Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Stillman's (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/stillmans/)
-   -   Dancing through December the Stillman's way (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/stillmans/790430-dancing-through-december-stillmans-way.html)

Mim 12-01-2012 04:57 AM

Dancing through December the Stillman's way

Welcome to the December thread where we support each other as we move from thick to thin!

Mim 12-01-2012 05:06 AM

Good Saturday morning! And happy 1st of December! I had a weird eating day yesterday. I had cravings! It always surprises me when that happens after I've been on plan for a long time. I am convinced that even though "it is no longer that way" for me, I have pms sometimes! Anyway, I stayed low carb but I made a low carb cheesecake. And then I went to dinner with friends and tried to stay on plan and actually didn't do too badly considering the menu! So I ended the day with more carbs and way more fat than typical but feeling pretty good that I made it through without a carb blowout! I'm up half a pound this morning, but I'll be fine. And btw - Lincoln is a must see movie!

Mim 12-01-2012 05:09 AM

CC - it is indeed hard the first holiday, especially Christmas. But you should put up your decorations nonetheless. If you don't feel like putting up everything you typically do, scale it back. But do decorate. And give your mom some sweet potatoes along with the other suggestions!

catne 12-01-2012 07:58 AM

Happy December! Can't believe it's December...this year has flown by.

Mim, I shouldn't have symptoms of PMS either...but I think there's still some hormone activity going on, so yes, there are mood swings & cravings (can we say CHOCOLATE!) It's good to find the LC substitutes. Good for you, staying on plan.

Restaurant meals are my stumbling block...even staying totally Atkins my weight pops up the next day. I usually blame the salt & higher quantities of food/calories. But something Leo41 said in a post has me wondering...she mentioned food sensitivities. Now I'm wondering if there's more to it than lot just salt. Do restaurants still use MSG all the time? Maybe I'm reacting to something like that in the food? We had a great Atkins-legal restaurant meal last night...and I'm up .8 lbs this morning. NOT a good way to start December. ;-(

CC, hugs to you. The holidays are hard...but also good for hanging onto memories. Treat yourself gently this holiday season...enjoy a quiet celebration.

Leo41 12-01-2012 04:09 PM

Cathy- I don't know whether restaurants use MSG all the time, but I've read that they often sprinkle it on their greens to keep them fresh looking.

I react to MSG, and last year when visiting my niece at college, we had lunch at the local Applebee's. I thought I would be right on plan with a salad w/plain boiled shrimp, dressing on the side. I ignored the dressing because I have no problem eating salad with just a touch of salt and vinegar.

Thirty minutes after we left the restaurant, I had a severe MSG reaction. My BP plummeted, and I really thought we'd have to go to the ER. But it passed within another 30 min. (as my MSG reactions usually do).

I react very strongly to MSG, but also to other 'flavor enhancers' that restaurants use as well as food dyes. Those reactions are usually just water retention and bloating (with the gain on the scale).

It's impossible to totally avoid restaurant meals, and I find the higher end the restaurant, the better my experience in terms of reactions. I never eat fast food, for example, and I generally avoid chain restaurants (which was all that was available in that college town).

I suspect that many people have mild sensitivities that result in an apparent 'gain' on the scale due to water retention. I wouldn't be as aware of this were it not for my MSG experiences (in the 70s, I had to stop eating in Chinese restaurants completely).

Mim 12-02-2012 05:41 AM

Good Sunday morning! Funny how life happens when you think you have everything planned! Yesterday some friends were helping me out. I had to pick up a very large air hockey table I bought for my son in law. So while a friend with a large vehicle and I went to get it, two other friends went to dd's house to start doing a bit of work than needed to be finished. We met up there and got the table in - I'm going to put some brown paper over it and let the movers take it. Anyway, a small project turned into a bigger project - we changed out a light and I ended up having to go to the hardware store because one of the screws was bent. So it was late when we finished up and time for lunch. I was starving because I hadn't had any breakfast. So we went to a restaurant and I was on the verge of ordering a loaded burger and fries, when common sense took over. I was actually able to imagine how I would feel today, both physically and emotionally. So I ordered a meal salad. This morning I'm down that half pound I gained on my "pms" day. I need to do better if I'm going to make my goal by Christmas though. I have three meetings over meals next week. All three are in restaurants and while I'm also in the club that doesn't like to eat in restaurants, at least I can make choices there, as opposed to going to someone's house and being served. Anyway, I'm feeling good about myself and ready to see some more weight drop!

