Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 AM   #181
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreem View Post
thanks, CC! I am a now a believer in the protein--especially after trial and error!!! After starting a new stressful job in Sept.---there was just no way I could maintain a sense of health eating vegan. I'm feeling so much better just loading up on the animal food proteins.

I feel for your mother's grief!! Thinking good thoughts that she will soon feel better. She could not have a better person than you to care for her.

I experienced grief after the passing of one of my puppies that lived until age 16. For a whole month I had no appetite and it was not something I tried to do--that is the only time in my life that it happened and I did lose weight involuntarily. I started eating quite a bit of full fat cheese and almond butter, which brought my appetite back and my weight normalized after about two months. Salmon & Walnuts are very good, as the fats in these two foods are good for depression. Dark Chocolate might be something that helps. (lower in carbs and sugar, but some healthful things in there that might spark an appetite.)
O Shreem, I cannot tell you the nights spent crying in front of the slideshow on my pc of children that have passed..........the graveyard outside the kitchen window is full of about two dozen strays that came to us for love and lived here, the only saving grace is that they had a much better life with us than living in the wild.......cats, oxen, goats, they were all our children and they were so loved.

So glad you ditched the vegan thing; man oh man if you ever want to see you teeth go to hell and cost yourself a fortune in dental work then by all means go vegan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud5t View Post
Good morning all!

Hi Shreem! I'm the newbie 'round here, nice to "meet" you. I've never tried anything resembling a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, but good for you finding out what works for you and most importantly what makes you feel good.

Srfrgrl, I'm so sorry you had a rough day yesterday. Today is a new day!!!

CC, sounds like you've got your mom on the right track. Going through everything must be so difficult, but will likely help her gain closure.

Well, I weighed this morning at exactly 2 lbs down from where I started two days ago! I was worried about headaches in the first few days because I get terrible migraines, but haven't had one yet. Overall, I'm feeling really good!!! Today is a bit of cleaning and laundry, a few more groceries and maybe some Stillman-legal cooking experiments while relaxing the rest of the weekend.

I might even bust out my Pilates DVDs. I've done no exercise at all since my surgeries. I've been racking my brain and think I can do those even with my gimpy leg. I know even a little bit of exercise will help with the little emotional lows that are still a side effect of the radiation. I actually do really well losing weight without exercise if I'm eating right, but there are so many benefits, I've gotta get my buns in gear!!!

Have a fantastic day everyone!!!!
Rbud, I hope you are recovering from the surgeries well, so invasive, yet we all have to 'get used' to that sort of thing as we age........yuck, it doesn't mean we have to like it. Better a 'bad' leg than none at all........my DH has a bad hip that needs a replacement which he will never have done, and in this current mindset I can only say choose life. You're alive, please appreciate it, it is so precious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
I'm still here- reading but not posting until I return home on the 3rd. No Internet here and posting from my phone is too awkward!
LOL Mim no internet, are you in Amish country? Have fun and enjoy the family, you would not beleive the snow we've had over the past week. Check your tire pressure and pack a cooler for the return trip, on top of the sixteen inches we had Thursday we had eight inches yesterday.
Quote:
My last experiment was trying to make something resembling pudding or mousse a little bit closer. I failed and think I'll just have to wait for maintenance when I can have some other LC dairy. The closest I came is a chocolate "custard".... The taste isn't too bad, so I can't tell if it's the texture that's throwing me off. Without milk or cream, it's just not creamy. Anyway, this was what I came up with...

1/2 c low fat cottage cheese puréed with 1/2 c water until smooth.
Beat in 3 eggs
1/4 c baking Splenda
Splash of vanilla and almond extracts
1/2 tsp bitter baking cocoa (could do without this)
1 tsp psyllium husk powder
Bake in 4 ramekins in water bath at 350 until knife comes out clean, approx 35 min.
LOL Rosebud it looks like we have our Dr. Frankenstein in the kitchen here...keep us posted !
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
hi all, just popping in briefly. Had a very busy holiday, then 3 long driving days from Nebraska to Florida...dodging storms the whole way...very very glad to get to Florida and no more freezing air. It was getting really uncomfortable in Nebraska...breathing that cold air is just not good on the damaged lungs.

