Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
Rose, we had one loser waaaaay back who worked miracles with SF Jello.....OMG cancer and leg bartering for existance, go you!!!!!!!!!!

a few of us do the deli meats for convenience but be wary of hidden sugars, we try to stay close to real home cooked food whenever possible.

Be prepared for not getting into those eights in five weeks, and don't kill yourself if you don't. Reality losses are 2.5-3.5 pounds per week.

JMHO, eat turkey breast and tuna and who knows, you could be a two soon.

CCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosebud5t
Stats: 188.6/174.8/140
WOE: LC/JUDDD
Start Date: October 2013
So sorry about your dad, the first holidays after a loss like that are bittersweet.

I'll check those lunchmeat sugars (thanks for the advice!) and do some shopping Friday to get some real meat and skim cheese. I admit I hate to cook and I travel a lot for work, but the hotel I got for the month of January has a full kitchen, so that should help.

Nope, I'm not expecting to get into the 8s. I'd love 10s but would be reasonably happy with a 12. I know I'm retaining a lot of water, which is a side effect of the radiation, but if I could dump some of that it would be a huge difference. I've been calling my foot "memory foam foot" because I can press it and the dent stays. LOL
Rosebud5t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #153
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SrfrGirl
Stats: Goal: 125 lbs.
WOE: Stillman's & Zero Carb
Start Date: 5/20/12 restart 12/23/12
CC & Rosebud, I'm sending you Love!

Today I woke up to a pound weight loss!!!!

I have turkey salad, eggs, tuna and 1 more cottage cheese in the fridge.
Must go shop.
SrfrGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #154
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mork
Hello. I am back. After a few years of being away! I need to lost 20 lbs in 30 days. I think it can be done right?!?!
I was trying to find my old posts and I am sure I lost about 1 pound a day!!
I plan to check in each day.
mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #155
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

thanks Rosebud, I thought it was just me....not very holiday this year.

Srfr, go you!!!!!!!!!!!

Mork! wow one pound a day, holy cow, you must have stayed very strict and worked out like mad !
Old 12-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Yay SrfrGrl!

Mork, I'm new to this board, but welcome back I'm trying to hit 20 lbs in 30 days, too, and today was my first day, so we can be on that challenge together!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #157
Major LCF Poster!

YEs! Great!! It can be done. It is just getting through the first few days!! The cottage cheese was great for me. Just in the morning with my coffee.

CCGirl- I believe I just walked some on the treadmill. Maybe 30 minutes a day.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #158
Major LCF Poster!

I need to get groceries today!!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 PM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Speaking of groceries.....

I picked up a few, but came back with some questions...

The "lowest" skim cottage cheese I found said 1% milkfat, should I have gotten that or the nonfat?

I couldn't find any entirely nonfat or skim cheese. I thought I saw something about Laughing Cow, so I picked up on of those in "light." What else should I be looking for? Brands, keywords, etc?

I don't see pork specifically listed on the Stillman's list, but I see it mentioned by some posters. Allowed or is this a modification that some use?

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate everyone's help!

I was good and just had a garbage bag party with all the rest of the Christmas goodies and stuff in the fridge. I threw out a huge batch of amazing made-from-scratch white chocolate mousse. I died a little. LOL.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Hi Rosebud,
About the pork, it's not allowed on Strict Stillman's quick weight loss, but it is allowed on the Stillman's shape up plan.

I also find it difficult to find FF or skim cheese. I would like to know also the answer to what's better, FF or Low fat Cottage cheese.

Is the laughing cow FF or Low fat? I really like that brand and would like to add that as a snack if it's allowed.

I haven't found farmers cheese around here yet, but would like to try it.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Hi! Todays menu ended up being:

B-ground turkey with mustard
L- a chicken fillet
D- FF Mexican Blanco cheese (cottage cheese pressed to remove all the water)
and sateed with some pam cooking spray.

Water
Old 12-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #162
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Hoops
Stats: 5'9"
Hi everyone! I am so glad there is a group of you following Stillman's. It has been a LONG time since I've been around, but I quickly added pounds on the past 9 months and it was not due to a baby! I followed Stillman's many years ago to great success. I am sure I posted on here way back then. Anyway, I am ready to start up again now that it is chilly out and my jeans are too tight! I figure I'll do my shopping on Friday and begin Saturday.
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #163
Senior LCF Member

Welcome back Mork and Hoops!

Please post after you buy your vittles!
Mork, I am interested in your past meal plans since you had so much success.

Plan for today:
B-Eggs sunny side up, low sodium turkey bacon
L-a special lunch out with the boyfriend-fish , which I have been craving 2 days
Going to the movie theater after lunch.
D-I have a huge fresh turkey breast that will be baked

Snacks will be most likely fat free cottage cheese.