Happy Sunday!

CCGirl 12-02-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mim (Post 16110140)
CC - it is indeed hard the first holiday, especially Christmas. But you should put up your decorations nonetheless. If you don't feel like putting up everything you typically do, scale it back. But do decorate. And give your mom some sweet potatoes along with the other suggestions!

Thanks, Mim.
Listened to holiday music on the way back from Vt. I think we're getting there spirit wise.
Quote:

Originally Posted by catne (Post 16110351)
Happy December! Can't believe it's December...this year has flown by.

Mim, I shouldn't have symptoms of PMS either...but I think there's still some hormone activity going on, so yes, there are mood swings & cravings (can we say CHOCOLATE!) It's good to find the LC substitutes. Good for you, staying on plan.

Restaurant meals are my stumbling block...even staying totally Atkins my weight pops up the next day. I usually blame the salt & higher quantities of food/calories. But something Leo41 said in a post has me wondering...she mentioned food sensitivities. Now I'm wondering if there's more to it than lot just salt. Do restaurants still use MSG all the time? Maybe I'm reacting to something like that in the food? We had a great Atkins-legal restaurant meal last night...and I'm up .8 lbs this morning. NOT a good way to start December. ;-(

CC, hugs to you. The holidays are hard...but also good for hanging onto memories. Treat yourself gently this holiday season...enjoy a quiet celebration.

hugs girl, and thanks. Mom and Dad always came for Thanksgiving so that was really the hard one for me. Now I just worry about her.......:heart:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mim (Post 16111952)
Good Sunday morning! Funny how life happens when you think you have everything planned! Yesterday some friends were helping me out. I had to pick up a very large air hockey table I bought for my son in law. So while a friend with a large vehicle and I went to get it, two other friends went to dd's house to start doing a bit of work than needed to be finished. We met up there and got the table in - I'm going to put some brown paper over it and let the movers take it. Anyway, a small project turned into a bigger project - we changed out a light and I ended up having to go to the hardware store because one of the screws was bent. So it was late when we finished up and time for lunch. I was starving because I hadn't had any breakfast. So we went to a restaurant and I was on the verge of ordering a loaded burger and fries, when common sense took over. I was actually able to imagine how I would feel today, both physically and emotionally. So I ordered a meal salad. This morning I'm down that half pound I gained on my "pms" day. I need to do better if I'm going to make my goal by Christmas though. I have three meetings over meals next week. All three are in restaurants and while I'm also in the club that doesn't like to eat in restaurants, at least I can make choices there, as opposed to going to someone's house and being served. Anyway, I'm feeling good about myself and ready to see some more weight drop!

Happy Sunday!

good job, you go girl! Heck I'd settle for no gain. I set the bar low. The Charlie Sheen of dieters. :hyst:

Mim 12-03-2012 05:16 AM

Good Monday morning! I have lost half a pound! I haven't lost in several days, so this feels very good! I need to step it up if I'm going to meet my Christmas goal. I'm throwing the last deer meat in the crockpot this morning. The hunters got more last week, so it will soon be replaced. I'm also going to eat lots of fish the next few days too in order to get the weight loss moving again. It was supposed to rain today but the forecast has changed so I'll walk to work. Hey - every effort helps, eh!

Happy Monday!

optionyout 12-03-2012 09:26 AM

New to these forums. I started Stillman 2 weeks ago today. 11 pounds down. Craving chinese food for 2 days since I was watching Shanghai Knights but not actually that hungry. Started 188, 177 this morning. So, I plan on 2 weeks more. Good luck to everyone else trying it. FYI, it's the evening that are tough. Water, water, water.

Leo41 12-03-2012 02:42 PM

Mim- Beware of pressuring yourself too much to lose. I find that when I do that, my body often resists, and when I find myself not losing as much as I planned, I get disgusted, go off plan, and then am far from my goal. Throughout my weight loss, I was always careful not to make time/pounds goals because of that.

Optionyout- Glad this is working so well for you!

Mim 12-03-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo41 (Post 16115093)
Mim- Beware of pressuring yourself too much to lose. I find that when I do that, my body often resists, and when I find myself not losing as much as I planned, I get disgusted, go off plan, and then am far from my goal. Throughout my weight loss, I was always careful not to make time/pounds goals because of that.

Optionyout- Glad this is working so well for you!