Ate off-plan for 3 days with Christmas (on purpose, planned to indulge and knew there would be consequences. Enjoyed the holiday party foods & beverages...know there will be some temporary weight gain, but totally OK with it.)

On the road, I packed my cooler, and ate very low-carb Atkins style, sticking with mostly low fat, too (had some salads with dressing...that had fat in it of course. But chicken, chicken, and more chicken.) Will get on the scale tomorrow to see what the damage of Christmas eating was...hope it's not too bad since I've had 3 good "recovery" days since.

Will read through the posts tomorrow and get caught up with everyone! Have a great Sunday all.

Cathy from Nebraska...now in Florida for the rest of the winter.
Cat, happy holidays and stay steady.
Where are you in FL ?
Mom is thinking that Coral Gables will not be a sustainable retirement location and we're going to be moving in a year or so.
It may be closer to four years as we wait for the economic recovery that supposedly is happening yet we still have little evidence of.
She has property so that may be a factor, sell low now or wait for the turnaround and sell higher later.
Looked briefly in the north of Gainesville south of Tallahasse area, we want to be somewhat country yet less than an hour to Macy's.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoops View Post
Thank you for the input, SrfrGirl. I read my book this evening, and sure enough skim cheese in moderation is in there as long as it is not part skim. I dislike cottage cheese so much, and I think farmer's cheese is a lot like cottage cheese. I've never seen it in the grocery store.

Rosebud~ You seem to enjoy making new foods. I bet you'll come up with many other tasty things.

I didn't make it to the store today. My vacuum stopped working suddenly this afternoon, so I ran out to buy another before I got together with a friend. I have fod here, so I will be good to go in the morning.

I was reading my book and Stillman says we should lose 5%-10% of our body weight every week, or about 10 pounds the first week and an average of 5 pounds per week until goal by following QWL. What have you all experienced with your actual weight loss?
Hoop, farmer cheese I think is more like a feta......dunno

5-7 lbs. first week then 3.5 thereafter for most.......but, remeber, I am the Charlie Sheen of dieters, vodka tonics at eight (PM)

Last edited by CCGirl; 12-30-2012 at 06:56 AM..
CCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #182
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

!cid_802A8B69CFED4BFE8BB7554D69B97F05@laptop.jpg
Old 12-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #183
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud5t
Stats: 188.6/161.2/140
Start Date: November 2014
Good morning all! Woke up today to another 1.4 gone, that's 3.4 in 3 days. My bad leg and foot are relatively normal sized, which means I'm losing fluids, which I'm so glad for! CC, you're so right about appreciating life. I don't take even a moment for granted.

I was thinking about the cottage cheese, and I can't help but wonder if there aren't some things that could replace it that maybe just weren't around when Stillman wrote the book in the 60's. For example, Dannon and Blue Bunny both have a LC yogurt that, compared to lowfat cottage cheese has lower cals, same fat and fewer carbs. The only difference is it has less protein, but eating meat and eggs all day I can't believe missing those few grams of protein would make a big difference. I'm not going to modify right now, just thinking.

Anyway, today should be good and restful, catching up on shows on my DVR.

Last edited by Rosebud5t; 12-30-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Rosebud5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #184
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rosebud, if you haven't gotten any greek yogurt it is a must do !!!!!!!

watching the whining 'girls' on Gold Rush. Another reality show better watched muted with closed caption on. Such sissies. They make Jersey Shore look good. I wish they would make a woman gold rush show, but that would be too boring since they would make good decisions, get the job done more efficiently, and put the boys to shame. It would never fly on TV.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:37 PM   #185
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

cool signatures from a forum for machinists............

Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.
__________________________________________________ ________________________

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
__________________________________________________ _______________________

I used to think that the brain was the most wonderful organ in my body. Then I realized who was telling me this.

LMAO
Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #186
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hoops
Stats: 5'9"
I loved watching Jersey Shore this summer. My DS17 was watching it on Netflix, so I told him to go back to season 1. I think I watched the whole season in one night. Pathetic but entertaining for a night.