I'm replacing my crystal lite a day with unsweetened tea.
More Water.

My boyfriend doesn't read labels! He thought he could cheat with "little bits"
He gained 2 pounds yesterday from packaged chicken nugget jerky-beware! I also caught him munching on Doritos at the office-said they were his assistant's (that told me he snatch's them all the time from his desk), an apple, then he had popcorn as a late nite snack. He is sort of back on plan with me now since he stepped on the scale this morning and didn't like what it said to him. Maybe that's why he's taking me out for fish today. He tries to modify Stillman's but it doesn't work.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Rosebud, I picked up some of those laughing cow cheeses you mentioned. I remember I liked them, so glad you mentioned them!
Old 12-28-2012, 03:19 PM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mork View Post
YEs! Great!! It can be done. It is just getting through the first few days!! The cottage cheese was great for me. Just in the morning with my coffee.

CCGirl- I believe I just walked some on the treadmill. Maybe 30 minutes a day.
that's what did it for me, walk/jog 1.5 miles a day. I miss it. Of course, no can do this time of year, it's 18F at seven a.m., and I am NOT walking in that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud5t View Post
I picked up a few, but came back with some questions...

The "lowest" skim cottage cheese I found said 1% milkfat, should I have gotten that or the nonfat?

I couldn't find any entirely nonfat or skim cheese. I thought I saw something about Laughing Cow, so I picked up on of those in "light." What else should I be looking for? Brands, keywords, etc?

I don't see pork specifically listed on the Stillman's list, but I see it mentioned by some posters. Allowed or is this a modification that some use?

Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate everyone's help!

I was good and just had a garbage bag party with all the rest of the Christmas goodies and stuff in the fridge. I threw out a huge batch of amazing made-from-scratch white chocolate mousse. I died a little. LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrfrGirl View Post
Hi Rosebud,
About the pork, it's not allowed on Strict Stillman's quick weight loss, but it is allowed on the Stillman's shape up plan.

I also find it difficult to find FF or skim cheese. I would like to know also the answer to what's better, FF or Low fat Cottage cheese.

Is the laughing cow FF or Low fat? I really like that brand and would like to add that as a snack if it's allowed.

I haven't found farmers cheese around here yet, but would like to try it.
There are light and non fats in the shredded packets.

My step mom pointed something out to me years ago while looking at milk, when the fat goes down the sugars go up, so read your carb per serving labels carefully. In many cases the carbs are lowest when the fat and cals are higher.......so maybe a 1 or 2 percent will not be very different from the non fat stuff.
I know, TMI, right?

Also, when Dr. Stillman wrote his book, pork cuts were much fattier than now. I would have to check the values on Livestrong........personally, I wish they wouldn't trim the fat so much......
Quote:
Originally Posted by SrfrGirl View Post
Welcome back Mork and Hoops!

Please post after you buy your vittles!
Mork, I am interested in your past meal plans since you had so much success.

Plan for today:
B-Eggs sunny side up, low sodium turkey bacon
L-a special lunch out with the boyfriend-fish , which I have been craving 2 days
Going to the movie theater after lunch.
D-I have a huge fresh turkey breast that will be baked

Snacks will be most likely fat free cottage cheese.

I'm replacing my crystal lite a day with unsweetened tea.
More Water.

My boyfriend doesn't read labels! He thought he could cheat with "little bits"
He gained 2 pounds yesterday from packaged chicken nugget jerky-beware! I also caught him munching on Doritos at the office-said they were his assistant's (that told me he snatch's them all the time from his desk), an apple, then he had popcorn as a late nite snack. He is sort of back on plan with me now since he stepped on the scale this morning and didn't like what it said to him. Maybe that's why he's taking me out for fish today. He tries to modify Stillman's but it doesn't work.
O yes, jerky has loads of sugar these days. And, all of you, please read the Niave Vegetarian to really know why grain was never in the human diet until about the last nine thousand years. Considering we've been around for like 350,000 years, that's a mighty small patch of our evolution to have grains incorporated into our diets. They were never there to begin with which is why we have so many problems with them now.

The Naive Vegetarian
Old 12-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #166
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the info! After reading the labels, I feel okay with my 1% cheese. As you said, the carbs are lower. I didn't care for the laughing cow flavor I opened tonight, so only ate a tiny bit. I may try to bake it on some chicken tomorrow, though, to see if its better.

My schedule wasn't conducive to a logical breakdown of three meals and snacks, but I stayed on plan, eating mostly chicken, a little cottage cheese and some turkey. Lots of water, too. I was down .6 this morning, so far so good. I'll have an egg later if I get hungry for a snack. I'm looking around in the recipe board before getting more groceries tomorrow.

Happy Friday!!!!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #167
Senior LCF Member

Thanks CC & Rosebud:

I loved the laughing cow cheese! I had a great breakfast of eggs and turkey bacon with my beloved....