Thanks for the reminder, Leo. I haven't set date/weight goals in a very long time. I am of the opinion that our bodies will lose as much and as fast as they will and date/weight goals do indeed tend to have unintended consequences. I set the goal because I got caught up in just needing to get through the 220's finally. But I'm going to take your advise and just chill, stay on plan, and what will be will be!

Leo41 12-03-2012 04:14 PM

Mim- I just try to keep my goal at staying on plan and taking it one day at a time. I know that some people do best with specific weight-loss goals, but impatience has always backfired on me :sad:

About your craving the other day. I find that when I'm on Stillman's for several days in a row, I will crave fat--how many days is impossible to predict; it's been 3 and it's been 10. I know that Cathy does regular Atkins on weekends, and I'd tried doing that each Sunday, but I find it works better for me is I do an "Atkins Day" (moderate fat) when that craving hits, and then get right back to Stillman's.

BrattyS 12-03-2012 06:22 PM

Hello! Yes I have been MIA for awhile. Wish I could say I have been fabulous and lost weight but I wasn't good by any means.
However I have been back on for a week now. Not sure how much I weigh because I do not want to know. I am going to weigh at the end of December.

I signed up for a 5K today that is in May. This is something I have never done and I want to do it so badly. It will be my motivation.

Mim 12-04-2012 04:58 AM

Hi Bratty! Welcome back - we missed you!

This is weigh in day and for this week, I've lost .5 pounds. And yes, it is a loss but it is hard to take - But, I will carry on. I'm not tempted to go off plan because of the lack of scale movement. I feel too good to dive into carbs. So I'll continue walking and eating on plan and eventually I'll get out of the 220's!

Have a great Tuesday!

Leo41 12-04-2012 05:56 AM

Good for you, Mim, not to let that scale number drive you off plan!

I know from experience how easily one leads to the other:sad:

Keep in mind that the scale can 'lie,' that we can have lost more fat but the body can temporarily fill those fat cells with water, so that the scale number doesn't represent our actual loss.

Here's hoping you have a whoosh next week.

SkinnyNikki 12-04-2012 07:59 AM

May I join in here? :)

Hi All, wondering if i can join in here? I have done Stillmans in the past and lost pretty easily. I really want to see what I can do in the next 30 days :) Seems like a supportive group here.

I am really stuck lately at 180.4 (yes .4!! :/ WTH) I am doing low cals and high cals and everything in between (vegan, juice fasting etc,... ugh!)... I am 5'4" and really had a crazy huge weight gain a year ago. I think it is Estrogen related. Started just taking Maca for Estrogen balance. And Milk thystle for Liver detox (drink too much far too much on the weekends :/ .. and since taking the milk thystle, am such a lightweight- perhaps it is working?) I had even some missed P cycles and lately, they seem to be coming back and are balancing out a bit. Im only 32, and already all these issues. I saw the Dr and did a general blood work and tested TSH and i think estrogen / PCOS and all was well. So... i guess i did this to myself :(

The guy i am seeing doesnt like skinny skinny chicks anyhow, but i just want to be able to fit into 99% of my wardrobe again! :( I was always around 130-145 after initially losing on Atkins in college. My lowest was in the 120's for my wedding on a crazy diet of cereal, lunch and sugar free candy for dinner (not so healthy lol). Fast forward 8 years... ups and downs and a recent divorce and discovering life as a single lady... and... here i am.

I think Stillmans makes sense. I only worry about not having enough Fat in my diet, so I might do Stillmans strictly at first, and every so often add in some fats.

Does anyone else find they don't feel well w/o the fats being as high on Atkins? or withouth the veggies?

ps- just want to add my 30 day goal in here: to find what works (ie: stick to Stillmans or maybe higher fat low carbs depending on what works) cut down on coffee if necessary, and lose 20 lbs !! (ill take 15, 20 would be GREAT).
xoxo

Need2Lose30pounds 12-04-2012 08:04 AM

hI

I'd also like to join you. I'm currently at my heaviset being 182 pounds, last year was 147 :-S Have a 11 month old baby so blaming on baby weight :-)

Day 1 for me will be tomorrow, and hope to lose at least 14 pounds by the 21st December. This is what I'll be eating:

Beef Steak
Beef Mince
Turkey Mince
Chickem breats
And eggs

Is 14 pounds doable in this time?

