Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar922 View Post
I had my 2 cheat meals and I am up almost 4 pounds! I know I didn't eat 14000 calories I ate a normal amount so its just the salt and carbs and my body's reaction to them but holy crap that was a scary sight to see this morning!

I am pounding back the water and hopefully will be back to normal in a couple days. I have 2 cheat meals again this weekend as its our anniversary so I will be more prepared for the water gain after that. Then I am gonna lose til I get busy over the holidays and my goal once I get there is to maintain til I start school again in January and then lose til I am at goal

It'll come off, Mar: you're doing the right thing with ..but isn't that just a cruel trick our bodies play...you KNOW you did not eat 14000 extra calories, but the danged scale says so. Heck of a punishment, huh. I just today finally lost all the Disney weight gain...which I know was mostly water (maybe a real lb. of weight in 3 days of off-plan eating) but still, took a full two weeks to lose the 11 lbs. the scale said I gained. I swear, carbs convert immediately to sponges in my body...and then soak up every bit of liquid...and hold onto it. Takes days & days to "squeeze those carb sponges dry" Hubby and I are coming to the conclusion that we cannot do more than one off-plan meal a week...not an off-plan day, not off-plan two days in a row...just takes too long to lose the instant water weight gain. Frustrating, but we'd rather keep losing at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mim View Post
I'm proud of myself. I had a terrible, horrible, really icky day yesterday. I was meeting a friend for dinner and I was feeling so rotten that I was thinking about eating one of everything on the menu. But I didn't. I ordered a chicken dish that was probably a bit carb laden, but no too bad. I had a salad and broccoli and a glass of red wine. I had hoped that since I had a mysterious pound gain yesterday, that this morning my meal would not show up on the scale. But I'm up half a pound. I am so frustrated. But I'll keep on keeping on. I have a meeting today where lunch will be served. I'm not going to eat lunch. I'll take my trusty tuna. Grrrr. But yesterday I did not turn to food when I was in such a funk, and no matter what the scale says I've worked hard and I'll continue to work hard to get this weight off.
Excellent Mim...these small victories really add up. I think every time we go through one of these challenges, it makes us stronger....then the next challenge is easier, in a way. At least we have the track record we can look back on and say "last time, I passed on the off-plan food, and was rewarded with a loss...or no gain. I'll take that result again."

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeslim View Post
Hello, hope all are doing well. As of tomorrow I will be checking in daily. I need to get back on plan just to get rid of this bloat feeling I get from carbs...yuk! Going to hit it hard for the next week or so....no cheats, no excuses!
Hi ya, MMS...glad to hear from you. Keep us posted on how you're doing...sometimes, I think we just need a "cleanse" of very very low carbs just to get back to feeling like everything is working write. Best wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
ReAlly- It's not that I never have any indulgences! I just try to keep them in check. For example, I would never 'buy' a cake because I know I'd eat the entire thing, but if I were having a restaurant meal for a special occasion (on vacation or a holiday), I might have dessert or I might dip into the bread basket (never both).

That has worked for me because it's portion controlled, and I've found that with a meal, I don't really get that 'sugar addiction' feeling that makes me want to continue eating forever.

These 'indulgences' are few, but psychologically, they allow me to realize that no food is always 'off limits.' I've explained before that when I'm tempted to indulge in something 'not good for me,' I do a quick, mental 'cost/benefit' analysis--what will be the 'cost' to me? The 'benefit'?

When I do this, the dessert or other indulgence rarely wins--but it can, and that's what keeps me sane.
Yep, that's where I'm at now...I learned to never say never, but the total off-plan foods are extremely rare. I agree that the psychological benefit of knowing that if I really, really, really want to have something...like a piece of pie...I could have it. Just knowing I could makes it easier to really think about it, and vast majority of time I decided that treat would not be worth the days it will take to get back in losing mode. But knowing I could...that's worth a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCGirl View Post
Mim, yay on feeling thin ! Mar, happy you're losing again like you want to.

Finally not bloated today, be gone stomach bug !

ReA, good post. Well said.