My favorite Stillman's book is The Doctor's Quick Inches-Off Diet, because he probably goes through 30 different diets one can follow and explains how to make up our own diet. Wait, I take that back, I didn't see the Charlie Sheen diet in there.
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #187
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
rosebud, on the cottage cheese & pot cheese, farmers cheese thing. someone here explained the kinds of cheeses dr stillman chose and his reasoning. i will try to find the explanation for you and post it. It was several months ago.

I also love the variety of the QWL book, but I have learned that it's the all protein, low fat way of eating that makes me feel the strongest and look my best.
Shreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:02 PM   #188
Senior LCF Member

below is not the specific post i was thinking of, but it is similar:

The Stillman Quick Weight Loss diet is not a low carb diet per se, it's a low CALORIE diet that consists of lean protein, a few seasonings and zero-calorie beverages and that's about it. The original plan allowed ketchup, cocktail sauce, mustard, lemon and lime juice (in reasonable amounts, of course ), absolutely no fats or oils to be used, meats trimmed of every speck of fat, skin off poultry, leanest types of fish only. It was specified that the cottage, farmers or pot cheese was to be made from skim milk, not whole. Actually, any skim milk cheese was allowed, but I assume he meant natural cheese, not imitation fat-free cheese.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #189
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree with you Shreem- the fastest way to lose for me before was eating that way, too.

I posted many of the repetition diets years ago. They range from 180-420 calories. Some people follow these for 2 weeks, however they are very restrictive. As for now, it is QWL for me.

I tried to talk myself out of starting today. I weighed in, couldn't finid a tape measure, and my head was giving me all the excuses of why tomorrow would be better. Well, I almost gave in, but instead I hunted down the tape measure and recorded my measurements. I am so glad I started today, because I can find excuses everyday as to why I should postpone it.
Week 4 SMD=
Laura~ 43 yo
Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #190
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
CC, we're on the Gulf coast, in the Tampa metro area. Technically we're in a small town north of Clearwater...though in this area all the little towns just run one into the next (you can tell you're in a new town because the street names changes, lol.) Close to mall, close to good grocery stores/drug stores, fun shopping, etc. And only 10 minutes to beaches. Real estate is still very very slow around here...and prices are down quite a bit; still not the best time to be trying to sell, at least over here.

Back on the diet front...I checked my weight this AM...up 2.8 lbs. from my low weight before Christmas break. Not terrible, considering how much water I retain when I carb up. It could have been much worse...one trip to Disney I know I gained 20 lbs in 5 days! I'm thinking this bit will come off over the next few days and I can start 2013 on the Losing road.

I second the Greek yogurt...my doc told me I really needed some dairy (for the calcium) and Greek yogurt is a good way for me to get it (tend to over-eat cheese so that's not a good option for me) I don't actually like Greek yogurt plain, so I add Da Vinci sugar free syrup in my favorite flavors

I'll be back to posting more often now that the holidays are over, and I'm parked in Florida for the winter.

Have a safe & fun New Year's Eve everyone...

Cathy from Nebraska/ Florida

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5

Last edited by catne; 12-30-2012 at 05:07 PM..
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #191
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the great info! I swear I need a life since much of my weekend was spent "researching" Stillman's. LOL. I think I've decided to quit trying to get the cheese thing down, though Catne said what i was thinking... greek yogurt might be a good option for me, too, since I don't really care for it. I know I need one treat each day to look forward to, so I'll get some of the little 10 calorie sugar-free Jell-O cups. Funny how we negotiate with ourselves, isn't it?

Today was good:
B - 1/2 c Stillman's "oatmeal" and one egg
S - 3 oz chicken
L - 1 c egg drop soup (only bullion and egg)
S - 3 oz chicken
D - 4 oz "meatloaf" burger
S - 1/3 c gross egg mousse

I eat out of boredom, so I'm a little bit glad to get back to work tomorrow where there's not really time for that. I passed on NYE plans this year, so that won't create any challenges. The former me was all over the Charlie Sheen diet... My version was wine and whiskey sours. One great side effect of my treatments is that I haven't wanted to drink, but vacation will be the true test!

Hoops ~ good for you getting started today!

Anyone have big plans for NYE???
Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #192
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Rosebud- It seems you like sweet, creamy foods. Have you experimented to make anything yummy that is salty, crunchy, or spicy? Those are my favs. If so, please share.

