Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Stillman's
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zenpeacock
Stats: 205/198/150
WOE: VLC
Start Date: Restart 1/2/14
Day 1 - what else should I expect?

I'm jumping on the Stillman's bandwagon. I've been doing LCHF for months now and keep losing the same 5-7 lbs. It definitely gave me lots of energy and I felt great, but I think I was just overeating - the fat never really satisfied me like I thought it would.

So, now it's LCLF, and so far a very clean day 1. It'll take a little getting used to, but simplicity is nice. However, I am having a massive headache that just will not quit.

Having done LC for so long, I never really had any kind of "induction flu" ... is that what this headache is? Anything else I should expect, so if I start to feel a bit "off" I can be assured it will pass?

I'm eating 6 small meals a day with plenty of water. So far today I've eaten:
3 hardboiled eggs, 2 without whites, 1 with
1 cup of black coffee
1 5 oz. skinless, boneless chicken breast that was cooked in fat free chicken broth, and a half cup of that hot broth.
Peppermint herbal tea (straight) and so far 51 oz. of water
Dinner will likely be some homemade broiled turkey burgers with mustard. And possibly snack on some chicken and/or broth if I'm hungry before dinner.

I'm very committed and if it weren't for the blasted headache, I'd feel great.

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated!
zenpeacock is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Hi Zen. The headaches usually stay until day three of stillmans for me. On day three, they are gone, my energy is better, and I feel a deep ketosis by breath alone. Your menu looks excellent.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the reply - it's good to see some recent activity on this board.

I'm curious what causes the headache. Lower calories? Less fat? Perhaps it's the lack of splenda in my morning coffee? I opted to go without artificial sweeteners, since everything else on the menu is so ... bland.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
My headaches are usually from tiredness and lack of caffeine...do you usually drink more coffee than that? Or do you usually drink diet caffeinated soda and you're not? I drink both coffee (lots of it) and diet pepsi (couple of cans a day) and have not had any negative issues with that. So if you're usually having more caffeine than one cup of joe, then I would say you're going through caffeine withdrawal.

Other question...are you taking a daily multi-vitamin/mineral supplement. That can also help the symptoms of "induction flu"

As for what you're eating...you may not be eating enough. I found myself to be ravenously hungry the first 3 days, and that did not feel so good. So I just upped the amount of lean protein I was eating...2 eggs for breakfast, but more for lunch & dinner (like 6-10 oz. burgers or chicken breast.)

After the first few days, my appetite went down quite a bit and most days I'd only eat 5-8 oz lean meat at meals.

There's a monthly Stillman's thread going...look for October in the thread title...usually end up with many pages of posts each month.

RE-START date 3/06/2012

-65 lbs. Club for 2012 Re-start! Now at lowest weight in 8 years. Down 75 lbs. from all-time highest weight.

2013 losses= -5

Last edited by catne; 10-03-2012 at 01:25 PM..
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpeacock View Post
Thanks for the reply - it's good to see some recent activity on this board.

I'm curious what causes the headache. Lower calories? Less fat? Perhaps it's the lack of splenda in my morning coffee? I opted to go without artificial sweeteners, since everything else on the menu is so ... bland.
I have no idea. I gave up coffee, but kept diet sodas so mine could be partly caffeine related. Although last time I wasn't a coffee drinker and still had the headaches. Maybe it's just the lower carbs? It pushes us into a whole new level of ketosis, in my opinion.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I typically drink 2-4 cups of coffee in the mornings on regular LC, but since I'm not taking in any cream, I've dropped down to 1 a day (black). And then I'm following that with herbal peppermint tea and water for the day. I don't like how diet sodas make me feel, so I rarely drink them.

On the up side, my headache is much better today so far. Fingers crossed.

I'll look for the October thread and jump on over there.
Thanks for all the insights!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: catne
Stats: XXX/X/???
WOE: Low Carb, Cycling Atkins/Stillmans
Start Date: restart 3/06/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpeacock View Post
I typically drink 2-4 cups of coffee in the mornings on regular LC, but since I'm not taking in any cream, I've dropped down to 1 a day (black). And then I'm following that with herbal peppermint tea and water for the day. I don't like how diet sodas make me feel, so I rarely drink them.

On the up side, my headache is much better today so far. Fingers crossed.

I'll look for the October thread and jump on over there.
Thanks for all the insights!
I found that switching to hazelnut coffee or french vanilla coffee helped with the no-more-cream in the coffee. I don't like black coffee all that much, but brewing a pot of Dunkin Donuts or Folgers flavored coffee works for me. There's no sugar or AS in it, just the flavored coffee.

Coffee has a lot of health benefits I don't want to miss out on, so I found this work-around to keep my caffeine intake going strong
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I love me some hazelnut coffee! I'll have to invest when I go shopping, great idea. I'm finding the herbal teas are really nice to sip on - for some reason drinking all this water makes me so thirsty, but I get bored of plain water.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jillo
Stats: 247/197/175 5'7"
WOE: MEDI on my own
Start Date: March 2013
Seltzer water and club soda are my go-to drinks right now - when I want something more than plain water, but not sweet, and cold (and I'm too lazy to make iced tea)
Jillo is offline   Reply With Quote