Pretty quiet on the ranch here. Plotting my hunter gatherer day for tomorrow. No meat is safe

BFF is taking me out Sunday for my unbirthday. I have decided I don't need or want any more of them. I want to go to one of those enormous Chinese buffets. Then to Marshalls.
Hi CCGirl...hope you're well on the way to feeling good. And go ahead and celebrate those birthdays...when you stop having birthdays, you're dead

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5

Last edited by catne; 11-20-2012 at 07:42 AM..
catne is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #92
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Cathy- Just a quick comment about how easily we can gain. I had my annual check up yesterday with my cardiologist, and he was congratulating me on maintaining my weight loss because he said that he sees so many patients who lose weight, but the next time he sees them, they've re-gained it all.

He explained what I've known for a while, but it was nice to hear it explained medically--i.e., we never lose our fat cells. They just 'collapse,' but the body is always eager to re-fill them. Thus, once there's been a major weight loss, and the body has a lot of those empty fat cells, it not only keeps sending 'hunger' signals to try to get more food (so that there's an excess to fill the cells), it will very eagerly store water whenever possible to inflate those fat cells. While you were naturally distressed, your body was thrilled to add those pounds at Disney

That's why for anyone who has been obese as I have, effective weight management is a lifetime challenge--but one that is worth the effort!
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:17 AM   #93
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: CCGirl
Stats: 200/155/140 5'8"
WOE: Paleo w/dairy
Start Date: 4-15-2010
LOL Cat, I'm not dead I'm just 39......again !!!!!!!!!

{{{{{{{{{{MMS}}}}}}}}}}}

nice to see the little victories around...........they all add up to bigger ones down the road !

I finally got rid of that bloaty stomach thing, so nice to see flat tummy in the mornings !

I suspect the board will be fairly quiet the next few days for the holidays so best wishes to you all for a safe, happy and guilt/stress free Thanksgiving !!!!!!!
CCGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Old 11-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #95
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mim
Stats: too much/not as much/150
WOE: primal Stillmans!
Start Date: March 13, 2012
Good morning! I am struggling - so what else is new? But I'm winning - IO'm down a half pound. I had lunch at the meeting yesterday. I got there and sat down at a table to chat and one of my colleagues got up and brought me my lunch. So I ate it. The problem I have with off plan meals is the cravings afterward. And last night, between the lunch and the gain I had, I was ready to eat junk. But I didn't and I'm down half a pound and I'll enjoy my low carb Thanksgiving - for several days! I have a turkey, cranberries and the fixings for a cauliflower dish to replace stuffing. Life is good! I'm thankful for this group - where our struggles get turned into victories!

I'm going to walk to the office in bit and then I've gotta pick up a Christmas present that I ordered that is in, and then do a visitation, and then I'm finished for the day.
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:09 AM   #96
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

IMHO, slow and steady wins the race......ironically, even on the QWL method

YAY on the half pound MIM ! Thats fifteen pounds a month, I would soooo take that !

And it's amazing how most events involve food, battling with what you should eat and not offending..........

All we have is today, friends. Make the most of it.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starzmom
I've been busy but I didn't forget this place. I've been doing more Atkins but trying to get back to Stillman's. Here's hoping all of us do alright tomorrow on Thanksgiving!!
I'm wishing you all losses before the end of this year.
Starzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Thanksgiving All

Enjoy your Turkey Day!
Old 11-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #99
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ReAlly
Stats: 249/244.7/145
WOE: What works for me
Start Date: Each morning
I had started a new thread yesterday because today is Day 1. As Mim suggested, I'll put it here because it's much more active here.

Day 1: 244.7

I knew something different would happen today, and assumed that it was because I am restarting to get pregnant. I can often sense something is about to happen but don't know what.

Well, now it makes sense. I just found out my father has advanced liver cancer. He's been in and out of hospital all week, but only worked it out this morning. Hearing my father in tears is one of the most moving things I've ever experienced.

I really hope that I can bring children in the world soon enough to meet my wonderful father.