I do remember making some beef jerky out of the 4% fat ground beef in my dehydrator. I just added seasoning and salt if I remember correctly. Oh gee, now I remember. I bought the dehydrator while I was out of town on vacation, hit the grocery store, and made jerkey in my hotel room just to stay on my Stillman's plan while out of town years ago. Now, I am wondering how sanitary that was?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #193
Senior LCF Member

Hoops~ I actually was just thinking I wish I could have pickles, that usually satisfies my salty and crunchy cravings. I don't do much spicy, I have a wussy tongue.

My favorite salty, crunchy LC snack is Parmesan chips. I take one Tbl of shredded parm and just fry it in a nonstick pan until it just turns brown. After it cools, it hardens up into a chip. Each one is 21 cal/1.4 fat/0.2 carb/1.9 protein.

I love jerky, definitely might make some of that. Too funny about doing it in a hotel room! LOL
Old 12-30-2012, 06:57 PM   #194
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I loved watching Jersey Shore this summer. My DS17 was watching it on Netflix, so I told him to go back to season 1. I think I watched the whole season in one night. Pathetic but entertaining for a night.

My favorite Stillman's book is The Doctor's Quick Inches-Off Diet, because he probably goes through 30 different diets one can follow and explains how to make up our own diet. Wait, I take that back, I didn't see the Charlie Sheen diet in there.
hahaha I gues I am the innovator !
b nothing, not hungry (??????)
l turkey breast fresh out of the oven mmmmmmmm
d olive loaf and american cheese in a romaine leaf smothered in mayo
s third v tonic now and more coming shortly, DH is on the phone with son so now watching Storage Wars closed captioned LOL
Quote:
CC, we're on the Gulf coast, in the Tampa metro area. Technically we're in a small town north of Clearwater...though in this area all the little towns just run one into the next (you can tell you're in a new town because the street names changes, lol.) Close to mall, close to good grocery stores/drug stores, fun shopping, etc. And only 10 minutes to beaches. Real estate is still very very slow around here...and prices are down quite a bit; still not the best time to be trying to sell, at least over here.

Back on the diet front...I checked my weight this AM...up 2.8 lbs. from my low weight before Christmas break. Not terrible, considering how much water I retain when I carb up. It could have been much worse...one trip to Disney I know I gained 20 lbs in 5 days! I'm thinking this bit will come off over the next few days and I can start 2013 on the Losing road.

I second the Greek yogurt...my doc told me I really needed some dairy (for the calcium) and Greek yogurt is a good way for me to get it (tend to over-eat cheese so that's not a good option for me) I don't actually like Greek yogurt plain, so I add Da Vinci sugar free syrup in my favorite flavors

I'll be back to posting more often now that the holidays are over, and I'm parked in Florida for the winter.

Have a safe & fun New Year's Eve everyone...

Cathy from Nebraska/ Florida
thanks, Cat, leaning towards the Lake City area (no hurricanes, near a college, less than an hour from Macy's, although if they don't carry the Ralph Lauren line my scheme will tank, believe it or not some of the stores do not carry it) looking at horse farm/gentleman farmer type estates. DH needs isolation/acreage. Mom likes playing redneck up here, playing in the yard and landscaping type stuff. Water is not an issue, I'm the only beach bum. We have a backhoe so I will add a pool if necessary.
Quote:
Thanks for all the great info! I swear I need a life since much of my weekend was spent "researching" Stillman's. LOL. I think I've decided to quit trying to get the cheese thing down, though Catne said what i was thinking... greek yogurt might be a good option for me, too, since I don't really care for it. I know I need one treat each day to look forward to, so I'll get some of the little 10 calorie sugar-free Jell-O cups. Funny how we negotiate with ourselves, isn't it?

Today was good:
B - 1/2 c Stillman's "oatmeal" and one egg
S - 3 oz chicken
L - 1 c egg drop soup (only bullion and egg)
S - 3 oz chicken
D - 4 oz "meatloaf" burger
S - 1/3 c gross egg mousse

I eat out of boredom, so I'm a little bit glad to get back to work tomorrow where there's not really time for that. I passed on NYE plans this year, so that won't create any challenges. The former me was all over the Charlie Sheen diet... My version was wine and whiskey sours. One great side effect of my treatments is that I haven't wanted to drink, but vacation will be the true test!