Then some phone calls caused me stress....won't bore you.

My date got canceled.

And I couldn't eat my lunch or go to a movie. I went ahead and baked the turkey, but only ate 2 bites. I have a whole lot left.

My saving grace is I just ate one laughing cow cheese at 9:10 pm.

Tomorrow will be better.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:47 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Shreem
Stats: na
WOE: Stillmans Low Carb, Low Fat
Start Date: January 2010
hey CC: you will be happy (i think), as I am not drinking what you call the "vegan kool aid" anymore!!! I'm finally convinced that I do not sustain the same kind of health that I do when eating all my proteins from eggs, milk products, chicken, fish, turkey!!! I feel great, my metabolism is revved and my skin is gorgeous!

Happy New Year everyone! Have we thought of a name for January 2013 yet?
Shreem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

O Shreem, I could go on and on about how my health deteriorated while vegan..........never again. Vegetables are a lovely surprise to the paleo woman, but not a necessity.

My mom has lost too much weight since my Dad passed and now we are racking our brains to find ways to gain paleo style.
There is no more bread in the house, that was the first to go. Dozens of bagels in the deep freeze, the wild peacocks loved them.

I have her on sweet potatoes and black bean soup for starters. Of course the easy way would be to eat bread and other high glycemic carbs, but that's not good. She now has walnuts and honey in her yogurt each morning. Full fat milk, sour cream. Lots of butter, she has to have a veg with her meat each night.

It's really the physical activity that's doing it. She always walked a mile each morning to stay fit but it's the 'digging the unit' (like Auction Hunters) that's doing it. He was a huge hoarder. Three months in and there are still parts of the house that she hasn't gotten to.

They came together late in life (1994) but it was the greatest love of all for both.

Last edited by CCGirl; 12-29-2012 at 03:53 AM..
Old 12-29-2012, 04:29 AM   #170
Senior LCF Member

thanks, CC! I am a now a believer in the protein--especially after trial and error!!! After starting a new stressful job in Sept.---there was just no way I could maintain a sense of health eating vegan. I'm feeling so much better just loading up on the animal food proteins.

I feel for your mother's grief!! Thinking good thoughts that she will soon feel better. She could not have a better person than you to care for her.

I experienced grief after the passing of one of my puppies that lived until age 16. For a whole month I had no appetite and it was not something I tried to do--that is the only time in my life that it happened and I did lose weight involuntarily. I started eating quite a bit of full fat cheese and almond butter, which brought my appetite back and my weight normalized after about two months. Salmon & Walnuts are very good, as the fats in these two foods are good for depression. Dark Chocolate might be something that helps. (lower in carbs and sugar, but some healthful things in there that might spark an appetite.)
Old 12-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Good morning all!

Hi Shreem! I'm the newbie 'round here, nice to "meet" you. I've never tried anything resembling a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, but good for you finding out what works for you and most importantly what makes you feel good.

Srfrgrl, I'm so sorry you had a rough day yesterday. Today is a new day!!!

CC, sounds like you've got your mom on the right track. Going through everything must be so difficult, but will likely help her gain closure.

Well, I weighed this morning at exactly 2 lbs down from where I started two days ago! I was worried about headaches in the first few days because I get terrible migraines, but haven't had one yet. Overall, I'm feeling really good!!! Today is a bit of cleaning and laundry, a few more groceries and maybe some Stillman-legal cooking experiments while relaxing the rest of the weekend.

I might even bust out my Pilates DVDs. I've done no exercise at all since my surgeries. I've been racking my brain and think I can do those even with my gimpy leg. I know even a little bit of exercise will help with the little emotional lows that are still a side effect of the radiation. I actually do really well losing weight without exercise if I'm eating right, but there are so many benefits, I've gotta get my buns in gear!!!

Have a fantastic day everyone!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #172
Senior LCF Member

congrats rosebud! low carb solved my migraines by 99%!!! also watch the cheese, nuts, chocolate, as they can trigger migraines as well.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Hi Shreem, CC, & Rosebud!

Rosebud, I feel better today, thanks! Let me know how your cooking experiments go! I'm so happy about your weight loss!

CC, much love to you and your mom.

Shreem, I also used to do the vegan thing and felt terrible. Wasn't for me. I even had the box of vegan raw diet delivered. Yuck.

I am going to do yesterday's plan and have my fish date and movie out. I may even buy a new outfit & an Epicurean face cream I have been wanting.

Happy new year my skinny friends!

OBTW, I lost half a pound overnight so I'm inspired. I got out my fish cookbook trying to get ideas.

Hey, what happened to Mork and Mim? If you are out there I would like to hear from you! Missing your posts.