Any advice on tips, or easy recipes using above foods would be great

Thanks

Rebecca

SkinnyNikki 12-04-2012 11:28 AM

Hi Rebecca, I need to lose more then 30, but we are similar weights. How tall are you if you don't mind me asking? I wish I could say it is baby weight =/ but i dont have any kids. Just had one very big baby of an Ex. I like the simplicity of Stillmans. I am going to give it a good shot b/c the last time I did it I went down. I tend to ping pong for some reason and really need to stick to what works. Your menu sounds good, and I really have no idea if 14# is reasonable in under 20 days but I am here to support you =) I know I can use it as well.

I am going to try not smoking or drinking a lot on weekends either - i think that is wreaking havoc on my poor body. I feel too young for these kind of issues. I just dont understand how I gained so much so fast. Well - I was doing this "refeed" crap i read about on Matt Stones site, that is when i gained a lot. I freaked out after i saw 190# for the first time in my life! =( and did a juice fast. A whole month of juice! went down to 168, gained back up to 185. UGH. I need to make permanant fixes here, not just temporary nonsense.

I was in the 170's in high school, and low carb over time brought me down to the 130's. What I wouldn't give to be in the 150's even right now.

Anyhow - Today was a crazy day but since I'll be hitting the gym - I am aiming just to keep cals and carbs as low as possible, then tomorrow full blown Stillmans. If it doesn't work, I am going to switch to high fat ketosis, but giving this a shot first as i am impatient woman!

Q: Does anyone find here that coffee stalls losses? I am drinking green tea today but i really lovee my coffee =/

ps- Edited to say WOW! I just went back through a lot of posts by some people here who seem to be doing great. Where did some of them go i wonder? ie: SrfrGirl? Anyways- i am really motivated!!!! I am going to KISS and emphasize Fish since its seems to be leanest and quickest way to success. Tuna etc - so easy and dont have to think about it.

BrattyS 12-04-2012 01:27 PM

I jumped on the scale today. My loss for the week is 4 pounds. Not bad considering I have been doing higher fat to ease into the plan.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mim (Post 16116032)
Hi Bratty! Welcome back - we missed you!

This is weigh in day and for this week, I've lost .5 pounds. And yes, it is a loss but it is hard to take - But, I will carry on. I'm not tempted to go off plan because of the lack of scale movement. I feel too good to dive into carbs. So I'll continue walking and eating on plan and eventually I'll get out of the 220's!

Have a great Tuesday!

I hate when the scale does not reflect what I did for the week. Stay strong and try to remind yourself how great you feel. :hugs:

It is good to be back. I have missed it here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyNikki (Post 16116350)
Hi All, wondering if i can join in here? I have done Stillmans in the past and lost pretty easily. I really want to see what I can do in the next 30 days :) Seems like a supportive group here.

Welcome!
I do higher fat on days that I am struggling to stay on plan. Stillmans has never made me feel unhealthy. I usually feel great as long as I am on plan. I do take a lot of supplements to make up for what I do not eat.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need2Lose30pounds (Post 16116364)
hI

I'd also like to join you. I'm currently at my heaviset being 182 pounds, last year was 147 :-S Have a 11 month old baby so blaming on baby weight :-)

Day 1 for me will be tomorrow, and hope to lose at least 14 pounds by the 21st December. This is what I'll be eating:

Beef Steak
Beef Mince
Turkey Mince
Chicken breasts
And eggs

Is 14 pounds doable in this time?

Any advice on tips, or easy recipes using above foods would be great

Thanks

Rebecca

Welcome to you too!

14 pounds is definitely doable. You would have to keep it pretty strict and make sure to drink lots of water.

It will also depend on your body. I know some who eat so good on this diet and they lose, but not as easily as others.

My advice is keep it simple and as lean as possible. Try to eat before you are really hungry. I find that my hardest days are when i wait too long to eat.

Need2Lose30pounds 12-05-2012 02:17 AM

Hi Skinnynikki/Brattys

I'm around 5f 7 i think. I'm starting this diet today so far ive had a coffee with skimmed milk and 2 sweetners, is coffee ok? I cannot give this up :-( is there anything better to add rather than skimmed milk?

For breakfast I'm having scrammbled egg
For dinner I'm having breast of chicken
And for tea I'm going to make some beef burgers with lean meat

Also, can we drink protein shakes?

Shreem 12-05-2012 02:34 AM

:clap:bratty, your dog photo is so....cute! (i copied you with the holiday dog picture)

way to go on the weight loss.