Hoops ~ good for you getting started today!

Anyone have big plans for NYE???
one of our biggest losers did it with SF Jell-o.......amyone remember Gwyn Stefani?
O wow chemo makes you straight? where do I sign......just kidding, not making light of your condition at all here.

Quote:
Hoops~ I actually was just thinking I wish I could have pickles, that usually satisfies my salty and crunchy cravings. I don't do much spicy, I have a wussy tongue.

My favorite salty, crunchy LC snack is Parmesan chips. I take one Tbl of shredded parm and just fry it in a nonstick pan until it just turns brown. After it cools, it hardens up into a chip. Each one is 21 cal/1.4 fat/0.2 carb/1.9 protein.

I love jerky, definitely might make some of that. Too funny about doing it in a hotel room! LOL
mmmmm pickles..........

and no NYE plans here, haven't seen the ball drop in years. The champagne I bought two years ago for it still sits in the fridge. Maybe this year........
Old 12-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #195
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SrfrGirl
Stats: Goal: 125 lbs.
WOE: Stillman's & Zero Carb
Start Date: 5/20/12 restart 12/23/12
Hello everyone-as a native Floridian, I understand finding the best place to live. I was born in a place called Tampa, loved it and lived very happily with rose gardens and family grilling parties but love Clearwater Beach.

We Can't have pickles? Please let me know so I can trash them!

I went on an outing here in California today! I had fab seared halibut- hold the trimmings! but ruined it with a glass of Pinot Nior. I feel really bad for backsliding! I was trying so hard! My BF got steak frites so I sneaked a few garlic herb fries. What was I thinking? I wanted to shop for clothes, boots, and makeup afterward but it was rainy and wet here and I can't handle that. Yech. Went home.

My cousin plays for the Detroit Lions, so the boyfriend recorded the game.Watching the recording now... cuz just fumbled-uH-oh! So the BF is calling me to come and watch and get me to cheer or whatever. It's pre-recorded, What can I do. I have no power over what happens.

So,
B-nothing
L-Halibut, seared, no sauce, 1 red wine and 3 unsweet tea to drink, swiped some fries from bf
D-One slice leftover turkey, 1/2 cup cottage cheese
Water

When I got home, the weather cleared somewhat-I went to the store and bought herbs, halibut, orange roughy, flounder, scallops, shrimp so that I will not eat out.
I cancelled my my usual New Years at the Wynn hotel because it would be a pig fest. All the restaurants (buffet of all of them, in one place) would have one big pig out that costed $500 per person. I changed my reservations to mid month and got a free show Cirque De Soliel for 2, room comp for 1 day instead. I will splurge with a parmigiana veal chop there for sure. That's the BF's fav dinner there at Wynn and so I share in his happiness.

I will be eating fish, shrimp and ground turkey now. For the next 5 days.

Looks like I'm in Cali for the holiday. I'm quite fine with that. Secret: I'm social, but a homebody. I like my little Sheltie, my Spanish style beachfront, french lavender gardens and lemon trees. English roses and pink, yellow and white frangipani. Happier at home than a Hollywood premere. I'm comfy here and can cook my own food. With all the food and free drinks in Vegas I don't need that for New Years. If anyone's ever been to the Wynn resort there this time of year, there's too many people and too much food,drink now anyway!

Uh-oh, gotta go to watch the Lions game, pre-recorded. Love you guys. Happy New year if I don't post then. I will be cooking at home. No un-Stillman's food here. I threw out the last non Stillman food just an hour ago. It was some frozen pita bread & fresh lettuce and cress in the crisper. I have been on a cleaning rampage. My housekeepers were off this week (Planned Holiday for them) so I felt inspired, even important, like it was Spring cleaning or something. I even cleaned my kitchen junk drawer & make-up drawers. You know, all that make up stuff that you buy and don't want and throw into a drawer. Bought a new fluffier down comforter. Having the old one cleaned and donated. Cleaned out the cabinets of fava beans and those Wolfgang soups, bottles of wine, and some chutney's for the food bank. They pick them up Tues. I'm on a roll. Also- No Spirits, wine, junk. Last of the lemon Crystal lite, only 2 left. Not buying anymore. Bought more tea for iced tea.