Here is to making better decisions for our health to have a better life.
ReAlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #100
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

ReAlly, I'm sorry to hear about your father. It is hard. Congratulations on starting your weight loss journey, and thank you for doing it with us! Working towards a specific goal helps, I think. And you have such a wonderful goal! New life for you so that you and your husband can bring new life to be!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:54 AM   #101
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

I hope all those who celebrated Thanksgiving yesterday had a good one. I had a quiet one which I really enjoyed. It will take me about two ays to eat my Thanksgiving leftovers - low carb but not low fat. I'm ok with not losing for a few days. I am very proud of myself for staying on plan and enjoying my food!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #102
Senior LCF Member

ReAlly - I'm very sorry to hear about your father. I hope you have some good time with him.

I'm always on day one as well. I did behave yesterday. Had one plate but not all low carb. There was some brown sugar and honey in the sweet potatoes but had a small portion. No desserts. Back to low carb Stillman style today.

Hope everyone gets back on plan easily.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:15 AM   #103
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! Well, I did Thanksgiving my way, then went to lunch with friends yesterday and stuffed my face! I got right back on plan and am feeling good. I'm going to finish up my Thanksgiving food today - a cauliflower dish and cranberry sauce made with splenda and turkey. Then it is back to straight still mans! I want to lose 12 pounds by Christmas. Hey, it could happen! : )
Old 11-24-2012, 03:33 AM   #104
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Oh! I forgot to tell y'all, I did a bit of Black Friday shopping. OK, I didn't start until 11 am, but it still was pretty brave of me, eh? My DD and my son's girlfriend went shopping in Michigan and got three of the four girls a Christmas Cabbage Patch Doll that was unique to Target. But one more was needed. So, I went to two Targets on my way to meet friends for lunch - no luck. Then I got my hair cut and came home by way of another Target and found it! They had one left. I win the best grandma award for the day!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Saturday, everyone!

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving (and just a plain ol' great week for our friends in the UK and Canada!)
We've had a very pleasant holiday...We started partying on Wednesday night, and continued basically until about 11 AM today. Last guests will be leaving this afternoon (daughter & her fiance stayed yesterday for Football on TV, a little black Friday shopping, and they'll be leaving later today...today they're out looking at wedding venues)

We're just watching football today...slowly putting away Fall decor & getting the Christmas decor out. Daughter finished decorating our tree yesterday so all that's left is putting the little stuff here & there throughout the house.

Good news is, hubby & I managed to stay 100% Atkins-legal through the entire holiday...starting Wednesday night...we went out to see James Bond movie & then restaurant steak dinner with 2 of our grown kids. Then we had Turkey Day here, with several people staying over Wednesday through Friday night. Found the best trick to stay out of the carbs, and avoid getting exhausted from all that cooking: local grocery store's catering department packages fully cooked, carved, heated & ready-to-eat turkey/ham feast! They're open until 4 on Thanksgiving Day so we could pick up the hot food and bring it home, put it on the hot plates & serve. MOST AWESOME way to do a holiday meal for 8 people! I didn't have to make the potatoes, stuffing, gravy, etc that it would be so hard to not taste ( and eat too much during & after the preparation!) One of our guests brought the pies...so I didn't have to be around the desserts either. I did make green beans w/mushrooms & bacon so hubby & I would have some tasty legal veggies...several guests liked those too. We had celery sticks, pickles, & olives we could crunch on...I made cranberry salad w/sugar free cranberry jello & real cranberries (extra sweetening with splenda) Had fresh strawberries with whipped cream and pumpkin-one-minute-muffin slathered with sweetened mascarpone cheese for our dessert. ATE WAY TOO MUCH, of course. We had some wine, too. Don't have any keto-stix around here, but based on the way I feel, I suspect I'm still in ketosis even if I'm eating too much too lose this week. (Was really, really nice to have an extended holiday with no carb-crash-tiredness at all...glad we stocked up on low-carb-legal alternatives that would be special, but not mess with the metabolism.)