Mim 12-05-2012 05:30 AM

Good morning! I took a mental health day yesterday and didn't go into the office. It felt good. Today however, I'll pay for it - I am going to hit the road running in a few minutes and won't stop until early evening. I'm going to try to get a walk in somewhere! Have a happy Thursday!

Mim 12-05-2012 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need2Lose30pounds (Post 16118081)
Hi Skinnynikki/Brattys

I'm around 5f 7 i think. I'm starting this diet today so far ive had a coffee with skimmed milk and 2 sweetners, is coffee ok? I cannot give this up :-( is there anything better to add rather than skimmed milk?

Your menu sounds fine, especially to begin with. You will have to see what fine points you may need to tweak. Some think coffee stalls them and some don't. I personally believe that coffee = life! :hyst: But I've always had mine black. You will do great!

Need2Lose30pounds 12-05-2012 06:22 AM

Thanks Min

How about gammon with fat cut off b4 cooking?

x

BrattyS 12-05-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Need2Lose30pounds (Post 16118081)
Hi Skinnynikki/Brattys

Your meal plan looks great. I do not know about protein shakes but you should be OK with coffee. It takes time to figure out what your body will and wont let you have.
My husband drinks coffee with a tiny bit of 1/2 and 1/2 and Ezsweet to sweeten it. The creamer has a couple carbs but he refuses to not have his coffee.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shreem (Post 16118084)
:clap:bratty, your dog photo is so....cute! (i copied you with the holiday dog picture)

way to go on the weight loss.

Thanks! I love my fur babies. So much so that this the the picture I made to send to the grandparents.

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/...2TimelinFB.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mim (Post 16118199)
Good morning! I took a mental health day yesterday and didn't go into the office. It felt good. Today however, I'll pay for it - I am going to hit the road running in a few minutes and won't stop until early evening. I'm going to try to get a walk in somewhere! Have a happy Thursday!

Taking a day off it necessary at times. I hope it helped!

SkinnyNikki 12-05-2012 02:11 PM

Hi lovelies just glad to say that i went to the gym and even tho only did 1/2 a day b/c i started halfway through my day yesterday (even had pizza for breakfast gahhhh) i finally broke my stall of 180.4 and am back down in the 179's :) Today is great - no detox symptoms.. drinking tons of green tea, some coffee (reg & decaf) a few T of half n half just b/c its all i have in my work fridge and i forgot to even eat lunch today! I am actually worried I am not eating enough once i put my cals/data into a tracker =/ Still taking my maca root, and i feel pretty AWESOME =) really in a great mood and just feel amazing! plus, my complexion has a nice glow and im feeling leaner already. Going to the gym again today..

Here is my menu:

B: 4 egg whites, 1 yolk scrambled in a mug in the microwave w/ a tiny bit of parmesan and 1 slice of overcooked bacon (just getting rid of what is in the fridge)
L: skipped - meetings. coffee and half/half
Pre-workout snack: 2 McD's chicken breasts
Post-workout snack: 1 can tuna maybe a little light mayo/hotsauce

My cals are still under 800 =/ not sure if that is bad since im working out.

But i feel good and am stying well hydrated and taking my supplements :heart:

Hope everyone else is doing well. Now i just have to stop smoking! and plan my friday special dinner w/ my man... hes taking me to a fancy dinner and i already checked the menu.. lots of great options for a "atkins" meal. Fri i will have some wine likely (red) but for the next few weeks im avoiding alcohol as much as possible to lose the max in 30 days possible!!

Sorry i can't say hello individually at the moment - work calls. :)

CCGirl 12-05-2012 04:03 PM

hey y'all! Welcome newbies! Yay, losses all around !

{{{{{{{{{{Bratty}}}}}}}}}

Mim mmmmmmm deer..........hunting season just ended up here. I don't have anyone who hunts to get some, I've never had it.

Off to look in the freezer, I have nothing ready to cook 'cept eggs.........:doh:

Shreem 12-05-2012 04:08 PM

ow wow!! i love all those babies. fur and non fur.

i love mine, too!!

CCGirl 12-05-2012 04:08 PM

The main difference between gammon and ham is that gammon will be sold raw and needs to be cooked; ham is sold cooked or dry-cured and ready for eating.

Need2, I always soak my hams overnight or two days if possible to get the salt out.

CCGirl 12-05-2012 04:09 PM

those doggie pics are tooooooo cute !