Going back on plan!!!!

Happy New Year.

Last edited by SrfrGirl; 12-30-2012 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: WAS rainy
SrfrGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 PM   #196
Senior LCF Member

Drinking lemon crystal lite right now and feeling somehow enlightened.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 AM   #197
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SrfrGirl- Your place in Florida sounds perfect for you. I live in Vegas. We don't go anywhere near the strip during holidays, especially New Year's Eve. The thing I always shake my head and giggle about is that otherwise sane and conservative people go nuts and pack their craziest outfit to wear where? In Vegas! They'd never wear that same thing back home!

I stayed on plan today. I had 2 grilled chicken breast and some turkey bacon. I am having shrimp and probably chicken tomorrow. Maybe I will even exercise. I was pretty lazy today. I was so glad to have a day at home without having to go or do anything.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #198
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SK, it sounds like you lead the charmed life of a princess ! Your recipes look incredible BTW. I miss Picadillo.
One glass of PN is no big deal. Good times with loved ones are.

Hoops, it must be wild living so close to the strip. Don't most real people live in Henderson?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #199
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Morning all! Happy new year!

Cc - I'm not in Amish country - I'm in Chicago. : ). My dd and family just moved house - they were in a temporary apartmend and closed on the house the 26th. So, we loaded the uhaul and are camping out in the new house. Air mattresses abound. Their furniture will arrive in two weeks. And the Internet will get turned on in a few days. But I'm leaving here on the 3rd to head back home. Me and what feels like a billion extra pounds! But I've had fun and I know how to take those billion pounds off! I'm looking forward to being on plan.
Again I say - happy new year!
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 AM   #200
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
CC, Lake City looks like a great area for your family's needs...we've driven through there (even stayed overnight there once on a road trip.) Nice area. And really, as you know, it's just about impossible to get more than 30-45 minutes from some major water in Florida...if not the Gulf or the Atlantic, there's so many big lakes & rivers...close fixes for those of us who feel the siren call of water! But there's plenty of rural area around there for sure. And Lake City is a good location to avoid the worst of the coastal storms. Best wishes on the property hunt! Is the picture you posted above your current house? Looks picture-postcard pretty in the snow.

Srfrgirl...we've been eating mostly Stillman's foods since March...hubby has kosher dill pickles without any issues (he's nearing goal.) I suspect that pickles are low enough calories and carbs that in the overall scheme they might not affect the loss process too much. I would say try a few days without them, to establish a losing pattern...then add back in to see if they slow you down at all. Sometimes, even if it slows losses down a little, it's better to go a little slower and stay on plan, know what I mean? Stillmans can be sooooo boring, sometimes a little thing like having the taste/crunch of a few dill pickles can do wonders for helping us stay on plan for the long run

Rosebud, if you're eating sugar free jello, another way to flavor the greek yogurt is stir in a little jello powder (start with a little, mix it up, and then continue adding little sprinkle until you get the taste you want.) I've done that when I wanted a more flavorful pudding like dessert.

Mim, enjoy your time "camping"...we've been there, done that. I'm sure you'll get right back to planned eating when you're back home. Got to enjoy time with your family, though.

Hoops, cannot imagine just how crazy crowds in Vegas for NYE...we were there in the summer a couple of years, and even though it was killer hot it was crowded. Not a holiday or party week, even, and the Strip was still too crowded for me. And I know just what you mean about the way people dress...have a young cousin who "dresses up" for VEgas trips several times a year. Way too much make-up, super short skirt, excess cleavage...Looks like a hooker, lol. She never dresses that way around home, but apparently she & her friends do have the idea that is the way you're Supposed To Dress in Vegas.

On the diet front: Weighed this AM, happy to be down another .8 on the lose-the-holiday-bloat. So now just 2 lbs. more to get back to pre-holiday weight. Will go out to dinner for NYE, but will stick to Atkins-legal meal , probably fish & salad. No wine tonight for me...keeping it clean so I can start 2013 in losing mode.

Hope you all have a Fabulous New Year's Eve...stay safe & have fun!