And best of all, even after nearly 3 days of over-eating the scrumptious-but-legal-low-carb-foods

...up only .4 lbs this morning. YIPPEE!

and I'm pretty sure that's not actual weight gain...just excess water.

Daughter is taking all the remaining carby foods home when they go home so no more temptation for us!

Feeling really good about it all today...

And Mim, way to go on finding the doll. I've done that kind of thing a few times and it's a great mission-accomplished-feeling. I'll join you in the lose-12...but I'm saying lose-12 by end of December. Don't know if I'll make it, but worth trying!

ReAlly, so sorry about your dad's illness. That's a hard one! Best wishes on losing the weight, and then getting a baby. That's a great incentive. One day at a time WILL work.

Hello to everyone else...hope you're having a great last-weekend in November (hard to believe it's almost December...this year is going soooo fast.)

Last edited by catne; 11-24-2012 at 10:43 AM..
Old 11-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

mim- I agree, very brave of you shopping on black Friday. I haven't braved that in many years!

catne- You did a great low carb T-day. Great idea not to cook the carby stuff!

Ate too much yesterday. Still trying to get into the Stillman groove.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hoping everyone's holiday was nice..........

ReA, my heart goes out to you and your family such grim news.....

Blessed Sunday to all
Old 11-25-2012, 05:52 AM   #108
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good Sunday morning! I woke up and came downstairs ad spent some quiet time with my Christmas tree. : ) This afternoon I'll listen to the football game (Steelers v Browns) and work on the grandgirls stockings and wrapping presents. And staying on plan! I pulled some shrimp out to thaw. It is a fun time! And it feels so good to be on plan and to have enjoyed Thanksgiving without a big gain and carb hangover. Life is good!
Old 11-25-2012, 06:50 AM   #109
Senior LCF member

I did fine on Thanksgiving with basically Atkins eating, but yesterday, I fell into a peanut/almond butter abyss that is keeping me off the scales until Stillman provides damage control.

One thing I realized is that although I get 'cravings' for nut butters, I actually prefer eating Sillman style--with an occasional Atkins day.

I've proven that I have no control with nut butters, but now I know that there's no need to ever buy them because while I might intend a T as an 'occasional treat,' I know now that I am incapable of such balanced eating with this stuff.

I suspect that the 'cravings' come from my 'lower brain' because I know that I really prefer eating cleanly. It's nice to be back on track.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Leo - I can get that way with peanut butter as well. I'm worse with actual nuts. Unfortunately I do have to purchase these items for others so I just try not to look at them often. lol Well I do have to prepare pb and jelly so some finger licking does go on!
Looking at your stats you have had some amazing weight loss. Congratulations to you on that!
Mim- I'm so glad you're on plan. I'm working on getting there.

Happy Sunday everyone. Monday's always a good recommittment day.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 AM   #111
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! I woke up to that "thin" feeling! I've been on plan and all the puffiness is gone! And I've lost 2 of the 12 I want to lose by Christmas. This morning I'm going to walk to work and I may even do that twice, as I've got a meeting late afternoon.

I do not keep peanut butter in the house. I have no control! It is easy for me to only keep on plan food since I live alone.

Happy Monday!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 AM   #112
Senior LCF member

Mim- I live alone, too, but I'm great at talking myself into buying peanut butter when I know I shouldn't!

Starzmom-
I find that I can manage nuts just fine--if they're unsalted. The salted ones are totally addicting. I buy nuts to use when I travel, but I have found that I can keep them in the freezer and never bother with them--if they're unsalted.

It feels great to be back on track and eating clean!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Monday to all!

Just one month to Christmas...giving myself the gift of thinner me, rockin' around my Christmas tree. Found a couple of inexpensive sparkly shirts in my size so I'm set for festive-dressing.

Down .4 lb. this AM, so I'm at my pre-holiday weekend weight. And I hope that means I'm back on the losing mode and not just the maintaining mode anymore...was great not to gain a bunch over the 4 day holiday, but really want to get more off before the end of the year

I cleaned out all the remaining higher-carb fruits & veggies by Sunday night (Atkins legal stuff for the holiday weekend, but higher carbs that what we want for losing weight.)

