I got down to 125. At that weight, I looked dreadful--and my period was gone for 6 months (I had to see the doctor to get meds to get it started again.) Moreover, I could not sustain that weight and quickly gained--to 150!

Now at 5'2", you might think that 143 is too high a weight for me. But having lost almost 200 lbs, I have a lot of loose skin (easily 8 lbs, possibly more), so the scale weight is deceiving. I look and feel great at this weight--and I have to work to maintain it, so I know that I don't want to go any lower.

I've read what Mim mentioned, too--i.e., that 'senior' people do better with a little extra weight, but I wonder how those studies were conducted. For example, many elderly people who live alone not only don't eat enough but often exist on cereal and other non-nourishing foods because they don't want to bother with cooking and cleaning up. Is the problem their low weight or malnutrition?

I've known being slender to be advantageous. For example, a woman I knew developed ovarian cancer in her late 60s. She had always watched her weight and was super slim. Her surgeon told her that her lack of belly fat made the surgery far more successful because he could see the organs more clearly and was better able to excise the necessary lymph nodes. He told her that body fat was always a problem for the surgeon.

So I don't think there's any conclusive answer to the weight issue. My goal is simply to be as healthy as I can. I'm hypothyroid, and I have blood tests every 4 months. At my regular check up last Friday, my endo raved about how great all my 'numbers' are, so eating very low carb and low calorie (as I do) seems to be good for my body.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Hoops~ whooohoooooo!!!!!! Great job, you must feel great!!!!! thanks for the input on foods, too. I used to eat a lot of turkey pepperoni and love it! I thought I had read somewhere 1 serving of SF Jell-O per day, but I have no idea if that's right. At 10 cals, it can't be too much of a problem to have a little more unless someone is sensitive to the sweetener.

I agree that the weight chart isn't realistic for everyone. I'm 5'6 and when I got down to 145 I was a very comfortable size 8, which I thought was very healthy for me. And I like keeping a few curves.

Mim~ good for you! Regardless of the scale, feeling good is what it's all about!!! I've never had ground turkey, but it doesn't sound super good, so for now I'll stick with the boring stuff I already like.

Today I had:
B - 3 oz tilapia
L - 4 oz tilapia
D - 6 oz rotisserie chicken
- 1 slice FF cheese
S - 1 SF Jell-O
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

Today was:
Turkey pepperoni
Halibut with fat free feta and parsley
making dinner soon....will veal scallopini with garlic and lemon.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #80
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrfrGirl View Post
Today was:
Turkey pepperoni
Halibut with fat free feta and parsley
making dinner soon....will veal scallopini with garlic and lemon.
Your menu for the day always sounds so yummy! Can I came live with you? : )
Old 01-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Your menu for the day always sounds so yummy! Can I came live with you? : )
Sure Mim, come on over!
Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
srfr girl: i have never tried the boston market brand turkey.

Last edited by Shreem; 01-07-2013 at 02:02 AM..
Shreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:56 AM   #83
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good Monday morning! I weighed this morning - I couldn't wait any longer! I'm half a pound above where I was on Christmas Eve, which was the last time I weighed before leaving for the holidays. That is good news. The bad news is that the weight I was on Christmas Eve was a 6 lb gain from my low that I hit before the Christmas parties began. I'm not too upset. I actually think I did quite well, given my history - often at this point I would have gained 15 and be struggling to get back on plan! I'll have the extra weight off hopefully by this time next week and then start on the next 10 pounds, which will put me in the 50 pounds lost club!

I feel like a success. I know that I don't have the impressive and steady losses that some have, but I keep plugging away. What is different for me in this weight loss journey is that I haven't had the typical go off plan and gain it all back and then some and then have to start over. I am going to lose at least 60 more pounds in 2013. That won't put me at goal but it will get me closer and I'll look and feel better. And who knows? - Maybe I'll be able to lose more than 60!

I felt much stronger yesterday. I'm going to walk to the office today. I got a new hat and scarf for Christmas, along with several pairs of gloves. I will look spiffy on my walk! : )
I'll only wear one pair of the new gloves though!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Happy Monday!!!

Good morning!

Mim, that's wonderful!!!! You ARE a success! I know exactly what you mean about the gain it all back and struggle to get back on plan cycle, it's what I struggle with the most.

I put on my favorite dress pants this morning, hoping they'd feel a little less snug and they don't. I need to make sure I don't let days like this deter me and instead use it for motivation. I'm working out of state right now, but brought my lunch bag and have my chicken packed up so there's no temptation to go out for lunch. 2 eggs over medium for breakfast (no oil or butter in the pan.).

Everyone have a fantastic Monday!!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #85
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{Mar}}}}}}}}}}

good plan Rosebud, brown bagging is da bomb!!!!!!
BTW my mom kept getting those dizzy spells and it's because you're not eating enough!

Yay to success Mim! Strut in those new duds!

OMG Leo is really a Lea...........my bad!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #86
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: SkinnyNikki
Stats: 198.5/192/130
WOE: Dukan
Start Date: Sept 2012
Hi All! Just wanted to see if I can join in here for temporary purposes... I am on the CAD and loving it, but losing sorta slow (.5lb every 2 days or so, maybe a little more depending on my workout). I need to look GREAT for sunday- and have done stillmans before. Thinking of jumping on the wagon from tues - sunday. Started taking chromium supplements which really have been helping my carb cravings. Then- i will likely gravitate to CAD but the whole point being- to regulate my insulin and i think Stillmas is most efficient for short term kick butt loss that i need! Worse case scenerio- i know i can always have a carby snack and still be along the CAD guidelines, so basically i just dont want to pressure myself too much but do want to kick some serious a$$
SkinnyNikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #87
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Skinny Nikki! Stay with as long as you want! You will love it here!

I walked to the office today. I'm not sure I will brave it tomorrow though - there are places where the sidewalks have not been shoveled. It is a bit above freezing and sunny which means the snow will melt and turn to ice - so, I'll make a decision in the morning. I was surprised at how out of shape I am after two weeks of not walking. On the other hand, I'm still able to do the walk easier than I did when I first started! Progress!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #88
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

welcome back Nikki!!!!!!!!

Mim it's going to hit fifty here by Friday so it should be warming up your way a bit, nice walking weather.

Baked DH an enormous ham. Soaked overnight to get out the salt. Yummy!
Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I read what you all wrote. I wish I had time to respond to you all, however I got on my computer finally just to come in here to read about everyone's day. Yea! You're all doing so well. Also, thank you for the responses. That weight chart seems crazy to me, too. I get up for work before 6am and it is almost 2am, so I am heading to bed. I will try to get online tomorrow evening.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #90
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good Tuesday morning! This is my first "official" weigh in for two weeks. Can you believe Christmas Eve was two weeks ago? I am a pound under what I was then! I'm very happy with myself. I still have a few to get off to get back in the 40 lb lost club, but by this time next week I will be there and maybe starting on the next ten, to get in the 50 lb lost club! I will walk to the office again today. In spite of my complaining about non-shoveled sidewalks, I know I need the exercise. So, I'll walk! And not even complain!

Hi Hoops!