Cathy from Nebraska/Florida

Last edited by catne; 12-31-2012 at 08:22 AM..
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #201
Senior LCF Member

Catne! yay! on the weight loss. And I have been to Vegas when it's 100 degrees plus-know what you mean. I just stay inside.
The pickle advice is spot on! Gotta have some crunch.
I love your jello yogurt advice. What do you think about fat free cream cheese and fat free sugar free jam? Would that be allowable for Stillman's? Let me know.

Hoops: I live in Southern California now, used to live in Tampa, Florida-sorry I didn't make it clear. Wow you live in "VEGAS BABY" as we call it here my house. Love Vegas. Yeah, peeps will wear anything there. So exciting to meet people as they really are.

Mim, have a great time and see you on the new Stillman's thread next year.

CC: you! Yep-love my life. And- Picadillo-brings back amazing memories. Have a great new year! Oh, the BF is telling me he wants chicken wings, fancy schmancy beer & organic pizza for new years. He swears he will do strict Stillmans after today.

Halp!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #202
Senior LCF Member

Update:

I was able to gain control of the boyfriend's evil plan of "pizza-beer New Year" and made him believe he really wanted a simple low carb beef brisket. I used his childhood food memories to my advantage.

He said "real beef brisket not a salty corned beef brisket, right?"

Of Course.

*evil laugh*

Problem solved.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #203
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

CCGirl- No, most people live in Las Vegas or county. I really like Mount Charleston, which is 30 minutes from me. It is only 70-75 degrees in the summer, lots of tall trees, snow skiing in the winter, and lots of fantastic hiking and rock climbing. The only difference living in Vegas is that grocery stores and conveniences are open 24 hours, along with no "last call" at bars. They are all open 24-7. We rarely go to the touristy spots.

Cathy- I am cracking up about your cousin thinking she has to pack "Vegas" clothes for her visit here. I go to Fremont Street about once or twice a year with a few friends, and our jaws drop at what people wear. True, anything goes on the strip! I guess people like to let loose and live it up a few nights. No harm in that. The problem for me is that I live here and could run into students of mine or other people I know. I am fairly conservative. My students call me preppy. Great weight loss, too!

Happy to report I dropped the first day dieting 4 pounds! It will keep me on plan today. The first day loss is always huge!
Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #204
Senior LCF Member

Hoops!
oh yeah! So happy for you! 4 lbs gone! You did this with chicken and turkey bacon mainly, right? Do tell...I must know your magical secrets!

as for me, up a half lb. but my french fry stealing, PN drinking ways caused it and was expected.

Rosebud: Happy new years! I must make your parm chips! I have to get parm cheese, then I'm attempting it. I'm a little scared I'm going to burn them!
This could be the answer to my constant yearn for "crunch".

Last edited by SrfrGirl; 12-31-2012 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: parm chips
Old 12-31-2012, 02:25 PM   #205
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SrfrGirl- Good job convincing the BF! :wink: How long have you two been seeing one another? I just looked and saw that you live in Laguna Beach. I was just in Laguna Beach in July. My dad always dragged us to the sawdust festival every summer growing up. Alternatively, I went to the shops down by the water this trip, since I was vacationing with a friend. My friends took me sailing on my birthday at the Dana Point Yacht Club. Loved it! What brought you to Laguna? The weather is always gorgeous!

The secret.... gain 35 pounds in 10 months! Seriously, I had to hunt down a pair of size 14 jeans! Also, it was just my first day dieting, so I lost a lot of water and carb stores. I had 1 cup of black coffee for breakfast, chicken breast and 1/2 glass of diet cherry pepsi for lunch, turkey bacon as a snack, chicken breast and 1/2 glass of diet cherry pepsi for dinner, more turkey bacon as a snack, and a cup of decaf black coffee around midnight. I also had some water in there.

Rosebud-Those parm cheese crackers do sound delicious, although I love cheese and salt and know I'd eat way too many.

Question- How many meals do you all eat? I ate 4 times yesterday. The book says to spread it out in 6 mini meals. Maybe none of it matters. I am just curious.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #206
Senior LCF Member

Hoops:
Love your secret! I'm saving your meals to my desktop.
I have been with him for 8 years. Love Love Love him. I went to California to meet his brother & friends and we stopped on the way in a cute little seaside artsy town and I was hooked! I told him I wanted to move and we spent a week and found the right place.

And I love the SawDust Fest! My home is decorated with artglass from the artists there! And the shops seaside are my favs.

I try to eat the 6x a day thing, but sometimes end up doing less. I can resolve to do that for new years!

Last edited by SrfrGirl; 12-31-2012 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM   #207
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you can convince a man to relocate across the country in under a week, then it is no wonder you got him to swap dinners tonight. You live in such a beautiful area.

I ate more shrimp. So far, I've had 231 grams of boiled shrimp. I know we don't have to weigh things, but I do it more in the beginning to see what I am eating and if I have the time and patience.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #208
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
If you can convince a man to relocate across the country in under a week, then it is no wonder you got him to swap dinners tonight. You live in such a beautiful area.

I ate more shrimp. So far, I've had 231 grams of boiled shrimp. I know we don't have to weigh things, but I do it more in the beginning to see what I am eating and if I have the time and patience.
Oh yeah!

Unfortunately the brisket takes forever to slow cook! Smells so amazing I can't wait. The house smells great when a brisket slow cooks! I put garlic in it. Should be good!
I'm jealous about your delish shrimpys! I have 2 paks raw shrimp I will be eating this week. Looking forward to them. I haven't had shrimp for so long.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #209
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
Morning all! Happy new year!

Cc - I'm not in Amish country - I'm in Chicago. : ). My dd and family just moved house - they were in a temporary apartmend and closed on the house the 26th. So, we loaded the uhaul and are camping out in the new house. Air mattresses abound. Their furniture will arrive in two weeks. And the Internet will get turned on in a few days. But I'm leaving here on the 3rd to head back home. Me and what feels like a billion extra pounds! But I've had fun and I know how to take those billion pounds off! I'm looking forward to being on plan.
Again I say - happy new year!
O wow, don't mind blonde airhead me! Glad you're having fun roughing it!
Quote:
CC, Lake City looks like a great area for your family's needs...we've driven through there (even stayed overnight there once on a road trip.) Nice area. And really, as you know, it's just about impossible to get more than 30-45 minutes from some major water in Florida...if not the Gulf or the Atlantic, there's so many big lakes & rivers...close fixes for those of us who feel the siren call of water! But there's plenty of rural area around there for sure. And Lake City is a good location to avoid the worst of the coastal storms. Best wishes on the property hunt! Is the picture you posted above your current house? Looks picture-postcard pretty in the snow.
Hope you all have a Fabulous New Year's Eve...stay safe & have fun!

Cathy from Nebraska/Florida
yep, that's our cottage here in the mountains, taken last year. Thanks for the info, it seems like a good choice for no hurricanes and no sate income tax.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrfrGirl View Post
Catne! yay! on the weight loss. And I have been to Vegas when it's 100 degrees plus-know what you mean. I just stay inside.
The pickle advice is spot on! Gotta have some crunch.
I love your jello yogurt advice. What do you think about fat free cream cheese and fat free sugar free jam? Would that be allowable for Stillman's? Let me know.

Hoops: I live in Southern California now, used to live in Tampa, Florida-sorry I didn't make it clear. Wow you live in "VEGAS BABY" as we call it here my house. Love Vegas. Yeah, peeps will wear anything there. So exciting to meet people as they really are.

Mim, have a great time and see you on the new Stillman's thread next year.

CC: you! Yep-love my life. And- Picadillo-brings back amazing memories. Have a great new year! Oh, the BF is telling me he wants chicken wings, fancy schmancy beer & organic pizza for new years. He swears he will do strict Stillmans after today.

Halp!
nice work maneuvering the menu swap!
Quote:
CCGirl- No, most people live in Las Vegas or county. I really like Mount Charleston, which is 30 minutes from me. It is only 70-75 degrees in the summer, lots of tall trees, snow skiing in the winter, and lots of fantastic hiking and rock climbing. The only difference living in Vegas is that grocery stores and conveniences are open 24 hours, along with no "last call" at bars. They are all open 24-7. We rarely go to the touristy spots.

Happy to report I dropped the first day dieting 4 pounds! It will keep me on plan today. The first day loss is always huge!
LOL crazy land! nice work on the losses! So there IS life outside of the city, who knew?

Happy NYE everyone!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 PM   #210
Senior LCF Member

Happy New Year everyone!!!