Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Stillman's (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/stillmans/)
-   -   ideal weight (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/stillmans/787305-ideal-weight.html)

pauld 10-23-2012 06:19 AM

ideal weight

I have been doing the Stillman's diet for 5 days and following it to the letter, everything is going well. I bought a second hand copy of the book and was confused by one thing his recommendation on ideal weight. For a 5'6 man he says my ideal weight should be 130 and if I were a model etc 125. I just cannot imagine myself at 130 never mind 125. I am just curious how he got to those numbers. I currently weight 157 and my goal is 148 (I started at 165).

Jillo 10-23-2012 08:40 AM

I'll bet you have a lot more muscle mass than Dr Stillman had in mind when he designed the diet in 1967.

Leo41 10-23-2012 08:43 AM

Paul- My advice is to ignore any 'ideal weight' charts. Your 'ideal' weight is the one at which you look and feel your best. And it can be very different for individuals at the same height because there are a variety of factors involved.

BrattyS 10-23-2012 09:15 AM

What Leo said..

I am 5'7" female and am hoping to get to 150 but that may change to something higher or lower. I will decide when I get closer.

pauld 10-23-2012 09:19 AM

Thanks you're both probably right, I was just curious as to his rationale behind the numbers. I'll let you know when I reach my goal which should not be too long. In the meantime I am logging everything into ****** and tracking my weight with my Tanita scale.

pauld 10-26-2012 02:30 AM

I just wanted to post a quick progress report. Started this diet last Friday, 20th October at 165 lbs it is now the 26th October and I weigh 156 lbs. I am using this diet specifically as a vehicle to burn the fat on the lower abs and back. I have been eating either steamed chicken or lean beef mince, drinking bottled water exclusively and taking a multi vitamin. Usually I eat good quality meats with higher fats and large salads, and the water (will be going back to this for maintenance). Exercise wise, usually a lot of cardio every day (swimming and walking) and some body weight exercises at home in the evenings. Cut the cardio out during the diet (would have made me too hungry) just do a reduced body weight exercise regime at the moment. Will update at goal weight.

BrattyS 10-26-2012 07:55 AM

That is fabulous. Keep it up!

catne 10-26-2012 08:34 AM

Wonderful progress...looks like your results are right on target.

And those height/weight charts Dr Stillman were operating from were the actual REAL height/weight for normal people in the 1960s and before. At that weight the average 5'6" man would be what they used to call "wiry"...all muscle & bone, virtually no fatty tissue. Which is what a lot of people in the 1960s and before looked like. Far less "rounded" people back in the day. Take a look at pictures of WW II soldiers if you want to see what I'm talking about. Notice how thin the majority of the faces are, yet if you see pictures of soldiers in the Pacific theater (like sailors) wearing uniforms with short sleeves...where you can see their arms, you see nothing but muscle on their arms. They were not under-nourished, just more physical labor to stay in shape, and smaller food portions considered normal.

The standards for ideal weight were based on a leaner pattern, and smaller people in general. For example, in World War II, the average American soldier at induction was much smaller than the average male today. In WW II, the average American soldier getting a new uniform was 5' 8" tall; 144 pounds in weight; 33 " chest measurement; 31" waist measurement. And that's the AVERAGE, so obviously there were just as many men at 5'6" and 5'10"...still not tall by today's standards. There's a lot of middle schoolers today that are bigger than that...and these were considered able-bodied men.

To really get a good idea of how much the sizes of people have changed, visit a museum that has real clothing from yesteryear...amazing how small the women's waists are, and how narrow the shoulders and hips are on the men's clothing (like dress uniform from an officer...which would have been hand-made and fitted exactly to the person wearing it.) We went through some Civil War museums a few years back...what struck us was how small all the clothes were...then looked like children's sizes. Yet they were dresses a mother of 6 had worn...and her husband was a well know high-ranking officer.

pauld 10-26-2012 10:40 AM

Hi Cathy,

That is very interesting perspective of things.

catne 10-26-2012 11:08 AM

Paul, did you look at any modern height/weight charts...the ones I find have 136-164 being ideal for your height (with the 136 being the lowest a small-framed man should be, and the 164 being the highest a large-framed man should be.)

So it has definitely changed since Stillman wrote that book.

That said, all these are just suggestions of the "ideal", and gosh, who wants to be perfect, right.:rofl:

pauld 10-27-2012 11:31 AM

I think what is ideal is up to the individual in terms of aesthetics but its nice to know the range in terms of health. In my case in terms of the first as soon as I see definition in all my abs then I know I have reached my goal. I know it will be a life long struggle because that level is high. Everyone has their own goals.

pauld 10-28-2012 06:18 PM

I ate a lot of carbs over the weekend and have ruined most of last weeks gains. I now stand at 163 lbs. I know most of it is water weight, so will be interesting to see how long it takes this week to get back to 156. Another interesting thing which leads on from this is that in my normal way of eating which is high protein, high fat and salad and water - when I do eat high carbs on the weekend I only spike by max 4 pounds and the weight goes down quickly again within 2 days or so. So Stillman's in very unforgiving and an intermediary step )which he talks about in the book) is needed to anchor the newly established weight. I will carry on forward, this is an adventure!