Now that the holiday weekend is over, guests and "good stuff" are all gone, well, we're back to plainer, leaner foods...actually looking forward to the simplicity of it after 4 days of fancier Atkins-legal variety. Sometimes I think I eat more simply because there's more choices...with more boring food, I'll often skip eating something because I'm not "that hungry" when the choices are boring

I can't do the nut butters either...fall into the too-tasty, and too-many-calories. I find it way too easy to eat hundreds of calories of those in "just a snack" so I avoid all the nut butters these days. We don't have any kids around, either...which makes it easier (two of my kids just about lived on peanut butter when little...wouldn't eat any meat or eggs for several years! Remember the pediatrician said as long as they're getting protein in the peanut butter, they'll be OK)
And Leo, I'm with you on the salted nuts...something about the salt really, really enhances the appeal of nuts. I honestly could take it or leave it on unsalted nuts...just not that good to me. For travel, we buy the individually packaged one-serving size nuts (like the Nut-rition ones that come in 6 packs.) Somehow I have better control when (1) somebody else counts out & pre-packages exactly ONE serving for me and (2) when that packaging makes it such an expensive snack, lol. When it costs close to a $1 a serving it's much easier for me to have just one pack.

Hope everyone has a great week...it's a good week to get a flying start at losing in December, a little lull in the action between holidays!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #114
Senior LCF member

Cathy- I hear you on the portion control with nuts. Even with the unsalted ones, it's easy to eat them mindlessly--and they are all highly caloric.

But I'm cheap, so I portion them myself into zip-lock baggies. I do it as soon as I buy them and store them in portion-sized bags.

Yes, I could eat multiple bags at one sitting, but somehow the fact that I know I should only eat a single portion keeps me from overdoing it. And I only eat them on my one fat-allowed day each week (while I'm doing Stillman). Because of that, when I return to my usual low-carb eating, I never think of eating nuts on a daily basis.

Now if I could gain similar control with nut butters, it would be nice. But I'm through trying for a while because I've proved to myself that it's not yet possible.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #115
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Good morning! I continue to see the scale move downwards! I was a pound lighter a few weeks ago. It lasted for a day! But I'm going to move even below that weight - I've lost 2.5 of the 12 I want to lose by Christmas. And my body is shrinking again.

I've lots to do today - starting with walking to work. Happy Tuesday!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Happy Tuesday everyone!
I've lost 2.5 pounds in the past three days. Probably just getting rid of carb bloat but I'm happy and on my way to more loss and less appetite with Stillman's.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Good morning! I continue to see the scale move downwards! I was a pound lighter a few weeks ago. It lasted for a day! But I'm going to move even below that weight - I've lost 2.5 of the 12 I want to lose by Christmas. And my body is shrinking again.

I've lots to do today - starting with walking to work. Happy Tuesday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starzmom View Post
Happy Tuesday everyone!
I've lost 2.5 pounds in the past three days. Probably just getting rid of carb bloat but I'm happy and on my way to more loss and less appetite with Stillman's.
AWESOME, ladies! Now send that 2.5 loss my way, puhleeeez! I'm losing at a very slow rate (like .2 or .4 ) Would rather lose at your speed
Old 11-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #118
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Hi ladies
Just wondering if Stillman's allows you to burn body fat more effectively than a high fat low carb plan.
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #119
Mim
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeaniem View Post
Hi ladies
Just wondering if Stillman's allows you to burn body fat more effectively than a high fat low carb plan.
Yup! There is a scientific reason this is true, but better than reading about it is doing it and watching the pounds melt off!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #120
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: jeaniem
Stats: 166/?/?
WOE: lc
Quote:
Yup! There is a scientific reason this is true, but better than reading about it is doing it and watching the pounds melt off!
Are you hungry most of the time? I was thinking of maybe doing an alternate day plan using a higher fat day. I also would incorporate a big high protein breakfast each day.

Last edited by jeaniem; 11-27-2012 at 04:08 PM..
jeaniem is offline   Reply With Quote