Last edited by SrfrGirl; 12-29-2012 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Where is Mork & Mim?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #174
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Starting tomorrow instead of today.

SrfrGirl~ You mentioned you eat turkey bacon. I recently tried some a few months ago for the first time, and I love it. Can I have it as often as I want following Stillman's? Do you still see good losses when you eat it?

Cheese? Many of you mentioned eating cheese. Cheese is my favorite food, although I never had it when I followed Stillman's a few years ago. What do you all recommend?

I am hitting the grocery later today, so I appreciate all of your input on your favorites to eat.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #175
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
I'm still here- reading but not posting until I return home on the 3rd. No Internet here and posting from my phone is too awkward!
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Hi Laura~. I just started, so I haven't done much with cheese. I plan on having some light cheese but keeping it to a minimum.

A few cooking experiments:

I mixed a wedge of French onion laughing cow cheese with a little bit of cottage cheese and an egg into a pound of lean ground beef for "meatloaf" burgers. It ended up making nine good sized burgers out of one pound of meat, and they should be lower fat than the straight beef. I like the flavor, too.

I like sweet BBQ sauce, so I boiled down Heinz no sugar added ketchup with some diet ginger ale and added a dash of fresh ground garlic pepper. It's delicious! It's tangy enough that I won't need to use much at all, but it'll be just enough to add some flavor to white meat chicken, which I find a little bland and dry.

I tried the "pudding" recipe in the recipe sticky. Ummm... No. LOL. After it cooled, I stirred in a bit more Splenda and put it in the freezer, so I'll see in a little bit if it's any better as "ice cream." I'm not holding my breath.

The "oatmeal" recipe in the recipe sticky is pretty good. I added some imitation maple flavoring and still had to sprinkle a little Splenda on top to make it sweet, but not bad.

One more experiment to go, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 PM   #177
Senior LCF Member

My last experiment was trying to make something resembling pudding or mousse a little bit closer. I failed and think I'll just have to wait for maintenance when I can have some other LC dairy. The closest I came is a chocolate "custard".... The taste isn't too bad, so I can't tell if it's the texture that's throwing me off. Without milk or cream, it's just not creamy. Anyway, this was what I came up with...

1/2 c low fat cottage cheese puréed with 1/2 c water until smooth.
Beat in 3 eggs
1/4 c baking Splenda
Splash of vanilla and almond extracts
1/2 tsp bitter baking cocoa (could do without this)
1 tsp psyllium husk powder
Bake in 4 ramekins in water bath at 350 until knife comes out clean, approx 35 min.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #178
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
hi all, just popping in briefly. Had a very busy holiday, then 3 long driving days from Nebraska to Florida...dodging storms the whole way...very very glad to get to Florida and no more freezing air. It was getting really uncomfortable in Nebraska...breathing that cold air is just not good on the damaged lungs.

Ate off-plan for 3 days with Christmas (on purpose, planned to indulge and knew there would be consequences. Enjoyed the holiday party foods & beverages...know there will be some temporary weight gain, but totally OK with it.)

On the road, I packed my cooler, and ate very low-carb Atkins style, sticking with mostly low fat, too (had some salads with dressing...that had fat in it of course. But chicken, chicken, and more chicken.) Will get on the scale tomorrow to see what the damage of Christmas eating was...hope it's not too bad since I've had 3 good "recovery" days since.

Will read through the posts tomorrow and get caught up with everyone! Have a great Sunday all.

Cathy from Nebraska...now in Florida for the rest of the winter.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Rosebud thanks for reporting on your experiments! Keep them coming! You make me want to try these.

Hoops, I love turkey bacon and do not stall from it, then again I only eat 2 or three strips at a time. As for cheese you can have skim cheese such as cottage cheese. I don't think the brand matters so much.
Pot cheese, and farmers cheese. I am looking for farmer's cheese but haven't found it yet.

Tonight I had chicken chunks brushed with hot sauce & ginger powder. It was horrible. And I made it way to spicy. It is a recipe that definitely needs improvement.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:43 PM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you for the input, SrfrGirl. I read my book this evening, and sure enough skim cheese in moderation is in there as long as it is not part skim. I dislike cottage cheese so much, and I think farmer's cheese is a lot like cottage cheese. I've never seen it in the grocery store.

Rosebud~ You seem to enjoy making new foods. I bet you'll come up with many other tasty things.

I didn't make it to the store today. My vacuum stopped working suddenly this afternoon, so I ran out to buy another before I got together with a friend. I have fod here, so I will be good to go in the morning.

I was reading my book and Stillman says we should lose 5%-10% of our body weight every week, or about 10 pounds the first week and an average of 5 pounds per week until goal by following QWL. What have you all experienced with your actual weight loss?

Last edited by Hoops; 12-29-2012 at 11:45 PM..
Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote